Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 12:44   #271
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Totally agreed on this one!! Just got this upgrade done on my R1 and boy the brakes have totally transformed. You don't even feel you are applying brakes.

Will post my detailed feedback soon.
Rachit
Can't wait for the lengthy posts all the work you have done in between!

---------------------------------------

Yet another pointless post alert from my side !

Coming to think of it now almost all my posts are just becoming posts about new parts that I received for the bike but with the letdown of no actual installation posts. Well, can't do much without being able to ride it to get it installed, owing to the lack of proper tools and an extra set of hands.

Anyways, over this week I was expecting a few more shipments to reach me, but of which only 1 came in. The other shipment(R&G Radiator guard from Customelements) has been delayed about 1 more month and I got to know of this the very last moment only. Apparently, the importer/R&G UK(don't know who messed up) missed out on putting my order in the shipment which had reached mid-July, I don't know how this happens when I had repeatedly asked them if they could include my order too in the required timeline and I was given a positive reply repeatedly too. Well, no point in crying over what's already done.

Custom elements seem to have been just as blindsided to this as I was, and I believe them so giving them the benefit of the doubt here. I have been told that they will get me my order by Aug last week or Sep first week, let's see how things pan out.

Meanwhile what did arrive was a bottle of Loctite for the Frame slider install(now I have everything needed for a proper install, should happen the very next time I ride to Cochin) and lever protectors from Barkbusters.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-d2a85de57d574df58f9e6d9b57a5824c.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-9d1251c2d789423caab56b7bf7a7eb96.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-5a75aad451124a06b95c779ae69c6a66.jpeg

I guess they accidentally sent over their new shipment of stickers too
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-48aba6b748ef4c9fb1108589a5cef2b4.jpeg

Now I wasn't so amped up on getting the brake/clutch protector levers honestly, but with the upcoming MC upgrade the Brembo levers are pretty long and even though they are foldable type, I wanted to make sure that they had some sort of protection to go with it. That is when I was looking at potential options. While most of the lever guards I looked at was priced at levels I was not ready to spend, I remembered that a friend of mine who has a ZX10r (Had ridden it and posted photos of it a few pages back) had the Barkbuster lever guards and they looked and felt good too, enquired with him and they were priced at around 10k for a set(in comparison other brands 1 side guards alone was priced at around 8-10k). While there are not rated for impact protection, I am guessing given the pricing and the way it felt and looked it was an okayish proposition. And it was readily available at bigbadbikes. So I went for it.

But I am not going to lie, once I received it I started having instant buyers remorse. Not that there was anything wrong with the product, but just that it felt like this was the first of mods I have got for the bike which went a bit "ricer-ish"(No offense meant to anyone who is running lever guards!). Maybe it is because of the fact that these are not impact rated, I don't know. So I am kind of in the half mindset to sell these and get one of those proper impact-rated ones(Driven brake lever guards are something that caught my eye and was in my shopping cart for a long time.). Opinions on this are welcome.

Anyways, apart from this finally after about 1 month or so a few of the next functional mod parts have arrived at my friend's place, should be getting them in my hands in about 1-2 months hopefully, depends totally on when Corona decided to launch it's new facelifted variant.

Anyways, one of the parts that have arrived is the CV4 Heat reflective tape.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20210724_144220.jpg

The plan for this is to apply this onto the airbox and the bottom of the fuel tank which would help the intake temps to drop(theoretically) and also hoping it solves the fuel vapor lock issue I have been facing during the summer days. The company claims a 150degree Fahrenheit drop in temps and it comes as 1' x 27" sheet. I have got 4 of these.
I'll attach a screenshot of the product description here.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-screenshot.png

Another item I ordered were the 90degree valve stems for the tyres, this was kind of a convenience-driven purchase as on a weekly basis or before any ride, I make sure that the tyres are filled to the correct pressure and getting to the valves both upfront and in the rear is kind of a task, more so with the front wheel. While doing this on the Tiger is so damn easy as it has 90-degree valves right from Factory(so does all Triumph bikes).

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20210724_144314.jpg

So I decided to get a set anyways. While getting these you need to make sure they fit onto your respective rims, I had done some searching around found the right size(11.3mm) for Yamaha bikes and got it. This shall go on whenever the next tyre change happens.

Then finally got the Techspec tank pads for my brother's Tiger too. They did wonders on the R1 and while I had no issues gripping the bike with my thighs on the Tiger, thought it'd be a good upgrade anyways. Came in around $60.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-20210724_144423.jpg

Last but not the least, remember in the last post when I said

Quote:
Anyways, since no riding is happening, most of the spare time is spent as usual on Bike Parts/Riding gear websites (as usual, some pretty stupid financial decisions have been made).
So yeah, here is that "mistake".

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-arai.jpeg

A few members here already know what it is, so please don't spoil it here.

As with most of my parts, it's temporarily delayed and I will have to wait for a while before I can lay my hands on it so until then it's the stupid waiting game I have to play.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 23:27   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Can't wait for the lengthy posts all the work you have done in between!
Yes bro. An update is on the way
---------------------------------------

Quote:
Opinions on this are welcome.
2 things that have kept me from going for this part even with my utmost desire is:
1) Exorbitant price of the some of the famous brands
2) I am not sure if the cheaper ones have enough weight at the bar ends to act as an effective vibration dampener.

Will wait for your review after install.

I am really interested in that heat wrap treatment too. Do share your feedback on that.

Quote:
So yeah, here is that "mistake".

Cheers
Krishna
Oh boy, this is exciting. I am quite sure you are going to love this and look rocking in it.

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 09:25   #273
BHPian

Quote:

Meanwhile what did arrive was a bottle of Loctite for the Frame slider install(now I have everything needed for a proper install, should happen the very next time I ride to Cochin) and lever protectors from Barkbusters.
Lovely stuff there.

I have a set of those Barkbusters protectors. Had installed this on the bike, minus the screen. Though plastic they are pretty tough. I wasn't paying attention at a signal and the tempo in front stopped suddenly. Though i managed to miss the vehicle in front, i did clip the right handlebar. Luckily the brake protector did as it was supposed to. Saved the lever and my knuckles. Note, i wasn't fast or anything or fell off the bike, but still it was good to have this on the motorcycle.

Congratulations on the Araiiiii !!! They are brilliant.
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 09:51   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Lovely stuff there.
I have a set of those Barkbusters protectors. Had installed this on the bike, minus the screen. Though plastic they are pretty tough. I wasn't paying attention at a signal and the tempo in front stopped suddenly. Though i managed to miss the vehicle in front, i did clip the right handlebar. Luckily the brake protector did as it was supposed to. Saved the lever and my knuckles. Note, i wasn't fast or anything or fell off the bike, but still it was good to have this on the motorcycle.
This is actually confidence-inspiring for me. I went into purchasing it fully knowing it's not impact rated so I am not expecting it to protect the lever in that scenario, with them being folding types it should take care of itself without snapping but with some cosmetic damage which I am ready to live with it and when it happens. The case you just described is primarily what I was aiming at and good to hear positive experience about it.

Quote:
Thanks, Odeen! It's a long-term dream in the making! Always wanted to own an Arai.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 09:55   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Always wanted to own an Arai.
So, are you going to reveal the Arai?

Last edited by no_fear : 4th August 2021 at 09:56.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:52   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Always wanted to own an Arai.
Same same.. When I bought my Nolan in 2011 from Munich I couldn't afford the Arai's that were on sale in that store. Plus the store guy asked me which bike I ride and I had to tell him I have small capacities two stroke and this is for a future big bike purchase

But these Arai and Shoei helmets are worth the cost and plus they are so compact.

Surprisingly, my current cheaper MT helmet works better than the Nolan as it has less wind noise at high speed.. Maybe it has got to do with the thicker visor on the MT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Yeah.. We want to see what is inside the box
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:30   #277
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Yeah.. We want to see what is inside the box

Ah okay. I guess no point in not posting it then.

So here goes.

The Arai RX7V Pedrosa Samurai Spirit. The pics were taken quickly as my friend was in a bit of a rush when the helmet was delivered. I shall post pics again once I get my hands on them.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-2.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-3.jpeg

I actually wanted to go for the Tatsuki Suzuki race replica design, which is by far my favorite of all the designs Arai offers currently, it combines all of my favorite Japanese Tattoo and art culture, but alas it was in Frost/Matt finish which is a deal-breaker for me.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-4.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-5.jpeg

My very next 2 options in consideration were a tough choice between the Pedrosa Samurai Spirit or the Isle of Man 2020 limited edition design. I was looking at 2 websites Motocard and Motoin, while Motocard did not have the IOM in my size and Motoin did not have the Pedrosa Spirit in my size and the black and gold color.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-6.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-7.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-8.jpeg

To my surprise, I found the IOM in my size at an insane killer price at Motoin so I decided to go with it but alas they baited me in by not including the VAT, after adding VAT the price for the IOM was a good 10k more expensive than the Pedrosa Spirit in Black and Gold that Motocard was offering.

So I took the tough but logical choice of going with the Pedrosa livery as paying 10k just for a different paint scheme did not feel worth it. Especially since the Pedrosa design is something I like a lot.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-9.jpeg
So yeah. That's how that came to be. A huge thanks to @deepfreak's patience for the number of times I bothered him with a ton of questions before I made the final call to go ahead with the Arai.
He has the very same helmet with the same design too.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 4th August 2021 at 11:31.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:36   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Pedrosa Spirit in Black and Gold that Motocard was offering.
Congrats on the new acquisition. The samurai decal reminded me of the mobile game Ninja Arashi.

Gold ah, in the end the Mallu love of gold shines through. lol You can deny it, but there is no denying... hahahahah.

Sns will agree with me on this.
no_fear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:54   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new acquisition. The samurai decal reminded me of the mobile game Ninja Arashi.

Gold ah, in the end the Mallu love of gold shines through. lol You can deny it, but there is no denying... hahahahah.

Well, in my defense, It was either this or 10k more for the IOM. Like I said, head won that battle over the heart over 10k delta.

Ah..I don't think even this will convince you though.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:07   #280
BHPian

Quote:
10k delta.
Bro, the amount of mods + $$$ you spent on the R1, I am sure 10k delta is a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

So I am not convinced.. I know the true love for gold shines through.

Ok, now something to ask you, given that the Arai helmets are pricey, when you go for long rides, how will you store it?

Do you carry any helmet bag, or just that cloth bag that comes with Arai. I have been looking at some of the helmet holders that you can clip on to your backpack. But I do not know how good they are, so looking for valuable input.

I got the Arai Ducati 1199 Corse helmet. It's quite a rare one, and my brother found it and kept it with him at Singapore. I haven't had a chance to collect it. Next year perhaps, once things normalize.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img20210508wa0027.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img20210508wa0030.jpeg

Last edited by no_fear : 4th August 2021 at 12:27.
no_fear is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:02   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Gold is in our raktam (bloodd)..

Quote:
Well, in my defense, It was either this or 10k more for the IOM. Like I said, head won that battle over the heart over 10k delta.
Chetta, you should have just listened to your heart on this one.. Plus it has the RED to match the paint scheme on your R1 and most importantly it was a limited IOM edition..

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-2020araiisleofmanttlimitededitioncorsairxmotorcyclehelmetfeatured.jpg

Maybe telling the the brain its just $135 instead of INR10k would have helped

But even the Pedrosa design is a good one..

Last edited by SnS_12 : 4th August 2021 at 13:06.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:24   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Bro, the amount of mods + $$$ you spent on the R1, I am sure 10k delta is a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

So I am not convinced.. I know the true love for gold shines through.
The delta 10k is to go for the rest of the gear updates. But there is no winning chance for me in this I guess.

Quote:
Ok, now something to ask you, given that the Arai helmets are pricey, when you go for long rides, how will you store it?

Do you carry any helmet bag, or just that cloth bag that comes with Arai. I have been looking at some of the helmet holders that you can clip on to your backpack. But I do not know how good they are, so looking for valuable input.
I just make sure to carry it in my hands within the cloth cover. I don't do anything extra. It's a pain for sure but I am not willing to take any risks with this. My nexx xr2(Actually all of my helmets) I do like this and so far have managed to get everyone used without a single scratch on them, well apart from the rubbish AGV K1, the clear coat on them started cracking on its own for no reason within 1 year of buying it

Quote:
I got the Arai Ducati 1199 Corse helmet. It's quite a rare one, and my brother found it and kept it with him at Singapore.
Uff...that's such a beauty to look at.

Quote:

Chetta, you should have just listened to your heart on this one.. Plus it has the RED to match the paint scheme on your R1 and most importantly it was a limited IOM edition..

Maybe telling the the brain its just $135 instead of INR10k would have helped

But even the Pedrosa design is a good one..
Haha! Luckily I love the Pedrosa design just as much. But here is one weird thing. I never like to match the color scheme of helmets and bikes, makes me feel like a power rangers scene(no offense to anyone who does this though!). Again apart from the AGV K1 which was a stop-gap purchase and not really thought out purchase, took the cheapest model they had in the K1 series, Gloss black was out of stock in the entire country at that point.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2021 at 05:35. Reason: More family-friendly word used
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:19   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Arai helmet! That is a classy looking design.

Quote:
But I am not going to lie, once I received it I started having instant buyers remorse. Not that there was anything wrong with the product, but just that it felt like this was the first of mods I have got for the bike which went a bit "ricer-ish"(No offense meant to anyone who is running lever guards!). Maybe it is because of the fact that these are not impact rated, I don't know. So I am kind of in the half mindset to sell these and get one of those proper impact-rated ones(Driven brake lever guards are something that caught my eye and was in my shopping cart for a long time.). Opinions on this are welcome.
Bah! I think youre overthinking it. I too have the same stuff on my Street Triple 675 and bought it ....

Quote:
... for exactly this sort of a situation! Glad that everything turned out well for you Odeen12. These accessories might be called into action just once or twice in their lifetime, but when needed, they work as advertised.

Quote:
My nexx xr2(Actually all of my helmets) I do like this and so far have managed to get everyone used without a single scratch on them, well apart from the rubbish AGV K1, the clear coat on them started cracking on its own for no reason within 1 year of buying it
Unfortunately, this is a well known issue with the AGV K1.

Quote:
I got the Arai Ducati 1199 Corse helmet. It's quite a rare one, and my brother found it and kept it with him at Singapore. I haven't had a chance to collect it. Next year perhaps, once things normalize.
This one is a real looker! Its the first time that I have seen this design. The helmet can be hung as a display piece once you are done riding with it.

Quote:
Quote:
The way that you are discussing gold on the helmet, I thought KP bought something like this!

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2021 at 05:36. Reason: Quoted post edited
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:26   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The way that you are discussing gold on the helmet, I thought KP bought something like this!
Don't give KP ideas, he may do it. That is bling to the power of infinity.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:47   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the new Arai helmet! That is a classy looking design.
Bah! I think youre overthinking it. I too have the same stuff on my Street Triple 675 and bought it ....
Thanks man!
And yeah it's good that I am getting more positive reviews on it. Good to know.

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is a well known issue with the AGV K1.
Yeah. Very poor QC on the AGV lower variants.

Quote:
This one is a real looker! Its the first time that I have seen this design. The helmet can be hung as a display piece once you are done riding with it.
Arai x Ducati designs have always been epic. Though seen very rarely in our neck of the woods. Have heard in US and EU there are these people who are head to toe matched up in the Bike branded gear.

Quote:
What sort of an abomination is that!!!

Quote:
Don't give KP ideas, he may do it. That is bling to the power of infinity.
Sigh! I give up.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks