Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:22   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Plus with 13 dealerships across India and pathetic sales and service, can Kawasaki really overcome Triumph?
Old story. They have 23 within the network, 10 were announced in October. That's far more than Triumph which has 14 dealers I believe?

As for the bike - I agree that T120 has a real world retro charm. It looks like a retro and sounds like one too.

But it's the Z900RS that looks good to me as a modern classic with just the right design elements and with that inline4 engine - that's just a sweet combination for me. I wouldn't compare it with the T120 as I've mentioned earlier - for its closer in spirit to the Street Twin - but much better against it IMO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd November 2017 at 17:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:34   #92
BANNED

With All the Love for the 900, from the looks perspective, I still love the CB1100 more than this one, thanks to the fins oozing out of the fuel tank, the wide expanse of cylinders is something to die for. Loved them on my drive in Boston.

On the flip side, the handle bars on the 900 are better off than the 1100, it has a more raised up stance on the 1100, whereas it's closer to the body on the 900.

Anything less than 7L Ex-Sh and I am game for it.

Last edited by Torquedo : 2nd November 2017 at 18:35.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:44   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

Anything less than 7L Ex-Sh and I am game for it.
You better wait for used ones to hit the market for 7 all in... I am in the same boat.

7 lakhs ex is what the versys costs more or less. Not happening. Ever.
Old 2nd November 2017, 19:11   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You better wait for used ones to hit the market for 7 all in... I am in the same boat.

7 lakhs ex is what the versys costs more or less. Not happening. Ever.
One, with the Z900 trading in at 7.68 Ex, I really don't think I shall be looking in at the used market for the RS, shouldn't be priced that far apart.

Two, if I can mop up 7L today, might as well wait for a few months to get to 8L, if I fall in love at the sight, might jack up the EMI the very same day.

Three, for a few pennies less, I would not wanna lose the charm and smell of a brand new one.

Four, with the price drops that we have seen @ Kawasaki, you never know the ex might drop below the launch price.

Buying a 2 year used for 6.5L makes little sense to me, when one can wait and afford a new one, in the days/weeks/months to come.
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:56   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
gaaaah, am about to buy a T120. Like in December itself.

Hey Oreen

I believe the retro range from triumph is about to move to CKD with associated price drop. Hope you're shooting that benefit.

Secondly, at least ride the Z900. In my opinion, the triumph twin engines can't be compared to the Kawasaki inline 4. The triple engine is a different matter.

If you like retros and are getting a retro bike with an IL 4 - personally it's a no contest in favour of the IL 4 option. I'm pretty sure pricing will be competitive given current pricing of Z900 as well as the triumph retro range.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd November 2017 at 10:39. Reason: Typos.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:32   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think i will wait to see in flesh before i take a side.
Sure, you can certainly do that. Until then perhaps you can compare any other product with a Triumph and then you will know what i am saying

IMO, Level of product detailing of a Triumph is in another league. Period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Avi - I would compare the Z900RS with the Street Twin rather than the T120. And in that sense - I do agree with you. It's not a pure retro like the T120, but a modern take on the retro design lines - just like the Street Twin.
Why? Because of similar cubic capacity? I was comparing purely on the looks and peformance front. Z900RS looks and performs like a 1200cc T120 and not like the Street Twin and both are meaty to look at unlike the gawky street twin..LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS- I personally like the Street Twin better than the T120.
You got to be kidding. You are the first person I am coming across who thinks a Street Twin is better looking than T120

Ever since Bonneville A3 was discontinued for Street Twin, I was totally dejected with Triumph's move as Street Twin even though maybe a better bike than the Bonneville A3 has zero character and soul that Bonneville is associated with and can never pull the heart strings like the A3 did

Quote:
What's most annoying is that horrible seat height of 32.9 inches for something that looks retro and harks back to the beautiful Honda CB 750. This is a tall bike and will be difficult for people below 5'10" to enjoy. This would have made a lot of sense to me if it were less than 790 mm tall.
Darn! This is news to me as I never looked at the specs of Z900RS till you mentioned above.

835mm seat height for this bike is almost equivalent to the Versys 650 and is ridiculous for this street bike and will remain a challenge for Indian buyers considering our average height is 5.6 range

I just hope it does not look odd with this tall stance

Quote:
gaaaah, am about to buy a T120. Like in December itself.
It's unclear when it will be launched in India. But, if its getting launched anytime soon you will regret buying the T120 without taking a gander at Z900RS. Wait up for launch news before taking the plunge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You better wait for used ones to hit the market for 7 all in... I am in the same boat.7 lakhs ex is what the versys costs more or less. Not happening. Ever.
Come on Kat, Kawasaki is hitting the pricing out of the ground for almost every product and this bike should also be surprisingly reasonable. My guess is it should be either same as the Z900 or marginally higher

And, I agree with Torquedo, smell of a new automobile is bliss (coming from someone who never bought a preowned in his life and probably will never buy one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Didn't you have the ER6N? Atleast test ride the current Z900, the engine characteristic should be closer to the Z900 RS. I have test ridden the old gen Bonneville, there is no comparison, unless ofcourse your requirement is different. Happy shopping.
This comment in bold perked my ears up...LOL! Can you elaborate? I didn't quite get the comparison with Bonnie? Bonneville is better than which bike?

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd November 2017 at 09:37.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:55   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Why? Because of similar cubic capacity? I was comparing purely on the looks and peformance front. Z900RS looks and performs like a 1200cc T120 and not like the Street Twin and both are meaty to look at unlike the gawky street twin..LOL!
No no! Nothing related to the engine capacity. Just the design philosophy. Both are modern iterations of the timeless designs of the past.
Quote:
You got to be kidding. You are the first person I am coming across who thinks a Street Twin is better looking than T120

Ever since Bonneville A3 was discontinued for Street Twin, I was totally dejected with Triumph's move as Street Twin even though maybe a better bike than the Bonneville A3 has zero character and soul that Bonneville is associated with and can never pull the heart strings like the A3 did
T120 feels to me like its trying too hard to look like a classic. Too much of bling and chrome. However, I just went to the site to cross check and they seem to be having a black variant with minimal chrome and yes - that looks nice.

Street Twin looks modern, but minimalist in comparison. T120 black too, as I just realized. But not the normal T120. And that's just me.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Seat height definitely seems like a bother. Optional lower seat simply means less foam and may affect seating comfort. I use a lowering kit on my versys but that means compromise on GC. Versys gives scope to compromise a bit but to begin with, there is not enough on the 900rs. Another Important factor for me is the weight. Any idea on what the 900RS weights? hope its sub 200kg wet.

Coming to classic looks and engine configuration part, its very subjective and would differ for folks. Some swear by IL4 smoothness and exhaust note, it does not appeal to some who like more torque in lower band and hate to keep the revs high and boiling. Some prefer the vibey character of a V twin, some like the symphony of a parallel twin or the massive torque of a boxer. There is one friend who rides a tiger and swears by IL3, and would love to have a modern classic in IL3 config. For me, i have never owned and ridden an IL4 so the Z900RS engine is exciting on that front. Hope there is some concrete news on the bike soon from the Kawi folks followed by test rides.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Any idea on what the 900RS weighs? hope its sub 200kg wet.
Curb weight is 215Kg.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:11   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Seat height definitely seems like a bother. Optional lower seat simply means less foam and may affect seating comfort. I use a lowering kit on my versys but that means compromise on GC. Versys gives scope to compromise a bit but to begin with, there is not enough on the 900rs. Another Important factor for me is the weight. Any idea on what the 900RS weights? hope its sub 200kg wet.
Kerb weight from the specs available on the internet says 215 kg. There seems to be an ergo-fit low seat that lowers the 835mm seat height by 35mm. That should make it more comfortable for shorter riders.

best,
anandpkumar
anandpkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:28   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
Kerb weight from the specs available on the internet says 215 kg. There seems to be an ergo-fit low seat that lowers the 835mm seat height by 35mm. That should make it more comfortable for shorter riders.

best,
anandpkumar
That's what the himalayan sits at i think. Very comfortable at that height.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
This comment in bold perked my ears up...LOL! Can you elaborate? I didn't quite get the comparison with Bonnie? Bonneville is better than which bike?
LOL Abhi, there is no question of which is a better bike, what I meant that the Z900RS and the Bonneville are not comparable, except for the fact that both have a retro design. Oreen probably would love the Bonneville twin, someone else would love the Z900RS IL4. The engines are way too different.
Old 5th November 2017, 10:04   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey Oreen

I believe the retro range from triumph is about to move to CKD with associated price drop.
Is there any confirmation to this effect? Any statement by Triumph India?
How do they get their bikes in India at present, SKD or CBU?
Old 5th November 2017, 10:44   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Is there any confirmation to this effect? Any statement by Triumph India?
How do they get their bikes in India at present, SKD or CBU?
This is confirmed and due in the immediate future (if it has not happened already). Currently it comes as CBU. I am not sure about Bangalore but in Mumbai it means a straight reduction of 8% reduction in the on road price calculated on ex showroom.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

I have never been a fan of Kawasaki bikes, except the decades old Z series bikes which are still popular among riders here in Japan. This, the Z900RS has made me an admirer though.

I always had the CB1100 EX as my next motorcycle in mind, but this has just gone to the top spot (especially after what Honda did to the CB1100's styling with the 2017 model).

Had a chance to click a few pictures yesterday at the Tokyo Motor Show. The custom versions were a treat to the eye, and the attention to detail is really good (something which I honestly find a bit lacking, even in higher-end Kawasaki bikes). It was love at first sight!

Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4699.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4702.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4704.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4706.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4708.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4718.jpg

Especially loved the Doremi Collection edition. Wow!!

Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4711.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4713.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4715.jpg
Kawasaki Z900 RS (W800 replacement), now launched at 16.47 lakhs-img_4716.jpg

PS: Sorry for the not-so-great mobile phone pics. Was multi-tasking while handling a hyper-active 18 month old boy who couldn't get enough of the bikes all around!
Viju is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed