Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:27   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The Z900 does have issues with regular fuel usage causing idling and stalling issues which have been documented on this forum.
Both alphadog and krishsreedharan were still using regular fuel only, except that they are sticking to reputed fuel pumps, especially COCO ones. That's not a major limitation - I do my Bangalore - Trivandrum runs and only stop at COCO bunks along the way - they are not hard to find if you plan ahead.

That said - Doesn't the widespread availability of BS6 fuel now change the equation a little bit?

Quote:
BS6 petrol is identical to BS4 in its chemical properties, except the minimum octane number rating for BS6 is the maximum for BS4 - 91 octane.
Source
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Both alphadog and krishsreedharan were still using regular fuel only, except that they are sticking to reputed fuel pumps, especially COCO ones. That's not a major limitation - I do my Bangalore - Trivandrum runs and only stop at COCO bunks along the way - they are not hard to find if you plan ahead.

That said - Doesn't the widespread availability of BS6 fuel now change the equation a little bit?
Yeah CD, that is the issue at hand. Even with regularly fuelling up from reputed pumps, the Z900 still has this issue which needs to be fixed every 6,000 kms at the SVC. I can only imagine how bad things will be if they throw in poor quality fuel on highways.

No such tensions with the 650 platform. I am hopeful that the BS6 shift may alleviate the problem. Incidentally, a friend of mine mentioned that he is using a fuel filter while touring on his Z650. This is the first that I am hearing of someone use such a product. Maybe it will help others as well. This is sold at Bike n Biker.com.
Old 23rd May 2020, 18:47   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looks like Kawasaki had a change of heart post the lock down. Bookings open now, with an ex-showroom price tag of 6.24 lakhs, as against 6.45 announced earlier.
How much of a price difference was there between the N-650 and the Z-650 in BS-4 version?

I believe the '20 Z-650 prices have not been announced yet, have they?
Old 23rd May 2020, 19:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Z900 does have issues with regular fuel usage causing idling and stalling issues which have been documented on this forum. Both alphadog and krishsreedharan who own the Z900 have mentioned this issue in their respective ownership threads. Additionally, the Kawasaki service head in Cochin had told me that throttle body cleaning is the solution to this and it is due to the regular fuel that we get in Kerala.

Link to the post (The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet) on alphadog's thread. Scroll up by a post to see krishsreedharan's experience as well.

That said, I havent heard any issues with the Kawasaki 650 platform having issues with regular fuel.
Interesting - i havent heard this issue from over 50+ Z900 owners in the Bangalore Z group.

PS: The only stalling issue i have heard of is due to low idling rpms - can be easily fixed by the idle rpm setting knob below the fuel tank.

Last edited by ethanhunt123 : 23rd May 2020 at 19:15.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 19:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, a friend of mine mentioned that he is using a fuel filter while touring on his Z650. This is the first that I am hearing of someone use such a product. Maybe it will help others as well. This is sold at Bike n Biker.com.
I have that too. Its helpful only with adulterated fuel, wont prevent the bike from knocking by using fuel thats not rated for the bike.

I found this option a better execution of the above idea:https://www.guglatech.co.za/fuel-filters/

The major issue that affects most of these bikes is the injectors clogging up due to a mixture of not so great fuel as well as the fine carbon muck that gets through the air filter in our lousy conditions. There is no option but to have the injectors cleaned regularly. When i had it done for two versys 650's ,i was stunned by the amount of carbon that can clog those injectors up.

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd May 2020 at 19:26.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How much of a price difference was there between the N-650 and the Z-650 in BS-4 version?

Nope, they haven't announced it yet. The difference was around 50k if I remember right.
Old 24th May 2020, 15:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Yes and no. The difference in weight between the Z900 and the Z650 is barely 20 kgs. You will feel it but not that much either. The older Z800 is a LOT heavier though. 235 kgs vs 189 kgs.

Only advantage parallel twins have over 4 cylinder bikes is if you ride in traffic as the lighter Z650 will outshine a Z900 as the twin has better low end torque. If you don't ride in the city then unless you are constrained by budget a Z900 is much better to get than a Z650. The howl of a 4 cylinder is sweet music while the Z650 sounds like a souped up rickshaw!

I own the Z650 and am very happy with it because its my everyday bike. But if I had another city bike I would have bought a used Z900 instead as the 20 kgs difference isn't much on the highways.
Ok I was actually talking from perspective of my current 300cc motorcycle which is already 172 Kgs ( Kerb Weight ) and I am already finding it difficult to move around without dropping it. I don't think I can manage any more weight than this. So maybe the max I can go for is +20 Kgs. So this would make my bike preferences in the 190-200 Kgs Kerb weight list only.

My current bike is fine for city riding as I find the torque and power more than adequate for me. But it has left me disappointed on the highway when I tried to do a Max speed test run. So this is where I would need a 650cc Super Sport bike as a second bike. The new Ninja 650cc fits the bill perfectly in this regard, cause I think it will have enough oomph on the high way. My requirements are not Rocket fast speed or the love of the inline 4 sound.

I'm a very sedate and boring( relatively safe ) rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
I was interested in the 650 a few years back but not anymore.

On-road prices in Bengaluru as shared by the dealer:

Kawasaki ninja 650 2020 model

Ex showroom- 6,24,000/-
Ltt, registration, RTO charges- 1,47,012/-
B2b insurance-35, 152/-

On road price-8, 06,164/-
I think all your bikes are expensive than other state bikes. The Ninja 650 costs only 7 lakhs here in TN.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 24th May 2020 at 15:29.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 15:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Ok I was actually talking from perspective of my current 300cc motorcycle which is already 172 Kgs ( Kerb Weight ) and I am already finding it difficult to move around without dropping it. I don't think I can manage any more weight than this. So maybe the max I can go for is +20 Kgs.
Get a used striple and be happy for the rest of your life
Old 24th May 2020, 16:18   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok I was actually talking from perspective of my current 300cc motorcycle which is already 172 Kgs ( Kerb Weight ) and I am already finding it difficult to move around without dropping it. I don't think I can manage any more weight than this. So maybe the max I can go for is +20 Kgs. So this would make my bike preferences in the 190-200 Kgs Kerb weight list only.
Where as Ninja 650 will give you a higher top speed the main difference you will feel is with much lesser vibration, but then again the acceleration is linear and as posted above if you are looking for more fun get a used S triple you will be much more happier. One year into Ninja 650 I am already contemplating moving to Panigale.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th May 2020 at 16:45. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 16:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
You own the RR310 right ? If so then yes the performance difference should be worth it. The short times I was on the highway the Z650 gave me all the thrill I could ever want. I took it to good speeds and it still had enough grunt to do a lot more but I am scared of going faster on our roads.

That said the Ninja 650 is hardly a super sport. Its a sports tourer 650cc bike so it has a more relaxed riding position, softer suspension and a very relaxed engine that can run even on less than optimal fuel. A 600cc super sport will be the Yamaha R6 and Kawasaki Zx6r. Those are totally different beasts with very committed riding positions, stiff suspensions and high compression engine that demand only the best high octane fuel.

I had test ridden the Ninja 400 and the performance difference between the two in my 15 kms test ride was very minimal. Maybe test ride that bike too. Its a lot less expensive to maintain than the Ninja 650 though I don't know if they will launch a BS6 avatar of that bike.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th May 2020 at 16:47. Reason: Rule 11.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have that too. Its helpful only with adulterated fuel, wont prevent the bike from knocking by using fuel thats not rated for the bike.

I found this option a better execution of the above idea:https://www.guglatech.co.za/fuel-filters/
That is an important distinction!

Do you know where we can get the Guglatech filter in India?

Quote:

My current bike is fine for city riding as I find the torque and power more than adequate for me. But it has left me disappointed on the highway when I tried to do a Max speed test run. So this is where I would need a 650cc Super Sport bike as a second bike. The new Ninja 650cc fits the bill perfectly in this regard, cause I think it will have enough oomph on the high way. My requirements are not Rocket fast speed or the love of the inline 4 sound.

I'm a very sedate and boring( relatively safe ) rider.
As bf1983 rightly pointed out, the Ninja 650 is not a super sport in the true sense of the term. Its more a sensible, faired, all round bike that you can ride without a worry all day long. The Kawasaki 650 platform is a very good and sensible upgrade to many buyers and gives you a lot of bike for the money. For your stated usage, the 650 makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
If you want a lot more fun that takes you towards the sporty side of motorcycling, go with Red Liner and AtheK's suggestion. You wont regret it at all! Prices of preowned Street Triple 675 motorcycles were in the Rs 5 - 6 L bracket depending on which part of the country you are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
One year into Ninja 650 I am already contemplating moving to Panigale.
Congratulations!
Old 25th May 2020, 13:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is an important distinction!

Do you know where we can get the Guglatech filter in India?

No man, nobody is retailing it in India as yet. It’s a very niche product and is bike specific...tough to maintain stock and inventory across the board.
Old 25th May 2020, 20:13   #43
BANNED

Visordown Review

turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 12:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Nope, they haven't announced it yet. The difference was around 50k if I remember right.
2021 Z650 launched at 5.94 lakhs ex-showroom i.e. with an increase of INR 25,000 over the BSIV version. Well priced IMO

Source:
https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...tures/1970681/
camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 13:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was considering this but I had a few concerns. The only desirable Striple was the RS version with the TFT screen and LED lights, but this has a more committed ergonomics which I dislike due to my bad back.

Plus being a naked, wind blast will be an issue on the highway and I don't think it will be fun riding above 170 kmph I guess.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Where as Ninja 650 will give you a higher top speed the main difference you will feel is with much lesser vibration, but then again the acceleration is linear and as posted above if you are looking for more fun get a used S triple you will be much more happier. One year into Ninja 650 I am already contemplating moving to Panigale.
I have some concerns regarding the Striple, the RS version is what I desire but that has a committed stance which I don't prefer.

Plus being a naked there is the problem of wind blast on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
You own the RR310 right ? If so then yes the performance difference should be worth it. The short times I was on the highway the Z650 gave me all the thrill I could ever want. I took it to good speeds and it still had enough grunt to do a lot more but I am scared of going faster on our roads.

That said the Ninja 650 is hardly a super sport. Its a sports tourer 650cc bike so it has a more relaxed riding position, softer suspension and a very relaxed engine that can run even on less than optimal fuel. A 600cc super sport will be the Yamaha R6 and Kawasaki Zx6r. Those are totally different beasts with very committed riding positions, stiff suspensions and high compression engine that demand only the best high octane fuel.

I had test ridden the Ninja 400 and the performance difference between the two in my 15 kms test ride was very minimal. Maybe test ride that bike too. Its a lot less expensive to maintain than the Ninja 650 though I don't know if they will launch a BS6 avatar of that bike.
Yes you are correct. I actually love the Super Sport looks but not the committed stance it offers. This is exactly the advantage of bikes like RR 310 and Ninja 650, they look Super Sportish but the riders triangle is very comfortable. This is what I love most as it's pleasing to my lower back.and the suspension setup is compliant for our roads.

I don't prefer the committed stance of the Zx6R, so bikes like these are not in consideration. The Honda CBR 650R is less committed than the ZX6R, if I am right about this aspect, then the 650R can also be considered. But I might have to compromise on the weight and that Inline 4's engine heat.

Even I am afraid of going fast on our roads. So I don't think I will miss the crazy top speeds of the Inline 4's considering I have to adjust with all the shortcomings of those bikes.

Quote:

As bf1983 rightly pointed out, the Ninja 650 is not a super sport in the true sense of the term. Its more a sensible, faired, all round bike that you can ride without a worry all day long. The Kawasaki 650 platform is a very good and sensible upgrade to many buyers and gives you a lot of bike for the money. For your stated usage, the 650 makes a lot of sense.

If you want a lot more fun that takes you towards the sporty side of motorcycling, go with Red Liner and AtheK's suggestion. You wont regret it at all! Prices of preowned Street Triple 675 motorcycles were in the Rs 5 - 6 L bracket depending on which part of the country you are in.
This is precisely why I like the Ninja 650. It's just like the RR 310 but with more power. I don't prefer the committed stance of the ZX6R, I prefer more of comfort and a relaxed ride.

I believe the Striple 765 RS can be got for 7-8 Lakhs but it's more committed which I don't prefer. Anyways going the used route is my last option only.

The other consideration would be the Honda CBR 650R or the Ninja 1000. I think brand new only these bikes would meet my requirements.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks