Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 12:36   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

I have been thinking over this the last 1 week or so, initially i was in denial that a company like Triumph would do this and that the Arai certificate might be a mistake. Realization soon struck and that bitter feeling that i got CHEATED! started building up.

I was recollecting how i made the decision, i went to Keerthi first time while accompanying another friend who was picking up a Bonnie. That was a dream bike for him and he wanted to get back to biking. I took a test ride of Striple while i was there and the same keeda started in my mind. It was against all logic that i made this decision of buying the Striple; i stopped biking a decade back since my weak back was giving up, added to that i had financial commitments which did not allow me so much of flexibility that i can just go and buy a 8-9 lakh bike. But then it was a dream to own a 100+ bhp bike at the end of the day. While i was riding around in the RD 350 and while we participated in those drags, i used to always envy the super bike boys who would come in their stock 600 and 1000 cc bikes and whoop all of us.

So after a lot of ups and downs in my mind i decided to give in and book the bike at 8.85 Lakhs. I rode the bike briefly and it brought back the memories of the RD, super acceleration and decent maneuverability in traffic, while taking care of things like heating with its liquid cooled engine and safety aspects with the ABS assist and those tyres. I felt i am paying little more, still that was the price to pay "for a dream". First shake up happened when the buggers increased the price to 9.16 from 8.85, along with the crazy wait period, i was in two minds to cancel the booking. Then the good news of an early delivery convinced me to go for it. Yes i had to compromise on my choice of colour, then again it was justified for the sake of owning a dream.

Ownership was fun! since Oct 1st i have hardly used my car, come rain or sun the Striple key would be the one i would pick. I was happy, i was living my dream and i thought i lost some age and weight to!! 85 bhp Vs 105 bhp, does it matter? Well it does and it does big time! When we buy a dream we do not compromise! My good friend decided to buy a bike after me and his dream was an inline 4 with 100 bhp and for that i also pushed him to get the Z800 which had a bad support and weight disadvantage going for it. Still decision was clear, coz its a dream that he paid for!

From a riders perspective i can barely comment still this is my take: it took me almost a month to come to grips of whatever power the Striple had. But even with that wide open first gear bursts i always had this in back of mind, that this power seems pretty comfortable and maybe i am getting to grips with it pretty soon. So now i know why.

Darn your Triumph Motorcycles, you CHEATED me off my dreams!

I don't want to sell my bike, but i do want the 106 BHP back, i don't care how you do it. If you want i will tell you, you need to change the cam, intake box adapter and exhaust headers so that the mechanical restrictions are removed. You need to remap it also! Yes the parts will cost you maybe 60000 INR per bike and a recertification in ARAI. But you would atleast have done the right thing to the 70 odd owners who bought this bike on a dream or a trust. That is all we are requesting, don't fool us with stories we are clear and we are here for our rights.

Till now i have mailed twice to customer.care id and not even an acknowledgement has come. Called up 1800 number from Facebook and was informed that the matter is under review with the "Ethics Committee" and will be informed soon (no deadlines or dates, just soon)....

There are lot of rumors of resolution, buy back and what not. For me personally its clear Triumph Motorcycles has cheated me. And they better fix it and offer apology ASAP!!
Jaggu is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 13:11   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I don't want to sell my bike, but i do want the 106 BHP back, i don't care how you do it. If you want i will tell you, you need to change the cam, intake box adapter and exhaust headers so that the mechanical restrictions are removed. You need to remap it also! Yes the parts will cost you maybe 60000 INR per bike and a recertification in ARAI. But you would atleast have done the right thing to the 70 odd owners who bought this bike on a dream or a trust. That is all we are requesting, don't fool us with stories we are clear and we are here for our rights.
Why should we be bothered how much it will cost them? We've done our part and paid the full amount for a 106PS bike. Hopefully, we'll hear an answer from them. The longer they take to decide, the worse it is going to get for them
Old 1st December 2014, 13:17   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaggu, since STripple is badly effected and some of the dealers are offering the buy-back option for them, I would highly recommend you to take up on that offer and perhaps wait for R version with 106bhp in 2015 to come to our shores before plonking your money again on your dream (of owning a 100+bhp bike)

I can never ride a bike after knowing that I have been robbed of 27bhp (even if the bike is fun to ride and all that blah blah...imagine how much more fun it can be with 106 horses) and will most certainly not comprise by accepting some cheap goodies like an Arrow & other accessories to shut up the owners

Above, is exactly what I would do If i were in your shoes
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 13:24   #349
Senior - BHPian

I have been reading all this and feel terrible for owners . I took a test ride of street triple and the ride quality and power was average . At the end of the ride I told that person that my 390 has better pick up and flow than the triple he did not know what to tell. In the test ride report for engine/power I gave 5/10 .I felt this bike was not worth more than 4.5 lakhs .

One request for owners , could you guys please stop requesting / begging TRIUMPH to fix it ? Start demanding or ordering them to fix it and they better do it . You have paid a bloody huge amount of money .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 13:34   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Why should we be bothered how much it will cost them? We've done our part and paid the full amount for a 106PS bike. Hopefully, we'll hear an answer from them. The longer they take to decide, the worse it is going to get for them
I am not, i just wanted to show it would be a negligible spent for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Jaggu, since STripple is badly effected and some of the dealers are offering the buy-back option for them, I would highly recommend you to take up on that offer and perhaps wait for R version with 106bhp in 2015 to come to our shores before plonking your money again on your dream (of owning a 100+bhp bike)
Give me the OTR figure of 9.16 plus 4k for tire huggers, deal with HDFC loan shit and issue an apology letter. I will stay away from them forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
One request for owners , could you guys please stop requesting / begging TRIUMPH to fix it ? Start demanding or ordering them to fix it and they better do it . You have paid a bloody huge amount of money .
No one is begging or pleading, right now we are advising them since they have informed for "some" time. Rest time will tell..
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:10   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No one is begging or pleading, right now we are advising them since they have informed for "some" time. Rest time will tell..
+ 1 Jaggu.

Why should owners beg? If taken to court, they will have to do that, I guess.

Another theory-
1) Some mess up in their bike logistics and hence Brazilian ones came to India
2) Arai can be believed? Are they competent enough?

Did someone say that Bonnie owners should also get some apology + refund? Bless him too.

I still see people buying Triumph's. We even have a dealer amongst us at Tbhp. Hope these buyers know what happening since most would be getting their bikes after waiting for few months.
Old 1st December 2014, 14:10   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

The only correct way in which Triumph can set it right is by bringing the bike back to its advertised 105BHP . For a biker, no other consolation will help.Refunds and buybacks please the mind not the heart!
Old 1st December 2014, 14:22   #353
Senior - BHPian

Could'nt go through all the conversations in RD India FB page, hence the question. What is the conclusion of their test? I guess their dyno is pretty much believable and correct and their dyno charts for other bikes are on the same lines of company claimed figures.

So is it like the Arrow exhaust and the ECU remap actually bumps the HP figure to over 100BHP(25%)?

Or even Triumph does'nt know which version of the bike they are selling here??
Old 1st December 2014, 14:57   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Could'nt go through all the conversations in RD India FB page, hence the question. What is the conclusion of their test? I guess their dyno is pretty much believable and correct and their dyno charts for other bikes are on the same lines of company claimed figures.

So is it like the Arrow exhaust and the ECU remap actually bumps the HP figure to over 100BHP(25%)?

According to their dyno runs, they got 80bhp at wheel for street triple + Arrow exhaust(along with remap) +97 octane fuel.
Their estimated power at crank is 96 bhp.

According to the dyno graphs i have seen on international forums, a stock street(106PS) model is doing 90bhp at wheel!

So i guess there must be some restriction in exhaust & ECU of street triple 85 PS version which when replaced with arrow gave those bumped up figures.
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 15:30   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
2) Arai can be believed? Are they competent enough?
Yes for a change something that can be in our great nation

Quote:
Did someone say that Bonnie owners should also get some apology + refund? Bless him too.
Ofcourse they should, though its a minor drop its a drop alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The only correct way in which Triumph can set it right is by bringing the bike back to its advertised 105BHP . For a biker, no other consolation will help.Refunds and buybacks please the mind not the heart!
101% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
80 hp at wheels says graph, so with Arrow + Arrow remap + 97 Ron fuel (which adds power at top end), its about 100 bhp at best at crank and that too at a higher rpm. Doable yes but am not sure if people took it the right way how the data was published. It just made it confusing opening up a big can of worms.

The stock bike with 91 Ron whereas recorded only 64 or 68 which is actually closer to 85 bhp which is what is being sold, ie brazilian spec bike.

Quote:
Or even Triumph does'nt know which version of the bike they are selling here??
They are clear, it is the owners and dealers who are doing all this dyno circus. Triumph knows they have messed up. The model identification against my bike vin has a (b) at the end. Isn't it proof enough

Now if they agree to fix the issue, i would only trust the ARAI rating for that, and any number 100 or plus is more than enough from ARAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
So i guess there must be some restriction in exhaust & ECU of street triple 85 PS version which when replaced with arrow gave those bumped up figures.
Yup a nominal 5-6 bhp is what dealers promise when they offer upgrade. Add 97 Ron top end one would be able to squeeze out more.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 15:55   #356
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu

They will never be able to give you 106. You know that.

Get your money back, and put it on a brand that will give you what they advertise. I hear the KTM 690 twins are coming.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 18:24   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Jaggu

They will never be able to give you 106. You know that.

Get your money back, and put it on a brand that will give you what they advertise. I hear the KTM 690 twins are coming.
Steer i wish it was that easy, they are not going to give the money back like that. It will be long drawn legal one, instead i prefer a 106 pack with warranty ofcourse

Update from my side: Customer.care email id has responded and have asked for some time to get back
Old 1st December 2014, 19:17   #358
BHPian

The only way I see Triumph getting out of this mess is by replacing every Street Triple with a Street Triple R, and THEN giving some freebies over and above that. All of this should of course happen in addition to litigation, so that these brands fear taking us Indians for a ride again in future. I understand this might look too hard to achieve, but this is what feels like a reasonable scenario for the buyers and bikers at large.

I, like a lot of others, had plans to get the Striple in 2015. Although I can't say I fully understand what the owners must be going through, I think I do have the general idea. I've seen a lot of derogatory comments on Facebook as well, asking non-Striple/non-Triumph owners to not complain, which I find to be just plain ignorant.

Let's hope this gets over soon, and in a positive way!
Old 1st December 2014, 20:59   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
The only way I see Triumph getting out of this mess is by replacing every Street Triple with a Street Triple R, and THEN giving some freebies over and above that. All of this should of course happen in addition to litigation, so that these brands fear taking us Indians for a ride again in future. I understand this might look too hard to achieve, but this is what feels like a reasonable scenario for the buyers and bikers at large.
Only if , but sure, as long as we are dreaming. At this point in time, i would be more that relieved if they just offered to buy back my Striple, though for the life of me i can't figure out what else i would go out and buy instead...

Last edited by A_v_i : 1st December 2014 at 21:07.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:31   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Only if , but sure, as long as we are dreaming. At this point in time, i would be more that relieved if they just offered to buy back my Striple, though for the life of me i can't figure out what else i would go out and buy instead...
Take money and wait for a few months. I read they are launching ST R which has fully adjustable suspension + better brakes and since there is no brazilian model, i am sure it makes 100bhp. Now that will be VFM if priced in region of current ST.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks