Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 17:42   #1
BHPian

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review

My first post here and I'm writing with the hope that some may find it useful. Please feel free to suggest corrections and edits, thank you. Especially if you feel there are too many words please let me know, I'll edit out the non-essential bits.

Note: Updated First Service Experience is added at the bottom.

My biking history:
1996 RE STD 350. Bought used in 2008.
2011 Pulsar 220.
2013 KTM Duke 390.
2016 RE Himalayan (sold it in 9 months)
2018 CBR650F (6 days old as on date of writing -14/02/2018)

Intro - This is my first bike with more than one cylinder. I've been riding for ten years now although I learnt to ride motorcycles when I was 11 years old. That was back in 2001. The Hero Honda CBZ and the original round headlight Pulsar were all the rage then. There were, of course, the Fieros and the two stroke RDs, RXs, Samurais, and Shoguns too. All of these were bikes a boy would dream of owning some day. There were also Bullets, the real ones. You had to have mechanical leanings and a devoted motorcyclist lifestyle to own one of those. Very different from the stuff that RE sells these days. There were also the Yezdis and the Jawas, the truest-to-form heritage motorcycles available in the country.

And that was it. This was the thriving biking scene in India back then. I grew up with posters of Ducatis and Bimotas and R6's and CBRs (along with an assortment of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft) on my wall but dreamt only of owning a CBZ or a Pulsar or a Karizma some day. That was the limit of aspirations set by my middle class upbringing. Fast forward to 2018 and I'm finally graduating to the middle of the pack. Alas, gone are the days of motorcycles revving up to 18000 RPM, making that demonic, frantic sound I grew up drooling over. Euro IV norms have killed the golden age of motorcycles, restricting everything that makes motorcycles fun. At least that's the case for the 600cc class motorcycles that I can now somewhat afford.

Choosing the bike: Being on the wrong side of 25 and dangerously close to 30, I decided to put down some money toward a real, actual motorcycle. First I looked at the Benelli 600i, for obvious reasons. It's the cheapest inline-4 in the market and sounds bloody good. I formed a rapport with the salesman at the Pune showroom and took 2 test rides, one of them 3 hours long. After having ridden it in traffic and on the highway I can say this about the test bike - It was unwieldy and its power unusable until you got to 9,000 rpm. And the brakes were shit. Service interval is every 4000 kms even though the engine is from a 2005 Yamaha R6. That's where Benelli recoup the money from you by the way. Your warranty is void if you don't stick to the service interval, each costing about 8000 - 10,000/- I've also heard rumours that DSK has filed for bankruptcy so reliability and parts availability therefore is an issue. At 6.84 Lakh on road Pune, not very a good deal in my opinion. Especially for someone who rides 2000 kms a month on average.

Second, I looked at the Versys 650. It was perfect in all respects. The ergonomics, the touring ability, even the feel and character of the engine. I do not like parallel twin engines, just something off about the way they feel. The Ninja 650 for example, feels vibe-y and shake-y to me, like a Pulsar on steroids and not much else. But the Versys, which has the same engine as the ninja is a different animal altogether. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd say they were two very, VERY different engines. I was blown away by the feel, character, punch, and refinement of the Versys 650. Only problem is I have that inline 3/ inline 4 itch that I must scratch. I feel like the Versys can be the bike I can keep for 20 years after I've got my fill of sporty inline 4s out of my system. At 7.76 Lakh on road Pune, I feel that it is the most bike you can buy for your money.

Third was the CBR650f. I never looked at it as a real option before actually, seriously coming to the market for a middleweight motorcycle to buy. It checks all the right boxes - inline 4 engine, Honda reliability, excellent ownership reviews, alarmingly low maintenance costs, fully faired for highway touring, etc. Before I got into researching this bike I thought of it as over-priced, sedate, boring, and quiet. That prejudice was shattered as I kept on digging into it on the internet. Today, there isn't a youtube video or an article or a forum review on this motorcycle that I haven't watched/read at least once. I test rode it on 3 occasions from 3 dealers in 3 different cities. The stock exhaust leaves a little to be desired but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. In Delhi the difference between the on road price of the CBR650f and the Kawa Z900 is 50,000 or so. In Maharashtra, it is 2.5 Lakh thanks to the weird CBU tax structure here. If I lived in Delhi, I would have been hard pressed to make a decision between these two but Maharashtra state taxes made that decision for me. Also, from all the reviews it seems the CBR is an absolute delight to ride in corners. That part is super important to me.

Lastly, there was the Street Triple. Two of my closest riding buddies have Striples and I've ridden those bikes a lot. It's a brilliant motorcycle but a little too expensive for me and also a little small (I'm 6'4). It isn't the best at touring but not bad at it either. if it was priced within 9 Lakh on road I would've seriously considered it. But as it stands at close to 11 lakh on road Pune, I simply could not afford it.

Buying Experience: After considering all of the above I booked the CBR650F in Millennium Red in Nov 2017. The booking amount was 25000/- and the On road price quoted was Rs. 8.34 Lakh Pune. I had it financed through HDFC at 10% rate of interest. The dealer is Pashankar Auto in Shivajinagar. My experience with them has been very good and the bike was delivered earlier than promised. They waived off the 2500/- handling charges at my request and were nice enough to include the garage cover for the bike. I also bought the seat cowl which cost Rs. 7400/- It changes the entire look and profile of the motorcycle IMO. Honda also offer an extended warranty of 5 years for a modest fee of Rs. 2500. The on-road price of Rs. 8.34 Lakh is inclusive of the same.

Ride Quality: Honda is known for its smoothness and the CBR650F does not disappoint. I rode my friend's Street Triple 250 kms to Pune, picked up the CBR from there and rode back on it. Back to back, the difference between the two comfort-wise, is huge. Not that the street Triple is uncomfortable, mind you, but the Honda is leagues ahead IMO.

The engine feels eager and there is ZERO lurching/snatching even on 6th gear roll-ons. Cruising along on 4th or 5th gear is an absolute delight with the engine purring like a cat content and the feeling is one of drifting along on a cloud. Will update rev-happiness and outright acceleration/response after first servicing.

A well known issue with the outgoing model was the vibrations. I can say that as of right now, before first servicing even, the vibrations have not been bad enough to cause irritation. It exists between the 5 and 6k rpm pocket, and is limited mostly to the foot-pegs and the handlebars with just a teeny bit at the seat. I got used to it within the first hour of riding on the highway, then it is barely noticeable.

Out of the 600 kms done so far, 350 have been on the highway with constant speed variation for engine break-in and the rest has been city and outskirts riding. The indicated mileage according to the on-board computer is highway 20.5-21.5 kmpl and city is 18-19 kmpl which is consistent with online reports and reviews.

Build: The build quality is excellent. The switch gear works perfectly as expected from a Honda and the feel is premium. The position of the horn and indicator is famously reversed. I actually prefer having the indicator down below because I use that way more often than the horn (I have a strict 'no honking unless ABSOLUTELY necessary' policy). The panels sit flush with one another and I have not noticed any ugly gaps so far. The seat is quite wide and gives plenty of room for tucking in for aggressive riding while remaining supportive and comfortable on long rides. The sitting posture is more relaxed than sporty with just a slight forward lean. The tank is wide and its recesses are perfectly sculpted to lock in with your legs.

Tyres: The stock Dunlops do take a while to heat up so hitting the corners first thing in the morning without a proper warm up is not advisable. However once they're hot and ready to go, offer excellent grip on dry tarmac.

Headlights: Full LED. Good enough for a dark road but are largely ineffective against oncoming traffic glare on the highway at night even with the throw set to the max possible setting. The design is such that visibility becomes dangerously abrupt when dipping low into a corner at night. Max visible distance while cruising I would guess to be about ~15 feet ahead of your nose. Could benefit from higher luminosity too. If anyone has stock LED bulb replacement ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Rear-view Mirrors: Good, solid units with large filed of view. No buzzing/vibrations at all so far, and they provide a clear picture of what's behind you. So far they do not seem to fold at high speeds like the ones on the Striple do. Will update if there is any change over time.

Transmission: Gear box is typical Honda. Smooth with no drama, no fuss. The clutch pull is lighter than any other big bike I've ridden.

Suspension: Plush but not overly so. Excellent at absorbing the many bumps and undulations on our roads, even with a pillion. The front does tend to bottom out over big bumps though.

Handling: On-road behaviour is sharp and confident, absolutely rock stable on the highway. Not as nimble as a supersport but quick enough to filter through traffic when needed. Turn radius is surprisingly small.

Brakes: Superb bite and feedback. Confidence inspiring to say the least.

Post First Service Ride: So. Now that the pesky but all important first service is out of the way, here are some thoughts on the bike:

First service cost came to 3400/- will post pic of the invoice below.

Things I like:

1. Acceleration: The power kicks in at around 6-7k rpm at which point the pull is strong and scary. strong and scary is good. Opening the throttle wide at 3-4, or even 5k rpm results in a very manageable surge. But 6k to 11k rpm is where the fun's at.

2. Highway Manners: Pune to Aurangabad is 220 kms with Ahmednagar bang in the middle. The road is a 4 lane highway throughout with the Pune to Ahmednagar stretch being exceptionally good with long straights and wide, sweeping curves. The bike is pretty quick to reach illegal speeds and feels extremely planted once it does so. I was honestly taken aback at its composure at high speed (mods please advise - am I allowed to post illegal speeds here?)

3. Seat and Riding Position: Perfect balance of comfortable and engaging. No back/shoulder/bum/wrist aches after 4 hours in the saddle. Will update longer ride times as they come. The seat as mentioned earlier is wide and supportive and not too forward leaning, very comfortable during city and highway rides alike. The bike's inherent cloud-like smoothness also lends to the lack of soreness usually felt after a while on the road IMO.

4. Looks: This is of course subjective but I can't stress this enough - Pictures just don't do justice to this machine. It has presence in abundance without being overly attention seeking. Best I can describe it as is 'Blink and you miss it' kinda feeling. I Haven't yet seen the black one in person but I imagine it looking like some apparition or a prowling melanistic leopard.

5. Fuel Economy: 17.9 kmpl indicated while riding like a retard with the throttle wide open and giggling manically within the helmet. My Himalayan returned similar fuel economy, but at 90 kmph.

Things I don't like:

1. Headlights: The throw is about 5 feet short of where I need it to be, leading to stress-filled riding at night time. Definitely not looking forward to long highway trips at night.

2. Stock exhaust sound: It's barely a whisper below 6k rpm and beyond that is the typical inline-4 wail. Would like to add just a little bass to fill my head inside the helmet, but it's no priority.

Next up:
0-100/200 kmph times

drags against Street Triple (2015) and Street Triple S (2017)

Just 2 points I'd like to add which I feel are missing from the original post:

1. Feel and Character: As with most bikes, big and small, there is a duality to the CBR's character. What I mean is how machines feel and behave differently when ridden at high rpms as opposed to cruising along in higher gears at the same speeds. With the CBR this difference is very pronounced because of how relaxed and breezy it is when cruising along. Roll-ons from 40 kmph in the 6th gear result in smooth, gentle and linear pulls without even the hint of a snatch, jerk or lurch.

2. Stock exhaust replacement: For those looking to buy the CBR and are thinking of changing the stock exhaust please take note that there is no option for slip-ons. A full system exhaust with header pipes and the works is necessary which will set you back by around 82k (for the akra) plus installation. There are people who will do the jugaadu slip on by cutting those pipes and the cat-con for you but then you have to really trust that person knows what they are doing, not to mention your voided warranty.

Hope this helps. Will post pictures of quotation, invoice and first service bill as soon as I get home from work this evening.

Cheers and happy riding.

Some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-553594e488ca4ed097ec66596910e980.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img_3363.jpg  

2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review-img_3369.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2018 at 17:44. Reason: PM coming up
BoltThrower is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2018 Honda CBR650F : Ownership Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Big Bikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Always nice to see a biker get his ride.

This is one of the better products in the middle weight category. Built from ground up, supremely comfortable , low tech and devoid of any complicated electronics with great everyday usable power.
I rode one sometime back and found the handling agile , clutch smooth, braking more than adequate and that typical big bike feel. I did find the weight on the higher side for the class though but its easy to move past it once one puts some kms under the belt.
Basically a bike for all seasons and one you cannot go wrong with.
As far as the headlights go, you can always upgrade them without much hassles. Enough quality kits available.
Hope you have a joyful time with this. Ride safe ride far.

Last edited by bigron : 23rd February 2018 at 10:04.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Congratulations. Always nice to see a biker get his ride.

This is one of the better products in the middle weight category. Built from ground up, supremely comfortable , low tech and devoid of any complicated electronics with great everyday usable power.
I rode one sometime back and found the handling agile , clutch smooth, braking more than adequate and that typical big bike feel. I did find the weight on the higher side for the class though but its easy to move past it once one puts some kms under the belt.
Basically a bike for all seasons and one you cannot go wrong with.
As far as the headlights go, you can always upgrade them without much hassles. Enough quality kits available.
Hope you have a joyful time with this. Ride safe ride far.
Summed up very well, bigron. Thanks for the wishes and many safe, happy miles to you too
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:50   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Many Congratulations BoltThrower !

The CBR650F is a wonderful do-it-all motorcycle. I was super impressed by its versatility so had booked one last year from Pashankar Honda, Pune.

Somewhere during the waiting period, I told them to hold on to my booking as I wanted to wait for the BS4 650F in new colours, specially loved this red-black Deadpool spec.

But to my utter agony, the Honda guys never followed up. I inquired a few times after the launch of the 650F but no display bikes/no test ride bikes and no response from the dealer left me frustrated. So much so that I finally gave up and started evaluating other options.

Glad that you had a much better experience at Pashankar Honda. The red-black 650F is a beautiful looking motorcycle, saw one recently on display at the Honda stall in Auto Expo. Also, the rear seat cowl looks fabulous.

Congratulations again. Wishing you many happy miles with your 650F. Ride Safe !
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Many Congratulations BoltThrower !

The CBR650F is a wonderful do-it-all motorcycle. I was super impressed by its versatility so had booked one last year from Pashankar Honda, Pune.

Somewhere during the waiting period, I told them to hold on to my booking as I wanted to wait for the BS4 650F in new colours, specially loved this red-black Deadpool spec.

But to my utter agony, the Honda guys never followed up. I inquired a few times after the launch of the 650F but no display bikes/no test ride bikes and no response from the dealer left me frustrated. So much so that I finally gave up and started evaluating other options.

Glad that you had a much better experience at Pashankar Honda. The red-black 650F is a beautiful looking motorcycle, saw one recently on display at the Honda stall in Auto Expo. Also, the rear seat cowl looks fabulous.

Congratulations again. Wishing you many happy miles with your 650F. Ride Safe !
Thanks so much for the wishes, M. The lack of test rides is really quite frustrating. I'm in Pune quite often and would be happy to ride with you if in case you feel that would help you make up your mind about buying the bike.

Cheers and Happy Riding!
BoltThrower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations and Ride Safe.

I've never been a big fan of the CBR650F, mainly thanks to the way it looked (and the price!) - but the 2018 version has surely grown on me and is quite a big step forward as compared to the earlier version. Looks good in both the colours this time around - and Honda has done well not to limit the colour schemes made available.

Price still remains the biggest weakness IMO - but for those looking at a good allround package - CBR650F is a very good choice now! Congrats once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltThrower View Post
1. Headlights: The throw is about 5 feet short of where I need it to be, leading to stress-filled riding at night time. Definitely not looking forward to long highway trips at night.
Couldn't align for better throw?
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congratulations and Ride Safe.

I've never been a big fan of the CBR650F, mainly thanks to the way it looked (and the price!) - but the 2018 version has surely grown on me and is quite a big step forward as compared to the earlier version. Looks good in both the colours this time around - and Honda has done well not to limit the colour schemes made available.

Price still remains the biggest weakness IMO - but for those looking at a good allround package - CBR650F is a very good choice now! Congrats once again.

Couldn't align for better throw?
Thanks a bunch! Price no doubt is its Achilles heel. If I didn't live in Maharashtra this post most likely would have been about the Z900 and the sheer madness of how it puts down its power. Power slides and sideways living, anyone?

But a large factor is also the really low maintenance costs of the Honda. That sort of cushions the hit on the wallet so to speak.

I had the Honda technician fiddle around with the vertical setting of the headlight. It is fairly accessible under the fairing with a long handled screwdriver. We beamed it all the way up but I'm going to try again today and see if there's any room left for adjustment.

Thanks again and Cheers!
BoltThrower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:18   #9
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much for the wishes, M. The lack of test rides is really quite frustrating. I'm in Pune quite often and would be happy to ride with you if in case you feel that would help you make up your mind about buying the bike.

Cheers and Happy Riding!
Do PM me whenever you visit Pune, I would love to ride with you.

I am already in the process of buying a new motorcycle, not considering the CBR650F anymore as for my kind of riding the ground clearance felt a little inadequate.

Now I am only considering the adv segment. Not that I am into hardcore offroading, but I really need something with a good Ground Clearance to hit trails/ruts/snow once in a while.

Last edited by //M : 23rd February 2018 at 16:38.
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:32   #10
BHPian

Congratulations BoltThrower! Beautiful choice of color as well!

Quote:
seat cowl ... changes the entire look and profile of the motorcycle
I completely agree with you on this. The seat cowl looks super cool and the rear looks much composed and neat with this set-up.

Ride Safe!
R-Six
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I am already in the process of buying a new motorcycle, not considering the CBR650F anymore as for my kind of riding the ground clearance felt a little inadequate.

Now I am only considering the adv segment. Not that I am into hardcore offroading, but I really need something with a good Ground Clearance to hit trails/ruts/snow once in a while.
I hear the Suzuki V-strom 650 is on the cards in India. More choices for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Congratulations BoltThrower! Beautiful choice of color as well!

I completely agree with you on this. The seat cowl looks super cool and the rear looks much composed and neat with this set-up.

Ride Safe!
R-Six
Thanks a lot R-six! Think I'll post a picture comparo with the cowl on and off the bike side-by-side to further drive home the point. That little triangle makes a tonne of difference.
BoltThrower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:06   #12
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations brother and welcome to the Club!!

Very well written Ownership log. CBR as a do it all package does make decent sense specifically if you consider long term ownership. I have seen a couple crossing 40K KMs in India without any major issues.

Wish you many happy KMs with her.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hearty Congratulations brother and welcome to the Club!!

Very well written Ownership log. CBR as a do it all package does make decent sense specifically if you consider long term ownership. I have seen a couple crossing 40K KMs in India without any major issues.

Wish you many happy KMs with her.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Thanks a tonne Rachit! Your ownership log was instrumental in my decision. I might have read it front to back 20 times at least. It's an absolute pleasure being able to thank you for taking the time to write down your views and experience. Hope to ride together some day
Old 24th February 2018, 23:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a tonne Rachit! Your ownership log was instrumental in my decision. I might have read it front to back 20 times at least. It's an absolute pleasure being able to thank you for taking the time to write down your views and experience. Hope to ride together some day
Thank you so much for your kind words brother. Yes, whenever you come this side, do let me know.

I have a few updates, just posting on the thread.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Ride Quality[/b]: Honda is known for its smoothness and the CBR650F does not disappoint. I rode my friend's Street Triple 250 kms to Pune, picked up the CBR from there and rode back on it. Back to back, the difference between the two comfort-wise, is huge. Not that the street Triple is uncomfortable, mind you, but the Honda is leagues ahead IMO.
Congratulations BoltThrower on the new purchase!

A very well written detailed review on your perfect pick.

To own a perfect bike for Indian road conditions; satisfying our budget and passion is a little tough.

The price bracket below 10L is a weird playground. Minimal options with here and there compromises are to be welcomed without a choice.

But, IMO, considering a mix bag of touring and cornering; CBR 650F is the real deal in terms of a sports tourer.

Let me or //M know once you're in Pune. We have a riding group named "RAPTORS" wherein we consistently ride every weekend for about 200-300Kms.

Happy munching miles ahead!

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks