Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:05   #151
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
P.S - one more way to avoid buyers remorse is to not ride a more comfortable big bike than the one that you already have.
This is so true. I often use to turn down test ride opportunities just so that I don't have to deal with the FOMO feeling. But not to brag but post living with the R1 , almost any other bike I have ridden seems sedate and only gets me FOMOing in the Braking department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
You have a Tiger 800 to ride, so you get to notice the difference between the R1 and the Tiger extremely often. I got the keys to a Tiger 900, and after a day of riding it, I hopped back onto my Street Triple and felt like I was riding a Daytona
Haha...So true. My first ride on the R1 was along with the tiger too. I was so spent after riding the R1 for just 100kms or so and had to swap to the tiger and the difference was so comical.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:39   #152
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspective (besides all the other information) Krishna and Neil! At the end of the day, life is all about perspective, isn’t it?

This is also good for people who think they have finished with riding and have similar/slightly different thoughts like, when am I going to ride the bike, why buy one to just park in the garage and so on.

To summarise your thoughts - at the end of the day, if one can fulfil ones dreams and ambitions without robbing a bank then we should go ahead and do it as we only live once.

Keep riding and sharing folks, ride safe.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:02   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
[b][i]Disclaimer:
Well, that's about the end of the rant.
IF you made it this far then job well done I guess. Not many can sit through my rants and thoughts. Few members here already know that

Cheers
Krishna
Krish! Was waiting for this thread to be updated and walla, some creamy updates. I wouldn't term it as end of honeymoon period, it's just that when excitement settles and reality kicked in, that's what it is. Similar like a saying love is 60 days and the attraction is 30 days in tamil (aasai 60 naal, moaham 30 naal) and I think you're exactly going through that phase.

And it's quite natural isn't it. We're humans, we always love things that make our hearts go wild, and once we get it, there is this strange silence, like what now? That's it? All this drama and that's it. Well, that's what you've entered into now and it's a good thing which means you will appreciate what you have rather than just making dumb moves and keep on jumping and splurging unnecessarily. Enough of philosphy!

Ride her, get used to her uncomfortableness, trust me that's where all the essence of it lies. Good luck! Don't give up yet! You have time!

Quote:
You win some you lose some. And this week I lost.

My Sunday DIY turned out to be a failure.

So If you remember I had mentioned that I have a pretty irritating Neural light malfunction with this bike wherein the bike during relatively operational temperature does not show the neutral sign even when the bike is in neutral but works perfectly fine when the operating temperature is lesser than 80 degrees C.

Something like this
Krish, from my experience of the same thing with a Pulsar, I strongly recommend you replace the sensor suggesting based on my experience. Either the sensor is shorting once a certain temperature is set probably due to extreme engine heat and or the wiring itself is nicked somewhere middle inside the insulation of the sensor switch connecting the main harness connector, is what I can conclude at this point in time.

Secondly, I would also recommend you to get yourself the stator coil just as a spare. These series were notorious for bust stator coil, so just in case you bust one, you have one to replace.

Good luck Krish. Waiting for the caliper update on the CBR. How can we forget the CBR, can we!

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 3rd November 2020 at 01:05.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:29   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
it's just that when excitement settles and reality kicked in, that's what it is. Similar like a saying love is 60 days and the attraction is 30 days in tamil (aasai 60 naal, moaham 30 naal) and I think you're exactly going through that phase.

Ride her, get used to her uncomfortableness, trust me that's where all the essence of it lies. Good luck! Don't give up yet! You have time!
Well, the excitement is still not over. It's very much there, the tingly feeling every time I get on the bike is amazing. Just that guilt of not riding the bike as much was getting to me and I put the blame on myself instead of realizing it's actually not that. Anyways, that's all sorted out and a small piece of encouragement for fellow enthusiasts is why that post went up

Quote:
Either the sensor is shorting once a certain temperature is set probably due to extreme engine heat and or the wiring itself is nicked somewhere middle inside the insulation of the sensor switch connecting the main harness connector, is what I can conclude at this point in time.
That's the other option. Let's see, mostly will be putting in the order for the part this week.

Quote:
Secondly, I would also recommend you to get yourself the stator coil just as a spare. These series were notorious for bust stator coil, so just in case you bust one, you have one to replace.
The starter motor is what usually fails in this era or R1 and FZ1 for some reason. And it's a relatively cheap part and almost always in stock too. I know because I have helped source it for a few friends
But yeah, will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Good luck Krish. Waiting for the caliper update on the CBR. How can we forget the CBR, can we!

Cheers!
VJ
CBR has a very special place in my heart that will never change. That sweet sweet intake sound on the bike still is music to the ears as it was on the first day of riding the CBR. And yes. The thread will be up as soon as the caliper rebuild is done.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:47   #155

Great write-up as usual, Krishna!

Quote:
So If you remember I had mentioned that I have a pretty irritating Neural light malfunction with this bike wherein the bike during relatively operational temperature does not show the neutral sign even when the bike is in neutral but works perfectly fine when the operating temperature is lesser than 80 degrees C.
I remember reading about this in one of your earlier posts and have been meaning to address this. I had the same issue with my bike. HAD

Quote:
So back to the topic. Now that we have full access to the one end of the GPS sensor. Now we have to use a 4mm Allen key/t handle to crack those 2 bolts loose. Even though it is held on with just 4nm of torque it is in there with thread locker from factory and blue threadlocker at that so takes a bit of effort that you'd think to get it cracked open.
With the sensor bolted and in place, when the engine is hot and the neutral light isn't lit up, just press down on the centre of the sensor with your finger (between the 2 bolts, where the wires go in) and see if the light turns on.
This worked for me, so I fashioned a small metal piece (held in place by one of the bolts) that exerts a little pressure at this point and till date I've never seen the neutral light go out again!

This might work for you too and save you some money

Cheers!
Aaron
TurboGTR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:35   #156
Team-BHP Support

Lovely writeup.

I guess blessed are people like me whose dream bikes are comfortable machines too. If budget was no limit (which unfortunately is far from the case ) - I'd like a Z900RS and S1000XR please.

I just don't connect well with other motorcycles.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:14   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGTR View Post
Great write-up as usual, Krishna!
I remember reading about this in one of your earlier posts and have been meaning to address this. I had the same issue with my bike. HAD

With the sensor bolted and in place, when the engine is hot and the neutral light isn't lit up, just press down on the centre of the sensor with your finger (between the 2 bolts, where the wires go in) and see if the light turns on.
This worked for me, so I fashioned a small metal piece (held in place by one of the bolts) that exerts a little pressure at this point and till date I've never seen the neutral light go out again!

Cheers!
Aaron
That's awesome Aaron. I'll be sure to try it out and get back with my findings. If it won't be a bother could you post a pic of the solution you have done? I just want t get a feel of the shape and size of the metal piece used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Lovely writeup.

I guess blessed are people like me whose dream bikes are comfortable machines too. If budget was no limit (which unfortunately is far from the case ) - I'd like a Z900RS and S1000XR please.

I just don't connect well with other motorcycles.
Thanks, mate.
So true about that, people with Adv and Sport tourers as dream bikes are at such an advantage with that.
How I wish a budget wouldn't be an issue. I'd have an ST, the R1, and the Tiger sharing the garage space.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:48   #158
BHPian

So I will say this;

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it. Some things are meant to let go.
Old 4th November 2020, 22:28   #159

Quote:
That's awesome Aaron. I'll be sure to try it out and get back with my findings. If it won't be a bother could you post a pic of the solution you have done? I just want t get a feel of the shape and size of the metal piece used.
The bike is at my mom's place so it may be some time before I can get a photo.
Check out this illustration (the one on the right is the side / section view) on your pic. It should give you a good idea of what sort of piece you could use. Just bolt it at the top and bend the curved portion to exert the required pressure at the centre of the sensor.

Hope this works!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-r1-sensor.jpg  

Old 5th November 2020, 15:28   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGTR View Post
The bike is at my mom's place so it may be some time before I can get a photo.
Check out this illustration (the one on the right is the side / section view) on your pic. It should give you a good idea of what sort of piece you could use. Just bolt it at the top and bend the curved portion to exert the required pressure at the centre of the sensor.

Hope this works!
Thanks a lot, Aaron. I'll try and fabricate one here and see if it works.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 08:43   #161
BHPian

I've had a pretty shitty week, to be honest. So I really wanted to get out of that rut so went out for a short spin again. This time I chose a more reasonable time and route to make sure I can actually enjoy it.
Took her through some twisty back roads but did not push her too hard as the roads are frequented by the locals for morning walks and milk and newspaper guy zipping across the roads all the time, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2090.jpeg

A new experience that I had today was 2 separate people chasing me and flagging me down by frantic waving where I almost thought they were pointing towards something wrong with the bike. But all they wanted was to see the beauty and take a pic.

Maybe the only viewpoint in my neck of the woods
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2091.jpeg

Now I know what and how that feeling goes when you are googling at something which is your dream machine but you are not there yet to realizing it. So I almost always park the bike in a safe way and let them take pics, even allow them to sit on the bike and let them have a few pics. They are usually very happy when it goes like that. The only part I hate is people asking me where I live, that's when it starts getting a bit invasive and creepy and that happened both the time today.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2093.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2094.jpeg

Also on one of such stops today the guy who stopped me kept asking what my social media accounts were, and he kept asking and I told him you won't find me on Facebook and I have a private Instagram account that surprised him for some reason. He wanted to follow the pics of the bike apparently, to which I told him I don't post my pics of my the bike on Instagram and he almost felt offended he couldn't process why I would do/say such a thing and I couldn't understand why doing that was such a thing or even an obligation even.

Maybe the lack of a GoPro mount on my helmet and my bike made him just decide that I was a hopeless cause and didn't push further.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2095.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2097.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2098.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2099.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2101.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2102.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2105.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2107.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2108.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2109.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2110.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2111.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2113.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2114.jpeg

Anyways, this time I made a conscious effort to stop and take pics at some good spot. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

On another note. Another set of parts has arrived. The handlebar grips are pretty much worn out and bar ends have started looking its age. So decided to get a new set. Turn around time was less than a week.

Throttle grip/Tube: 4CB-26240-00 : Rs.550/-

Left side grip: 2C0-26241-00 : Rs.418/-

Bar ends 5PW-26246-10 : Rs.593/-

Total damage comes to around Rs.2154/-

Total expense spent on the bike so far. Recent DIY jobs have helped bring down the ownership cost a bit.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2086.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-cost_so_far.png

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 07:48   #162
BHPian

Early morning DIY's are the best right.
So I wanted to check if the Tipover sensor on the bike works properly or not and I thought what better way to do it than a DIY. It's a very technical but not so time-consuming job and can be done as a one-man job, so it wasn't really a challenge. And yes it works, so that was a success.

Yeah, sometimes my genius scares me too.

Ok now that I got the joke out of my system, I had my first fall on the R1 early morning today. Was en-route to Calicut early morning to meet up with Xaos636 and headed out before dawn, some 20kms in due to poor visibility(R1's headlights and oncoming drivers on HighBeam) & horrendous roads, so I decided to pull in to the opposite side which was a well-lit showroom area.

After it started lighting up I decide to get going and as I was rolling onto the road the front wheel went over a wet rock and the steering went into a complete right side lock and since I can't flat foot the bike it just started buckling and I immediately let go, but unfortunately my foot got pinned under the bike but thankfully I had my trusty long time SMX6 boots took the brunt of it and I was able to pull out my legs easily. and yes the bike immediately cut off thanks to the Tipover sensor.

Rock on which the front tyre slipped
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2138.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2139.jpeg

I then quickly got up made sure I was ok and all extremities were moving well and no pain was there, switched off the ignition key, and pulled out the side stand. This is where I made a mistake, I tried to lift the bike the right way(back against the bike and lift) but since it was on a half road half mud area the bike slipped a bit and ended up twisting my wrist. Luckily a passerby on a milk van stopped and helped me pick the bike up and I thanked them for the help.

Frame slider took the bulk of the force
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2149.jpeg

Moved over to check the damage on the bike, while picking the bike up one of the guys pointed out saying oil is leaking, my heart sunk hearing that I thought maybe the rock hit the oil sump and ruptured, thankfully it was just petrol overflow and no leaks or anything was there. The swingarm spool and the frame slider did its job. The mirror took a bit of scrapping but held in one piece.

Swingarm spool/slider did it's job

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2146.jpeg

Clutch protector case has a slight nick on it

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2143.jpeg

Right side mirror has a good abrasion patch now. But is in one piece luckily, no broken glass
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2145.jpeg

Passenger footpeg holder area. I always keep them folded so the peg did not snap.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2141.jpeg

I immediately called Ivin and told him what happened and let him know that I am going back home, gave myself 5 mins to calm down, and rode back home. This is important because I knew I have a twisted wrist and the pain will set in once the adrenalin settles down so made it home without wasting any time but in a safe manner. And now my wrist is in a good amount of pain, but luckily no swelling.

So yeah, interesting start to the weekend, but no worries about the bike, it's all good. I will be looking into replacing the frame sliders now, it did its job and now can be retired.

On the way back. Enjoyed the ride back with the thought that it could have been much worse. I'll finish the ride once I am sure my wrist is ok.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_2142.jpeg

Riding gears saved me over here, such a heavy bike on your foot or ankle is no joke. The boots took all the impact without squishing my foot between the road/bike. I don't even feel any pain, it's crazy to think about what would have been the case if I hadn't been wearing boots.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 21:04   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Riding gears saved me over here, such a heavy bike on your foot or ankle is no joke. The boots took all the impact without squishing my foot between the road/bike.
Yikes! Get well soon and honestly buy a Tata Ace to carry your bike to and from a race track, just back from a weekend at Kari and thats where your bike needs to be on full song!
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 06:51   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Yikes! Get well soon and honestly buy a Tata Ace to carry your bike to and from a race track, just back from a weekend at Kari and thats where your bike needs to be on full song!
Thanks, deepfreak15. I'm fully recovered from the twisted wrist. In fact, I rode over 300kms the very next day on the Tiger, can't sit comfortably without getting the itch to ride taken care of

So true about the track.

As much as I want to do track, I am out of budget for track gears & track days right now. None of my jackets or riding pants are allowed in MMRT and even at KARI. I need to get everything other than a boot and gloves for the track. Plans are already in motion, just need to see how long before I can get it all done. Until then I'll have to see the rented options and some affordable good track day events.

Also, the irony here is that I dropped the bike at standstill on an uneven surface. My ego took more beating that the crash protectors I think

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:45   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the irony here is that I dropped the bike at standstill on an uneven surface. My ego took more beating that the crash protectors I think
Good thing you're ok. I have dropped 2 bikes at standstill. Once when trying out new riding boots. And the other time when washing the bike. So this shall pass too.

Have fun man. It's a lovely ride.
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks