Team-BHP - Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/141465-harley-davidson-superlow-xl883l-comprehensive-review-4.html)

Thanks to all the mates for their best wishes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 3236494)
You mixed left and right up in you video.

The ride quality and cost of accessories stops me from getting one.

Can you also take a video when the bike is parked outside in a open space?

Oops, don't know how I mixed that up...lolz. Now that's called a brain freeze.

The ride quality has improved after adjusting the rear suspension to position 3. And even better one there's always the option to go for the Progressive Springs. Cost of accessories is definitely more but depends upon you how much you want to splurge. You can easily live with a basic bike.

I am planning more videos and also planning to get this Hero 3 camera for on-road shooting after mounting it to my bike -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U#t=72

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3235347)
^

And finally here's the VIDEO of the walkaround and the sound of the Harley. Its quite loud as it is with stock exhausts.

Congrats on the dream machine. Awesome pictorial review. Not an inch of the bike was left out. clap:

The bike does compliment you, and take it as a compliment, it compliments your sound as well. Quite a deep voice you have.

Get the gopro man. You can get the silver edition which is more than enough, and probably two of them instead of one Black edition.

They are so much fun and with a Harley emblem on view the ride view would be so much fun.

GOPRO499

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3236648)
Get the gopro man.

Hero 3 is manufactured by GoPro - http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CPy...FSQ44godLR8ApA

Congrats for becoming the Harley owner, this is the bike i really wish to own.
Just would like to share about Capital Harley, i had visited the showroom during my Delhi visit last year and they are really good people.I wanted to take few photos for our website FB page and they were really encouraging Also they gave me 2012 full models brochure eventhough they know that i came just to know and take some photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4391849&type=1

So it was Sunday today and the bike crossed 200kms.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_1.jpg

Our Meerut Mutineers Motorcycling Club (M3C - Meerut HOGs Chapter), which I have since joined, swelled to 12 members with my Superlow and a Fat Bob joining this month, decided to welcome us with a 80km to and fro ride to Khatauli, Muzaffarnagar (where incidentally riots had broken out). With fear thrown out of the window we got ready...

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-dsc_0251.jpg

And boarded our steeds
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_01.jpg

Assembled at the century old Whelers Club, Meerut
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_3.jpg

Here are the 10 Harley's standing at Cheetal, Khatauli for breakfast of cheese omlettes and cold coffee. We were 11 on today's trip (10 in the photo), one joined later (a 48). Incidentally my bike is 3rd from the top of the picture
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_4.jpg

Here's one member with his Street Bob which he has customised in his own sporting goods factory!! He has fabricated the handle and the engine guard...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_5.jpg

With my ride
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_7.jpg

Finally a wonderful ride ended after a 86km ride
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_6.jpg

Ride - The bike was rock steady and could cruise all day at 110km that we maintained today. The 2 Fat Bobs and the single Fat Boy easily touched 160 on short bursts. I did not stretch my bike over 110 as it was still breaking-in but there was enough reserve power in store. The rear suspension that I had raised had quite a good effect on the ride quality. Also as the highway was baby smooth, the ride was wonderful.

That's the brotherhood of the Harley clan, the taste of which I got today. Outstanding experience with the HOG continues...

Wonderful choice. And beautiful pics. By the way, the indicators look just like the ones found in bajaj boxer :D. The price really put me off but yeah if you want to own an exquisite, one will need to earn it. I think I'll settle for Duke 390 for now. Still waiting for a cruiser. Maybe I might wait atleast another 6 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancersfx (Post 3237948)
By the way, the indicators look just like the ones found in bajaj boxer. The price really put me off but yeah if you want to own an exquisite, one will need to earn it.

Thanks and rightly said. But remember that you can never duplicate an original. Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.

Somebody inquired about the primary belt drive which drives the rear wheels instead of the traditional chain found on our desi bikes. So what are the benefits over the conventional chain -

- Lighter and nearly as strong
- Gets rid of the compensating sprocket and a ton of rotating mass. That equals HPs.
- Faster to change vs a chain/tensioner
- A primary belt requires no lube, so less leaks/service/maintenance to worry about. Also easy to inspect.
- The elasticity of the belt requires no compensating sprocket, as the rubber takes up the shock, giving a smoother drivetrain.
- A belt drive primary also can reduce drivetrain vibration.
- Having them open is desired, because the belts get hot and can fail if not properly ventilated or cooled.

The down side to most people is the noise dry clutches make when the clutch lever is pulled in. Overall much more pros than cons.

A good read - http://blog.jpcycles.com/2010/09/the...en-belt-drive/

Here are some photos of it -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-drive-belt_1.jpg

Close ups
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-drive-belt_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-drive-belt_3.jpg

The belt with the lightweight drive sprocket in the background
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-drive-belt_4.jpg

Some other observations -

The shiny exhausts that are visible are basically only exhaust shields with the exhausts fully hidden below them to prevent discoloration of top finish. Here it is seen clearly -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-exhaust-pipe_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-exhaust-pipe_2.jpg

The Air Filter Intake
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-air-filter-intake.jpg

Now the Front Tyres -

Michelins. Notice the unidirectional arrow and the tread wear indicator.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-front-tyre_1_michelin.jpg

120/70 ZR18 inchers
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-front-tyre_2_12070_zr18.jpg

Again Made in Spain
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-front-tyre_3_made-spain.jpg

They are Tubeless radials obviously
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-front-tyre_4_tubeless-radial.jpg

And custom made with Harley Davidson branding
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-front-tyre_5_harley-davidson.jpg

Also got these bungee nets from ebay at a nominal cost of 120 bucks - http://www.ebay.in/itm/190865612569?...84.m1497.l2649
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-bungee-net1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-bungee-net.jpg

There also seems a immobilizer built in because the red immobilizer light does come on for a few seconds every time bike's key is put in ignition position. Although the key does not seem to have a transponder. Though there is is no anti-theft alarm and remote key now. That also used to be there in the previous model when the bike was an import and used to cost a lac extra due to being a import. The anti-theft alarm and remote system is available at an additional 20k cost.

The key unravelled is basically metal -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-key-unravelled.jpg

One photo left out from the Khatauli ride
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-khatauli-ride-15092011_8.jpg

Finally
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-front-view.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3238787)
======

There also seems a immobilizer built in because the red immobilizer light does come on for a few seconds every time bike's key is put in ignition position. Although the key does not seem to have a transponder. Though there is is no anti-theft alarm and remote key now. That also used to be there in the previous model when the bike was an import and used to cost a lac extra due to being a import. The anti-theft alarm and remote system is available at an additional 20k cost.
===

Dear Dkaile, Just wondering whether it is possible to remove the pillion seat on the HD Superlow when not being used. Frankly the single seater looks a lot better than the customized pillion seat, but need to use the pillion seat occasionally.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by royfernandez (Post 3239848)
Dear Dkaile, Just wondering whether it is possible to remove the pillion seat on the HD Superlow when not being used. Frankly the single seater looks a lot better than the customized pillion seat, but need to use the pillion seat occasionally.

Yes, its easily removable in a 5 minute job.

So I had a small mishap with the bike yesterday. It was standing in my driveway and my elderly rickshaw puller inadvertently banged his rickshaw into the rear mudguard and licence plate. The licence plate got a little bent which was straightened out without issues but the reflector strip below the number plate got cracked. I stuck it with feviqik but it still looks a little eye sore -

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-rear-reflector-strip-cracked-18092013_1.jpg

So I took out the WD-40 spray
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-wd40-spray.jpg

and gave it a little tender loving care and managed to clean out to an extent
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-rear-reflector-strip-cracked-18092013_3.jpg

But the crack is still visible on closer inspection
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-rear-reflector-strip-cracked-18092013_2.jpg

Will try to get this reflector strip replaced during first service, if available (Part No. 59988-72-SUB1)

Anyways got this Black 3/4 Helmet and HD'ed it. Its a certified helmet though not a costly one. The exact same helmet saved my friend's son's life when he had a bad accident. His both arms got fractured and his head hit the pavement. The helmet got cracked but he had no head injury. My friend swears that this helmet saved his son's life. So I got the same model.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-3_4-helmet_4.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-3_4-helmet_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-3_4-helmet_2.jpg

Saw this interesting Helmet Bluetooth kit
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-helmet-bluetooth-ad.jpg

Also saw this interesting ad in a magazine
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-tonga-phatphatti-ad.jpg

These were known as Phat-Phattis and were visible in Connaught Place, New Delhi on a regular basis till a few years back, although the original Harley engines had long since been replaced by the local Bullet ones...

Why an open face helmet bro? I thought you had a full face one already (in the earlier photos).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3241793)
Why an open face helmet bro? I thought you had a full face one already (in the earlier photos).

Yes, but a Harley's ride ain't complete without smelling the fresh air in your face. Sorry to the safety aficionados but had to have a open face helmet for a change once in a while.

----------------

Received this TUBE-Multifunctional Headgear from cramster.in - http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...60093.aspxJust 299 bucks, totally worth it.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-tube_cramster.jpg

Can be worn in a variety of ways.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-tubeinstructionscramster_1.jpg

Now my whole family wants one each...lolz

The biggest con of this bike is parking it. I just can't seem to park it anywhere in Meerut for more than 5 minutes without a crowd of people around it. Forget parking it at a theatre and going for a movie. And they don't give a second look to our 20+lac SUVs and luxury sedans. And their inquiries!! Phew! I have gotten so exhausted by this problem.

Time for some numbers. Bike has done 350kms.

From various sources (not tested personally) -
0 to 100kmph - 5.9 seconds
Top Speed - 165 kmph
Mileage - 18kmpl (city), 24kmpl (highway), 21kmpl (overall). I got a mileage of 18kmpl on last fill-up.

- Capital Harley has kindly consented on changing the cracked reflector free of cost on the bike's 1st service. Nice gesture on their part.
- The heat from the bike is lessening up as the engine is bedding in. Only on absolute stand-still can you feel the heat and that too after the bike has been running for some time. Otherwise off-rest the heat is not even feel-able.
- Incidentally this is the only bike in Harley's line-up having both W Speed Rated Tyres making them capable of 270km/h. Even the Fat Bobs have a H (210kmph) rated tyre. And the Night Rod has only one W rated tyre.

Rest, I just can't seem to remain without driving the bike at least once daily.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-17092013_2.jpg

PS - The Dynas - http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_IN...cles/dyna.html now begin at only 10.16L with a 1600cc engine.