Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 10:23   #61
BHPian

re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT : Now SOLD

Multi brand: I saw one V-Max, one B-KING and one R1 there, not sure if any authorized relationship exists with manufacturer, but V-Max and B-King are huge bike, specifically the V-Max, R1 was looking like what my R15 looks in front of my Explorer!
You are located up above the india and have most adventurous places around, would love to take my bike around the trails you are talking about but I still don't have that much experience and possibly would not be able to handle that type of riding right now , I have not even tried the option to complete switch off the ABS and TCS.
IMHO every adventure tourer need to have experience in handling what you experienced with GS, there is no fun in having adventure bike and just running around the paved trails, I am yet to get to that point hope to learn fast though.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT : Now SOLD

Well the only way to learn is to take it out on a dirt trail and whack it open. No ABS TCS etc. Just whack it open and see its limits and boundaries. I can assure you, that you will never find those limits. These bikes have so much potential and we have none compared to it.
I used to be scared in some offroad patches and water crossings. Now I just let the bike take itself across with throttle open to the point with good torque.
Last weekend we went up a walking trail with the GS. By we, I mean my wife and I. two up on a concrete walking trail with green fungus on it all the way. We climbed from around 2000ft to 7000 ft in about 30 minutes. It can handle tight turns despite being huge. Just needs to be in the torque wave.

So just let it go and whack it open. You also need to drop it once to see what all can get damaged. I have engine guards on mine and the boxer cylinders act like a support not letting the whole bike down and protecting most of the bike.
I have dropped it, then dragged it 180 degrees, picked it up and then dropped it again. Haha. and then I took some pics. Haha!

So enjoy the ride!
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 07:42   #63
BHPian

There was a stopper in fuel tank, which used to stop fuel dispenser from going in, never checked if it was made from plastic or metal. I always warned the attended to take care of and would happily comply. Last Saturday the attended height was less and he was not able to see the fuel in the tank and he press the dispenser with force and broke the stopper. The question is as that stopper is now in fuel tank may be 1 1/2 inch long what damage it can cause to fuel pump ? Or this can be a harmless entity residing in my fuel tank for eternity?

-Pramod
Old 27th October 2014, 17:36   #64
BHPian

Update: current odo read 5K+.

Did a round trip of 2200 kms of Nagpur-Nawada-Nagpur via Jabalpur,Rewa, Varanasi, Gaya on my Tiger Explorer XC. Bike performed flawlessly, nothing to complain. Tiger Explorer took all road conditions in its stride and was delight to ride all along. I hope to do more such ride in future.

road condition and timing update here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3560203

Some figures:

Nagpur- Nawada
Distance : 1050 kms
Time take (riding): 18 hours
Average speed: 58 kmph
Fuel Average : 20 kmpl

Nawada- Nagpur
Distance : 1050 kms
Time take (riding): 20 hours
Average speed: 52 kmph
Fuel Average : 20 kmpl

Total fuel : 110 lts

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 27th October 2014 at 17:46.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:53   #65
BHPian

Wow, those miles are piling on, fast !

How is the behaviour under hard braking, is the fork dive excessive/disconcerting ?
How does the suspension cope with weight of luggage, do you adjust the suspension preload depending on luggage weight? How effective are the headlights ?
Old 30th October 2014, 10:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Wow, those miles are piling on, fast !

How is the behaviour under hard braking, is the fork dive excessive/disconcerting ?
How does the suspension cope with weight of luggage, do you adjust the suspension preload depending on luggage weight? How effective are the headlights ?
No nose dive under hard braking, the suspension are really made for adventure, they took lot of abuse during this ride.
I used the factory setting for the suspension, they felt better with luggage(pannier and tank bag).Frankly the load is only felt when you have to manually maneuver the bike for any reason.

Headlight + fog lamp are real boon, they make riding in night comfortable. The highbeam is good enough to make oncoming vehicle use dipper

I really enjoyed riding these 2.2k + kms and would love to do it more and more.

This thread is devoid of images, just adding the 5k+ on odometer after that trip picture
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141025_155229small.jpg

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 18:54   #67
BHPian

Finally adding some colour to this thread :-) hope you guys will enjoy these images.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539129239.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539152541.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539166646.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539182371.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539197901.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539219610.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539240183.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539253255.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539291372.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539312079.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539333118.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539378399.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539395557.jpg  

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-1415539433184.jpg  

pramods is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 19:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Finally adding some colour to this thread :-) hope you guys will enjoy these images.
Beautiful bike. Pramod, if I may ask, how tall are you?
Is the weight of the bike a hindrance on really technical trails?
Old 9th November 2014, 19:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Beautiful bike. Pramod, if I may ask, how tall are you?
Is the weight of the bike a hindrance on really technical trails?
I am 5' 10'', bike is heavy, no doubt about it. I had problems initially, but I think I can handle it appropriately now. Still learning to handle it safely in off road scenarios, this Diwali did a 2K+ kms ride and now feel more comfortable taking it anywhere.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 9th November 2014 at 19:10.
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 15:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I really enjoyed riding these 2.2k + kms and would love to do it more and more.

This thread is devoid of images, just adding the 5k+ on odometer after that trip picture
-Pramod
Hey Pramod you are one lucky guy I must say, your Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer makes me envious of you man. You have posted some lovely pics and have covered some distance in this short period of ownership. I must say you are doing proper justice to this adventure motorcycle. Triumph Tiger 1200 is one of the best adventure motorcycle one can buy in this country, it comes with a host of safety features, spoked wheels, adjustable windscreen, adjustable seat height, and last but not the least that wonderful Shaft Drive. Can you tell me how different does a shaft drive feels to a conventional chain drive bike? As I have never ridden a shaft drive motorcycle ever. Also as you have mentioned you are 5'10 is it a task while handling this bike in standstill mode, I mean are you able to place your feet on the ground? I am 5'9 and am considering buying this motorcycle in the future. Your thread helps me a lot. Thanks and looking forward for more of your experiences.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 13th November 2014 at 15:02. Reason: additional information
Old 13th November 2014, 16:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I am 5'9 and am considering buying this motorcycle in the future. Your thread helps me a lot. Thanks and looking forward for more of your experiences.
Navin,

You know lowering kit is easily/readily availble for Tiger - standard ones allow up to 40 mm drop, you can get it down by another 40 mm if you go for a full option drop including the fork springs etc.

see the link below

http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspensi...ering-kit.html

The shaft drive is also excellent, in a way comparable with the BMW GS 1200's as well.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 19:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Navin,

You know lowering kit is easily/readily availble for Tiger - standard ones allow up to 40 mm drop, you can get it down by another 40 mm if you go for a full option drop including the fork springs etc.

see the link below

The shaft drive is also excellent, in a way comparable with the BMW GS 1200's as well.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks for the inputs Ram. I am looking at buying a shaft driven adventure motorcycle in future and the Triumph Tiger 1200 XC ticks all the right boxes for me. I hope Triumph by that time reduces the saddle height for average height riders like me. Nevertheless I will always have the option of the kit you have mentioned above to reduce the height.
Old 13th November 2014, 21:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Navin,

see the link below

Ram
Ram,
Is it safe to use lowering kit as it reduces rear suspension height which may affect stability at high speeds.
Old 13th November 2014, 22:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Ram,
Is it safe to use lowering kit as it reduces rear suspension height which may affect stability at high speeds.
Atleast on the BMW GS, no issues with the factory option lowering kit. One of the riders in our group with lowered suspension used to ride aggressively and he said, he felt more comfortable & stable with this position. HOWEVER, the only problem after lowering was that he needed to change/modify his center stand as otherwise when the bike is put on its center stand (firstly it needed a lot effort to pull it into center stand) and then the rear wheel was standing almost 5-6 inches above the ground! Anyway with the Triumph its better to ask the supplier if the center stand will need modification.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 12:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I hope Triumph by that time reduces the saddle height for average height riders like me.
Navin, I can't see this happening in the real world, as an average European/Caucasian would be comfortable with the standard height of this and hence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Ram,
As Haroon also said the stability will not be adversely affected. Only thing is the "flickability" will change slightly.

Triumph, factory prescribed lowering kits are available and I think even can be factory fitted where the "build your bike" options are available.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks