Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 16:45   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959

So in continuation of my previous post, got some more parts added to Mark 13.

Let's first start with the missing parts. Once again I will let pictures do majority of the talking.

1. Frame Sliders

The frame sliders were finally installed, we had to do a small drill in the plastic part on the right side to make it sit, but it is now installed perfectly.

Left Side

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-frame-sliders-left.jpg

Right Side.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-frame-sliders.jpg

The right side one though is touching my shin, so I will need to see if we can drill one small hole and move it down if possible or just remove the Protector and leave the plate on, that will also give decent protection.

2. Radiator Guards.

These were installed and are nothing special, did not even click any specific pics, though the limited amount of space that Ducati gives you, took a bit of effort to have them installed.

3. Clear Clutch Case Cover.

This ended up being a tragedy, when we opened it, we found out that what was sent was for V4 and not for 959. When we tried to align it and see if it will fit, two bolts were misaligning. This was one of the part I was actually looking forward to install for the neat party trick.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-v4.jpg

That out of the way, I also had a GB Racing clutch case cover which I had bought earlier, which goes over the OEM cover for extra protection. Decided to have it installed, and it looks nice. The amount of heat this bike produce, the paint has come off a bit from the case.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-gb-racing-cover.jpg

I have for now put a sticker, but I am sure that will be gone in few days as don't think it has any chance to hold on with the kind of heat that is generated. Will try to get a reflective sticker as that has good glue hold and might stay on longer.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-gb-racing-cover-ducati-sticker.jpg

4. Heat shield

Heat shield was procured from Ducati Spacers and Installed.

Below the seat.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heat-shield-under-seat.jpg

Sub Frames.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heat-shield-1.jpg

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heat-shield-2.jpg

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heat-shield-small-part.jpg

Impressions:

After installing the heat shield there is some improvement in the way heat escapes from the frames now. The earlier uncomfortable feeling of hot air escaping near the thighs is reduced. The heat shield is holding the heat inside a bit longer, but obviously after sometime it starts escaping again. The ambient temperature on speedo though is showing more, as I presume heat is trapped inside for longer, though I am feeling a bit better outside. One thing i have realized no matter what I do this bike will always be a pain to ride in city even for small time. I have decided to live with this, because everything else about this bike is just amazing.

I am contemplating to maybe get Carbon fiber sub frame cover when I get a chance, that will mean that ambient heat does not need to build up and the heat would be controlled as well, and they look Slick too!!

That takes care of all the parts that were planned for now, the entire installation was done at Motospark, and as always I had a very good experience with them!!

With the parts taken care of my next plan was to add some carbon bits to the bike, to make it a bit more lighter and just generally make it look better.

1. Carbon Fiber Seat cowl

Replaced the Plastic part of the Cowl with the carbon fiber cowl, this I got it from a friend.

Cowl Side by Side

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-cowl-comparison.jpg

Installed

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-cowl-installed.jpg

On a ride.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-ride.jpg

2. Fiber Shock Guard

The next three parts have been procured from RLZ carbon, I had earlier got the exhaust shield cover from them, and I was very impressed with the quality. I decided to get the remaining few parts also from them, now except the chain guard, I have all the parts installed on the bike from there portfolio. I continue to be impressed with the quality of the work these guys have done, and happy to get these parts in India itself. Wish they had the subframes and front mudguard as well in Carbon fiber, would have picked that as well.

Fiber Shock Guard

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-fiber-shock-guard.jpg

Comparison with Stock

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-fiber-shock-guard-comparison.jpg

3. Heel Guards

Next up is heel Guards, these are also very good quality. They had there branding on it, I thought it was too much, so put on some stickers to hide it.

Heel Guards

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heel-guard.jpg

Logo removed

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heel-guard-sticker.jpg

Heel Guard Comparison

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heel-guard-comparison.jpg

Heel Guard Installed

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heel-guard-installed.jpg

Heel Guard and Shock Guard Installed.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-heel-guard-fiber-shock-installed.jpg

4. Rear hugger

Installed Rear hugger also in CF, got both Heel Guard and Rear hugger in Forged design to make them stand out, while other are in standard CF design.

Rear hugger

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-rear-hugger-guard.jpg

Rear hugger Comparison, now with branding removed.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-rear-hugger-comparison.jpg

Rear hugger Installed

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-rear-hugger-installed.jpg

This brings an end to all the parts that have been installed on Mark 13 till now, and personalize it to a great extent. While I was on this crusade I have also procured Caberg Evo Drift Carbon Fiber Helmet. I have penned my thoughts in the helmet thread, but in a nutshell it's a brilliant helmet.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-cf-caberg-helmet.jpg

What next is the question that keeps lingering in a person mind, so this is what is next on my mind, and would love to hear your thoughts on the same.

1. Motogp style switches

I have them with me right now, but still not sure if I should install them or not. These belong to a friend and if I don't put them on, I will either sell them or return them. This is a thought that goes on.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-motogp-switches.jpeg

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-motogp-switches-2.jpeg

2. Underbody Exhaust - This is what is on top of my list and I am working on procuring a 1299R underbody full system exhaust, If I get that, it will spice up things both in looks and Aural experience, they can get real loud.

3. Carbon fiber Lower Fairings - If I get the exhaust I will need to change lower fairings to accommodate the design, I am planning to then get the lower fairings in Carbon fiber to enhance the look and also contain some heat.

4. Carbon Fiber Subframe - As discussed above might change the stock with Carbon fiber subframe and that should help both with heat and looks.

This I guess will make me stop with any more updates, as there is not much left anyway honestly, maybe a new pair of rearsets, but that is something not on top of my mind right now.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, and hope you enjoyed the photos and like how the Panigale looks now. Until next time!!
AtheK is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 08:50   #122
BHPian

The rear seat cowl needs a go pro...

The rate at which you are customizing your 959, and the hours you spend on it, does your family not complain?

For the GB racing clutch cover, that Ducati sticker will last about 30 minutes, forget a few days, before it unglues and flies away with the wind.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:18   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
The rear seat cowl needs a go pro...

The rate at which you are customizing your 959, and the hours you spend on it, does your family not complain?

For the GB racing clutch cover, that Ducati sticker will last about 30 minutes, forget a few days, before it unglues and flies away with the wind.
I am not actually one of the guys who like putting on go pro, and a go pro in that location, actually does not capture any footage that will be good for me. Yes maybe I can make some real good video of yours when I am riding with you! I actually sold of my go pro few months back, as I was hardly using it.

All the parts I buy for 959, they cost double as I have to take out wife that long to compensate for that

Rest about complaining, think long and before you say "I do", you will be the one in much more trouble brother after that.

Ya the sticker is more for photos which I took, it stands no chance to stick on. Let's see if the vinyl which I plan to put can hold on, though honestly I don't think it would too. I have since given up the plan to get the clear clutch case cover too, I chanced to see a certain 1299R () running the clear clutch case cover, and since we don't have dry clutch, the insides look really bad after sometime.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2022 at 19:43. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 21:48   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
What next is the question that keeps lingering in a person mind, so this is what is next on my mind, and would love to hear your thoughts on the same.
One fox asks the skulk of foxes whether they should raid the chicken coop

Quote:
1. Motogp style switches

I have them with me right now, but still not sure if I should install them or not. These belong to a friend and if I don't put them on, I will either sell them or return them. This is a thought that goes on.
I dont know how they will work or if you will mix your indicators for the headlight pass switch while riding but my opinion will not waver. Get them installed! They look smashing.

Quote:
2. Underbody Exhaust - This is what is on top of my list and I am working on procuring a 1299R underbody full system exhaust, If I get that, it will spice up things both in looks and Aural experience, they can get real loud.

3. Carbon fiber Lower Fairings - If I get the exhaust I will need to change lower fairings to accommodate the design, I am planning to then get the lower fairings in Carbon fiber to enhance the look and also contain some heat.

4. Carbon Fiber Subframe - As discussed above might change the stock with Carbon fiber subframe and that should help both with heat and looks.
Im salivating just reading this list. Kindly do the needful at the earliest. We are waiting patiently.

On a more serious note, your bike is well on its way to becoming the tastiest 959 in India.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 01:23   #125
BHPian

That’s a gorgeous machine with some neat mods!

P.S: I’ve always wondered what it would take to work on one’s own bikes and cars, having the know how and expertise to modify it and craft it to their own taste. Especially for someone that isn’t from a mechanical/engineering background. I just cannot comprehend, what sorta analytical or creative, passionate quality does one need?!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:37   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Thatís a gorgeous machine with some neat mods!

P.S: Iíve always wondered what it would take to work on oneís own bikes and cars, having the know how and expertise to modify it and craft it to their own taste. Especially for someone that isnít from a mechanical/engineering background. I just cannot comprehend, what sorta analytical or creative, passionate quality does one need?!
Looks to me a shop where the jobs were done.
Hope AtheK doesn't take offence

Though in his defence, a true DIY is very difficult unless you got your own nice garage or at least a decently sized porch. This is pretty difficult in places like Mumbai or Bangalore. May be in Delhi where you do tend to see good sized houses but here you are basically forced to take your bike to a shop to get things done. I am planning a major piece of work myself and would really love to have a go but lack of space worries me!
doga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 21:17   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Thatís a gorgeous machine with some neat mods!

P.S: Iíve always wondered what it would take to work on oneís own bikes and cars, having the know how and expertise to modify it and craft it to their own taste. Especially for someone that isnít from a mechanical/engineering background. I just cannot comprehend, what sorta analytical or creative, passionate quality does one need?!
Well honestly the amount of video tutorials that you get on YouTube are mind boggling, if you have the appetite for it, you can actually dismantle the entire bike. That said you really don't need to be extremely technical or analytical. What you need added is a different story, and depending on what kind of rider you are, you will either want functional mods or enhance look of the bike. That my friend takes lot of time and effort. You can do a mix and match of both as well. You really just need patience and passion, and lot of money :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Looks to me a shop where the jobs were done.
Hope AtheK doesn't take offence

Though in his defence, a true DIY is very difficult unless you got your own nice garage or at least a decently sized porch. This is pretty difficult in places like Mumbai or Bangalore. May be in Delhi where you do tend to see good sized houses but here you are basically forced to take your bike to a shop to get things done. I am planning a major piece of work myself and would really love to have a go but lack of space worries me!
You are right few of the things have been done in garage, but lot of other things were done at home, mainly the basic ones. I kind of don't like opening the fairing of the bike myself, and that is where I draw a line and take it to a garage. It is not that I can't, it's just that one lack of space, and second lack of patience works against me. Tools also can be sometime an issue, like couple of bolts were chipped off and screwdriver will just keep rotating, ideally you can fix that yourself with a bit of effort, but this is the point I like to draw the line and let the professionals fix it, while you Ogle at other beautiful machines parked and being worked upon.

Some specialized tools like bit to open the tires of Ducati was also needed to be procured. It has to be a mix and match of DIY and Professional help for best results.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 14:25   #128
Senior - BHPian

Last week, 14th Feb to be precise Mark 13 completed a year with me and what a year it has been. Bike has thought me so much more about bikes, and the journey has mainly been a pleasant one. From learning to ride a very torquey and powerful bike, to decking her up with some meaningful and some not so meaningful accessories to understanding how it feels when a tea kettle releases heat steam in real, it has been a great one.

I was able to put around 6000 Kms on it in this year, with all the lockdown and other challenges that were thrown to us. The fact that miles were also shared with the younger RE sibling makes me feel good about being able to do justice to her, and not just keep her as an eye candy. I hope to be able to do more then those miles this year, but with the situation we find ourselves in, one can never be sure.

The Siblings

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-sibling.jpg

To celebrate the completion of 1 year took her out for a dinner date the previous day on 13th Feb, as 14th Feb was reserved for wife and I would rather have both of them co-exist happily. Of the two I knew Mark 13 won't complain, or even if it does, I would not know. I had not taken the Panigale on a city ride after I bought her, due to the heat issues so I decided to do a late night ride and see the city generally. I did not click much photos as I was just generally enjoying the ride, and with weather being pleasant one it did not heat up too much. Went around to MG road, Vidhan Soudha, Hebbal to New Airport highway and back home. It is nice to see a lazy city on a Sunday night and with hardly any traffic along with just your bike exhaust note to give you company, I hummed a couple of songs too inside my helmet and ended the day taking just couple of photos near to my house. It was a nice ride!!

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-night.jpg

It still did not feel like ride was complete as what Mark 13 needs is open roads and open throttle. So took her out to complete her birthday present and we did a 250 km long ride, the bike has opened up well, and the comfort seat has made a lot of difference. I now feel confident of doing over 500 kms a day on this if majority of the road is highway. I will go for a long tour soon. This time again I was just enjoying the ride and took a photo only when I stopped to have something to drink.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959-portrait.jpg

Thought I will pen down a small post for me to remember this time when I get to see this thread later down the years, it should serve as a good memory!!

Last edited by AtheK : 24th February 2022 at 14:30.
AtheK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 14:37   #129

Happy anniversary!
May you guys grow very old together!
gabbar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed