Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 12:58   #436
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

I have my eyes on the Interceptor 650. Though the initial riding experiences from all the reviewers sounds good, I'm just worried about the niggles with the RE. The engine is also relatively new.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:06   #437
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
I have my eyes on the Interceptor 650. Though the initial riding experiences from all the reviewers sounds good, I'm just worried about the niggles with the RE. The engine is also relatively new.
Yep, a lot of us are interested in 650 twins, some will instantly take the plunge and go for it, while others will wait for 6 months to a year for the product to settle in. I jumped and got the first lot C5 when it was launched, had plenty of issues and decided never to buy a new launch from RE again. Will wait for this one to launch and go through actual user testing and take a call a few months later based on the feedback. Am not in desperate need of another bike at present, going for interceptor would only mean satisfying the urge to have a retro styled parallel twin in the garage which is high on torque, which a lot of old bullet and bonnie riders yearn for. Having said that, i feel that with the 650 twins RE would look at improving on their image of launching niggle prone bikes, be it classic or the Himalayan. They have taken enough time to launch this one, and hope have covered all the parameters and checklists. Good luck to them and hope they prove the critics wrong and launch a world-class product with minimum issues.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 10th October 2018 at 12:08.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 19:24   #438
BHPian

Have RE Showrooms started accepting bookings for the RE Twins?

I spoke to a sales person at the RE Singasandra Showroom, Bangalore, and she said that the booking for the RE Twins can be done by making a payment of Rs.5,000.00 and that they were expecting delivery of the bikes in November.

Can the showroom staff accept booking without the company indicating when the bikes would be launched in India?
Old 11th October 2018, 19:44   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Have RE Showrooms started accepting bookings for the RE Twins?

I spoke to a sales person at the RE Singasandra Showroom, Bangalore, and she said that the booking for the RE Twins can be done by making a payment of Rs.5,000.00 and that they were expecting delivery of the bikes in November.

Can the showroom staff accept booking without the company indicating when the bikes would be launched in India?
Really don't think that's correct and I'll think twice before giving a booking amount now.
From the reviews, it was mentioned that bike be launched in November and delivery in January.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:23   #440

I want to comment something on the seating position of the INT650 w.r.t the handlebar reach. I had a Continental GT 535 which I converted to a scrambler setup using a KTM Duke 390 handle bar and 1" risers. No matter how much I tried to tweak the handlebar reach and riser height(1" or 2") the seating position was not at all comfortable. Later I realized that it was the long tank that was making me lean forward to reach the handle bar.

The INT650 has a similar chassis and a shorter tank. However, reports have said that although the handle bar is tall and wide one has to lean a bit forward to reach it. This forward lean works out for city and short rides but it gets very uncomfortable on longer rides. Also, I feel that the suspension setup will be a bit on the harder side since INT650 is heavier than GT535. I wish it had the seating position of the Himalayan where one can sit upright and comfortably reach the handlebar without having to lean forward. Lets hope for the best
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 08:42   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Zigwheels is reporting that the bikes are launching on 14th November.

Link:

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...evealed/32085/
Old 13th October 2018, 10:29   #442
BHPian

Nicely timed to save face at Rider Mania I think.
That's the day of booking opening.
Delivery is still months away, so say the little birds.
Old 13th October 2018, 10:43   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
I wish it had the seating position of the Himalayan where one can sit upright and comfortably reach the handlebar without having to lean forward. Lets hope for the best
It’s not at all a biggie. Just get some pivoting risers and you are all set
Old 15th October 2018, 12:27   #444
Senior - BHPian

Was reading through the article on Evo magazine, where the editor Sirish Chandran had a ride along with RE's CEO Siddhartha Lal (with some stunning images from the ride to boot) The article closes with pricing figures of 2.75 lakhs for the Interceptor - and they sound pretty confident, by not using words like 'expected' or 'speculated'
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 20:59   #445
BHPian

I keep thinking how those slightly rear set foot pegs will fare for long hours in the saddle? It doesn't look like it's the standard upright rider triangle - the foot pegs seem pushed back a wee bit.

In fact, the triangle looks almost identical to the Himalayan's. Personally, it causes the stiffening of my knee joints after an hour or so of riding, and makes me want to keep stretching out my legs as more hours are clocked. Maybe it's just me - but can't help but wonder about this point.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-rei650tbhp.jpg  

rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 11:52   #446
Team-BHP Support

The Europeans seem impressed too -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:34   #447
BHPian

The interceptor has caught my fancy since it's launch last month. I read/watched the reviews from multiple journals since then.
Although I considered the following risk factors, it is hard to resist the temptation.
1. A new product with completely newly engineered engine means probably lesser knowledge of tackling the problems (if any) by the SVC mechanics.
2. Poor build quality and fit and finish. I have seen many RE's on road where the misaligned rear mudguard would be an eyesore even when looked from a long distance.
3. The reviews mention about the suspension being on the firm side. Not sure how it would fare on our Indian roads. (I am used to the plush ride quality of my GS150R for the past 5 years )
4. The seat height being 804mm might be a bit tall for me. I am 5'5''.

I do not want to hear only the praises about the bike but also want to know what might possibly go wrong.

P.S. If I am convinced that nothing major could possibly go wrong, then I would like to book one at the earliest. I think booking can be done only after the launch date has been announced officially.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:47   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post

P.S. If I am convinced that nothing major could possibly go wrong, then I would like to book one at the earliest. I think booking can be done only after the launch date has been announced officially.
One more addition to the list. None of the reviews talk about the heat management from that 648 cc.

Although all the above questions are relevant there may not be a relevant answer to these atleast at the moment.
Only once these specimen are on the road then would real world reviews come out.
The Bigger question would be, Is the enthusiast in you ready to wait?
schitre05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:55   #449
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
I keep thinking how those slightly rear set foot pegs will fare for long hours in the saddle? It doesn't look like it's the standard upright rider triangle - the foot pegs seem pushed back a wee bit.

In fact, the triangle looks almost identical to the Himalayan's. Personally, it causes the stiffening of my knee joints after an hour or so of riding, and makes me want to keep stretching out my legs as more hours are clocked. Maybe it's just me - but can't help but wonder about this point.

The posture look fairly comfortable for long hours in saddle. The torso upwards is very upright. Foot peg position is like any adventure /touring bike which generally allows long hours in saddle. This position is also apt for putting some load on the foot and easily raising the butt when required, or even to stand on pegs. What spoils us is the foot-peg position of the bullets which is forward set and which a lot of us are used to. I guess its a matter of getting used to. Unless we are talking of extremely rear set pegs, visually this looks fine. Infact even tiger explorer and likes have similar posture. worst case scenerio, am sure we will have someone come out with a footpeg extender
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-re.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:59   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
One more addition to the list. None of the reviews talk about the heat management from that 648 cc.
Although all the above questions are relevant there may not be a relevant answer to these atleast at the moment.
Only once these specimen are on the road then would real world reviews come out.
I second that. The actual validation can be done only after it's on our roads for a few months may be.
Regarding the heat management, I think any bigger, multi cylinder engine might dissipate quite an amount of heat to our legs (unless the footpegs are positioned accordingly to avoid that). Correct me if I am wrong. Even Harley's 750 seems to have this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
The Bigger question would be, Is the enthusiast in you ready to wait?
That's something I am trying to fight it out now.
The debate between the heart and the head has started.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks