Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 10:45   #241
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

I'm adding some general things that needs to be considered when looking fr a crossplane R1 from the 09-14 generation. So that it can benefiet everyone:

1.)One of the biggest known issues of this generation is the cam chain tensioner. The 09-14 ones come with hydraulic automatic tensioners, they have a reputation of going bad which causes timing chain slap and the cams can slip a tooth if not rectified. Many owners overseas have changed this to a manual cam-chain tensioner which is provided as an aftermarket product and pretty easy to get your hands on. I think Driven is a brand that makes this and is pretty reputable.

2.)Then is the clutch lurching issue, which's more of an inherent characteristic of the bike and is there for all the 09-14 generation bike. A simple mod for this is available and only needs to be done whenever you decide to put in a fresh set of clutch plates.

3.)Another possible point you need to check is the radiator hoses, they tend to get brittle and develop crack over time. If the bike hasn't been run properly with proper coolant or timely coolant change the chances of it being brittle is more.

4.)Then another big issue is the battery, the stator motor requires high amps for cranking and those projector headlamps drains current from the battery like a leech, if the battery is old then by default it becomes a replacement item and I'd suggest getting a good Li-ion battery will be your saving grace. I am using Shorai Li-ion for my bike and have faced the least amount of issues so far.

5.)Craking at hot engine temp is pretty iffy on this generation crossplanes. I'd suggest waiting a bit and allow the bike to cool down a bit before starting it back.

6.)Stator motor/relay is known to be an intermittent failure point over time. Stator motor relay is pretty inexpensive to replace, some 2k odd only, stator motor, on the other hand, is closer to 20k, it usually fails only if the owners have tried cranking it a bunch on bad/old batteries and repeated cranks have been done. In a nutshell, if they go ham on the self button without realizing what they are doing it can go bad easily.

7.) Brakes, they are bad. Period. A good set of braided lines and better-sintered pads will do you a world of good.

Mods: I though it'd be better to have this as an independent post. Do merge if you think otherwise.

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 22nd June 2021 at 10:47.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:25   #242
Senior - BHPian

I would first start filtering bikes from the available list for Indian Invoice bikes. Clearly remember when the Yamaha showroom was opened in Malad, Mumbai these were going for over 9 lacs officially? And the grey market bikes were retailing at 7 to 8 lacs and one of the guys dealing in the grey bikes told me this specifically that this is why Yamaha will have a tough time selling their bikes and then Karma struck them
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:19   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Now about the specific pics you attached. this bike has been posted for sale in olx for quite a while
Krishna, fantastic deduction mate. I had a vague feeling that I had seen this bike before on OLX but was told that was a different model. Even my older brother saw the bike being touted on FB classifieds. I am not moving ahead. It was good to check with you.

Kudos to the write up for a detailed analysis on what to look for and the troubles for individual models. I believe a thread on what to look for when buying used bikes - in terms of technical specs, parts, etc, is definitely warranted.

Perhaps the mods can post it as a sticky. Owners of specific models can comment on what to look out for and the costs involved. There is one on general servicing, but its more an itemized list with the costs incurred. Or maybe they can be merged into one thread.

I feel there is a current gap between the search for used bikes and the costs involved in fixing these used bikes. This forum is a great place to fill that gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I would first start filtering bikes from the available list for Indian Invoice bikes.
@ Sachin - very tough. The ones posted online are really junk. This is a perennial headache when finding a clean Japanese superbike. NCR region is scam central. The ones in Mumbai and South are clean, but every time I followed up on the posted leads, it was a used dealer or scammer. I use team bhp classified to cross check but there are hardly any classified for Japanese superbikes.

I remember seeing the Malad dealership selling them with the sari guards. Its very interesting how few R1s have sold compared to Kawasaki and Suzuki. I wonder if the pricing was the issue, or people were not happy with Yamaha's lack of focus in the market.

Last edited by no_fear : 22nd June 2021 at 12:27.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:13   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I remember seeing the Malad dealership selling them with the sari guards. Its very interesting how few R1s have sold compared to Kawasaki and Suzuki. I wonder if the pricing was the issue, or people were not happy with Yamaha's lack of focus in the market.
Pricing cannot be an issue back then as people were spending similar kind of money on grey market bike, but there they had a kind off buy back scheme and could have a new one every few months. Also, these bikes are still holding their value even after a decade when they were sold new at the same price point.

Yamaha's focus in India is pathetic to say the least. The top management could have easily did things if they wished too to be at the levels at which Honda India (two wheeler) is at today.

The R1 in the Malad Factory dealership did at best at attracting crowds to buy the R15 and FZ back in the day. In my numerous visit I never saw a customer who was present to buy an R1 and I feel the dealership came in before its time or maybe they should have added more to the big bike portfolio then just offer the R1.

A factory dealership like that in the current times with a variety of products from their international portfolio at the right pricing can do wonders for the brand in selling products across the portfolio.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:25   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Yamaha's focus in India is pathetic to say the least. The top management could have easily did things if they wished too to be at the levels at which Honda India (two wheeler) is at today.
I don't think Yamaha India was even bothered. Apart from the gentleman who lobbied to get the R1 in India, I forget his name but it was a big deal back then.

The amount of running around you have to do for aftersales support is nothing but a joke.

So something I learned recently was that in Kerala PSN Yamaha in Cochin were the sole dealership that dealt in Yamaha superbikes in Kerala. That is where my bike rolled out off. Recently I got to know that they had shut shop a few years back and that basically leaves Kerala in a state where there is no official support from Yamaha for any of the MT/FZ/R series big bike owners.

Yamaha instead invested in putting out multiple different varients of R15 and FZ and a few set of plotter machines so they can put out new stickers every years and call them limited editions

If we go down the road of "what could have been if only" then that discussion will never end.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:18   #246
BHPian

@ Krishna

Today is one of those days when nothing is happening. So I decided to be constructive and spent the whole morning reading your entire thread from start to finish.

A couple of thoughts since you are a DIY guy and I love the pics and write ups you have produced. Quite epic content.

Would you consider getting a Bursig stand in future for doing work on the bike. They are pricey but really help out if you want to work by yourself, especially in the hard to reach places. With age (even though I am fit and in my mid 30s), I find it very hard to bend down or squat and work.

Did you replace your right fairings under insurance or you will get the PPF treatment done to get rid of the scratches.

I am doing a bit of DIY maintenance on my F4 and 1198. Changed the air filters, cleaned the throttle bodies. Not that I ride much, compared to you, but my filters and TB was quite clean. Sachin (Sns_12) raised a very good point in a previous post. Check your air filter fitment. I think it's not fitting correctly as a result you are having more carbon build up than usual. This is pure conjecture, but something to look into.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:07   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Sigh, even my bikes were doing the idle -for-10-to-15-minutes routine all through May and part of June. Hopefully we have better days ahead of us. The OEM battery on my Triumph is on its last legs. It is close to 7 years old. Despite my infrequent usage, the Yuvasa battery has soldiered on for so long. Phenomenal quality.

Quote:
The occasional OLX searches too, I'm sure Xasos636 and neil.jericho can attest to that.
Since my wife doesnt read the forum, I can safely agree to that!

Quote:
I am interested to get one, and I saw an out of state model, which looked decent, but has the TOCE rear end pipes. Seems clean but the owner didn't reveal asking price. The ones in NCR region are in really bad shape, yet people keep asking for prices like 5 - 9 lacs for the 2007 - 2009 models.

I know its not much to go from just looking at pics, but before I even begin to follow up with owner, since hes out of state and travel is not on the cards, your expert opinion matters.
Since the start of the Covid pandemic, I have done quite a bit of browsing through the pre-owned superbikes that came up for sale. I even went and saw a couple of them and did quite a bit of research on the costs involved with bringing them back to factory specifications. I should list them out and put it up here. Unfortunately it does not answer your question specifically to the R1, but I am sure it will help others who are interested in buying a big bike and are trying to make a Go - No go decision.

Quote:
Today is one of those days when nothing is happening. So I decided to be constructive and spent the whole morning reading your entire thread from start to finish.
.... meanwhile all of us are patiently waiting for your MV threads!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:14   #248
BHPian

Quote:
@ Krishna

A couple of thoughts since you are a DIY guy and I love the pics and write ups you have produced. Quite epic content.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Would you consider getting a Bursig stand in future for doing work on the bike. They are pricey but really help out if you want to work by yourself, especially in the hard to reach places. With age (even though I am fit and in my mid 30s), I find it very hard to bend down or squat and work.
I am a bit skeptical about that kind of stand. I watch an epic channel called LambChopRides(He has a complete racebike build on yesteryear Fireblade with the newer gen Engine swap) on youtube and he uses the Abba Stand which is very similar in the way they work and he happened to drop his H2 while working on it. I have been looking into proper motorcycle lifts, there are decent ones for 10-12k (manual), trying to find the weight capacity and also vendors are a pain. But yeah, a proper lift is I think within a 3-4 year plan. Until then the ground is always there.

Quote:
Did you replace your right fairings under insurance or you will get the PPF treatment done to get rid of the scratches.
Not yet, but I will be getting a new set of panels soon, everything other than the tank. There are considerably eye sore scars on the great tail panel and the headlight cowl on the right side, from when the previous owner had the bike dropped and also the right side fairing which happened from my side. I am planning on getting the claim on it, but need to work on a plan for it. If at all that happens(fairing change) I will get it properly detailed and protect it with PPF. Even though it will be expensive the thing is I am super lazy when it comes to washing my bikes and having ppf will be such a relief.

Quote:
I am doing a bit of DIY maintenance on my F4 and 1198. Changed the air filters, cleaned the throttle bodies. Not that I ride much, compared to you, but my filters and TB was quite clean. Sachin (Sns_12) raised a very good point in a previous post. Check your air filter fitment. I think it's not fitting correctly as a result you are having more carbon build up than usual. This is pure conjecture, but something to look into.
Bingo. That has been bothering me too since Sachin brought it up. I do have BMC air filter in my shopping cart too. . Waiting for funs to replenish to place the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Sigh, even my bikes were doing the idle -for-10-to-15-minutes routine all through May and part of June. Hopefully we have better days ahead of us. The OEM battery on my Triumph is on its last legs. It is close to 7 years old. Despite my infrequent usage, the Yuvasa battery has soldiered on for so long. Phenomenal quality.
That is such a great stint for any stock battery. Damn..and to think my brother Tigers Yuvasa did not last 1 week post-delivery.

Quote:
Since my wife doesnt read the forum, I can safely agree to that!

Quote:
The pressure is building up @no_fear

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:03   #249
BHPian

Quote:
The pressure is building up @no_fear
Quote:
I should list them out and put it up here.
@ Krishna, Neil - Me and my big mouth. Krishna messaged me today morning and I was a bit fuddled on who it was. Took me a while to figure out its Mr. R1 himself.

I was dithering around and drafting my 1199R thread. I will put that on hold and make one for the F4. Should be fun. I realized it will also be the first official ride review of the F4RR in India. That bike was not given to the media. So this will actually be an unique Team-BHP achievement.

Last edited by no_fear : 23rd June 2021 at 13:04.
no_fear is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:05   #250
BHPian

Quote:
I even went and saw a couple of them and did quite a bit of research on the costs involved with bringing them back to factory specifications. I should list them out and put it up here.
@ Neil

Would you mind sharing what you found out. That will be a big help to all of us. Sorry to hijack Krishna's thread. I am sure he won't mind.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this will actually be an unique Team-BHP achievement.
While the boys are building up the pressure for individual threads on the Italians in your garage let me add a little more by requesting for crisp images to compliment the ownership threads.

Maybe Rohan (RohanDheman) can help you get some good shots of the bikes.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 23:14   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Makes sense, I think I'll stick to the FA442 then. Trackdays are in the plan but I don't think it's going to happen soon. Need to have a separate fund planning for that. I hear it gets expensive quickly.
Cheers
Krishna
If I can prod you with a stick, I definitely will Krish. Try allocating a separate "fun fund" for a track day. A track day can immensely attune yourself more to the bike, it's true potency and sense of lunacy. A few upgrades such as a better FS brake pad and better quality brake fluid for the track are recommended.

The upgrades you've carried forward and the way the bike is prepped for definitely warrants a "return of favor" from the machine to the man. It would be testament to test yours and the machine's limits in a controlled and fun way. Good luck though.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 20:39   #253
BHPian

Fresh parts update.

As explained in my previous post, the lockdown period had me pretty busy window shopping and occasionally "adding to cart" certain items and then sulking about it later because I could not afford it at the time or I hadn't planned for it financially.
Well, but in the end, I did make a few planned and a few unplanned purchases too.
So as far as parts that I got my hand on here is the Samco radiator hose kit I pulled the trigger on, got it in the candy red color which I am sure is going to add some awesome accent to the bike's current livery. The other option was blue but I think I made the right choice here.

The Samco hose and clamp kit
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-samco.jpeg

Of course, this is going to be a DIY install. But as luck would have it I am still waiting gon another part from Yamaha before which there is no point getting the hoses swapped. Yup, I am waiting on a fresh coolant overflow can.

The next part is the GB racing can chain tensioner cover. I currently have a mixed setup on the right side of the bike with the Clutch cover being GB racing and the cam chain tensioner cover being woodcraft, the replaceable slider part has discolored a bit too and is looking a bit worse for the wear, so I just to satisfy my OCD placed an order in for the GB racing to complete the set.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-gb_racing.jpeg

This was a spur of a moment purchase, the part was not cheap, it's usually cheaper to buy the complete set. I am yet to receive this part, should be in my hands in a few months time.

Next is the much-awaited braking upgrade. Ever since I started riding the R1 I always felt the area the bike was lacking by a lot is the braking feel/performance. No matter how much I heard others saying that it's not that bad, I just wasn't satisfied, I am someone who prefers more bite and feedback from the brakes than a normal person I guess. So an upgrade in this department was on the cards 1.5 years as you can see from my post from Jan 2020, so it was very much a planned upgrade.

Quote:
Yes. That is right.
First step towards improving that was the Steel Braided brake lines, which is already done.
The next step I am looking at is the EBC sintered pads. A set of the pads will cost me around Rs.3.9k and I will need 2. So that sets me back around 7k or so (Planning on ordering from MotoUsher).
And I am also looking into the Brembo Corsa Corta MC, it sits dearly at around 37k or so.

A few more stuff needs to be taken care of before I can save for it.

Cheers
Well, took only 1.5 years but here I am. The planned upgrades for the brake system for the R1 have been done.

The RCS19 Corsa Cota has been procured, can't wait to get my hands on it and try it on the bike.

Just looking at that box itself is getting me exited
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-662ba9c58887480d99c221df2ff1d00e.jpeg

RCS19 in all it's glory
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-abc.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1490fc84d90041188c99fdf4cfc0258b.jpeg

A full set of EBC Double sintered pads is also in order that should take care of my braking needs. Unless my rotor is approaching its width tolerance, in that case, I will also be looking at OEM rotors vs EBC rotors, cost and availability would be the main influencing factor and not a more aggressive braking setup as I think the EBC pads and RCS19 should take care of that enough.

Now the final part is probably the most financially stupid decision I have taken with this bike apart from the actual act of purchasing the bike. But I think I have already established the fact that I am not a smart man in the initial posts of this thread so I'm not going to revisit it.

I have been a huge fan of LighTech parts but their price point always churned my stomach into weird shapes. But one too many youtube videos researching mods for the Yamaha R1 lead me down this path and this is what I ended up with.

The Lightech Chain adjuster set.

Just look at that beauty
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-57065f68617d4d7bbddafb046075e719.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-075967be0a5f45b0a6a544854f61e4fc.jpeg

This does away with the stock chain adjuster nut&bolt and block system and replaces it with this easy-to-use/adjust clicker system. Touted as a must-have accessory for almost any bike because of its ease to use when adjusting chain slack or even to help quicker time to mount or change wheels. It is one hell of an investment...is what I want to say but really it is just an unwanted luxury bragging rights spur-of-the-moment purchase, to be honest keeping my usage in mind. And Xasos636 has and will not let me live this decision down for the rest of my life. Here is a screenshot of a conversation of me trying to justify my purchase and his reaction to the same.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-screenshot.jpeg
For the non-Malayalam speakers, I was trying to justify my purchase saying that chain adjustment will now be a super-fast job and he was countering it by asking how long it takes me now and how much did I pay for it. The rest of the convo is pretty self-explanatory.

Should make for a good laugh. My Malayali friends will get a kick out of the context of those WhatsApp stickers too.

So yeah. That's it for this week's update post. While this is not the end of the parts haul in any sense of the word. The next bundle will come in time.

I'd share the updated expense sheet but I think I'll pass on that now just to keep my ego intact a bit.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 00:33   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Fresh parts update.

The RCS19 Corsa Cota has been procured, can't wait to get my hands on it and try it on the bike.

The Lightech Chain adjuster set.
Oh Boy!! That is an expensive update!!
I totally agree, these Brembo master MCs are just a thing of beauty!!
A friend has them on his 10R.

Will be looking forward for the feedback!!

I have reached this lightech adjuster too while browsing!!
And as you said, similarly I have been a big fan of their products, but the price just makes me cry. Glad you could jump over to the dark side and buy. I am still tip toeing.

Awesome Updates brother!!
This is so nice for me, you keep putting stuff on your bike and sharing feedback and I can copy paste them on mine..

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 06:58   #255
BHPian

Those are some lovely and thoughtful purchases.

I'd recommend when adding new brake fluid do try and procure the the Motul RBF660, Maxima 600 or the Castrol SRF. These have a higher boiling point and should work better with the Corsa Corta.
Plus with your new pads you should feel a massive difference in feel. Have you got braided lines as well?

I catch myself using these adjusters every-time i clean my chain. So much easier to maintain that chain tension. This purchase justifies itself

Superb stuff!! Will wait to see how they look on the bike!
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks