Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:51   #136
BHPian

re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
However, to deepen the mystery, i saw the ARAI certificate for the STriple, and it rated the power at 58.3KW @ 11050RPM, which is approximately 79BHP @ 11050RPM. Did any of the current owners of Striple see the ARAI certificate for their bike?

There is no clarification forthcoming from Triupmh and the dealers themselves do not have much more information. One explanation being offered is that the power rating calculation is done differently by ARAI and Triumph-UK, and given my lack of knowledge on the matter, i do not know if i should take the explanation seriously.
Sounds baloney. One possibility is the Striple in its full glory failed to clear some ARAI regulations causing Triumph to detune. Cant think of what though. Surely it cant be emissions as the European norms are usually stricter, with which the ST had no problems.

I dont think Z800 had to go through the same homologation process.
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:56   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Sounds baloney. One possibility is the Striple in its full glory failed to clear some ARAI regulations causing Triumph to detune. Cant think of what though. Surely it cant be emissions as the European norms are usually stricter, with which the ST had no problems.

I dont think Z800 had to go through the same homologation process.
Does that mean all Striples sold till date have been detuned? There should not be such a sudden and significant change in ARAI regulations that cause Triumph to detune the newer bike and lower the power by 25%.

Not sure if any of the existing owners ever got the chance to see the ARAI certificate for their Striples, that would help.
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:56   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Of course, need to finish the run-in first.

So i have collected the bike and was reassured constantly that it is the 106BHP version. However, to deepen the mystery, i saw the ARAI certificate for the STriple, and it rated the power at 58.3KW @ 11050RPM, which is approximately 79BHP @ 11050RPM

I am hoping to get clarification by early next week of what actually have i bought, and i sure hope it is what i paid for, i.e, 106BHP.
Congratulations!! Enjoy the ride mate! don't fret too much about the numbers! Will only dampen the joy!As long as the bike's quick like a rocket sled, you've got what you paid for ride safe!

Last edited by udainxs : 22nd November 2014 at 17:58.
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:07   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So i have collected the bike and was reassured constantly that it is the 106BHP version.
Congrats Avi. Howz initial riding experience? Do post some pics and ride safe.

Quote:
However, to deepen the mystery, i saw the ARAI certificate for the STriple, and it rated the power at 58.3KW @ 11050RPM, which is approximately 79BHP @ 11050RPM.
Where is this sticker? Does triumph provide you any kind of letter which indicates performance figures?
My bike is CBU import and hence it bypassed ARAI.

Quote:
One explanation being offered is that the power rating calculation is done differently by ARAI and Triumph-UK, and given my lack of knowledge on the matter, i do not know if i should take the explanation seriously.
Horse power is same whether its an indian horse or a british horse

Quote:
I am hoping to get clarification by early next week of what actually have i bought, and i sure hope it is what i paid for, i.e, 106BHP.
Are you expecting triumph to provide you a confirmation on performance figures for your bike? They seem to be very silent on this matter on fb and posting pics about their new chandigarh dealership.
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:15   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post

Are you expecting triumph to provide you a confirmation on performance figures for your bike? They seem to be very silent on this matter on fb and posting pics about their new chandigarh dealership.
Have been met with the same stony silence on twitter as well.

Off topic, a search on what ARAI does, doesn't show more than evaluating fuel efficiency. What is their role in homologation and sale in India?
Old 22nd November 2014, 21:25   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean all Striples sold till date have been detuned? There should not be such a sudden and significant change in ARAI regulations that cause Triumph to detune the newer bike and lower the power by 25%.

Not sure if any of the existing owners ever got the chance to see the ARAI certificate for their Striples, that would help.
I have absolutely no idea. Its just a theory. Still surprising that we havent had an official statement or a response to any emails that members may have sent.
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:01   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Congratulations!! Enjoy the ride mate! don't fret too much about the numbers! Will only dampen the joy!As long as the bike's quick like a rocket sled, you've got what you paid for ride safe!
Thanks! Definitely enjoying the ride, was out whole day today trying to get a head start on the run-in. Also saw a Triumph group on NH4, not sure if the guys are on team-bhp.

Interestingly, i have not pushed my bike anywhere close to the limits (because of the run-in), but i don't perceive a major performance gap with the test ride vehicle the dealer has (of course the Striple available for test ride also comes with Arrows).
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:08   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Definitely enjoying the ride, was out whole day today trying to get a head start on the run-in. Also saw a Triumph group on NH4, not sure if the guys are on team-bhp.
You should register with the local triumph club. I'm sure there is something on the lines of BRATs and HRATs in Pune.
Look forward to an ownership thread from you soon!

Ride safe!
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:11   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Avi. Howz initial riding experience? Do post some pics and ride safe.
Thanks! I am very bad at maintaining a photologue, too distracted while riding to remember clicking pics along the way. Did click a few at the end of today's ride, will start a thread this week and post. If there is another thread that i can post to, let me know...

Quote:
Where is this sticker? Does triumph provide you any kind of letter which indicates performance figures?
My bike is CBU import and hence it bypassed ARAI.
No sticker or letter with performance figures.

The certificate is with the dealer and i presume presented to the RTO for registration. I happened to spot it amongst all the documents i was made to acknowledge, maybe because 11050RPM was burnt in my head and i picked that number out on a paper buried within other details.

Quote:
Nice one!

Quote:
Well yes, i want Triumph to tell me what is it that i have bought (not that it would make me love the bike any less ). If the power rating is less, i would like to know, so that i can use it as an excuse when i can't keep up with the Z800s

Yes, the Pune dealer mentioned that all the senior management were busy yesterday with the Chandigarh inauguration and he could not get me more details before next week.
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:21   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
You should register with the local triumph club. I'm sure there is something on the lines of BRATs and HRATs in Pune.
PRATs? The dealer was suppose to send me the details, but they aren't great at follow-ups. Will push them for more information this week.

Interestingly, since i have picked up the Triumph, i am seeing a lot more Triumphs around. Maybe, its just getting into the same queue at the fuel bunks.

On the ride today, I was hoping against hope that my bike does not return radically different mileage figures as compared to what i have read on this forum. Luckily, it did not.
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:31   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Can someone confirm whether the twins and the triples have throttle by wire or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Yes the Street Triple R has a restricted version for EU A2 license. And no, the triples are not ride by wire. Not sure about the Twins though.
Checked. Bonnie not throttle wire.

A2 is 45 bhp max, right? If so, Bonnie maybe, but striple?

Regards
Sutripta

PS:- next superbike meet/ ride, Dynolicious figures anyone.
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:07   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Dynolicious figures anyone.
Any idea about how accurate it is?
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:03   #148
Senior - BHPian

^^^
We should get a pretty good idea, esp. given a large enough sample to crosscheck with.
Need accurate weights figures though.
Anybody with a VBox?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th November 2014, 06:56   #149
BHPian

Quote:
PRATs? The dealer was suppose to send me the details, but they aren't great at follow-ups. Will push them for more information this week.
I just noticed that you are in Pune. Let me know if you want join for a ride sometime
Old 24th November 2014, 10:44   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know about that Djay .....

English (Shire) "Striple"

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-tyw20mascot.jpg

Indian (Marwari) "Striple"

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-marwari5.jpg

Though to be fair, recent new data suggests that horses and rhinos originated from India originally.
ebonho is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks