Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 14:46   #301
BHPian

Re: The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Sriku,

I thought fork sliders and fork protectors were different. My assumption was that fork protectors sit on the fork tubes like covers and protect them from flying debris and dust.

Maybe a noob moment for me
If you're referring to the inner tube covers, those may be useful to keep the forks clean, and perhaps help increase the longevity of the fork seals, but they aren't protectors as far as I am concerned. In fact, sometimes you may not be able to detect a busted seal, because the oil seepage is hidden by the cover, potentially leading to a ruined fork. (all Bullet learnings).
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:36   #302
BHPian

Update:

So life has been going well for the 650 since the last update. She has been consistently doing trackdays and a bit of touring and excelling at both.

For the recent trackday at MMSC, I installed the Short Velocity Intake Stacks and added an Autotune to the PC5. The stacks were courtesy a fellow KNOG Kunal from Mumbai and he swore by the power gains. Additionally I ordered the Taller Velocity Stacks from Blue Ride Performance USA. She also received a brand new set of EBC Extreme Pro front pads a new set of cone set bearings.

For those who dont know, velocity stacks are the tunnels which channel the air into your air filter. The length of the stacks changes the velocity of the air and thus the nature of the power curve of the engine. While most super-sports come with variable geometry stacks which automatically vary their length basis throttle position, the smaller bikes like the 650 come with fixed length ones.
To cut the story short, a set of shorter velocity stacks will give you more power in the top end while the taller ones will increase power in the low rpm range.

Since MMSC is a faster track and uses a lot more top end rpm range, I got the shorter stacks fixed at Auto Service, Bangalore. Boy oh boy !! Has she changed or has she changed !!!
She goes ballistic post 6k rpm now and races towards the redline like no-one's business. I like her this way and this did give her character a lot of advantage at the track.

For a smaller, tighter track like Kari, will go with the taller stacks or maybe a mix of tall and short. Experimentation shall lead to the best engine setting.

I also lowered the front end by 10mm as suggested by fellow bhpian Guru and that has made a massive improvements to her turn-ins. She is now much much more agile than before in switching quick corners and chicanes.

Overall she is a much better track tool now than before and the below video should entertain you.

narula123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 16:06   #303
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi,

have been waiting for Versys 650, and in the meanwhile would like to know about the places where we can source accessories for Kawasaki. Do service centers stock, or any specific shops around Bangalore? what are the online options in India? Any reliable online stores abroad which deliver to India? To begin with, i will be looking at basics safety stuff such as engine protectors, frame/fork sliders, bike cover, etc. Would also want to research and explore costs involved on aftermarket exhausts, panniers, knuckle guard, aux lights, etc. any directions on these would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:28   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hi,

have been waiting for Versys 650, and in the meanwhile would like to know about the places where we can source accessories for Kawasaki. Do service centers stock, or any specific shops around Bangalore? what are the online options in India? Any reliable online stores abroad which deliver to India? To begin with, i will be looking at basics safety stuff such as engine protectors, frame/fork sliders, bike cover, etc. Would also want to research and explore costs involved on aftermarket exhausts, panniers, knuckle guard, aux lights, etc. any directions on these would be helpful.

Thanks.
Retailers like Performance Racing Store, mumbai stock after market parts for most bikes. Service centers for Kawasaki dont stock accessories as far as I know. In Bangalore, stores like X-Torque stock few accessories for some brands.
You can order online but be ready to pay shipping and customs duty to get it shipped to India. Websites like Revzilla, motoin.de, fc-moto.de, ninja650shop, blue ridge performance etc are places I have purchased from in the past for my bike.
For all the parts on my bike and their details go through the previous posts in this thread.

End of the day, when there is no clarity, Google shall be your best friend !

Cheers

Last edited by narula123 : 16th December 2015 at 19:31.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 11:51   #305
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks! Booked the versys! At launch they have mentioned about selling the panniers separately, so that takes care of one of the accessories. I work at a sheet metal manufacturing setup, so some of the stuff like sump guard, etc, i can DIY (sharing a pic of something i made for my 390, works great). Browsing through the thread to get idea on other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-luggage-plate-01-01.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-photo-1.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-photo-2.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 22:34   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Thanks! Booked the versys! At launch they have mentioned about selling the panniers separately, so that takes care of one of the accessories. I work at a sheet metal manufacturing setup, so some of the stuff like sump guard, etc, i can DIY (sharing a pic of something i made for my 390, works great). Browsing through the thread to get idea on other stuff.
Lovely. If we can DIY the side panniers, rack and top box, nothing like it.
Old 1st May 2016, 17:38   #307
BHPian

Facing an issue with my Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust.

As can be seen from the pics below, the exhaust has worn itself out on the muffler towards the inner side. This part also holds the mount that binds the muffler to the footpeg mount and incase this collapses then the muffler will basically hang free. Not a very pleasant thought.

Have written to Scorpion UK but they are avoiding help and are asking me to get intouch with the retailer (Regina Specialities, Singapore). The retailer on the other hand is asking me to contact the company since this type of wear and tear apparently isnt covered under warranty. Sort of fedup of this blame game between the two because none of them is offering a solution.

Due to this tear, the exhaust throws warm air on the inside of my left leg while riding (tandoori legs anyone?). This also causes the Dynojet map to go off the readings and the bike heats up a bit more in traffic now.

Needless to say she sounds like an autorickshaw with indigestion with the torn exhaust.

Anyways, a friend who runs a fibreglass and carbon fibre factory in Bangalore has offered to re-wrap the muffler with carbon fibre sheet for me. So have to get the stock exhaust back on and put Autotune again so that PC5 doesnt go bonkers until I can get the Scorpion repaired.

Headache !

Lesson learnt - Stick to Akrapovic when buying an exhaust. You pay more but atleast you dont have to suffer crap quality like this although another friend running the Scorpion on his 650 hasnt suffered this damage. What is appalling is the way neither the manufacturer nor the reseller are willing to help.
Attached Thumbnails
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-img_0061.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-img_0062.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2016, 01:20   #308
BHPian

How old is the exhaust Varun?
Old 4th May 2016, 21:25   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
How old is the exhaust Varun?
got it around aug 2013
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 16:00   #310
BHPian

Have you ever repacked the inside of the exhaust? I have been told that you need to repack the inside once in two years, else the heat will corrode the cannister....
Old 6th May 2016, 13:06   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Have you ever repacked the inside of the exhaust? I have been told that you need to repack the inside once in two years, else the heat will corrode the cannister....
The Scorpion comes with a lifetime warranty on the packing and the claim that you dont have to repack it EVER. In any case the packing looks ok inside. I am still curious on what could have caused the tear considering there is nothing in contact with the muffler in that area. Maybe it IS the packing. God damn the brits !!
Old 9th September 2016, 21:21   #312
BHPian

So I have started taking the 650 every Friday to work and the stock exhaust though boring as hell does have its advantages in terms of low end torque and the no-nonsense exhaust note which doesnt get you in trouble with the cops.

The Pilot Road 3s finally gave up after 18,000 kms of hard use and have been replaced in the meantime by the Metz M5s. But boy do i miss the comfort of the PR3s. Will replace the M5s eventually with another set of PR3 or PR4. Lovely tyres those for sport touring I tell you.
Old 9th September 2016, 21:53   #313
BHPian

Pulsar from Mon to Thu, 650 on Fri and 10R on weekends!! Lovely....
Old 9th September 2016, 22:20   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Pulsar from Mon to Thu, 650 on Fri and 10R on weekends!! Lovely....
hahaha thanks dude. Still jealous of your Pajero though
Old 10th September 2016, 11:45   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
So I have started taking the 650 every Friday to work and the stock exhaust though boring as hell does have its advantages in terms of low end torque and the no-nonsense exhaust note which doesnt get you in trouble with the cops.

The Pilot Road 3s finally gave up after 18,000 kms of hard use and have been replaced in the meantime by the Metz M5s. But boy do i miss the comfort of the PR3s. Will replace the M5s eventually with another set of PR3 or PR4. Lovely tyres those for sport touring I tell you.
Very much surprising to see PR3 lasting for 18000 Kms. Is PR4 available in India ? While few guys are very happy with Angel GT, is that not in your choice list ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks