Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 23:43   #271
BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Kudos on completing 1 year with the Z Nice choice going with the hp corse hydroform. End result is sick
CoolBlueBiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 00:39   #272
BHPian

Which Superbike under 9 Lacs OTR? Eyes on Z800, Accessories @Best Prices

My Background
I am an avid biker, if I have an option of choosing a super bike Vs an expensive and powerful car, I love to go with the bike . Having said that I've been on a look out since almost 2 years now (though i was not ready with my budget) to understand which bike suits my taste and budget, although I have no riding experience on big bikes except for test drive. I am currently using my car (i20 crdi, 2011) for office commutation and Pulsar 150 (2005) & Honda Activa for local/short rides.

My Passion

My passion to ride a big bike was only increasing, which has planted a thought to own it one day when my budget permits and that time has come now. I love the power delivery, smoothness and sound of an in-line 4, keeping that in mind I started to look out for one since 2014. I came to know then that Benelli 600 and Honda 650F are going to get launched in 2015. After waiting for months and reading reviews, launch date has come and the price of Benelli 600i placed around 6lacs. As the price is closer to my budget it made me jump out of excitement, but then wanted to wait and see Honda 650F's pricing because Benelli din't have ABS then. Later Honda 650F was launched in Aug'15 with pricing @ 8.2lac OTR Hyderabad that disappointed me so much. Though its probably worth the money, but above my expectations.

My Riding Preference

After carefully assessing what type of rider I am, I realised that - 1) I like upright sitting posture 2) Like to go on long rides may be 2 times a year for around 600-1000 kms (one way), many <300 km rides (if possible) & occasional city rides too 3) Prefer to ride an in-line 4 for its power delivery, smoothness and sound 4) Braking/ABS 5) Comfort 6) Lesser wind blast.

Which Bike?

Now keeping above points in mind (as I have very few options in India) I increased my budget to 8lacs to accommodate 650F as it ticks all the right boxes except for its slightly aggressive posture. But when I can go upto 8+lacs, why not Z800? Then started to read a lot of reviews on Z800 and watched plethora of videos on youtube, post which I learnt that Z800 not suitable for long rides due to 1) its slightly aggressive sitting posture - can possibly be rectified with handlebar risers (30mm) 2) Hard seat - can be rectified possibly with Strap on Gel seat when needed 3) Wind Blast @ higher speeds - can be rectified possibly with a touring windscreen like MRA/Puig etc. All of these are more or less available in India now.

My heart says Z800, but mind still says to look out for more options, even if I have to switch to a 2 cylinder cruiser, harley iron 883, Triumph Bonny, Benelli 600i & GT ABS, Ninja 650, Versys 650, CBR 650F etc. So friends i need your valuable inputs to make a perfect decision, where I should not be making a wrong choice considering both my heart & mind. Ultimately i dont want to end up with a feeling that I should not have picked it! I have these thoughts because I dont have required riding experience on any of these big bikes, So I need to depend only on suggestions & reviews.

Accessories

Can I have references to any dealer/contacts where I can get accessories for lesser prices as far as possible? Please also suggest me which ones to go for and why? I am looking out for:
1) After market Exhaust - Arrow Race Tech slip on - Around 40k - JV Promoto
- Akrapovic slip on - 62k - Horizon in Hyderabad
2) Wind Screen - MRA Touring or Puig Touring - around 8-10k - JV Promoto & Horizon
3) Crash Guard / Frame sliders - Horizon - Price??
4) Radiator Guard - Where? - Price?
5) Extenda Fenda - Where? - Price?
6) Handlebar Riser - Is it required? - Checked with Redlineplus - INR 2500.
7) Gel Seat strap on - Redlineplus - inr 2500
8) Saddle Bags - Where? Price?
9) Riding Gear - Helmet with Cam, Jacket, Gloves, pads
10) Paddock Stand
11) Any other thats required

I might probably have to go phase wise with so many things in pipe line
Really sorry for a long story and all questions at once.
Old 1st July 2016, 09:14   #273
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Superbike under 9 Lacs OTR? Eyes on Z800, Accessories @Best Prices

I am "almost" in the same boat. Since last one year, I have been pondering over superbike reviews and youtube videos to find that perfect match for me. But somehow, the finances and uncertainty about relocation to a new place are not allowing me to go ahead with a purchase at the moment. But hopefully by this year end or by early next year, things will be sorted at the workplace from relocation point of view so I will be able to make a sound decision.

My requirements are simple - I need a corner carving tool that can double up as a decent mile-muncher as well. Basically an all-rounder. I do a fair amount of touring so would need my next bike to be comfy and have decent luggage carrying ability with reliable mechanicals.

Currently confused between CBR650F and Street Triple. The very nimble Striple impresses me a lot, more than any other bike in the segment. It is detuned, it has stalling issues, but still my heart yearns for a Striple because its so much fun to ride this machine around the corners.

I prefer a lighter bike so Street Triple and MT09 (it is over my budget, but whatta motorcycle) are the two major reasons of confusion followed by CBR650F and Versys 650 as these two motorcycles are also great tourers.

Not so keen on the Z800 because the Kawasaki folks have managed to ruin my every showroom experience so far. Plus they offer test rides inside their compound, while Triumph is more than happy to give me a Street Triple for 100-200 km breakfast ride along with the RATS group in Pune on any weekend.

But still the Zed is under consideration.

That makes it 5 reasons to get confused - Street Triple, MT09, CBR650F, Versys 650, Z800. Now all of these have a very different genre and are not direct competitors. Some are great in the straight line and outright power delivery, some are great around the twisties while some are masters in long distance touring. The problem is I seek all of these in one package.

So far I have not got a chance to ride a Versys 650 and MT09 so major observations are as per the reviews over the web.

I will be following this thread with great interest !

From your requirements though, I feel CBR will be a more suitable match than the Zed Eight. Lesser wind blast, comfortable, has ABS, decent enough to munch some miles, inline 4 smoothness, the 650F checks all boxes. The riding position is slightly committed though. Test ride all the bikes extensively to make an informed decision.
//M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 11:10   #274
BHPian

Re: Which Superbike under 9 Lacs OTR? Eyes on Z800, Accessories @Best Prices

Thanks so much //M. I will consider your suggestion. Yes, all the bikes you mentioned are from different genre and come with different abilities. I am in the same situation and looking out for a bike that's an all rounder. From the reviews on web, Its the 'Ninja 1000' that I think meets all my requirements, but way above my budget @12.65 lacs ex-showroom.

Versys 650 meets all your requirements except for cornering that you wanted and more over if you are a in-line 4 fan, you might not like the exhaust note, but its very comfortable and a mile cruncher. Between 650F and Striple, I personally would pick 650F for its all round ability, except for aggressive posture.

Really sorry to know your bad experience with Kawasaki at the same time its really impressive that Triumph has given 100+ kms test ride. I suggest you try one more time to test Z800 on a long ride if you get a chance.

My test ride experience with Z800 too is not impressive. They just took me into a small lane behind kachiguda railway station, even before I accelerate and switch to 3rd gear, the lane ends. Its an impressive machine though, very smooth, powerful, good in cornering, excellent brakes and comfortable too. What I dint like about it is, seat is on harder side, might not suit for long rides. Secondly, its quite heavy, we don't feel the weight on move, but during slow turns/u-turns it is heavy and if we tend to stall the bike during turns, chances to drop are more.

Anyways, I will test ride more and also wait for our experienced fellow BHPians to suggest.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 23:44   #275
BHPian

Hello BHPians, please help me choose a right bike per my heart & mind as mentioned above. I can take test rides but not getting chance to take them for long rides, due to which I am not getting enough confidence (that an experienced would have) to zero down on any of them.

I have a back pain problem, will the posture of Z800 aggravate the problem more on long rides?
Old 8th July 2016, 00:38   #276
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Idpsharma,

Honestly speaking it would be difficult to suggest the right bike since you have a back problem. The only way to know whether a bike would be comfortable for your back or not is to take one for a long ride. Hyderabad has a lot of options where u can rent a superbike for a day or more. Rent one for the weekend - I am sure a 100 kms ride will really help you decide on the right bike. Ride it in city traffic too.

http://www.driven.in/bikes-hyderabad.html

http://www.4wheeltravels.com/self-ride.php

Upfront I can say that the Z800 is not a comfortable bike for long rides. I have a back problem too and can vouch for it. One of the main reasons I don't go for a very long ride - max I can ride is 300 kms in a day. For long rides, don't look further than the Versys 650

You have also listed the MT-09 in your list. Would be good to wait and test it out before making a decision.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 02:26   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
I increased my budget to 8lacs to accommodate 650F as it ticks all the right boxes except for its slightly aggressive posture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
My requirements are simple - I need a corner carving tool that can double up as a decent mile-muncher as well. Basically an all-rounder. I do a fair amount of touring so would need my next bike to be comfy and have decent luggage carrying ability with reliable mechanicals.

The problem is I seek all of these in one package.
I feel so connected to this Dilemma. The problem is we want a do it all bike and there is no do it all bike in the world that sort of does everything perfectly. These are do it all bikes but with some strengths and weaknesses over the others.

Prioritizing what you like the most and where you can give up a bit can help come closer. Although none of them are bad bikes and you will be happy with any of them, but still take as many test rides as possible.

650F does not have a very aggressive riding position. Its very close to a CBR250.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 09:03   #278
BHPian

Quote:

I have a back pain problem, will the posture of Z800 aggravate the problem more on long rides?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hello Idpsharma,

Upfront I can say that the Z800 is not a comfortable bike for long rides. I have a back problem too and can vouch for it. One of the main reasons I don't go for a very long ride - max I can ride is 300 kms in a day. For long rides, don't look further than the Versys 650
I have driven almost 500Kms in a day on Z800. I did not had any issues with my back, it is the butt which causes issue.

Also another issue in such naked bikes is the wind blast.

As rightly pointed out by V12, for long rides Versys would be best bet. You can go through our moderator mobike's thread link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ght-begin.html
Vasuki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 12:09   #279
BHPian

Thanks so much v12, Rachit & Vasuki for your prompt responses.

Quote:
Rent one for the weekend - I am sure a 100 kms ride will really help you decide on the right bike. Ride it in city traffic too.
I really dint get this thought, will definitely try this option . And BTW, will raising handle-bar of Z800 by some 30mm add any benefit to ergonomics? or will the handling goes for a toss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Prioritizing what you like the most and where you can give up a bit can help come closer.
You rightly pointed out Rachit. I think i need to prioritize things. At the moment - inline-4 sound/Budget/Braking/upright-sitting is something that i feel i cannot give up and give my back pain problem a back seat . v12 - Am i thinking right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I have driven almost 500Kms in a day on Z800. I did not had any issues with my back, it is the butt which causes issue.

Also another issue in such naked bikes is the wind blast.
When you say you could do 500 kms in a day, it is a comfortable bike infact. But again depends on person to person physical fitness. Even if I plan to do a long ride I will surely take a long break after around 600 kms ride. My usual long trip from Hyderabad would be to my in-laws place in Kerala-Thalassery. So stop over would be either in Bangalore or Mysore.

For Saddle sore, strap on Gel seats should help right? Coming to wind blast, Will the after market touring windscreens help?
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 13:49   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly speaking it would be difficult to suggest the right bike since you have a back problem. The only way to know whether a bike would be comfortable for your back or not is to take one for a long ride. Hyderabad has a lot of options where u can rent a superbike for a day or more. Rent one for the weekend - I am sure a 100 kms ride will really help you decide on the right bike. Ride it in city traffic too.

http://www.driven.in/bikes-hyderabad.html

http://www.4wheeltravels.com/self-ride.php

Allen : That's a fantastic suggestion.

IDPsharma : I think you should just go to Driven and take a bike for a short test ride. Infact, you can even strike a deal with him and ask to ride all his bikes over the course of day for a fixed price

He has some very good bikes and cars (Audi RS3 and even Porsche GT etc) available for rent.

I go there once every few weeks to meet some friends who hang out there and besides it's stone throw away from home

Let me know I can connect you to a friend who is a regular there and can help you strike a deal with the owner so you can ride all bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I feel so connected to this Dilemma. The problem is we want a do it all bike and there is no do it all bike in the world that sort of does everything perfectly. These are do it all bikes but with some strengths and weaknesses over the others.
Hmm. True to a large extent. But, speaking personally, I have always been very clear headed in what I wanted. And, all my vehicle purchase is sealed "during" and not "after" the test drive/ride

I have bought 10 cars and nearly as many 2-wheelers (all brand new) in the last 12-13 years and all purchases were made instantaneously as you need to get the connect

I shortlist based on personal wants and reading reviews and ONLY a test ride can seal the deal

Last two instances have been Bonnie and Versys : Both bought instantaneously after a test ride as I knew what I wanted and never looked at other motorcycles except maybe consider 1-2 other variants like T100, Street Tripple etc.

My requirement was simple "

1. Upright Posture
2. Decent Power
3. Smoothness (This is IMPORTANT)
4. Good Handling
5. Good Braking
6. Rides Good (This is IMPORTANT)

Basically a motorcycle that you will enjoy doing long distance at good touring speeds

I think this is requirement of 80% of the folks wanting a motorcycle. Remaining being the pure speed junkies

Quote:
With a back-problem, stay away from forward slanting postures. You can look at the following motorcycles which have relatively an upright posture

1. Kawasaki Ninja 650
2. Kawasaki Versys 650
3. Triumph Tiger
4. Triumph Storm
5. Benelli GT

Except GT, none of them are in-line 4 and but, you will also have to understand that just in-line 4 are not always smooth. Now even the parallel twins and Triple engines are also equally pleasurable to ride (if you can live without raw power).

I think you are not following the trend. People buy the naked/sports and then move to adventure/touring category and this is a fact and sales of the big bikes are there to prove this trend besides the fact of several people I personally know.

So you can either make the same move or jump ahead of the curve and go with current trend of getting yourself a adventure motorcycle which will also suit your riding posture requirement

But, if you cannot do without an in-line 4 then you will have to sacrifice the riding posture

Whew! Enough of the gyan. IMHO, all motorcycles are beautiful to ride but, you just need to find the one that you "connect" with and can live with for a long time

Good luck on your search
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 23:38   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
idpsharma, if you have a back problem and have the budget go for any variant of the Triumph Tiger. Take a test ride and see for yourself - you will not feel the road at all. It is incredibly comfortable besides being very powerful. I believe the Versys 650 is around 50 to 60 % of the Tigers comfort, you should check this out as well.

Cheers mate and keep us updated.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 01:05   #282
BHPian

Renting the bikes before deciding on any of them would be the right way.

Kawasaki Hyderabad doesn't have any bikes for test rides. I bought my Ninja 650 just by looking at the bike !! By Showroom guys' grace, they allowed me to start the engine of a N650 which was on display !!

I've had backache issues (both cervical and lumbar spondylitis) in the past. N650's upright position helps a lot. However you also need to take the bad roads into consideration. One bad pothole can be a problem on back.

Having owned a N650 for less than an year, I'm desperate to move up to upgrade to Z800 (if only Finance Minister approves it). N650 is a very tame bike, the twin pot sound is very unexciting !! Z800 with an Akra can actually give an Orgasm !!

Regards,
Kishor Shinde
junkishya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 09:28   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much v12, Rachit & Vasuki for your prompt responses.

I really dint get this thought, will definitely try this option . And BTW, will raising handle-bar of Z800 by some 30mm add any benefit to ergonomics? or will the handling goes for a toss?

When you say you could do 500 kms in a day, it is a comfortable bike infact. But again depends on person to person physical fitness. Even if I plan to do a long ride I will surely take a long break after around 600 kms ride. My usual long trip from Hyderabad would be to my in-laws place in Kerala-Thalassery. So stop over would be either in Bangalore or Mysore.

For Saddle sore, strap on Gel seats should help right? Coming to wind blast, Will the after market touring windscreens help?
I have purchased Ride on Air to solve the butt issue. Just had a small ride of about 25 Kms. So cannot comment on it. Yes it is much better, but being strapped on to the stock seat, there is some movement, don't know how it will fare in different modes of riding. I'll be going for a long ride this weekeend. Let me try out & will report back same.

Regarding raising of handle bars, don't know, have not felt uncomfortable in current position. Let's see.

I've ordered PUIG windscreen, can only comment after testing it.

Last edited by Vasuki : 9th July 2016 at 09:35.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 14:32   #284
BHPian

@Avi, thanks so much. You make a lot of sense and it shows your experience.
I'd like to get in touch with 'Driven' guys and get a good deal to test drive the bikes that I have shortlisted. If you can help me get in touch with them, that would be really great!

@Cyborg, my budget is max of inr 9 lacs OTR, so I dont think I can opt Tiger!
Old 10th July 2016, 15:58   #285
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

So I was looking for a good crown (windscreen) for Godzilla. Was checking online for all the available brands - Puig, Pyramid and other local ones. Nothing was available for under 8-10k. Found a few on AliExpress as well but was not sure of the quality.

While the Puig and Pyramid are excellent at reducing windblast - those would be effective only at high speeds I.e. above 140-150. Something that Captain Slow (that's me) is not going to see for a long time. So my requirement was just cosmetic and not functional. Started looking at alternate options - bikes sold in India which have a fairing. And finally zeroed down on the Frazer's windscreen. Looks like a perfect match and costs almost nothing compared the the Puig, Pyramid...
I still haven't fitted it on the bike - will do so on a nice sunny day. I only hope it fits on the existing holes - else I will have to drill more holes.

Total Damage :
Price - Rs. 213
VAT - Rs. 37
Total - Rs. 240
Attached Thumbnails
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20160710_152936.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks