Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 21:37   #1
BANNED

Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review

Hi Guys,

Been meaning to put this thread up for a couple of days now.

The story of my Diavel.

I was bowled over by the looks of the Diavel as soon as pictures started appearing on the internet. First rides and reviews only confirmed what I had hoped for: that it rode as good as it looked.

It took me a while to decide how and where to buy the bike from. Started doing research about Ducati India, and about possibility of direct import. The Desmo service and DDS (Ducati Diagnostic tool) resets for the services ruled out direct import. This was no Harley that I can do almost everything at home.

Started getting a picture of the infamous Mr. AC and Precision Motors. Tried my best to avoid direct transaction with him, and opted to buy from Ducati Chandigarh, an about to be opened (at the time, ~ Jan 12) showroom and hoped that since they were new, they would have stock, etc., etc.

Well, I really want to believe Ducati Chandigarh because they have been helpful all along the way, but, they claim that Ducati India told them the bikes were ready in March, and I made full payment. Then the truth slowly started filtering out. The bikes were not even in country at the time, and myself and two of my friends, who I had managed to talk into buying Diavels as well had paid almost 3/4th of the full payment for 3 bikes and had no clue where the bikes are, a lot like the 795 booked customers have been feeling since about January.

A series of letters and threats to Ducati Italy, the CEO included, some of which was posted on Facebook by my friend and might have been seen by some of you, finally managed to trigger a response from Ducati India, and our three bikes were released in June.

But the slimy Mr. AC refused to give the Customs clearance papers with the bikes, and apparently taunted Ducati Chandigarh that he would like to see how we register the bikes. Well, I gave him the benefit of thinking that I could not and kept the bike in it's box at home till last week, when my desired number came up for registration in Kerala. Used the Import policy rulings and other arguments to convince the RTO and managed to register the bike. Thanks for nothing, Mr Ashish Chordia.

Well, attached are some of the pics of the box, unboxing, and PDI. Did the PDI and all accessories were fitted at home by myself and my trusty mechanic K.

The bike is everything and more that I had wished for. Unbelievably nimble, extremely comfortable, mind blowing acceleration, brakes that feel like Gorilla paws, and a rear tire that allows unimaginable lean angles. I love it to bits. Extremely easy to snake through traffic.

The only drawback I can see is the long wheelbase. No issue with ride quality, but maneuverability in tight spaces and while parking can be an issue. Especially if you have to push backwards and harder if you are not that tall like myself.

I believe there are quite a few Diavels available for sale in the batch that came with mine. Most of them Carbon Black, I think. Though highly attractive in Black, just could not resist the Carbon Red.

Well, it was a trip to Hell and back to get a Diavel, but the sweet feeling of that Desmodromic L Twin is worth everything.

Gift Box :
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-box1.jpg
Box Label
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-box-2.jpg
Unboxing
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-box-3.jpg
First Glimpse
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-box-4.jpg
After first wash still in box
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-box-5.jpg
Started PDI
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-pdi.jpg
All done
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-pdi-2.jpg
First ride.
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-ride.jpg
Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:37   #2
BANNED

I am going to try and do a review of the Diavel Carbon Red, and will try to keep up to the excellent standards here at Team BHP.

Well, the first part was more or less the buying experience, and needless to say it was bitter. Buying a Ducati in India is not for an average joe biker, for sure. One must be prepared for the worst in all aspects, right from booking to service. For me, the Bike is the objective, and things like dealing with Precision, the cost, etc, etc are just obstacles that needed to be overcome to reach that objective. Till another bike fills that space (one has been trying hard), just keep doing whatever needs to be done to fulfill that objective. Not sure how many are willing to be that way. Audi Ducati needs to do something asap. I am not going to dwell on it for much longer and would like to get on to sharing some details of the bike.

First of all, some pictures of the bike I managed to click at a friend's house where the background is Green, to say the least.
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-front-3q.jpg

Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-side-1.jpg

Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-side-2.jpg

Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-back.jpg

Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-front.jpg

Okay, now the details.

The Joy begins with this switch:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-start-switch.jpg
Flip the switch down to activate ignition. One of my favourite features of this bike is the Keyless Start system. Used to hate it when I get all geared up including gloves and then realize I forgot to take the keys out of the pocket. Those days are gone. The Key:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-key.jpg
When Ignition is activated, the screens come alive with the color screen doing a little Diavel outline laser sketch intro. Start screen tried to capture during turn on sequence:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-start-screen.jpg
If one does not have the key with you, you can override the system by using the pincode method. Push the button (red arrow), and the screen will prompt you to enter the preset pincode through the toggle switch on the left.
Pincode screen:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-pincode.jpg
Toggle switch for menu navigation:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-toggle.jpg
Normal riding screen:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-rider-screen.jpg
Top dash is conventional dash, lot like a Monster 796's, with rpm, speed, clock, and temperature. The bottom Color LCD shows Riding Mode, Gear Indicator, Tripmeters, and Fuel consumption. There is an option to change this screen to display other parameters through the menu.
Menu screen:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-menu.jpg
There are three Riding Modes to the Diavel, each comes with a default setting which can be customized. The lowest setting is URBAN, which cuts the output to 100 hp, and traction control, or DTC in Ducatispeak, is set at 5 out of maximum 8. TOURING mode comes default with output at 162 Low, and DTC at 3. SPORT mode has output at 162 HI, and DTC at 1, the lowest setting.
Riding mode selection screen. Can be changed on the fly, will activate change with close of throttle.
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-riding-mode.jpg
Since the throttle is controlled by wire (Ride by wire), the ECU changes the maps and power delivery is altered according to selected mode. I started riding the bike in Urban mode, and am now in Touring. Have not yet tried Sport mode, and am working on a progressive breaking in regime. The exhaust note also changes dramatically with the mode changes.
I was getting fuel consumption of 13.6 Km/L when I started riding, it has been progressively improving and now reads 14.2 Km/L. I dont know the accuracy of the on board computer because I have been filling Speed 97 out of jerry cans at home, so no Full to Full check yet. I expect it to be correct because I have been trying to stay in the midrange of the engine, and hence always a gear or two lower than normal, during break-in.

I have only done ~400 kms on the bike as of now, and mostly been short rides. Havent had a chance to take her up to the hills or a real open stretch yet. The weather has been playing foul last couple of days, and is really getting in the way. Once I have some more miles on her, I can give better riding impressions.

But from what little I have ridden, it's been Fantastic!! Most comfortable bike I have ridden yet ( Forgive my lie, because the Multistrada is better), and the power is just insane. They say it's faster than the Panigale up to 60mph, and I dont doubt it. You go past an inch on the throttle, and you better hang on. And the power delivery is so different from the inline 4 of the CB I am used to. While the CB was creamy, this is lumpy. The L twin torque really comes in crazy, and just keeps on coming. I love it !!! It's a most beautiful blend of my Harley and my CB, as far as engine goes.

The Carbon edition of the Diavel is quite a bit dearer than the Standard model, and in return you get 3 kgs off, bringing weight to 207 Kg. Funny, because by swapping the standard battery with a Ballistic Li battery for ~Rs 10k, I saved more than 3 kgs.

But the Carbon model also gives you these:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-marchesini-1.jpg
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-marchesini-2.jpg
Marchesini wheels. Works of Art. These wheels are forged, then painted, then machined and polished. Just gorgeous.
You also get the special hard Diamond Like coating on the front suspension in Black finish:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-front-shocks.jpg
I have not taken any pillion yet, and dont generally do, except for short joyrides. Hence have not taken the rear seat cover (in CF for the Carbon edition) out yet. It can be removed by unscrewing from under the seat.
Under the seat, there is a small cavity for the toolkit, and not much room for anything else.
Underseat:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-underseat.jpg
Cover removal screw:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-seatcover-removal.jpg
Under the seat is also the release for the retractable rear grab handle. There is a small storage space here for Regn. papers, etc.

Handle retracted:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-grabhandle-.jpg
Handle extended:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-grab-handle-out.jpg
The rear passenger footpegs are also retractable. Gives it a clean solo look when lifted up.
Footpegs:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-rear-footpeg.jpg
Did a little bit of cosmetic mods while unboxing itself. Mostly Rizoma stuff.
Rizoma Handgrips and barends:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-rizoma-grips.jpg
Speedymoto Frame sliders:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-speedymoto.jpg
Rizoma Rear Hub Cover:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-rizoma-rear-hub-cover.jpg
Rizoma Frame hole covers:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-rear-preload.jpg
You can also see the rear suspension preload adjuster here. This can be adjusted on the fly.

When you are done riding and have to reluctantly park the bike, there is an electric steering lock also available.
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-lock.jpg
While doing my PDI, one of the "mods" I did was some sound insulation. Having ridden my friend's Diavel, and having read online about a trademark problem with the Diavel, which was an annoying "tak tak" sound that the chain would make when it hit the bottom of the hollow swingarm. Really bad on bumpy roads which we have no shortage of around here. The solution was to remove the original plastic chain guard placed near marked area, sticking a thin rubber strip (cut from car tyre tube) with some double side tape and re installing. Works like a champ. No annoying sound at all. Any Diavel owners out there, I highly recommend this simple yet effective mod.
Chain guard hitting area:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-diavel-chain-guard.jpg
Finally, the most important accessory of them all:
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-ducati-oakley-1.jpg
Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review-ducati-oakley-2.jpg
Oakley Ducati X Squared Sunglasses, without which the whole setup would just crumble and fall.

I will try to add some video clipping with the exhaust note because the sound is not the same with the bike stationary. The rasp while accelerating and the pops on decel have to be ridden to be heard. Soon.

Meanwhile, I would like to open the thread up so that I can update as I go along.

Thanks for reading, guys.

Cheers

Ride Safe

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2012 at 16:41. Reason: Moving your ownership review to the first page for better visibility
gthang is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ducati Diavel - Forged in Hell - Ownership Review

Thats one hell of a machine.(with a eye watering price tag though)
Been up close and personal with one at Ducati Chandigarh,one scary and at the same time comfortable machine it is.
Congrats,Ride safe

Last edited by akshay4587 : 21st October 2012 at 21:46.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:57   #4
BHPian

OMG........Someone just left the lion out in the open!

That is one sexy helluva machine that I can only aspire to own, just like many Indians. Congrats on your purchase. Could you please share the on-road price you paid for it, a review and some more photos please! How is the exhaust note? Please share every detail of it.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:59   #5
BHPian

That is an amazing looking bike, looks like it came straight out of the sets of a Hollywood production.
That seat doesn't look very "butt" friendly though, almost looks like the rider is supposed to 'slot' himself in there.

Congrats and ride safe.
sarsh11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 22:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

I admire your guts to buy a Ducati inspite of all fraud people in the company . Why hell you have a BEG when you have paid the money ? .Chaltha hai attitude !
So you still dont have Customs clearance papers . That really makes blood boil .
Its as good as buying any grey bike , no service ,no guarantee ,no parts , you are on your own .The Indian arm of the DUCATI is sad state .The whole mechanicism of customer protection ,rightful practice and policies are only on papers and whole system is corrupt .Forget the Govt bodies not upholding the citizen rights, what about DUCATI itself , are they not bothered about their reputation and growth .

BTW congrats , no doubt the bike is amazing .Ride safe .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 22:15   #7
BHPian

Congrats for the exotic italian masterpiece. I recently saw a Carbon black at close quarters and must say that even in the company of the Busas and R1s etc. she held everyone's gaze.
Awaiting a detailed review.

Safe riding.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 22:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

Wow, you really like nakeds, don't you? So is the CB staying?

And Congratulations for owning and riding a masterpiece.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 23:01   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Been up close and personal with one at Ducati Chandigarh
Congrats,Ride safe
@akshay4587, Thanks. Never been to the Chandigarh dealership, but they are pretty nice guys, and really tried their best in this fiasco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Congrats for the exotic italian masterpiece. I recently saw a Carbon black at close quarters
Safe riding.
@narula123, Thanks. Not sure if any Carbon Blacks have been "released" by Precision. Are you talking about the one on the Superbikes spotted page? That's a Standard Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Could you please share the on-road price you paid for it, a review and some more photos please! How is the exhaust note? Please share every detail of it.
Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Hi S@ndy, Thanks. Cost me about 30 Large ones on road with shipping, taxes, and insurance. Not counting the Rizoma and other titbits.

The exhaust in stock form itself is quite loud. Raspy, with a twin cylinder beat that just pops and growls on deceleration, more so in the Touring and Sport modes as compared to the Urban mode, when it's quite docile. Absolutely love the sound, and makes me want to rev it every chance I get. Horn? What horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsh11 View Post
That is an amazing looking bike, looks like it came straight out of the sets of a Hollywood production.
That seat doesn't look very "butt" friendly though, almost looks like the rider is supposed to 'slot' himself in there.
Congrats and ride safe.
Thanks. Not in any Hollywood flick yet, but look out for it in the upcoming movie "Jack Ryan", based on the novels.
The seat is actually extremely comfortable, and makes you feel like sitting in a sofa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I admire your guts to buy a Ducati inspite of all fraud people in the company .
BTW congrats , no doubt the bike is amazing .Ride safe .
Hey, I love bikes, and no slimeball is going to come between me and my bike.

But, all is not lost with Ducati. Granted, the Italians are not the greatest at PR or disaster management, but it looks like slick AC has got them contractually by the cahunas. Audi seems to be working on a strategy to fix things. Once the main problem is removed, there is still hope for Ducati as their bikes are just phenomenal and they have a great product in the 795.

The existing dealers are struggling with this guy as well, and are trying their best to do what they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Wow, you really like nakeds, don't you? So is the CB staying?

And Congratulations for owning and riding a masterpiece.
Thanks Sheel. What can I say? They look better naked
Yeah, the CB is staying. She's got about 28k on it now and is due for some major mods planned for it while I play with this for a while.

The Diavel truly is a masterpiece and has redefined the Cruiser category.

Cheers

Ride Safe

Last edited by gthang : 23rd October 2012 at 16:24.
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! Whoa!
That is one extraordinary looking bike. Man would I love to see/own something of the like someday. Good to see you don't mind putting the On Road Price you paid up on a public forum.
One heck of a bike you got there man, ride her safe!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is Injustice!!!! This is not an ownership review. This is like saying 'hi'. Come on man. Tell us about the diavel! How does she handle. Have you taken it to the twisties? How is the ride over bumpy roads. What mods have you done to it. How is the engine behaviour in the different modes. Have you taken a pillion on it? How comfortable is it for both rider and pillion? Tell us how bloody hard is that acceleration? And how's that aural delight? Lastly ' kitna deti hai?'

Come on...write with some passion. You've bought yourself a passionate motorcycle which takes a passionate nut to buy. So be that nut!!!

Hahahaha

Congrats man. That was my dream bike till I was spoilt by the GS. That's why the happiness over your purchase. This is the color to buy. This is hotness! I still might. I still just might grab this bike if someone politely offers me one. Which I cannot expect precision motors to do.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man, thats one hell of a bike. Looks damn good, you cant expect any less from Ducati. Please post some more pics and details on the bike
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:29   #13
BHPian

Is it a bike or an alien spacecraft?

Jokes apart, great choice dude. Diavel with it's unconventional looks is surely an eye catcher and your color choice has accentuated it even further. Congrats and wish you have a great time with the beast
neerajpv87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wowie gthang, that's one hell of a bike. How do you plan to service it in the current situation? As navpreet said, be that passionate nut and tell us all about the bike.

More, more, more...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This is Injustice!!!!
=========Which I cannot expect precision motors to do.
I second navpreet318! Come on man, post some videos of you ripping her out on the winding roads to the hills. A video with its sweet exhaust wold really be appreciated. Also how much is the top speed?
Hearty congratulations on buying the beast. The choice of the color is absolutely spot on.
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks