Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 15:18   #406
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

Allow me to crash the brake pad discussion.

I have a couple of updates to share.

The bike has hit 33,000kms on the odo over yesterday's ride.

33 big ones and many more to come.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1.jpeg

The next update is regarding the charging system of the bike and the starter motor condition. Said parts were checked after the new battery fitment. Got a clean bill of health for it from my mech. So now I do not have to worry about the older battery having caused any harm to the said components.

The next update is about the frame sliders. If you remember a few posts back when I had replaced the frame slider that was there on the bike with the LSL frame sliders. But I ran into a problem where I couldn't replace the left side frame slider as the LSL sliders fit along with the OEM engine mount spaces and the current spacer on the left side with which the old sliders were fit was not going to work. Since I did not have the part required with me I placed an order for the same via Yamaha India, Actually I place a complete set of engine bolts and spacers orders with Yamaha so that I can go back to a no frame slider setup too if required. Anyways, as always with Yamaha, I had no idea when the parts would come and with no news of it post weeks I decided to place the order from a website in the US. Well, as luck would have it the parts I wanted were on back order and took about 1.5 months before they received the parts and I got it in hand here in Kerala, but again with the kind of luck I have, a partial number of parts from my order for the same items got delivered by Yamaha India. So no I have a 1.5 set of engine mounting bolts and spacers for the R with me. This is ok, this is just part and parcel of having to maintain and run a vehicle in India which has poor parts support from the manufacturer.

Anyways, back to the topic. I brought the required part for changing the left side frame slider too and that was the spacer.

Part no for this is: 14B-2141R-00

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-0.5.jpeg

Here is a pic of it from the parts diagram, refer to part number 6.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-0.6.png

The old parts were removed and the new spacer along with the LSL slider from the left side was attached. Here are a few pics from the process.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-0.1.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-0.2.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-0.3.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-0.4.jpeg

As for the next update, last Sunday, as in Yesterday went for a short 250ish km ride in and around the outskirts side of Bangalore. This time around fellow Tbhpian Wolfy decided to be our ride guide and he joined us on his beast of a machine the Triumph Speed Triple finished in the beautiful Triumph white and the heavenly Arrow exhausts to top it all up.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-2.jpeg

I had never ridden a speed triple before, have had experience with the complete Steet triple lineup, and man the Speed triple truly dwarfs how fun a bike the Street series is. Well long story short, now I need a Speed triple in my life. All this while I thought having the R1 for the fun sporty riding and having the tiger for everything else is good enough and all it took to break that assumption down was this one ride.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-3.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-4.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-5.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-6.jpeg

If anyone else needs any more proof our fellow bhpian Wolfy here also owns 10R. I hope this gives more context.

Anyways, what an epic Sunday it was, at one point we swapped rides and I did not give him back his speedy until we made it back to Bangalore city limits, but he had a swell of a time with the R1, so I'm sure he didn't mind.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-7.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-8.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-9.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-10.jpeg

Anyways, we were also accompanied by my brother in his Octy VRS and Xaos636 also joined him in the car. In short, it was a Sunday well spent, honestly, I haven't had such a fun time riding in quite a while.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-11.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-12.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-13.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-14.jpeg

The bike, the people, and the roads all together made this one special. I'll let the pics do the talking.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-15.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-16.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-17.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-18.jpeg

Customary ODO and Trip meter pics to end the post.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-19.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20.jpeg

Fin.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:45   #407
Team-BHP Support

Nice weekend update there.

Btw - if you enjoyed this iteration of the Speed Triple you've got to lay your hands on the 2022 iteration. It really has moved the game ahead in leaps and bounds. Aside from a general catch up to 2022 (the last gen didn't even have traction control IIRC) this just feels a bit lighter and less top heavy than the previous generation that was sold here. Looks absolutely dope too.

Test ride one for sure if you've liked it that much.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 18:22   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Btw - if you enjoyed this iteration of the Speed Triple you've got to lay your hands on the 2022 iteration. It really has moved the game ahead in leaps and bounds. Aside from a general catch up to 2022 (the last gen didn't even have traction control IIRC) this just feels a bit lighter and less top heavy than the previous generation that was sold here. Looks absolutely dope too.

Thanks, Axe!

About the new iteration, wolfy told me the same thing. He had done a test ride on the new one and he was mighty impressed. Maybe someday I go to the Triumph showroom here I might try one if they have the TD bikes available.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:11   #409
BHPian

A Sunday to remember,
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20220731_070940.jpg

When Krishna messaged me saying he is going to be in town with the one, we instantly decided to use an upcoming weekend to spend time around motorcycles! Little did I expect a monster of a car would be joining us as well. Bonus Sunday!

Thanks to Krishna, I got my second experience with the hallowed ONE. The first being a 2003 R1 I had rented in Thailand back in 2007. An event I will never forget.

Riding the crossplane was just, mind blowing. The Akras make the Aural experience just SO much better!
With basic electronics, you can only rely on yourself to keep the rubber side down, so you better respect what you are sitting on! I loved that, very similar to my speed but NOTHING like it! I am glad Krishna enjoyed his time on my speedy as much as I did on his One!

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20220731_071044.jpg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20220731_063611.jpg

A small note on the Octy! I have never had a car accompany us on Superbikes and actually keep up! WHAT.A.CAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Hey Axe! I loved the new Speed, although it was a very short test ride in the city. As you rightly said, it is a major update from the model that I own. 1200cc, full suite of electronics, lighter, better brakes, ALL that carbon, keyless this, keyless that etc etc! All of this I loved.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20210902_17280801.jpg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20210902_173024.jpg

My only gripe, actually 2 with the new speed is that at the end of the day it is a super naked. It felt (in my short test ride) that the power comes at higher revs, like a full faired sbk. SO it felt like a top speed monster than a fat torque gorilla. As a naked bike, any extended runs above 130/140kmph gets tiring.

2nd gripe is the price! uff she is pricey! but that is only because i cannot afford one! That is MY gripe, not the bike's fault!

Cheers!

Last edited by wolfy : 2nd August 2022 at 15:36. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
wolfy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:46   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
My only gripe, actually 2 with the new speed is that at the end of the day it is a super naked. It felt (in my short test ride) that the power comes at higher revs, like a full faired sbk. SO it felt like a top speed monster than a fat torque gorilla. As a naked bike, any extended runs above 130/140kmph gets tiring.

2nd gripe is the price! uff she is pricey!
You’re right on both counts. From a 2022 market standpoint, actually its price point is such (23L give or take in MH) that in that territory, the Aprilia Tuono Factory 1100 is just mind glowingly good and makes a more compelling case, notwithstanding Aprilia’s fledgling dealer footprint in India. The Tuono is like a hammer of torque, brutal off the mark and probably a more rewarding bike in many more ways, with the versatility of a street bike but completely at home at the track as well.

The other issue is that while 800 - 900cc nakeds still have a strong market, when it comes to litre class rider preference tend to gravitate towards the super-sports, specially with well priced options like ZX-10R, which undercut these bikes.

Regardless, its an iconic machine, with its own strengths and definitely brings a massive upgrade in every sense to the outgoing version. These bikes will be hard to catch even in the used market unfortunately with their limited sales numbers, kind of like the Tuono in some sense. Hard to land a used one even if one wanted.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:46   #411
BHPian

In this week's episode of Dumb(Xaos636) and Dumber(Yours truly), Xaos636 and I decided it was the perfect time to ride 500 km from Bangalore (where it's raining daily) to our homes in Kerala (where it's raining like there's no tomorrow) on our supersport motorcycles(One bike doesn't have ABS the other doesn't have Traction control) with no rain gear. Recipe for a perfect riding day, what can go wrong?

But wait, we weren't entirely idiots though, we were smart enough to keep our luggage in my brother's car who accompanied us in his Octy VRS. See, I told you, we were intelligent people.

Anyways, jokes aside had a blast of a day on the road and covered around 500 kms in the process. Here are a few pics from the ride.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1.jpeg

Coffee breaks in TN highways just hit different
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-2.jpeg

Just look at the rear ends on those machines!
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-3.jpeg

Xaos636 had to stop to make sure that he saw the sign actually said 100kmph. Well, not really but I thought that'd be a good caption.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-4.jpeg

Striking a pose!
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-5.jpeg

Not gonna lie, these 3 together in formation do grab a lot of eyeballs
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-6.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-7.jpeg

More rain incoming
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-8.jpeg

The truck guy said he can smoke the Fireblade in a straight line, Xaos636 didn't take it well, clearly.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-9.jpeg

Second home.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-10.jpeg

Almost there, the home stretch
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-11.jpeg

Touchdown, Something about vehicles that have all the dirt and grime after a long road trip makes it look so awesome. I just can't get enough of it.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-12.jpeg

Tripmeter for the day
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-13.jpeg

ODO as it stands.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-14.jpeg

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 7th August 2022 at 10:49.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 14:31   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
In this week's episode of Dumb(Xaos636) and Dumber(Yours truly), Xaos636 and I decided it was the perfect time to ride 500 km from Bangalore (where it's raining daily) to our homes in Kerala (where it's raining like there's no tomorrow) on our supersport motorcycles(One bike doesn't have ABS the other doesn't have Traction control) with no rain gear. Recipe for a perfect riding day, what can go wrong?
Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, just love the insanity man, don’t stop the madness. Sure with time, it will get toned down, but still, carry on as long as possible

Keep rocking and taking us all on the highway to heaven!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 16:44   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another familiar bike should be visible in the frame. Can anyone make it out?

Krishna
Well, I did! And I've noticed three, Ivin's Ducati, your M1 along with the white baby R1

Guess I was in Bangalore from July 18 to August 1st, perhaps could have been an opportunity for a catch up after a while.

The return was inundated with overcast and drizzle throughout right from morning, but nonetheless a dirty bike is a good looking is a bike that's put to good use.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1.jpg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-2.jpg

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 7th August 2022 at 16:48.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:32   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, just love the insanity man, don’t stop the madness. Sure with time, it will get toned down, but still, carry on as long as possible

Keep rocking and taking us all on the highway to heaven!

Cheers
As always, thanks for the kind words Cyborg! Hopefully, the madness will only slightly go down over time and not become a fleeting feeling. Let's see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Guess I was in Bangalore from July 18 to August 1st, perhaps could have been an opportunity for a catch up after a while.
Damn! Just miss. Well, I am semi-moved back to Bangalore as of now. So next time you're here do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The return was inundated with overcast and drizzle throughout right from morning, but nonetheless a dirty bike is a good looking is a bike that's put to good use.
So True!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 13:46   #415
BHPian

It has been a bit over a month since I rode the bike since parked it after a Bangalore ride.
The bike had its PUC expired so I just took it out to get it updated 2 weeks back, which is barely a 5kms ride for me.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_6923.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_6924.jpeg

And today took it out for a ride and this time too decided to ride the R1 to Bangalore even though my brother was also coming to Bangalore in his VRS. The itch to ride is real. Anyways, today's ride was just perfect in everyway. Less traffic, good roads, and good weather. Didn't take many pics.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7154.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7155.jpeg
The highlight of today's ride was that the ODO hits 34k.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7156.jpeg

This means it's up for a spark plug change, will get that done this week, along with a few other odd jobs here and there, will try to document as much as possible as this time it won't be a DIY job.

In other news, got the opportunity to ride a brand new Gen 3 Hayabusa yesterday. And boy what a bike it is. I have never ridden any hypertourers before(Busa/14r) and I got the chance to get behind the bars of this beast. Enjoyed it to the core. I have been a long-time Hayabusa fan and the ride actually made me want one now. I mean I guess any bike I ride I feel like I want but yeah.

Anyways, the bike belongs to a very close friend who after years and years of hard work and working towards his goals finally made his dream bike wishes come true. Getting an allocation was far from easy and I was lucky enough to be part of this journey of his and wanted to share that here. And the best part is it a lot of this happened smoothly because of a lot of genuine selfless effort from a few fellow bhpians who did not hesitate a sec to help in any way possible. Special thanks to neil.jericho, kozhissery & TRR from my friend's behalf and mine too!

Leaving you guys with a few pics of the beauty.

All shiny and ready to start its journey on the road.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-fullsizerender.jpeg

The deed has been done.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7130.jpeg

And the drinking session begins too, first of many many more XP95 shots to come.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7134.jpeg

Xaos636 trying on the busa for size. He still maintains he is not a fan of the busa, his face clearly showing us otherwise
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7136.jpeg

Lucky to have been able to ride the beast for a decent amount of kms
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7146.jpeg

Look at that cockpit! Damn!
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7147.jpeg

They say visualize your dreams, now I guess I don't have an excuse.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_7152.jpeg

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 15:03   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In other news, got the opportunity to ride a brand new Gen 3 Hayabusa yesterday. And boy what a bike it is. I have never ridden any hypertourers before(Busa/14r) and I got the chance to get behind the bars of this beast. Enjoyed it to the core. I have been a long-time Hayabusa fan and the ride actually made me want one now. I mean I guess any bike I ride I feel like I want but yeah.
Super to see an update from you Krishna and congratulations to your friend on the realisation of his dream

With your descriptive abilities you cannot hope to be let off with such a short description of your ride with the Hayabusa

Please provide us with proper, detailed feedback of your ride. Every single bit that you recall would be welcome and of course they are different beasts but some sort of comparison with your R1 would be welcome too.

Thanks as always.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 10:42   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Super to see an update from you Krishna and congratulations to your friend on the realisation of his dream

With your descriptive abilities you cannot hope to be let off with such a short description of your ride with the Hayabusa

Please provide us with proper, detailed feedback of your ride. Every single bit that you recall would be welcome and of course they are different beasts but some sort of comparison with your R1 would be welcome too.

Thanks as always.

Cheers
Cyborg you are too kind brother!

Well, even though I got to ride for a good 20ish kms, it was primarily in the single-lane Kerala pothole-ridden roads. I'll have to keep you waiting till I get a chance to ride it for a bit longer.

Right now off the cuff, all I can say is the bike even though is a spaceship for size, once you get on it the size just disappears, my friend has also swapped the OEM seat with the bricks lowered seat which drops the seat height by 1 inch. Which is a lifesaver for people who can't exactly flat foot. Now with riding boots, I can flat foot easily.
Now once you sit on the bike the weight of the bike disappears, it's crazy and feels like some black magic trick or something, and once the bike gets moving which is effortless btw, it's such a peach to ride. That said at slow speeds if you have to break suddenly I can assure you the weight comes back and comes back quickly, yeah, unfortunately, got a taste for that thanks to people who don't look before they turn, luckily being able to flatfoot saved the day.

I rode it in Mode B and it was pretty manageable for me, I guess the brutal throttle response on the r1 has mellowed me down a lot to other bikes, but it pull like a freight train, that's for sure and I did not even exceed the 6k rpm marker.

I'll stop here for now. Will post a direct comparison once i get to spend more time with the beast.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 18:44   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

I apologize to my friend in advance for derailing his mega R1 thread but the real story behind the delivery of this Hayabusa will run into endless paragraphs, if krishnaprasadgg really gets into the details. Its another story for another day, if it ever gets to be told. I cant believe that I am saying this but, after all the drama, the bike feels like it was worth it.

For all the flak that Suzuki received with the launch of the latest generation of the Hayabusa, I will concede that they have made something special. I got to examine it up close and I was floored. This looks and feels like a finely crafted flagship motorcycle that is worth every rupee. Its difficult for me to really get impressed by the build quality of motorcycles these days, even when it comes to superbikes. However, the attention to detail that has gone into the latest Hayabusa cannot be missed.

Quote:
Quote:
Xaos636 trying on the busa for size. He still maintains he is not a fan of the busa, his face clearly showing us otherwise
Let me be the first to welcome you and Xaos636 into the Suzuki family
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 22:47   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
For all the flak that Suzuki received with the launch of the latest generation of the Hayabusa, I will concede that they have made something special. I got to examine it up close and I was floored. This looks and feels like a finely crafted flagship motorcycle that is worth every rupee. Its difficult for me to really get impressed by the build quality of motorcycles these days, even when it comes to superbikes. However, the attention to detail that has gone into the latest Hayabusa cannot be missed.
This feeling of being special is unique to the Gen 3.

There are very few motorcycles that evoke this kind of feeling without even riding them.

It is truly an experience to soak in this machine in person. Suzuki has hit it out of the park.

In my opinion, it feels more special than the (more expensive) flagships of some Europeans.

Do share what was noteworthy about this particular Busa’s purchase experience. Here in Pune, there’s no drama. The Suzuki dealer is faultlessly professional.

Last edited by GoBlue : 19th September 2022 at 22:50.
GoBlue is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 10:49   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I apologize to my friend in advance for derailing his mega R1 thread but the real story behind the delivery of this Hayabusa will run into endless paragraphs, if krishnaprasadgg really gets into the details. Its another story for another day, if it ever gets to be told. I cant believe that I am saying this but, after all the drama, the bike feels like it was worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Do share what was noteworthy about this particular Busa’s purchase experience. Here in Pune, there’s no drama. The Suzuki dealer is faultlessly professional.
Yes, As Neil said, it's a story for another day, and with full details that can go on for pages at the end, the journey was nothing short of hysterically frustrating. Will share the whole ordeal when my friend decides he is ready to put it out there. But as for now, all's well that ends well.

@GoBlue. That's so refreshing to hear tbh.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks