Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 12:09   #151
BHPian

re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

ARAI certificate for STriple, it was alway 58.35kW to start with in India
Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-street-triple.jpg

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post

-Pramod
Thanks for that great find Pramod. Its dated September 2013.

And it equates to 78.25 BHP.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:17   #153
BHPian

Great find Pramod. Really sad to see this :(
Does this mean that they've provided false information and cheated customers all along?
Aren't they staring at a big lawsuit here?
Old 24th November 2014, 12:35   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Does this mean that they've provided false information and cheated customers all along?
106 bhp is never going to be the same as 78.25 bhp, be it Triumph England or ARAI India. ARAI is the central regulatory testing facility for all brands and models in India. What they say is what you get. Officially.

Quote:
Aren't they staring at a big lawsuit here?
Depends on how fussed the current owners are. And what Triumph can and will do (or try to) in the days to come.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Great find, thanks! So i was not imagining the numbers i saw on the ARAI certificate when collecting my bike

What does this mean for existing owners? I don't really care about the BHP difference, but the misrepresentation bit gets to me...
Old 24th November 2014, 12:50   #156
BHPian

Quote:
ARAI certificate for STriple, it was alway 58.35kw

-Pramod
hi is it possible to find for Bonneville as well , i am planning to book on wednesday will wait till things clear up from Triumph
Old 24th November 2014, 13:00   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
hi is it possible to find for Bonneville as well , i am planning to book on wednesday will wait till things clear up from Triumph
Given the Striple fiasco, am inclined to believe all Bonnies, Striples and Daytonas sold till date at least carried the lower power figures on their ARAI certificates. However, given the 8 odd BHP drop for the Bonnie, is that really a deal breaker?

Last edited by A_v_i : 24th November 2014 at 13:08.
Old 24th November 2014, 13:11   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
Given the Striple fiasco, am inclined to believe all Bonnies, Striples and Daytonas sold till date at least carried the lower power figures in their ARAI certificates. However, given the 8 odd BHP drop for the Bonnie, is that really a deal breaker?
it is not about BHP figs , it is about misrepresentation of facts and thereby Trust in long run .In our road / riding condition detune will not be noticeable ,however just hoping Triumph may consider repricing due to blacklash this current situation might
create , i know it is day dreaming
Old 24th November 2014, 13:14   #159
BHPian

Quote:
it is not about BHP figs , it is about misrepresentation of facts and thereby Trust in long run.
Agree with you a 100%, the primary reason i did not pick up the Striple the moment the Pune showroom opened, because i wanted to give time for any issues to surface.

Quote:
however just hoping Triumph may consider repricing due to blacklash this current situation might create , i know it is day dreaming
You do realize i picked my Striple 2 days back at the full price So, please excuse me for not being too supportive of the idea
Old 24th November 2014, 13:18   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Given the Striple fiasco, am inclined to believe all Bonnies, Striples and Daytonas sold till date at least carried the lower power figures on their ARAI certificates. However, given the 8 odd BHP drop for the Bonnie, is that really a deal breaker?
I don't think it should be a deal breaker in any sense, to put the reality on numbers here is Bonnies details

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-bonnies.jpg

Speed Triple details

Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-speedtriple.jpg

These information are already on public domain, the date mentioned is RTO approval date for that state[Delhi, for these document] but mostly these data are from start of operation on Triumph in India, I searched all these information while I was doing my Tiger registering which is a complete import and don't need ARAI certification.

Bonnie
http://it.delhigovt.nic.in/writeread...r201475268.pdf
STriple
http://it.delhigovt.nic.in/writeread...r201475264.pdf
Speed Triple
http://it.delhigovt.nic.in/writeread...r201475258.pdf

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 24th November 2014 at 13:26. Reason: Added more information and source of information too!
pramods is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 13:27   #161
Senior - BHPian

The Bonnie's figure of 44.07 Kw work out to a litle above 59 Bhp.
Old 24th November 2014, 13:35   #162
BHPian

If I may pour my 2 cents here, from what I know, ARAI does a wheel horse power testing, which as I have noted from international forums is around 97-92bhp.
Source: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-2013mvagustabrutale675vstriumphstreettriplerhptorquedyno1592x421.jpg

So we're off from the international figure by around 10 bhp. While it is obvious the power is lower at a lower rpm, why the further reduction in power is something Triumph India has to definitely answer. The main culprit could be the quality of fuel available.

Additionally, the BRATs have already sourced a place for dyno testing, and we'll post the details once we know them

Last edited by hifisharu : 24th November 2014 at 13:39.
hifisharu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 14:04   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
So we're off from the international figure by around 10 bhp. While it is obvious the power is lower at a lower rpm, why the further reduction in power is something Triumph India has to definitely answer. The main culprit could be the quality of fuel available.
Geographic location of test area also plays a role in power figures.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 14:58   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes, at one time I did wish for a sensibly priced Indian Striple, but that ship sailed a long time ago.
Doc, I meant wish for sensibly priced 600+cc bikes. Which we all have done for years now with no real solution in sight. The Duke 390 was a path breaker but if KTM doesn't carry on that business model to 690 and above then the hope of someone else doing it sometime soon seems remote. The Honda press statement said less than 10L for the 650F - not sure if that means 6L or 9.9L!
Even the Ninja650 isn't so vfm when you consider you are paying 10K+ dollar equivalent for it.

Quote:
a bike has got to be lusted over, otherwise its not worth owning.
Couldn't agree more. That lust though, can change if you ride the bike of your dreams sometimes. I lusted for a Ducati Monster. Saw a good condition one and went for a test ride - and the lust disappeared. The bike simply did not connect at all. I was on the fence on the Street Triple, went for a test ride and wanted nothing else so badly

Quote:
The Z800 now - that's different ..... I can see myself riding that one.
The Z800 looks awesome in my view - let that yearning build long enough and it will spur you to action

Quote:
In that case, Triumph might as well wind up the Striple.
Indeed - I am afraid to give the bike for service now. Unless this rumor is confirmed one way or the other. Don't want the bike to come back as a different machine.

Quote:
So i have collected the bike and was reassured constantly that it is the 106BHP version.
Congrats mate! Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Checked. Bonnie not throttle wire.

A2 is 45 bhp max, right? If so, Bonnie maybe, but striple?

Regards
Sutripta

PS:- next superbike meet/ ride, Dynolicious figures anyone.
Yes, A2 is 47bhp I think but the rules seem a bit funny. I read a review sometime back pitting cbr500 vs a restricted GSXR600 for A2 category! I think the general rule for this is that a bike can not be restricted to less than 50% of it's full power to be allowed. That means there exist enough restrictors out there that can significantly pull the bhp/torque down. So it wouldn't be hard for Triumph to do that here if they wanted to..

Dyno will be the veritaserum for this. Time to do one once the arrows come.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:10   #165
BHPian

Quote:
The above link is for a Thruxton which is in a higher state of tune than the Bonnie, on the official website the figure mentioned is 51KW but Arai certification mentions 44.07 Kw.

Quote:
The Bonnie's figure of 44.07 Kw work out to a litle above 59 Bhp.
Doc, the official website mentions a figure of 45 Kw for the Bonnie which roughly translates to 40 Kw (comparing with the Arai certification) which is about 53 Bhp. Now this is getting weirder with every post.
downsouth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks