Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 20:11   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Try and get your hands on the new 911 Turbo. That would be an interesting review.

Oh, and what are your thoughts on the new Maserati Ghibli?
Will definitely try and secure a test drive of both the cars an get back with my reviews. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Hey ecks
5 for me personally is a harsh score, especially from an ex LP640 owner. Nevertheless, the question that pops up in my mind is if the Aventador that you drove was the 2013 model year or earlier? I have a clue, that you have a clue, why i asked that question?
Doc, I do not follow. What clue?

And as for my assessment, in hind sight I feel that driving the Bentley and the Aventador back to back probably played against the latter. The comfort level and interior space may have been exaggerated by my mind as I literally jumped from one to the other. So maybe I can re-assess the interior space at a different time , but it won't change my perspective too much. It is also interesting to note that you say 5 is "too harsh" , as though any thing less than 10/10 would've sufficed ? Ha ha! *wink wink*.

I would agree that I was looking for very specific improvements , and in that sense I was disappointed , as Lamborghini has indeed improved each and every aspect of the car vs the LP640 , but as per me , what I wanted wasn't there. And this can be directly attributed to Lamborghini's arch rival , the Ferrari. It has truly spoiled me. The interior space between the two is clearly favoring the Ferrari , and so is transmission and the general usability of each. I agree that such comparisons are very subjective , hence for me personally , the Ferrari wins over my heart. Both brands target very different clients. I love both for what they offer. I will still buy the Gallardo successor , there is no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Hey ecks, would love to read a detailed review on the 458 and pictures too. And would like to know how the experience has been so far with the DBS, from the day of its purchase ? Pictures too. Hope you're not selling it.
Will do that, along with review of the Aston as well. And no , no plans to sell any of the exotics.
ecksreturns is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:10   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post

Doc, I do not follow. What clue?

And as for my assessment, in hind sight I feel that driving the Bentley and the Aventador back to back probably played against the latter. The comfort level and interior space may have been exaggerated by my mind as I literally jumped from one to the other. So maybe I can re-assess the interior space at a different time , but it won't change my perspective too much. It is also interesting to note that you say 5 is "too harsh" , as though any thing less than 10/10 would've sufficed ? Ha ha! *wink wink*.

I would agree that I was looking for very specific improvements , and in that sense I was disappointed , as Lamborghini has indeed improved each and every aspect of the car vs the LP640 , but as per me , what I wanted wasn't there. And this can be directly attributed to Lamborghini's arch rival , the Ferrari. It has truly spoiled me. The interior space between the two is clearly favoring the Ferrari , and so is transmission and the general usability of each. I agree that such comparisons are very subjective , hence for me personally , the Ferrari wins over my heart. Both brands target very different clients. I love both for what they offer. I will still buy the Gallardo successor , there is no doubt about that.

I see where you're coming from. Will also mention that there are a few more I've known who have been spoilt by the comfort they've found in some Aventador, direct or indirect competitors.

The clue thing was that the model year 2013 Aventador has gone through various engine, gearbox and suspension changes making it more civilized or in other words drive-able. These changes amplify the driving experience especially in our almost disgraceful driving environment. So it will be quite interesting to know which one did you drive?

I just mentioned you specifically because I expected an ex LP640 owner to appreciate the Aventador better. But that's me. We all have opinions, diverse enough to make supercars so interesting.

It was good to read about your views on various machines and looking forward to reading more. I am almost certain, the Gallardo replacement is going to be bonkers.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:44   #1923
Senior - BHPian

So , as requested , here are my reviews on the Aston Martin DBS and the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Aston :

What I absolutely love - The steering , the sound , and the looks !
Not so much - Gear lacks feel , suspension is heavily GT tuned , interior tech is outdated

The aston is absolutely gorgeous to look at , no matter from what angle one looks at it. The front end is especially bedazzling , with it's nostrils , arched fenders and all. I really love the bubble rear window and the lip of the bootlid.

The first thing that caught my attention when driving the car (and it is something that still does) is the steering feel and weight of the steering. I personally feel that the Aston steering is TIED with that of the 458 , and that is a HUGE compliment for an Aston. The size of the steering wheel , it's positioning vis a vis the chest of the driver , its weight and balance is bellissimo(beautiful) !

I believe my DBS is the only one(probably the only Aston) in the country with a manual gear box. And boy does it make you feel special. There is something about a front engine v12 with rear wheel drive and a 6 speed manual that is just fantastic. The gears are well spaced and the shifter is good but not great. It is indeed very GT-esque , in that it is soft and rubbery in feel , with a nice "thud" at each gate. The clutch , brake and accelerator pedal are well spaced , perfect for heel-and-toe.

One modification I have made for the exhaust is that I have unplugged the fuse that controls the exhaust valves , so the valves stay open at all times. Hence the glorious noise at all rpm's! The torque delivery is very uniform and smooth and the engine just loves to rev to the limiter in any gear.

The drive is sublime and very comfortable. The seats are fantastic and very comfortable for long journeys. The optional B&O sound system is also very very nice.

Personal Rating - 8/10

458 :

What I absolutely love - Everything!

The 458 is somewhat of a dream car to me. It was my first experience with owning a Ferrari(we had the F430 in the US , which I had driven and did not like at all) in India. The whole experience was very special for me , even keeping in mind the alleged dubious nature of the dealer in India.

I won't wax and wane about the looks of the car as that is already a well known fact here. Let's talk about the driving experience.

The steering is most definitely the best in the business. Ask any one who has driven a bunch of super cars and the Ferrari would stand out for having probably the best steering setup in the industry. Turn to turn it is crisp and tight. Turning radius is very short , which is good! Feedback from the wheel is fantastic and the car just darts around at the slightest of input.

The interior is my favorite part. For a car that is soooo compact , the interior is very spacious. Well designed , futuristic and timeless. I have grown to like the steering wheel layout and yes it is a bit cumbersome , but I like it now.

The engine in this car is a gem! It is for a reason that it won so many awards. It revs like a bike engine! Almost as though the fly wheel is made out of air! The sound at any rpm is wonderful. It remains quiet below 5k rpm and then opens up post that. The sound can be made even more menacing with a flick of the mannetino to Race mode!

This car really does everything splendidly. I can drive this car 200kms every day , all day without breaking a sweat. It is the only car I'd ever take to the race track for competitive driving. And imagine that these words were typically reserved for Porsches!

Personal Rating - 10/10!

Will post pictures in a short while.
ecksreturns is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 15:57   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there ecks, post reading your review saw the Top Gear test of the DBS and was amazed at how Jeremy loved it and was trying to compare it with a Ferrari. But you need not worry as you have the best of both worlds!!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 16:27   #1925
Senior - BHPian

I might be wrong,but isnt the black WB reg Delhi DBS manual?
Old 4th December 2013, 16:30   #1926
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for that review mate. The 458 sounds glorious in Corsa mode
And how does the Cali pitch against the 458? Now I know its a notch down but its a V8, so just curious.

And India's first F12s have landed mate. While the grey one is sold, the red one is yet to find a buyer, so would it be possible to get your hands on that and review it? Just cant wait to see the F12 getting rated 12/10

Last edited by manson : 4th December 2013 at 16:34.
A.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:16   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Nice review there ecks, post reading your review saw the Top Gear test of the DBS and was amazed at how Jeremy loved it and was trying to compare it with a Ferrari. But you need not worry as you have the best of both worlds!!

Ha Ha! Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I might be wrong,but isnt the black WB reg Delhi DBS manual?
No idea buddy. May be you are correct. I am not aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
Thanks a ton for that review mate. The 458 sounds glorious in Corsa mode
And how does the Cali pitch against the 458? Now I know its a notch down but its a V8, so just curious.

And India's first F12s have landed mate. While the grey one is sold, the red one is yet to find a buyer, so would it be possible to get your hands on that and review it? Just cant wait to see the F12 getting rated 12/10

The California has a charm of it's own. The suspension is "wafty" as compared to other Ferrari cars. The engine is still a ferocious animal ! It is a really good GT car , the Cali , as it was meant to be. Something about a Ferrari that makes one feel special , and this car does that too! I really like the design of the car. It left a lot of people polarized , but I definitely like the design a lot.

Edit 1 - No , I won't be able to test drive the F12. The dealer does not allow any test drives whatsoever. I have my sights set on it though. Expect to see it in our garage sometime in the second half of 2014. =)
ecksreturns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:22   #1928
Senior - BHPian

And here are the pictures! All credit goes to my good friend Sanchit Malhotra.
Attached Thumbnails
Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-edit-1.jpg  

Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-edit-2.jpg  

Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-edit-3.jpg  

Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-edit-4.jpg  

ecksreturns is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:25   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics there, would love to see all the Garage mates together!!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 19:35   #1930
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post

Ha Ha! Thank you for your kind words!

No idea buddy. May be you are correct. I am not aware.

The California has a charm of it's own. The suspension is "wafty" as compared to other Ferrari cars. The engine is still a ferocious animal ! It is a really good GT car , the Cali , as it was meant to be. Something about a Ferrari that makes one feel special , and this car does that too! I really like the design of the car. It left a lot of people polarized , but I definitely like the design a lot.

Edit 1 - No , I won't be able to test drive the F12. The dealer does not allow any test drives whatsoever. I have my sights set on it though. Expect to see it in our garage sometime in the second half of 2014. =)
Thanks for that mate. Ferrari sells the Cali as a GT so maybe hence the wafty ride. Wonder what would a FF be like. And I guess you forgot your rating

And about the F12, we duly respect the dealer's policies =)

Edit: Even I do like the way the Cali looks. Love the way the rear is, everything from the simple lamps to the way the exhausts are positioned!

Last edited by A.K : 4th December 2013 at 19:37.
Old 4th December 2013, 21:02   #1931
Senior - BHPian

FF is one Ferrari which i have grown to admire a lot in recent times after reading quite a few real world ownership reports and how owners have practically exploited it.There is this guy who drove his from Alaska to LA and said he ploughed through slush and snow which caught out many of the bigger suvs.In the harsh winters of NA where most would garage their F-cars to use that time to do the "majors",an FF suddenly makes a lot of sense.Its not as delicate as the mid-engined V8s,ferociously powerful(its basically a detuned F12) and very practical,a Ferrari to do the 1000miles trips with ease.
In the same vein i loved the 612s also.

Sorry for going OT!

Last edited by avishar : 4th December 2013 at 21:09.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 21:25   #1932
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the reviews.
The photographs are amazing, great job by Sanchit Malhotra!

How many times have you scraped the cars while trying to negotiate a speed bump? How difficult is it?
Old 4th December 2013, 22:27   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Thanks for sharing the reviews.
The photographs are amazing, great job by Sanchit Malhotra!

How many times have you scraped the cars while trying to negotiate a speed bump? How difficult is it?
That has happened once or twice and only with the LP640. With all the other cars , I have never scraped even once. It is not difficult at all. Just need to know the angle of entry and exit.
ecksreturns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 13:15   #1934
BHPian

Logged into the account like after 6-8 odd months . Here's my first post after this gap !
Btw , thank you Karan for the credits

Hope you all like the pictures ! More to come
Attached Thumbnails
Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-img_0102-copy.jpg  

Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-img_0085.jpg  

smalhotra_93 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 13:24   #1935
BHPian

The DBS and the 458 are spectacular cars. The DBS when you want to cruise around in comfort and luxury with the perfect blend of sportiness and the 458 for that crisp natural Ferrari V8, brilliant gearbox, cleaver diff, dont get me started on the handling... nothing but perfection there.
insideman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks