Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:00   #391
BHPian

Re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

An excert from Triumph's statement reads out as " The specifications are now updated on the website and are as per the certification under the ARAI regulations"

I am very surprised that Triumph is able to get away with just sorting out the ST issue ! . Whereas, in essence , they have defaulted by not using the ARAI specifications for all models right from the beginning. Yes, the power may be same for others, but it's still a case of misrepresentation, isn't it ? Why hasnt Triumph issued a public apology on the same lines for all customers.

My concern is not about the focus on ST customers ( because they have been cheated with the wrong version of bike) , but the fact that authorities are letting Triumph get away with such a statutory deviation....or is it not ?
absynthguzzler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:34   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
An excert from Triumph's statement reads out as " The specifications are now updated on the website and are as per the certification under the ARAI regulations"

I am very surprised that Triumph is able to get away with just sorting out the ST issue ! . Whereas, in essence , they have defaulted by not using the ARAI specifications for all models right from the beginning. Yes, the power may be same for others, but it's still a case of misrepresentation, isn't it ? Why hasnt Triumph issued a public apology on the same lines for all customers.

My concern is not about the focus on ST customers ( because they have been cheated with the wrong version of bike) , but the fact that authorities are letting Triumph get away with such a statutory deviation....or is it not ?
'The Authorities' i would guess to be the Police, since this is a case of fraudulent misrepresentation. As far as the ARAI is concerned Triumph has sold the same bikes that they tested and certified.

I doubt if someone has approached the police to lodge an FIR. Unless someone does, it is unlikely they will take action. They can suo moto register an FIR and investigate but it is unlikely they associate so much with the cause of 500 bikers to do this.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:15   #393
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys let us get back to the topic at hand.

Update: So i had my second long call with Triumph and though there are no further details coming out to the specifics of what will or can be offered, the message was to wait a few more days and IT WILL be TAKEN CARE. Which sounds reassuring but cautioned back not to make it too long a wait since patience is waning off!

I got a feeling they have solution for Striple owners and now working more on "how to roll it out" and the associated aspects.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:02   #394
Senior - BHPian

A friend who writes for a motorbike blog has been asking people what to do with the legal threats he has recieved via phone call today for his article on the now infamous "Detuna" scandal. Any other independent writers recieving threats?
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:41   #395
BHPian

I visited the dealership today to have a word with the GM and check out the white bonneville that has been delivered to the showroom.

I discussed in detail what Triumph is up to. Current owners of Stripple continue to be the main focus area. It seems there are hardware upgrades being considered; and this consideration is at at advanced stage. ARAI certification will be taken if hardware is upgraded. Bonneville owners are not on the to-be-satisfied list, which is dissapointing.

I am currently ping ponging between the decision to buy or not buy the Bonneville. Saw the white Bonnevile in flesh today and drooled over it. Told the dealership will decide in a couple of days.
Old 4th December 2014, 00:19   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
A friend who writes for a motorbike blog has been asking people what to do with the legal threats he has recieved via phone call today for his article on the now infamous "Detuna" scandal. Any other independent writers recieving threats?
That's a new low. Where or which city is these calls coming from?
Old 4th December 2014, 00:56   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a new low. Where or which city is these calls coming from?
Thats super low in the world of social media. Ask your friend to actually share details with one of us. We will post the details if that helps your friend to continue with the updates.

After all these, the FZ1 just a year back was selling around 9L + on road before the price increase.

Considering that, its a steal and i think i missed that price point when i went and picked up a 390 instead

Striple was the one i was looking at as a bike but unless triumph accepts, comes forward and provides an open solution they are just hurting themselves.

The kawasaki z800 now looks like the switch zone for those trimuph dreamers.
Old 5th December 2014, 14:50   #398
Senior - BHPian

So any update on how Triumph India is going to address this fiasco?

I know they spoke to a few owners and promised an amicable solution but no timescales were committed.

Any new developments?
Old 5th December 2014, 17:04   #399
Team-BHP Support

Yup! i got a call from my dealer and i was all excited...... till the sweet voice on the other end asked me when i would want to test ride the Street Triple!!! And this is not the first time since i bought the bike, that i have been invited for the test ride

Anyways i asked her what about the power confusion and she was clueless so had a good laugh and that was the end of the update.

But as per reliable info elsewhere in the country, dealers are reaching out to owners giving some first cut offer or trying out some feelers as to what would be fair according to them to settle. This is specific to Street Triple, if anyone has further info do share. Generally patience is wearing off and owners have slowly decided to move to other options starting Monday.

Looking forward to some progress over the weekend!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 10:51   #400
BHPian

I would like to hear more from the Bonnie owners on how are they dealing with this situation? When I test rode the bike, I liked it even at its now known 61 bhp avatar. I did not like it just because it was quoted at 68 bhp at that time. Is there a placebo effect now that you are 7 bhp shy of what was quoted? It is disappointing to be in this situation but would like to hear more from the Bonnie owners.

Last edited by Hells Bells : 6th December 2014 at 10:53.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:42   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I would like to hear more from the Bonnie owners on how are they dealing with this situation? When I test rode the bike, I liked it even at its now known 61 bhp avatar. I did not like it just because it was quoted at 68 bhp at that time. Is there a placebo effect now that you are 7 bhp shy of what was quoted? It is disappointing to be in this situation but would like to hear more from the Bonnie owners.
Overdrive magazine has a two page ad for Triumph this month. One page for Bonnie's with spec details. Looks like they are trying to make things clear.

Note : All Bonnie's a have the same bhp/torque in India.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:54   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Overdrive magazine has a two page ad for Triumph this month. One page for Bonnie's with spec details. Looks like they are trying to make things clear.

Note : All Bonnie's a have the same bhp/torque in India.
Good to hear that the mags at least benefited out of this!
anilp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 11:55   #403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I have ridden bonnie's and to be very honest a drop or gain of such numbers is very difficult to figure out, unless you are on wide open throttle or on a track. The reduced ARAI figures are quite normal for bikes being tested with our normal 91 Ron fuel and such. But yes personally i would have preferred to see the ARAI rated figure before i made the decision, even if the difference is 1 bhp.

This is going to be a major case study for Indian Automobile manufacturers and distributors and the way in which they market their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Triumph? I guess so, they are trying hard is what i feel. Coz otherwise they will be wiped out of India.

Update: I got a call from Keerthi Triumph Manager a while back, they have invited me next week to sit across and discuss options. Hope discussions match my expectations

Have a terribly busy 2 weeks ahead and as always drama happens amidst of all that!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 09:15   #404
DipantS

I don’t think that the issue is being handled by Triumph India with outmost sincerity. it’s almost close to a month now the issue is out and looks like they are still struggling to find a solution, not sure if issue is a technical one or administrative.
By now I was expecting Triumph India to have solution handy and customer informed with all the details around it and way forward.

Plus the blunt attitude of some dealers making it worst for some of the very first Triumph India customers. Their disrespect towards customers and customer service is very annoying and disheartening. If this is the way Triumph is going to function in India, I as a customer seriously needs to reconsider my decision of staying with the brand. I have bought the bike for fulfilling my dream of owning a 100+ BHP bike but not for the mental trauma and harassment by the Triumph and their representative.

One of the fellow Street Triple customer was badly abused and ill-treated by Hyderabad dealer last Friday and was repeatedly asked to go to consumer court for solution. This is really mockery of Indian consumers and the entire judicial system where cheaters still believe that they have upper hand and can keep minting money without any issue.

Looking at what’s happening with this entire detune episode, prospective Triumph customers’ needs to give it a thought before they make any buying decision, otherwise, they will be also #TAKEN FOR THE RIDE and harassed just like current customers and will have to go through the same pain.

We have been asked to wait for one more week for any concrete information from Triumph India. This long wait is very annoying and make me be believe that this is a strategic approach adopted by the company to make the matter go into cold bin.

Last edited by DipantS : 7th December 2014 at 09:21.
  (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 11:39   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Update: I got a call from Keerthi Triumph Manager a while back, they have invited me next week to sit across and discuss options. Hope discussions match my expectations
This 'sit across and discuss options' doesn't sound too encouraging. It sounds more like a negotiation than the offer of a solution.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks