Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 18:38   #91
BHPian

Re: 2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltThrower View Post

Touring Question:
Any CBR owners here who've gone with a top case set up? I'm looking at all the usual suspects - Shad, Givi, Hepco and also this: https://www.treknride.com/trek-n-rid...e/pid-93564123

Also, can't seem to find a fitting rack specific to the CBR. Appreciate any and all help : )
If you're looking for only a top rack, Zana makes one for the 650. Picture below.

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-save_20181105_183151.jpeg

I currently use the Givi 1137TE saddlebag support on my bike. Will soon be adding a 1137FZ top rack and an M7 plate. Whether I use a top case or not, I'll use a Duffle bag with bungee on the top rack.

The overall setup will look like this. Picture of a friend's bike.

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-save_20181105_183215.jpeg
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 19:42   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Attachment 1815370

what make saddle stay is this, looks good and strong with the GIVI top case base plate.
Old 5th November 2018, 23:18   #93
BHPian

Quote:
If you're looking for only a top rack, Zana makes one for the 650. Picture below.

Attachment 1815369
Ah this is exactly what I was looking for. thanks a tonne, brother. this begs the question though - what's the difference in max speed and highway reliability when riding with a) a locally manufactured top case set up like the one from Zana and trek'n'ride and b) a givi set up? also going by the price, is shad a worthwhile middle-option?

my brain tells me to wait a bit and go with the givi, completely ignoring the wailing protests coming from the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Can you post the pics of the mod and the sound that you are getting from the slipon. Will be helpful.
I've made some on board videos with the hero6 but the wind noise is off the charts beyond 60 kmph, completely drowning out the exhaust sound. even with the wind noise setting on. will make some videos tomorrow and put them up here.

Last edited by BoltThrower : 5th November 2018 at 23:23.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:51   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the horrendously late reply Bowman, but yes there was misfiring and the GC loss issue turned out to be a deal breaker so I had the whole thing taken down and went with a slip on exhaust instead. Bit of a cut and slash job, this one too. I feel like the valve timing is being affected in addition to loss of pressure. gonna save up and go in for a full system some time in the near future but for now I'm raking in the cheap thrills with that manic inline 4 howlscreech. Can't wait to ride along side that gorgeous F4 of yours.

Touring Question:
Any CBR owners here who've gone with a top case set up? I'm looking at all the usual suspects - Shad, Givi, Hepco and also this: https://www.treknride.com/trek-n-rid...e/pid-93564123

Also, can't seem to find a fitting rack specific to the CBR. Appreciate any and all help : )
Well I did much messing around on my Harley but I have decided to keep my F4i exhaust stock. Once you get into messing with the tailpipes then you end up other bits and pieces which add up to cost. I realized on longish rides that my loud exhaust was becoming a distraction and after a few hours I could not concentrate on the road and my ears could not hear rear traffic at all. A whole day in the saddle was a headache in the end. Something worth considering since you have touring in mind. BTW I did notice complete systems from China on ebay in the range of 200-250 USD shipping included.

Any reasons why you are opting for a top case and not saddlebags?
Old 6th November 2018, 11:22   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Well I did much messing around on my Harley but I have decided to keep my F4i exhaust stock. Once you get into messing with the tailpipes then you end up other bits and pieces which add up to cost. I realized on longish rides that my loud exhaust was becoming a distraction and after a few hours I could not concentrate on the road and my ears could not hear rear traffic at all. A whole day in the saddle was a headache in the end. Something worth considering since you have touring in mind. BTW I did notice complete systems from China on ebay in the range of 200-250 USD shipping included.
I do believe you're right Bowman, I'm going to invest in some quality ear plugs to mitigate the ear fatigue on all day rides as a stop-gap measure. I did see some full systems on aliexpress as well, quite cheap. Fact is, I've grown a *little* apprehensive of my hare brained jugaad schemes so will talk to people much smarter than I before making any decisions.

Quote:
Any reasons why you are opting for a top case and not saddlebags?
The reasons are threefold:
1) I would like to leave the rear seat free of straps or any other encroachments for sake of pillion comfort.

2) Bolted-on hard luggage with a lock is so much more convenient than strapped on soft luggage in my opinion. This is getting very specific but I DO NOT like having to fight through muck and road grime filled straps after a 15 hour ride just to put it on again the next day before riding onward.

3) I travel very light. shaving kit, a couple of changes of clothes, maybe a jacket in the winters. basically what I need luggage space for is shoes (can't walk about in riding boots) and touring related tools like your puncture repair kit etc. A 40L top case I find fits the bill nicely.
Old 6th November 2018, 12:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Ah this is exactly what I was looking for. thanks a tonne, brother. this begs the question though - what's the difference in max speed and highway reliability when riding with a) a locally manufactured top case set up like the one from Zana and trek'n'ride and b) a givi set up? also going by the price, is shad a worthwhile middle-option?

my brain tells me to wait a bit and go with the givi, completely ignoring the wailing protests coming from the pocket.
Irrespective of the brand, top case will compromise handling, no two things about it. Also, you will have to limit top speed to avoid the risk of a top case breaking and falling off. For example, even though the Vstorm comes with an OEM rack and top box, Suzuki recommends a top speed limit of 130kmph. It's similar for all bikes.

Coming to the brand, Shad is definitely well built and value for money. Please do consider it, if you don't want to stretch the budget for Givi. If you manage to get Givi stuff from Carpimoto, Italy or from Amazon Germany and get it hand carried from Germany, you can get the saddlebag support plus rack and top plate for about INR 12-14k.

Quote:
I do believe you're right Bowman, I'm going to invest in some quality ear plugs to mitigate the ear fatigue on all day rides as a stop-gap measure. I did see some full systems on aliexpress as well, quite cheap. Fact is, I've grown a *little* apprehensive of my hare brained jugaad schemes so will talk to people much smarter than I before making any decisions.

The reasons are threefold:
1) I would like to leave the rear seat free of straps or any other encroachments for sake of pillion comfort.
Bro, honestly, from the perspective of longevity and reliability of the engine, please avoid the cheaper options and Jugaads. Save up and get the Akra full system, trust me it's worth every penny. Akra has a wonderful dual nature, it is muted and bassy at lower RPMs and cruising speeds and sounds eargasmic upon twisting the right hand. I have no problems while cruising or when I have to keep it quiet when the cops are around.

Since you intend to retain pillion comfort, I'm sharing pics of the jugaad done on my saddle bag and my wife is very comfortable on it. She's been on the saddle on 750-800 km day rides and one 16 day ride where she was on the saddle for 5000 km. Do have a look.

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20181106wa0053.jpg

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20181106wa0052.jpg

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20181106wa0051.jpg

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20181106wa0050.jpg

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img20181106wa0049.jpg

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-fb_img_1541488090827.jpg
Added_flavor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 15:54   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Irrespective of the brand, top case will compromise handling, no two things about it. Also, you will have to limit top speed to avoid the risk of a top case breaking and falling off. For example, even though the Vstorm comes with an OEM rack and top box, Suzuki recommends a top speed limit of 130kmph. It's similar for all bikes.

Since you intend to retain pillion comfort, I'm sharing pics of the jugaad done on my saddle bag and my wife is very comfortable on it. She's been on the saddle on 750-800 km day rides and one 16 day ride where she was on the saddle for 5000 km
Hmm, 130 top sounds like a deal breaker. If only because that's right in the middle of the CBR's vibration band. That viaterra system you've got going might just do the trick. What kind of speeds do you find comfortable with it? And are the saddle stays part of the package or did you have to get them made? If I remember correctly from your ownership thread, it is the latter.

Quote:
Bro, honestly, from the perspective of longevity and reliability of the engine, please avoid the cheaper options and Jugaads. Save up and get the Akra full system, trust me it's worth every penny. Akra has a wonderful dual nature, it is muted and bassy at lower RPMs and cruising speeds and sounds eargasmic upon twisting the right hand. I have no problems while cruising or when I have to keep it quiet when the cops are around.
After having tinkered with things I'm 100% in agreement with you. Jugaad mods are basically impending death sentences for the machine. No other way to put it. Now to tighten the belt with do wakt ka khana and sasti sharab.
Old 6th November 2018, 17:28   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, 130 top sounds like a deal breaker. If only because that's right in the middle of the CBR's vibration band. That viaterra system you've got going might just do the trick. What kind of speeds do you find comfortable with it? And are the saddle stays part of the package or did you have to get them made? If I remember correctly from your ownership thread, it is the latter.
The bag is a Viaterra Leh with some added cushioning on the part that rests on the rear seat.

The Saddle bag support is Givi. Link
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 21:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

The Shad 3 box setup is your best bet if you plan on month long tour. A guy on 650f forums toured EU with it.
Nithesh_M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 14:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Since you intend to retain pillion comfort, I'm sharing pics of the jugaad done on my saddle bag and my wife is very comfortable on it. She's been on the saddle on 750-800 km day rides and one 16 day ride where she was on the saddle for 5000 km. Do have a look.
Excellent information.

Even I own a 2018 CBR 650F and tour quite a lot with my wife. I was looking for a similar option too. I was thinking of getting something similar done through Thane based Sahyadri Moto.

Could you help me with the exact model of ViaTerra saddle bag you are using? Also the connecting patch that runs across the pillion seat, that looks like a mod, isn't it? Have you added a gel pad or something over there? Can you share some details about it?

Thanks in advance
Old 18th November 2018, 19:27   #101
BHPian

There are a lot of pocket-unfriendly options to mount luggage

Heres my bike.

Givi TE1137 Saddle Supports
Givi 1137FZ Monorack arm
Givi M7 Plate
Givi EA100 soft Saddlebags
Some random duffelbag on top of the tail rack

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img_20180514_095813-1.jpg

And if you are feeling more spendy, here is a friend's bike who runs a full Shad hardcase system
2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20180525-1.57.22-pm.jpeg

Last edited by loki : 18th November 2018 at 19:29.
loki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 13:58   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1815369

I currently use the Givi 1137TE saddlebag support on my bike. Will soon be adding a 1137FZ top rack and an M7 plate. Whether I use a top case or not, I'll use a Duffle bag with bungee on the top rack.

Attachment 1815370
Thanks for this - i was looking for a low cost solution for my Monster. Will contact them and see if they have something for me. Their site does not seem to list anything for my bike.
Old 4th December 2018, 15:15   #103
BHPian

My Honda friends I saw this post on FB and thought I'd share. Just in case anyone is feeling guilty after some chop chop chop

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2475
Size:  417.3 KB

And BTW, there seem to be some good used aftermarket exhausts floating around on FB. You can hunt around there.

Last edited by BowMan : 4th December 2018 at 15:30.
BowMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 15:44   #104
BHPian

Quote:
My Honda friends I saw this post on FB and thought I'd share. Just in case anyone is feeling guilty after some chop chop chop

And BTW, there seem to be some good used aftermarket exhausts floating around on FB. You can hunt around there.

Haha! thanks bowman. I'm thinking about saving up for an akra or similar full system exhaust, gonna regret going back to boring old stock. Haven't had an fb account since 2012, so aliexpress zindabad!
Old 24th December 2018, 13:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Haha! thanks bowman. I'm thinking about saving up for an akra or similar full system exhaust, gonna regret going back to boring old stock. Haven't had an fb account since 2012, so aliexpress zindabad!
I was searching on Aliexpress for what stuff is available there (I must admit it is getting too difficult to resist playing around with my bike's exhaust. I know it will run rich I know it will foul the valves but that sound )

What struck me about this seller was that they are selling products under their own brand, even though it is not well known at the moment. That is a biit off as most Chinese sellers like to pass off their wares as counterfeit. Now they dont have anything for my bike at the moment and I have sent them an inquiry. But they do seem to mape stuff for the 650F.

https://jiamotor.aliexpress.com/stor...d_676271.1_4_2
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks