Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 09:32   #271
BHPian

re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

This is horrifying. MD of TI is blatantly washing his hands of the situation

Does anyone have a brochure which highlights the disclaimer Mr.Sumbly claims is mentioned?
Avi, looks like all of us missed a thing here. the brochure given to me by Triumph Chennai says "Data given to UK Market specification"

please find the attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20141128091356109.pdf (1.08 MB, 341 views)
SRTH1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 09:51   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, this is a clear case of misrepresentation by Triumph India and taking the biking enthusiast for a ride.

I think owners for sure can take a legal recourse here with consumer forums. There are precedents for companies being taken to task for misrepresentations in marketing collateral/communications at a much softer case than this.

A decade or so ago, Opel was fined for misrepresenting their astra as a German engineered one while hiding the fact that their engine came from Australia.

Quote:
"Misrepresentation as to the manufacturer of the vehicle - if a German vehicle engine of the vehicle manufactured in Australia ‘engineered with finest German precision’ amounts to same thing - consumer misled - case for replacement of the vehicle"
This is the full copy of the consumer case/judgement at this link.
http://ncdrc.nic.in/FA1501998.html

Just get hold of marketing collateral/website data/communications that imply this misrepresentation and take them to consumer court
khan_sultan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 10:25   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

This is the full copy of the consumer case/judgement at this link.
http://ncdrc.nic.in/FA1501998.html

Just get hold of marketing collateral/website data/communications that imply this misrepresentation and take them to consumer court
Great find! After Pramods' ARAI certificate post this is the other post that cements my belief we havent become a corporate dictatorship yet.

At the cost of sounding pompous i shared elsewhere too that i have twice appealed in the court against a govt decision and succeded both times. In the second instance I did not even hire a lawyer, just read through the law presented my own case, and won! Ppl at the court thought I was a lawyer! Took many months but it happened, and i still look back at that instance with a lot of pride.

Sharing my success only to highlight that law and justice hasn't dissapeared from our country. But in India, instead of an orgasm it is bit like nirvana, you have to work really hard to get it! ...and you will get it if you make up your mind.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 10:54   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987 View Post
Avi, looks like all of us missed a thing here. the brochure given to me by Triumph Chennai says "Data given to UK Market specification"

please find the attached.
I have attached the brochure sent to me by the dealer, after i booked the bike. The same was also sent to me earlier in the year when i had inquired about the Striple.

I did not read through every line, but a quick search did not return any positive matches for the words "UK" or "Euro".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Striple_15_10_2014.pdf (904.9 KB, 556 views)

Last edited by A_v_i : 28th November 2014 at 10:59.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:02   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I believe that Triumph messed things up by what is tantamount to mis-advertising products. The reasons could be manifold (lack of attention to detail in marketing material, squaring things off with regulatory approvals, wilful misrepresentation etc). In any case, guessing the reasons is an exercise of pure conjecture.
Triumph is in a very big mess.I agree with you, the stripple even with the detuned specs is a very good bike and i too would enjoy it, but it's not the power that will keep me away from the bike , it's Triumph I have lost my faith on the company. Who know's what else is there in their kitty

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th November 2014 at 11:41. Reason: Please do not quote entire post for a short reply. Inconveinences our mobile readers
Old 28th November 2014, 11:07   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
I have attached the brochure sent to me by the dealer, after i booked the bike. The same was also sent to me earlier in the year when i have inquired about the Striple.

I did not read through every line, but a quick search did not return any positive matches for the words "UK" or "Euro".
This brochure is the one which used to be available in their website earlier for download. Don't know whether they have changed it now. But i guess these are the European brochures which they just uploaded in Indian site. The units used are not SI. Ex: lb.ft for torque against N.m.

Whatever said and done, nobody can deny the fact that we have been cheated and Triumph is answerable to Indian customers. They cannot take us for granted. We as a leading forum, need to stand up for this cause, take triumph by scruff of its neck and tell them they cannot fool Indian customers.

I for one was closely looking at the Daytona as my next upgrade. Z800 seems the way to go now i guess.

Last edited by SRTH1987 : 28th November 2014 at 11:17.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:11   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987 View Post
This is not at all true. Using high octane fuel does not increase power by any means. Remember, higher the octane rating higher is the ability to stand higher compression ratio and avoid pre ignition. That's exactly why super bikes are advised 97 octane. It has nothing to do with increasing power.
Well, my point is that under ARAI test conditions the bike produced only 79 BHP at the crank instead of 85 BHP as claimed by TI. So one of the reason could be due to use of low octane fuel.

"This is what British petroleum has to say about high octane fuel as compared to low octane fuel

Modern vehicles have sophisticated engine management systems that can detect engine knock and will adapt the engine to run on the fuel without knocking by changing the time at which the spark fires to simulate a lower compression. When they use a lower octane fuel the engine will adapt to use that fuel without knocking but this will mean a loss in power and increase in emissions. "

So my point was that by using lower octane fuel your bike is not able to produce the power it was designed to in Triple's case 79 BHP instead of 85 BHP. So by using 97 octane the engine will be hopefully able to produce the company claimed figure and not more than 85 BHP.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:13   #278
BHPian

This might just open a can of worms. At the moment Triumph is exposed. Maybe they were unlucky to get caught. It could very well help to get hold of ARAI certificates for other bikes / manufacturers and see if they have been doing the same.
argchoff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 12:40   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
So my point was that by using lower octane fuel your bike is not able to produce the power it was designed to in Triple's case 79 BHP instead of 85 BHP. So by using 97 octane the engine will be hopefully able to produce the company claimed figure and not more than 85 BHP.
Point 1: Street is designed for 91 Ron fuel

Point 2: Look at the manual image in earlier post and look at the power rating. So it is not the Ron rating that makes so much drop!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th November 2014 at 23:38. Reason: created smaller thumbnail :)
Old 28th November 2014, 12:53   #280
Senior - BHPian

Triumph customer has updated on FB as foll:

I have spoken to the GM at Shaman Triumph Mumbai. He said that these are 85ps model that are being sold in India. And now he has taken a week's time to sort out the matter. So need to wait now.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:46   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Triumph customer has updated on FB as foll:

I have spoken to the GM at Shaman Triumph Mumbai. He said that these are 85ps model that are being sold in India. And now he has taken a week's time to sort out the matter. So need to wait now.

The dealer in hyderabad has told my friend who owns a speed that they have a "solution" available to resolve the matter and they will get back in a week.

Wondering if the statement is genuine or just to calm the owners for time-being!
Old 28th November 2014, 13:57   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
85ps model that are being sold in India. And now he has taken a week's time to sort out the matter. So need to wait now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
The dealer in hyderabad has told my friend who owns a speed that they have a "solution" available to resolve the matter and they will get back in a week.
Will find out the Pune dealer's opinion tomorrow, taking my Striple in for its first service. Not very optimistic about a solution that would get Striple to 100+BHP.
Old 28th November 2014, 14:17   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Iam privvy to that "solution" offering as iam part of same whatsapp group.

But, its simple logic that such a huge fiasco by Triumph India cannot be resolved at dealership level and that too in a week

I think your friend and many others on the group who think same are simply being naive to beileve that it will be resolved by a dealer
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 14:34   #284
BANNED

Dunno how many of you are buying this baloney Triumph is feeding about the detuned Street.

As someone crossposted from a Brazilian user, the reason the 85 hp version exists there is for tax saving purpose for <100 hp. It has nothing to do with fuel issues. If it did, why are the other models including the Daytona not detuned for Brazil?

This "identified as low quality fuel" country thing does not fly either. Why, is the Street the only bike that is susceptible to poor fuel? Why no concern for the CBU bikes?

Something sure stinks.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 14:42   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, its simple logic that such a huge fiasco by Triumph India cannot be resolved at dealership level and that too in a week

I think your friend and many others on the group who think same are simply being naive to beileve that it will be resolved by a dealer
Exactly what i felt and told him the same.I feel the "solution"(if at all there is any) they are referring to is some kind of compensation rather than providing the specs they have quoted at the time of selling(EU spec).This to an extent should pacify bonnie,speed & daytona owners.But what they are going to offer for street triple owners is going to be really interesting!

Just hope this is not the end for TI.

PS: At the same time i am feeling little happy for having suggested few of my friends against street

Last edited by harsha.muvva : 28th November 2014 at 14:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks