Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:05   #151
BHPian

Re: A Harley dream comes true !!

DKG, Iam having a CL 500 now. Planning to upgrade to a Iron 883, would like to have your opinion. Howz the Super low's maintenance as of now? Any problems cropping up? Thanks sir.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:12   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
In every aspect the Harley is just such a richer and deeper experience. Its deeply satiating everytime I ride it. Which is why I don't want to spoil the fun by using it in areas where I can't ride it how I prefer to.

For all other roads where I cannot ride the Harley the way I need it to I am liking the lazy thump of the 500.
A question for all Harley owners, how do you handle the "unwanted" attention when touring with your bikes?

I have a "simple" RE Thunderbird and there are times when I've wished I had gone for the Standard Bullet or the old Machismo simply because I'd rather not have my bike fiddled with when I park it for the night, and because I'd rather not attract a crowd when I stop for a drink of water or a backside break.

There was this one time when I was forced to stay the night at a creepy highway lodge in Orissa and I was really worried about the bike outside because it already had attracted quite a crowd when I went for dinner at a nearby dhaba. I prefer to go on solo rides, or at most with a couple of friends, and touring for me is not inter-city GQ rides. So, at times, finding a good hotel with secure parking is not an option, and booking ahead or traveling with a support vehicle is not going to happen.

I'm looking to move up to a more powerful tourer, but they all seem to have too much "attention value" for the kind of places that I've already been to on the TB (Kutch, Eastern Arunachal, Ladakh, Varanasi, etc.), and would like to explore.

Are there any "understated" powerful cruisers? Or is the venerable RE the only option for practical India touring?
Old 5th September 2012, 16:45   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Would love to work on that 883 cc motor, just need a willing 'murga'. DKG are you planning on a Stage 1 mod's soon? You could easily take your 883->1200.
Is it a task to bore out the 883? What all needs to be swaped when a job like this is done?
Old 5th September 2012, 19:56   #154
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
how do you handle the "unwanted" attention when touring with your bikes?
In the twelve years I have used my VFR and now the Harley there hasn't been a single incident where the crowd of curious onlookers became a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said I have never left either of the bikes unattended ever ! People love to touch in India and this is a bit like baking a cake and leaving it at a busy intersection and not expecting anyone to eat it !

The 500 draws a lot of attention but not to an extent where I need to worry about leaving it unattended. I am more comfortable leaving the bike at a public place and moving away. I will never do that with the VFR or the Harley though and its not a issue as they are my Sunday leisure rides and invariably I am always close by even when dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Planning to upgrade to a Iron 883, would like to have your opinion. Howz the Super low's maintenance as of now? Any problems cropping up?
No problems whatsoever. The Super Low has been a total delight and absolutely trouble free. The bike starts in one tick and has never troubled me, like the VFR.

The Iron is a perfect choice as it doesn't have the ground clearance problem of the Super Low. It rides a bit harder though but its not a issue
DKG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 19:18   #155
BHPian

Hi I came to know from the Kochi dealership that iron/superlow will be registered as a single seater bike. So if we add pillion seats whether it will void insurance claims (if any) as the vehicle is officially a single seater? Anyone please throw light to this matter.
Old 14th June 2013, 18:47   #156
BHPian

Quote:
The Super Low has been a total delight and absolutely trouble free. The bike starts in one tick and has never troubled me, like the VFR.

The Iron is a perfect choice as it doesn't have the ground clearance problem of the Super Low. It rides a bit harder though but its not a issue
I think I might be reviving an old thread but DKG it has been almost two years since you bought the Harley - How about a long term maintenance & Usage report in a post - It will help people like us when trying to make a decision
Old 14th June 2013, 23:52   #157
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
How about a long term maintenance & Usage report in a post - It will help people like us when trying to make a decision
I've done about 7000 kms on the Harley with one lomg distance trip to Goa and back.

So far its been absolutely trouble free. Zero issues. Starts on one tick and no oil leaks, no abnormal noises. Even the Goa trip left me impressed as I expected things to loosen up a bit.

Its fair to say that the Super Low is a well sorted out machine and quite a delight actually. I ride it like I would a 100 cc bike.

The only down side I can think of is the low ground clearance on the Suoer Low, 100 mm. Thrice I beached on the absurd speed breakers you encounter enroute from Hyderabad via Raichur to Hubli and had to call amused villagers to pull the bike off the hump.

Any spirited riding on bends will have you scraping the left peg and the silencers. I have shaved off a clip around the lower silencer doing this.

Superb machine, great value for money, loads of fun. Although the bigger Harley's offer you more the Super Low makes for an excellent VFM proposition and its a lot of fun.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:53   #158
Senior - BHPian

Been more than a year since your last update. So how the bike doing? What accessories have you added? Service experience? I have finally booked a Superlow too, so wanted your long term feedback.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:29   #159
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Been more than a year since your last update. So how the bike doing? What accessories have you added? Service experience? I have finally booked a Superlow too, so wanted your long term feedback.
Superb bike, love it. zero regrets. Go for it and enjoy. Very comfy ride. Only negative is low ground clearance but then one can manage
Old 25th August 2013, 10:06   #160
BHPian

Hello DKG sir. I have been following your forum for some time now and found it very useful so far. I am upgrading to a Harley very soon, but in two minds after reading on other forums about the minimal aft suspension on the Sportsters and Dynas. I am currently using RE Classic 500, absolutely love it, but the seat is really uncomfortable for long rides. Since you have a RE 500 as well, how would you compare the comfort and suspension of the HD with that of the RE? especially when dealing with potholes etc.

Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 16:39   #161
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Hello DKG sir. I have been following your forum for some time now and found it very useful so far. I am upgrading to a Harley very soon, but in two minds after reading on other forums about the minimal aft suspension on the Sportsters and Dynas. I am currently using RE Classic 500, absolutely love it, but the seat is really uncomfortable for long rides. Since you have a RE 500 as well, how would you compare the comfort and suspension of the HD with that of the RE? especially when dealing with potholes etc.

Thanks
The RE 500 is a superb bike and has a great ride. Being a lighter bike you can play with it a lot more compared to the Super Low. That said from amongst the Harley range the Super Low has a softer suspension and I find it very comfortable. I did a Goa round trip with no fatigue or aches whatsoever. It's heavier compared to the 500 but is quite a joy in traffic or the open road. It really is a very fine bike and great VFM.

To put things into perspective the RE 500 I consider to be a superb machine in its own right and quite a joy to ride. Lets say that if one were just using a RE 500 its not like you are losing out on greater motoring pleasures. With the Harley its the sound, all the chrome, looks and a good ride that add up to an experience which puts it a shade higher that the 500. But for me that does not take away what makes the 500 so special.

Simpy put if the 500 grew up to be more glamorous in every aspect it would become a Super Low !!
Old 25th August 2013, 18:38   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simpy put if the 500 grew up to be more glamorous in every aspect it would become a Super Low !!
Very well put.

Though the purists may say "bull --it" to this allegory, nevertheless that is what it is.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks