Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 14:01   #16
BHPian

2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 launched @ 9.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Z900 prices revised to 7.68L without accessories.

That leaves an approx 3L on-road price difference between the two.

Correction it is 2.3 lakh. For additional 2.3 you get a full fairing,1 litre bike with riding modes, TCS & much better brakes.

And as far as heard from service engineers, Z900 brakes are pathetic compared to even Z800.

Last edited by Vasuki : 10th July 2017 at 14:11.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 launched @ 9.98 lakh

Quote:
Correction it is 2.3 lakh. For additional 2.3 you get a full fairing,1 litre bike with riding modes, TCS & much better brakes.
I think if you were earlier planning to pick a 650 now z900 can be got at that price. But if you were anyway planning to pick a z900, just forget the additional cost and get the Z1000.

Depends on what you start out in terms of budget and about that extra stretch to get the z1000.

Like i said earlier, if i was after a versys, i would skip it and jump to Z1000. There is nothing like owning that z1000. And thats me.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:33   #18
BHPian

Absolutely mind blowing pricing for a litre class. The bike looks gorgeous as well. Kawasaki is going bonkers with the new launches if Ninja 650, Z650 and now this. Time for them to up their service network which is what matters for these expensive beauties.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Kawa doesn't have the least necessary after-sales/service facilities in place enough for considering a purchase.
Very true.

However, problem is that Kawasaki by themselves are a new entity in the Indian market. But they won't get the leeway a new brand gets in the Indian market because we associate the brand through their Bajaj presence for long.

Suddenly there are a lot of customers who bought these bikes in the Bajaj days, caught either with the lack of network due to less showrooms, or caught up with the spare prices because Kawasaki needs to act like a premium bike maker now to stay on their own feet.

That said -

I would also look at the positive picture. What have they achieved in 3 months since the breakup which happened officially in April 2017.

1. Started service centers and showrooms of their own. I don't know how many cities are covered, but I can attest for the fact that Bangalore showroom and service center has been made operational within these three months.

2. CKD assembly operations started in India via their own plant.

3. Brilliant pricing of the new generation products like the Z650, Ninja 650, Z900 and Ninja 1000. All are looking in very competitive in their segments.

4. Entire lineup refreshed. Versys 650, z1000, Versys 1000, ZX10R all received facelifts and minor tweaks.

5. Has full on approach to the superbike market with all products right from the 650s to the H2.

Isn't that a good start for the first three months?

Scope of further improvement is there. More areas need to be covered. Spares availability need to be smoothened out and service quality needs to be improved as well.

But I think they are off to a fantastic start on their own, for a niche superbike manufacturer. So they might just pull off this herculean task in a few months time.

Quote:
So basically if you go with the mind, rather than the heart, purchasing a Cbr650f would make more technical sense than the Green Goblin brigade.

I think a Honda buyer would any day have a bigger smile on his face some months down the line, after purchase.
But then, like you said. It's your money.

Instead of a proper 1000cc bike with 140 BHP, cornering ABS, IMU, traction control, riding modes,
slipper clutch etc. - If 'happiness' is buying a 86bhp, 650cc machine with Combined ABS for and having a good time with the service technician twice a year, and coming from a manufacturer who shows a half hearted approach to the superbike market at best!

Money can choose the right happiness. A better ride throughout the year. Or a better relationship with service advisor twice a year.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th July 2017 at 15:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Very true.

However, problem is that Kawasaki by themselves are a new entity in the Indian market. But they won't get the leeway a new brand gets in the Indian market because we associate the brand through their Bajaj presence for long.

Suddenly there are a lot of customers who bought these bikes in the Bajaj days, caught either with the lack of network due to less showrooms, or caught up with the spare prices because Kawasaki needs to act like a premium bike maker now to stay on their own feet.

That said -

I would also look at the positive picture. What have they achieved in 3 months since the breakup which happened officially in April 2017.

1. Started service centers and showrooms of their own. I don't know how many cities are covered, but I can attest for the fact that Bangalore showroom and service center has been made operational within these three months.

2. CKD assembly operations started in India via their own plant.

3. Brilliant pricing of the new generation products like the Z650, Ninja 650, Z900 and Ninja 1000. All are looking in very competitive in their segments.

4. Entire lineup refreshed. Versys 650, z1000, Versys 1000, ZX10R all received facelifts and minor tweaks.

5. Has full on approach to the superbike market with all products right from the 650s to the H2.

Isn't that a good start for the first three months?

Scope of further improvement is there. More areas need to be covered. Spares availability need to be smoothened out and service quality needs to be improved as well.

But I think they are off to a fantastic start on their own, for a niche superbike manufacturer. So they might just pull off this herculean task in a few months time.

But then, like you said. It's your money.

Instead of a proper 1000cc bike with 140 BHP, cornering ABS, IMU, traction control, riding modes,
slipper clutch etc. - If 'happiness' is buying a 86bhp, 650cc machine with Combined ABS for and having a good time with the service technician twice a year, and coming from a manufacturer who shows a half hearted approach to the superbike market at best!

Money can choose the right happiness. A better ride throughout the year. Or a better relationship with service advisor twice a year.
Right said! Just one difference though. The Ninja 1000 is SKD while the Z900 is a CBU. The Z900 is from Thailand and the differential trade agreement with Thailand gives it a killer edge in pricing.

Regarding your statement on the Honda, I agree on Honda's withdrawn approach towards superbike sales. Why would they sell a handful of superbikes when they are selling activas and shines by tonnes.

Recently, a friend got the CBR650F during the BS3 phase out and it came at 7.25L here in Pune. However, someone buying the CBR at that price wont really mind upgrading to a Z900 at a slightly higher tag.

What I've heard from Kawasaki is that they will be expanding the dealer and sales network in a lot of cities very soon. The process is on and they have a plan around it.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:53   #21
BHPian

The pricing might make many fence sitters finally fall for one.

-ve experiences at ASS isnt re-assuring though.

That said, the N300 seems grossly overpriced now
Old 10th July 2017, 20:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
You got it wrong mate. It's not about the "better ride" or "relationship with service advisor" . No doubt, the Ninja may be the better ride. I was just trying to stress the importance of a PROPER service facility which can accurately give you the needed service and that too satisfactorily. At present, Kawa cannot give you that. No way. Maybe in the future, but that's an uncertain fact to base a million dollar purchase on, is what I'm saying.

My friends had bad experiences with Kawa. All of them. Comparitively Honda was bliss. You can also check out issues on tbhp. Check how these chaps handled a fried clutch issue on a 9000 km old Versys. Totally pathetic. The issue itself almost had the rider killed due to crashing.

Having said that, I personally believe that having that good backup makes pure sense when the stakes are high. And with a thing as close to your heart as a bike, it should be high priority. Money can buy you any bike in the world. But that's just the start of the story, right? How things are handled later is what it's all about which makes up the whole experience of it. Try asking someone who's stuck high and dry with a snazzy ride and no useful service center. I also think Kawa's need a bit more TLC than Honda's, but that's my opinion.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 22:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

The Saree guard on the Ninja 1000.

Looks like they took the "barbeque grill" feedback on the Versys 650 too seriously.

2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 launched @ 9.98 lakh-img_20170708_160038.jpg

Source

Quote:
Check how these chaps handled a fried clutch issue on a 9000 km old Versys. Totally pathetic. The issue itself almost had the rider killed due to crashing.
My opinions on that are already in that particular thread. Would be nothing but off topic here.

I know atleast HCIL wouldn't have even honoured the warranty itself had they been in place of Kawasaki, with cases documented in the forum itself. Hopefully HMIL is better.
Old 11th July 2017, 12:24   #24
BHPian

Service is important...very important. Honestly it's only HD and Triumph which have realised this as a tool to fight the Jap manufacturers.
Sadly, the Jap manufacturers are seeming to be least bothered to offer the quality of service that these bikes deserve.
Lets see how Kawasaki India sets up their service centers.
Old 11th July 2017, 12:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
The pricing might make many fence sitters finally fall for one.

-ve experiences at ASS isnt re-assuring though.

That said, the N300 seems grossly overpriced now
Tell me about it, i called yesterday to check what is the impact of GST, and they said they are finalizing the price, and it will end up being around 4.5-4.6 lacs OTR bangalore. This, without ABS.

But they have outdone themselves with the price of Ninja 1000, this is going to get them some good numbers.
Old 11th July 2017, 17:44   #26
BHPian

What a superb pricing by kawi on the new N1000. I mean considering the equipment and practicality it carries, the pricing is just insanity !!

Honestly, and no offence to supersport lovers here, at about 12.x OTR the Ninja1000 makes even the ZX10R buyers (at 23-24 lakhs OTR) give it a second thought. Its that good a bike.
narula123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 19:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Z900 prices revised to 7.68L without accessories.

That leaves an approx 3L on-road price difference between the two.
2.3L if we compare the ex-showroom prices in Delhi. That's still a lot for most people. Z900 is super bang for the buck.

Quote:
Well, not to rain on anyone's parade, neither wish to do brand bashing or favouring, but all the fantastic pricing and models aside, Kawa doesn't have the least necessary after-sales/service facilities in place enough for considering a purchase.
Have heard a lot of horror stories of Kawi's after-sales. Since their heart is in the right place, I think things will improve.

Quote:
That said, I think Honda is much much better sorted here with the Wings facility and though they don't have as many superbike models on offer currently, I think a Honda buyer would any day have a bigger smile on his face some months down the line, after purchase.
Heard fantastic stories on maintenance cost and experience for Honda. But I had a horrible experience while buying Honda CBR250R when it was first launched. Many others have shared their anguish on Honda's arrogant attitude even while they are the sellers.

I am thinking very hard if I should pick up the Z900 or the Ninja 1000.
Old 11th July 2017, 20:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Sriram, why not an adv tourer? Are you really just going to use the bike for short runs? No long touring plans? Honestly the only bikes that make sense for india, and indian roads are the plush, high ground clearance, adv tourers.
Old 11th July 2017, 20:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Heard fantastic stories on maintenance cost and experience for Honda. But I had a horrible experience while buying Honda CBR250R when it was first launched. Many others have shared their anguish on Honda's arrogant attitude even while they are the sellers.

I am thinking very hard if I should pick up the Z900 or the Ninja 1000.
Well, the 250R was not a superbike and it doesn't fit a mention in this thread. It's another topic. Honda treats it like the regular "crowd". If you go for the 650f, you get all your service done at different service facilities called 'Honda Wings', just in case you didn't know. This facility is worlds apart in the experience you get. Honda apparently figured that you needed to be segregated from the regular bikes to have special attention for the special machines. Personally I think it's great that they did this, that to in India. Well don't go expecting a spa treatment for yourself too, they're not that good as people tend to expect sometimes, but they're pretty good at what they started. That they're lethargic in dishing out tons of models here is a different story, but they seem to be adamant on doing the best possible for the one they already have. It's a different approach from Kawa.

Speaking about the 900 or the 1000, I think that India is a pretty windy country and bikes with fairings are any day a smarter choice provided you are ok with the extra cost. I always like the protection. I think nakeds, though they are ton of fun to ride, can be really enjoyed only by people who know that they'll use it within city limits and have another faired option parked in the garage for when they want to hit the highway. Which is common abroad. Here, even owning one is a big thing most of the time so why what's wrong with having a faired one and enjoying best of both worlds?
Old 11th July 2017, 21:45   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you go for the 650f, you get all your service done at different service facilities called 'Honda Wings', just in case you didn't know. This facility is worlds apart in the experience you get.

Honda apparently figured that you needed to be segregated from the regular bikes to have special attention for the special machines.

Personally I think it's great that they did this, that to in India. It's a different approach from Kawa.

Sorry, but can't help but point out the bias in this, since are further taking it OT.

Personally you feel it's "great" that Honda (a company that sold 3.3L bikes in the market last month, and probably the most profitable in India currently) set up a separate space for the service for their superbikes. "That too in India" you add - exaggerating the greatness bestowed on our market.

Because "Honda apparently figured that you needed to be segregated from the regular bikes to have special attention".

Whereas Kawasaki is "different" selling 200 - 250 bikes per month and a range entirely focussed on premium bikes. No Activa, Shine, Uniforn, CB Hornets etc to differentiate the space from superbike crowd (and help the dealer survive). But still trying to setup their independant network from zero?

I mean, if you leave aside the brand bias - which one is the more dedicated and hard working approach towards the Indian enthusiast motorcycle market?

A manufacturer selling 3L vehicles and earning huge revenues while throwing bread crumps towards the enthusiasts market (One main product outdated and priced high, only few wings facility, no showroom space), or one that is trying hard to make them have their cake (great product lineup) and eat it too (great prices and independent service facilities) but only been few months in this business?

PS - Triumph, Harley and Benelli deserve a pat on the back as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th July 2017 at 21:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks