Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:29   #91
BHPian

Re: 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmanjeet14 View Post
Hi All, i have recently acquired a 2018 Ninja 650, which has done around 13k kilometre. Since this is my first big bike and a Kawasaki, I have a few queries, and it would be great if existing Kawasaki 650 owners could answer them.

1. What is the good engine oil for the 650. For now I have put Motul 300V full ester oil. Couldn't feel much difference from Motul 7100 though.

2. Sometimes I hear a diminished "phutt" sound from engine. It is almost like spark plug giving a miss, but is very low. I have noticed it mostly during idle. It is not very regular though. Can this be because of low quality fuel ? Please recommend if I should be checking anything else.

3. Once I turn the key to off position, I hear a series of strange noises for a second or so. Is this normal or my battery is weak ?

4. My bike temperature hovers around 4to 5 bars mostly. During city speeds, it's mostly the 5th bar until the fan turns on. Again, is this normal behaviour of a 650, or should I do a coolant flush ?

5. What is typically life of brake pads for a Ninja. From my experience, I think they are good for another 3-4k kilometres.

6. For people based around NCR, is normal fuel good enough or should I feed her premium petrol, or maybe use octane boosters ?

The nearest Kawasaki SVC is 100 kms from my place. Therefore, I intend to do basic maintenance myself. It would be great if forum members can point out any other things I should be looking out for considering the mileage my bike has done.
First off congrats on your bike

I don't know the answers to all your questions but ill try and answer what I can.

1. I asked around and everybody seems to be fine with the Motul 7100 oil and I see no reason to look anywhere else considering its not a very expensive oil at all.

2. Doubtful its the fuel. Since you live in a city I don't think you will be getting terribly bad fuel. Maybe bring this up with the service center next time.

3. When you turn off the bike there are a checks your bike goes through which last maybe 2 seconds somewhat similar to the noises that happen when you turn on the bike. If you could record those noises I will be able to tell you if they are what I experience too. Mostly I think you will be hearing the same noises that usually happen during shut down.

4. 4-5 bars is perfectly fine. Unless its cold my bike usually is on 4 most of the time and once I hit traffic it goes to 5 and stays there. It has never hit 6 even in the most heavy of traffic jams in blistering 40 degree Mumbai heat. And it has never gotten so hot as to fry my legs. If you find the heat unbearable then you may have an issue that needs checking but since it doesn't go to 6 bars you should be fine.

5. Completely depends on your riding style and people have said their pads lasted from anywhere between 10k kms to even 25k kms. Are you noticing any issues when breaking ? If not then yes you can easily ride a few extra kms without issues. If you are changing the pads I would suggest EBC brake pads rather than the more expensive and worse OEM pads.

6. The Kawasaki 650cc parallel twins are low compression engines and work fine with normal fuel. I usually use Speed or Power but its purely for my peace of mind and I have not noticed any difference in the bike when using normal fuel. In my riding group there are many Versys 650 owners who have ridden tens of thousands of kms and they use whatever fuel they get all over India without issues.

I am not a DIY guy but servicing these bikes aren't terribly difficult. Just do your oil and filter changes regularly and keep checking your brake pads and tyres periodically. At 13k kms your tyres should be pretty worn and the stock Dunlops are not known for being good tyres. Another year or so and you may want to check the condition of your chain and sprockets around the 25k kms mark.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:41   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post

I am not a DIY guy but servicing these bikes aren't terribly difficult. Just do your oil and filter changes regularly and keep checking your brake pads and tyres periodically. At 13k kms your tyres should be pretty worn and the stock Dunlops are not known for being good tyres. Another year or so and you may want to check the condition of your chain and sprockets around the 25k kms mark.
Thanks bf1983. Answers from you really help newbies like me.

Yes stock tyres are almost worn now. I recently went on my maiden trip to Himalayan foothills, and grip was pathetic to say the least. I plan to change them soon. Heard a lot about Pirelli Angel GTS, but their price makes my eyes watery.
The fuel quality in my region is a big question mark. I just stick to known fuel stations, but on a recent trip had to fill from an unknown pump. Hence, the concern.
I just checked the manual, and its time to get the spark plugs changed. Will do that, and also throttle body cleanup. Perhaps this should sort out the tinny bit issue I am facing.
Apart from this, the bike is a gem, and I hope it keeps beating the same way for the years to come.
Posting a pic of my beauty

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-my-ninja.jpg
harmanjeet14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 13:19   #93
OmV
BHPian

Hi Harmanjeet,
I own the same bike as yours in the KRT color scheme. It is currently at 31XXX kms.

1. I have consistently used Amsoil Synthetic Metric 10W-40 and I am very happy with it. You may also consider Liquimoly of the same grade as it is slightly cheaper and seems to be on par with Amsoil.

2. I have experience this diminished "phutt" sound from engine. A throttle body sync fixed it.

3. The series of strange noises upon turning the key on or off are normal.

4. 4 to 5 bars in the city is normal. No worries as long as it doesnt hit the top bar (which the bike's cooling system + fan wont allow to happen). If the bike is still running on factory coolant you should consider flushing and replacing with Motul xpertcool or Engine ice or Maxima or other popular brands.

5. Typical life of brake pads depends on your riding style (and that of the previous owner). Do a visual inspection or open up the calipers and check the life. If you do open the calipers do clean and service the pads as well. The process is documented on this forum. My front stock pads lasted me 20k km and rear pads are still stock at 31k km. I would advise getting good brand aftermarket pads as OEM ones are cost prohibitive (although no issues in performance at all).
Same with tires, do check the condition and decide to change. My stock tires Dunlops me 16k km.

6. No octane boosters needed, this bike runs on regular fuel.

I would advise you do make the 100km trip once and have it serviced at the SVC once so you can set a baseline on the condition of the bike. Also you need the throttle body sync. (when you do the TB Sync at the SVC, do make a note of the values they use for future reference).
Since you plan to do the maintenance yourself, do procure all consumables such as oil, filter, air filter etc.

On a side note, I switched the front fork oil to a medium grade 10 W (Stock grade is 5W) and the handling is noticeably superior. I keep the rear suspension to hardest minus 2 clicks.

IF you ride at night you may consider changing the stock bulb to a brighter one or add Aux lights. I have mounted Aux lights on the front stock license plate. Its not pretty but does the job.

Hope you have a great time with your bike, as I do with mine!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-img_9617.jpg  

OmV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 23:17   #94
BHPian

Hi,

I own an Int650. I like the bike and can just about flatfoot it on both legs but I still feel the bike to be top heavy and manourering it is a chore sometimes. So I am looking to replace it with a reliable used N650 that I can nicely flatfoot (790mm vs 805mm saddle height) and enjoy my weekend rides.

I have a couple of queries on a used 2017 Ninja 650 that I am getting

1. I am getting a used but well maintained 2017 Ninja 650 run about 7000 kms for 3.8L in Mumbai. The bike's insurance will run out in 3 months, so that will be an additional 10k. Is this good value for a 4 year old bike even if it is very well maintained?

2. I am a sucker for the green tank that comes with the KRT edition. This bike has a part green faring but the tank is black. Is it possible to get a replacement green tank for the N650? If yes, how much would it cost in India?

Thanks for your inputs
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 00:56   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
2. I am a sucker for the green tank that comes with the KRT edition. This bike has a part green faring but the tank is black. Is it possible to get a replacement green tank for the N650? If yes, how much would it cost in India?

Thanks for your inputs
Kawasaki prices should be through the roof. Why not wrap or paint the tank to your preference? Should be fraction of the cost of a new part from Kawa.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:00   #96
OmV
BHPian

A wrap will definitely be the most economical option.

Or look for a MY2018 N650 that comes with the Lime Green tank. Oh I forgot to mention - my 2018 N650 is for sale!
Do PM me if interested.

Last edited by OmV : 5th June 2021 at 11:07.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 21:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

MY22 Kawasaki Ninja 650 launched, starting at Rs 6.61Lakh.

Available in two colours :

Lime Green

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-20210810_212658.jpg

Pearl robotic white

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-20210810_212700.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th August 2021 at 21:35.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 23:45   #98
BHPian

Well… 2023 is out at about a 50k hike 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-988907028cbb463483c78e213e818f51.jpeg
Old 16th November 2022, 00:32   #99
BHPian

It's sad how completely overpriced this once VFM bike has become. It's a nice bike but for the price its simply not worth the money. Better to spend more and get something much better.

Unfortunately the only really better faired bike is the equally overpriced Honda CBR 650R.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks