Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 12:41   #511
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
No way this will cost below 4L or even 5L. People are dreaming if they think it will be below 3L. Why would a twin 650cc bike cost lower than single cylinder 300cc bikes in the market? Wishful thinking at best.
IMO by pricing it close to 5L, RE will literally kill the bike even before it is launched. A 5L ex showroom price + insurance + registration will put it dangerously close to premium petrol hatchbacks.

RE's strategy in the premium segment primarily revolves around their existing user base (the 350/500/Thunderbird owners) upgrading to higher capacity bikes. That will happen only when the cost difference between the two is not substantial (say not more than 1.5 lakhs) . We need to keep in mind that the twins are not targeted merely at biking enthusiasts.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:53   #512

re: Royal Enfield unveils Interceptor & Continental 650 with new twin-cylinder engine. EDIT : Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If RE wants to dig its own grave after investing so much on this bike, yes, they will price it above 4L.
I doubt if that is what they are looking at as they know there is a market in India for this bike if they price it below the others in the same engine size bracket. Add to that , Sid Lal had mentioned that it will be priced in a way that it is affordable to upgrade from a Classic 500 or TB500.

Anyway, in few more hours, we will know. I just hope they don't hike the price down the line when I am ready to buy it.
You are absolutely right that RE cannot price it anything even close to 4L. Because at such a price people will just look elsewhere. Also Sid lal had mentioned that he wants it to be a one step upgrade from a 350 and not a 500cc. So as I have speculated it can be close to 2.85 or even 2.5 as someone just suggested in a post above. This is going to be a sweet deal for sure.
d1vine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 14:10   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
No way this will cost below 4L or even 5L. People are dreaming if they think it will be below 3L. Why would a twin 650cc bike cost lower than single cylinder 300cc bikes in the market? Wishful thinking at best.

I am curious about the engine performance. Hope the niggles are detected and ironed out soon, and a polished version makes its way to the underpowered Himalayan!
I hope RE doesn't dream that they can get-away by pricing it over 4L and expect people to buy this over other machines in the same price range. Agreed, there may not be a retro alternative for this but there are plenty of tourers and sports bikes which offer similar performance levels.

I expect the price to be competitive, with scope for hiking in the future depending on the waiting period
Old 14th November 2018, 15:11   #514
BHPian

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2018-roy...t-ride-review/

Hello Riders,

Odmag review is out here.

Cheers
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 15:25   #515
Senior - BHPian

I doubt this is a 4-5L bike. This is more of a 2.75-3.25L bike in my view no matter what value you attach to nostalgia.

There just isn't such a large market in the 4-5L segment at all. So unless RE is just planning to do lip service to launch it in India and keep it a very niche bike, they aren't going to venture anywhere close to 4 in my view.

I feel they have enough un-utilised capacity to price this well and get some decent numbers i.e. 1-1.5k per month ? The classic 500 sells just a little more.

Though the bike looks extremely desirable, once you get down to the specs, it will be compared with more powerful offerings and may not really hold on its own if priced too high.

Export models will make good profit ( with some expensive bits thrown in ), but the local models with decent volumes will help them get the cost base down for bulk of the bill of materials.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 15:27   #516
Senior - BHPian

Its is (2.5-2.75) Lakhs Ex-Showroom bike. If its above 3 Lakhs, then forget it.
Old 14th November 2018, 16:17   #517
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Received this on a RE group i am a part of from someone who works at RE. But then again, this is whatsapp. would still wait for the official announcement.

So in summation, according to this Continental GT 650 to be priced between 3.18 - 3.41 Lakhs (On Road)
Interceptor 650 to be pried between 2.99 - 3.23 Lakhs (On Road)

The Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental 650. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 2.50 - 2.65 lakhs-index.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th November 2018 at 16:55. Reason: additional info
bsenroy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:28   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post

Cant believe a simple colour change in a few panels can change the price by 20K

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:45   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Cant believe a simple colour change in a few panels can change the price by 20K

Pramod
Am sure it goes beyond a simple color change. Dual colors take more time when compared to the solo color. Guess they have factored in the additional time and labor for this.

Chrome is a different mechanism altogether.

PS: How are your 2strokers ?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:55   #520
Senior - BHPian

INR (2.35 - 2.50) Lakhs. Spot on Pricing.

Makes sure that the customer at least owns an Alto for "Commuting"
Old 14th November 2018, 17:00   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Am sure it goes beyond a simple color change. Dual colors take more time when compared to the solo color. Guess they have factored in the additional time and labor for this.

Chrome is a different mechanism altogether.

PS: How are your 2strokers ?
I was looking at the blue (2nd option), in another group the discussion stated this could be a hand built edition, hence the price.

The 2 strokes are fine , will update the threads soon.

Pramod
Old 14th November 2018, 17:02   #522
BHPian

Pricing Alone Will Knock The Socks Off The Competition

Quote:
Received this on a RE group i am a part of from someone who works at RE. But then again, this is whatsapp. would still wait for the official announcement.

So in summation, according to this Continental GT 650 to be priced between 3.18 - 3.41 Lakhs (On Road)
Interceptor 650 to be pried between 2.99 - 3.23 Lakhs (On Road)

Attachment 1818316
If these are the prices then definitely all 650cc bikes have got serious competition on their hands. Now the hot topic will be the price to cc and not price to performance ratio, which will draw many a prospective customer away from 650cc offerings from other manufacturers.

RE has accurately gauged the prospective customer's inclination to extract the maximum moolah for his buck. Taking a leaf out of Jio's book, RE has presented their offering at almost half the price of similar capacity motorcycles. In a price conscious market like ours, this strategy is sure to pay off. Now Jawa, Kawasaki, Honda, Bajaj-Triumph partnership will have their strategists burning midnight oil to counter this "price assault".

Smart move RE.

What remains to be seen whether the new engine and gearbox are up to speed and if there is some semblance of Quality Control (lack of which is de rigueur in most offerings by RE).

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 17:05   #523
BHPian

2.35 to 2.75 Ex showroom for a 650 twin seems very mouthwatering price point. I am just eagerly waiting for the review. If all looks fine, I might start saving for the Baker Express from now.
Old 14th November 2018, 17:22   #524
Senior - BHPian

Spot-on pricing, now to wait a year to see what issues crop up.
Old 14th November 2018, 17:29   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this is the final official pricing for the twins, then it is a brilliant strategy from RE. There is no competition in this segment in the said price range. Time to check the maturity of my FD and penalty for withdrawal before maturity.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks