Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 16:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Ride - Ducati Scrambler

I don't really see traffic riding being an issue for any of these bikes honestly. I regularly see superbikes, including quite a number of Hayabusas ambling around at 10-15 kmph in peak hour Pune Camp traffic.

Now Pune traffic is very different from big city (Mumbai, Bangalore) traffic. Its rarely stop and go, and is best compared to water trickling over land. Will eddy across and find the path of least resistance. Lanes? Ha! More than a centimeter between your bike and adjoining car's paint? Bigger HA!!

So big bikes do this "chaos theory" riding pretty ok out here.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
Too Bad am unable to get its torque graph to better explain you.
here you go mate ... source: Scrambler Slam: Ducati vs. Triumph
First Ride - Ducati Scrambler-ducatiscramblervstriumphscramblerhptorquedyno633x450.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 16:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
here you go mate ... source:
Cheers, Exactly what I wanted to express. Ideally the sweet spot is to keep the engine revs between 3500 to 3800. One grab of throttle it should be able t0 leap ahead.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers, Exactly what I wanted to express. Ideally the sweet spot is to keep the engine revs between 3500 to 3800. One grab of throttle it should be able t0 leap ahead.
My point was not about power but torque too. My mistake that I could not put it through properly.

I meant you would need more gear changes in the city on the Scrambler as it is happy somewhere midway and hates what is idling or near it.

Ambling around at low speeds is fine and every machine can do it but the way it does it is what I was thinking about.

Do I need to continuously play with the clutch to keep it running ? Do I need to shift to the 1st and probably keep it there throughout my city ride (like most supers and hypers do) ? Can I just brake from a higher speed for a hump, reduce speed and again speed away without shifting too many times ?

I thought the Bonnie could do all of that when I test rode it so a major win over the Scrambler from my point of view.

The review says the showroom guy asked them to keep the rpms high and hence my observations.

The torque curve there shows what I was saying. The Triumph will give you the flat top torque at whatever low RPM you are but the Scrambler will ask you to push her higher to make everything seem normal. Again, comparative !

Last edited by Sojogator : 7th May 2015 at 16:57.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
I meant you would need more gear changes in the city on the Scrambler as it is happy somewhere midway and hates what is idling or near it.

I thought the Bonnie could do all of that when I test rode it so a major win over the Scrambler from my point of view.

!
Suppose only a true road test would be able to justify how exactly Scrambler actually behaves since neither you and me have actually ridden the bike

Cheers Till then
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Suppose only a true road test would be able to justify how exactly Scrambler actually behaves since neither you and me have actually ridden the bike

Cheers Till then
Absolutely. Nothing like a real ride. Changes month old decisions, made out of YouTube videos, in a couple of minutes

Cheers !
Old 7th May 2015, 17:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

The thing about torque curves and a lot of this tech stuff is that it goes like Allan Donald bouncers over my head.

I was always told that a Ninja 250 was a high revving twin which needed to be wrung out to get life into her, dead low down, etc etc.

Till the day I first rode one and enjoyed myself thoroughly within the first 500 meters of taking of like a maniac and then hitting traffic and again and again - remember the water?

Point is, each bike can be ridden around whatever its design parameters or limitations are, once you get a feel for the machine and the way it moves.

The Duke 390 is a royal pain to ride in bad traffic. But cool your mind, think Zen thoughts (or ride with your son following on a Kinetic .....), and even that becomes possible.

@sojogator if you notice, the Ducs torque curve is actually a much flatter one than that of the Triumph that starts dying away a lot earlier and then actually drops away.
Old 7th May 2015, 17:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Till the day I first rode one and enjoyed myself thoroughly within the first 500 meters of taking of like a maniac and then hitting traffic and again and again - remember the water?

Point is, each bike can be ridden around whatever its design parameters or limitations are, once you get a feel for the machine and the way it moves.

@sojogator if you notice, the Ducs torque curve is actually a much flatter one than that of the Triumph that starts dying away a lot earlier and then actually drops away.
I agree that every machine can be ridden every which way. Afterall, they are machines. But some are easier than others to adjust to in certain situations.

Yes the curve is longer. The punch will stay on further in the rev range with the Ducati. The Triumph though, has around 10 (from the graph) points advantage lower down (till around 4000 rpm) so that will help in slow city crawling because that is where most of the times the bike will stay in the traffic. Also, I have no idea about the gear ratios of the 2. To me, a long gearing in the lower cogs means more effort in slow movement (Striple).
Old 7th May 2015, 20:45   #39
BHPian

Just got news from my Sales rep that the Icon red (the only red in the first batch) I was expecting to take delivery tomorrow, has been scratched by a visitor to their showroom and would I mind taking the bike as it is, or cancel this one and wait for the next batch (no specific date commitment). Don't know what to do, but I'm really sad and disappointed. :(
Old 7th May 2015, 20:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Just got news from my Sales rep that the Icon red (the only red in the first batch) I was expecting to take delivery tomorrow, has been scratched by a visitor to their showroom and would I mind taking the bike as it is, or cancel this one and wait for the next batch (no specific date commitment). Don't know what to do, but I'm really sad and disappointed. :(
Would advise you to go for the next batch. Heart-aching as it will be, you have spent a lot of your hard earned money on purchasing such a fine motorcycle. You rightly deserve to see it for the first time in that 'fine' way. Time to listen to the mind and not the heart, brother.
Old 7th May 2015, 20:59   #41
BHPian

Isn't north of 8 lakhs a bit too much for a Scrambler?
But yes, as popular opinion goes, this is for people who have a great taste in retro models. And most importantly, someone who's already got a litre class or a cruiser, and looking for a daily ridden motorcycle.
Old 7th May 2015, 21:06   #42
BHPian

Thanks @barcalad for that suggestion, definitely makes a lot of sense.

But in my limited experience with them, I find that things are very causal & fluid at Ducati India, most likely because they are so new here. I don't see any reasons why anything will change & get better by the time the next batch is in.

If my luck is really bad, then a repeat of this cannot be ruled out. So I'm just wondering if I should grit my teeth and accept this bike and avoid Ducati India as far as possible in the future?
Old 7th May 2015, 21:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @barcalad for that suggestion, definitely makes a lot of sense.

But in my limited experience with them, I find that things are very causal & fluid at Ducati India, most likely because they are so new here. I don't see any reasons why anything will change & get better by the time the next batch is in.

If my luck is really bad, then a repeat of this cannot be ruled out. So I'm just wondering if I should grit my teeth and accept this bike and avoid Ducati India as far as possible in the future?
Look. You've made a decision to buy a product from them. I do agree that things were funny with Ducati's earlier expedition in India, but now I feel things are up for a drastic change.

What has happened in your case is completely unacceptable. I'd advise you to meet the manager/senior official and give him a piece of your mind. They should know fear. More than that, they should respect their customers. Arrogance was a major factor in Ducati's downfall in their previous term.

Your luck is all silky, mate. Relax. You'll have to deal with them eventually. Be it for service visits or anything for that matter, you'll have to return to them. The only way they'll serve you better and ensure that such nonsense isn't repeated again is IF they respect you and fear you.
Old 7th May 2015, 21:32   #44
BHPian

My advice, just don't ! 2 things will happen. One, you get a perfect motorcycle next time as they will extra careful. Two, they are more careful about every other bike that comes in for delivery.

What kind of blemish is it ?
Old 7th May 2015, 22:18   #45
BHPian

@Barcalad, thanks. I see where you are coming from. I will at least have a chat with senior management tomorrow and tell them how disappointed I am. Will take it from there.

@Sojogator Yes hoping for that. But the way they are handling the bikes in their supply chain and warehouse I'm not really too confident of that. Apparently in this batch, the truck which was ferrying the box packed bikes from Bombay port to Gurgaon slammed hard on brakes somewhere and damaged a number of yellow Icons.

Mine apparently has a scratch on the petrol tank top panel caused by a visitor to the showroom who sat on the bike and scratched it with their bag (or jacket, not too sure) while getting off it. Not seen the damage in person yet.

Hope to add my riding impressions here soon.
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks