Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 22:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
This is an amazing post.
That was my thought too, but the post has been an eye opener and in a good way too. Thanks to this information, I will not sound like a total idiot if I get pulled into any such discussion.
I think no_fear handle name suits him well as for a person who has so many Italian exotics in his garage and one who goes about rebuilding the engine of the 1199R definitely has no fear in life

This kind of information is really helpful and I expected nothing less either from him.

Athek, do you think you should change the water pump gear to a metal one when you do your Desmo service just to be on the safe side?
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 23:32   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post

c) You have a half or full day track - ride in the morning, have lunch, ride in the afternoon.

C) is where you need to do a full Desmo service at the end of the session. It is needed because of the high strung nature of the L twin engine + the added wear and tear from the track day session. You are riding the bike for a good 1000 - 2000 km in a day in race settings and throwing everything at it.

I am assuming that if you do track days, you will do option b) or c).

2 thousand KM in a track day? The BIC length is 5.125 KM.
That would mean 390 laps.

Thats a crazy number.
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 23:37   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I think no_fear handle name suits him well as for a person who has so many Italian exotics in his garage and one who goes about rebuilding the engine of the 1199R definitely has no fear in life

This kind of information is really helpful and I expected nothing less either from him.

Athek, do you think you should change the water pump gear to a metal one when you do your Desmo service just to be on the safe side?
I think it makes sense to change it, also I was just doing a bit of calculation. My Desmo is still 10,000 KMs away, maybe things get settled in another year. Hopefully I am able to put in another 5-6K KMs on the bike till then. I can then plan to club few track days over few months and then go for the Desmo service.

This will help to keep the price in check and allow me to have fun at Track also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post

Thats a crazy number.
Indeed.

Last edited by AtheK : 30th April 2021 at 23:40.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 04:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
2 thousand KM in a track day? The BIC length is 5.125 KM.
That would mean 390 laps.

Thats a crazy number.
Sorry, my bad. I missed out on a key word here. My statement should have been riding 1000-2000km a day equivalent in full race settings.

Average track day, you cover about 150-300 km on the track. It is not a big number but the wear / tear the bike takes is equivalent to someone riding the bike for 1000 km on a regular road.

Athek, if you plan to track your bike frequently, do change the water pump gearing when you do the desmo service. The metal sprockets are not available in India as they are customized. You will have to source it online.

Also you should get race fairings. Your regular fairings will get scratched and dinged from debris + rubber from the tires.

Last edited by no_fear : 1st May 2021 at 05:10.
no_fear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 14:43   #50
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Many Many congratulations on such a beautiful motorcycle Athek. The picture of you and Mark 3 in the opening post just sums everything up. I still have to read through the entire thread - but until then take care ride safe.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:36   #51
BHPian

Congrats Athek! This is a bike that I would like to buy some day so that I can go to my parking lot and look at it everyday ! It is just so beautiful.

Once this Covid situation eases out, let us catch up for a ride
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Not a motorcycle guys at all, but I have to admit that there are two companies in existence whose products I cannot but stop and stare at, when I see them in real life. These are Ducati and MV Agusta. Of the two, MV literally makes art on two wheels, and Ducati comes a close second. Especially the fared sportsbikes as well as the naked streetfighters from both these companies are simply enough for making a beguiling sight even for four wheeler enthusiasts like me.

Not to mention those screaming exhaust howls on all of the Ducatis. Great choice and good luck with the temperamental Italian
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 22:59   #53
BHPian

What a wonderful writeup @Athek for an equally gorgeous machine. Looks like you got a wonderful deal on the Panigale. Loved going through it.

Helmet looks equally stunning. Which brand is this and is it rated for ECE/DOT?

Happy miles!
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 00:08   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Many Many congratulations on such a beautiful motorcycle Athek. The picture of you and Mark 3 in the opening post just sums everything up.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Congrats Athek!
Once this Covid situation eases out, let us catch up for a ride
Thanks anshuman, yes definitely let's go for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Not a motorcycle guys at all, but I have to admit that there are two companies in existence whose products I cannot but stop and stare at, when I see them in real life. These are Ducati and MV Agusta. Of the two, MV literally makes art on two wheels, and Ducati comes a close second. Especially the fared sportsbikes as well as the naked streetfighters from both these companies are simply enough for making a beguiling sight even for four wheeler enthusiasts like me.

Not to mention those screaming exhaust howls on all of the Ducatis. Great choice and good luck with the temperamental Italian
Glad I could interests a four wheeler enthusiastic to a bike ownership thread. Without a doubt MV are absolutely beautiful also we can add add Aprilia to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
What a wonderful writeup @Athek for an equally gorgeous machine. Looks like you got a wonderful deal on the Panigale. Loved going through it.

Helmet looks equally stunning. Which brand is this and is it rated for ECE/DOT?

Happy miles!

Thanks abhi, the helmet is HJC RPHA 70 and yes it is ECE and DOT certified.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:06   #55
BHPian

Athek,

Have you decided to stick with the handlebar end mirrors or install the original mirrors? Asking as one of my friends broke his original mirror yesterday. Bike was parked in a car park, the plastic stalk snapped off. Anyways, Ducati in its infinite wisdom, does not sell individual mirrors, but as a pair. Each mirror costs 16k, but you have to buy as a pair, so that means its 32K faatka. He was discussing about the damage. Told him to consider handle bar end mirrors.

The other issue you will face riding the motorbike in our hot weather, is that the rear wheel mud guard surface starts bubbling due to the heat from the exhaust loop. I have attached a picture of my 1199R OEM plastic guard. If you see this happening, its normal. There is no solution. Some folks (including me) installed the Ducati carbon fiber guard, but over time the carbon fiber discolors and turns brown due to the heat. I removed the carbon fiber and kept the plastic guard installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-rear-guard.jpg  

Last edited by no_fear : 2nd May 2021 at 09:17.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Athek,

Have you decided to stick with the handlebar end mirrors? Bike was parked in a car park, the plastic stalk snapped off. Anyways, Ducati in its infinite wisdom, does not sell individual mirrors, but as a pair. Each mirror costs 16k, but you have to buy as a pair, so that means its 32K faatka.

The other issue you will face riding the motorbike in our hot weather, is that the rear wheel mud guard surface starts bubbling due to the heat from the exhaust loop.
The breaking stalk, the most common ducati issue, no idea why they won't use better material. Oh man, I thought 15k was for pair, this is so expensive. The bar ends that i have got, I have still not got around installing them or testing them as I do not have a 12 mm bit handy. But for all practical purposes the one I have are fashion accessory then anything else. I have absolutely no hopes on them. Visibility is one aspect, other is the supplied bar ends to mount them on, they are extremely light compared to the stock. Along with the expected hampered visibility, I will also have to test the vibrations on handlebar once installed. This though unfortunately won't happen soon because of the lockdown till 10th May. I would be able to give you a decent feedback only post that.

I though did continue my search for a better solution, and have come across these they definitely look much better made and much more sturdy. The other option is to get CRG mirror with Kyle end bars here, but they cost almost 300$.

Regarding the wheel mud guard surface, you think a 5D vinyl wrap will help, yes it will get faded soon, but at the same time that should be easy and cheap to replace.

Last edited by AtheK : 2nd May 2021 at 12:53.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the wheel mud guard surface, you think a 5D vinyl wrap will help, yes it will get faded soon, but at the same time that should be easy and cheap to replace.
No, don't attach any wrap. The Vinyl will melt into the plastic and scar the surface. Save the $$ and use it for track days or riding gear.
Old 3rd May 2021, 00:20   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

@neil.jericho

Here are the photos of headlight in action.

White LED low Beam

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-img_20210503_000014.jpg

Stock Halogen High Beam

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-img_20210503_000020.jpg

A close up shot from front.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-img_20210416_191029__01.jpg

@no_fear

Here is an image of the tank guard, it will be replaced in sometime as this has lived it's life.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-img_20210503_000350.jpg

Last edited by AtheK : 3rd May 2021 at 00:27.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an image of the tank guard, it will be replaced in sometime as this has lived it's life.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-img_20210503_000350.jpg
Just a suggestion, if you are changing the tank pad try to go for a clear version like I have put on my tank.

Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-3.jpg

I personally don't prefer a tank guard as it spoils the entire look but since the rider position is leaned forward better to have some protection.

Hence, I went for this clear version as it didn't spoil the flow/look of the white decal on the tank. Also, why I didn't install tank pads to not spoil the overall look of the bike.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 09:22   #60
BHPian

The Ducati clear tank guards turn brown and discolor very quickly due to the weather and the glue wears out. You can order from the dealer directly, but those come with a price premium.

Motografix carries a decent variety and CNC racing has some too.

https://officialmotografix.com/epage...roducts/TD025R

https://www.cncracing.com/en/ducati_...ati-12259.html

Price wise, they are decent. The most basic tank pads I saw being sold at Delhi start from 2 - 3k INR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks