Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 14:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition! Years ago I got a chance to try a Panigale 959 and when I finished the short ride I was grinning from ear to ear like an idiot but at the same time my hands were shaking from the gut wrenching acceleration the bike had. Its a bike that will really move you no two ways about it. My current Z650's power delivery is so linear that even though I moved up from a 150cc bike the power delivery never really scared me.

I think once you sort out the heat a bit the bike will be a keeper for you for many years to come as I doubt anyone will ever outgrow a 157 bhp bike on Indian roads.
Thanks a lot, yes I will eventually make my peace with the Heat part. You are right about the power, the gains going above from here are minimal with higher risks. I think the new V2 is perfect with all the electronics and more then enough power. Just that it is priced way too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Congrats AtheK. The bike just looks amazing! And I am sure it won't be just you who will be staring at the bike n pure wonder when seeing it parked.

Cheers
Krishna
Thanks Krishna, Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Thank You for speaking about this. I feel this post must be a must for every big bike purchase post. Every bike comes with its set of niggles and we should be comfortable enough to talk about it. Who knows, it might help a lot of people in making up their minds.
I agree, beyond the looks and the initial hype, a person should know what he is getting into, it's one thing to pose and click pics, it's a different ball game to live with them in long run.

Quote:
I actually kinda like these displays. I think it's to do with that white backlight mainly but yeah.
I guess it will grow on me with time, Drakula also had a white light display, and I am probably spoilt by looking at the V4/V2 displays.

Quote:
Yes yes. Please move the underbelly exhaust set up if it's possible. That shotgun-style looks very much like an afterthought. Almost like they just had a few cans lying around from the monster series and decided to use it for the Panigale. The exhaust just does not flow with the Panigale design language.
I had a pleasure of seeing this modification done by one of the riders, I have already booked that exhaust and setup for me once he decides to let go off the bike. He has the 1299 Exhaust, problem is sourcing them currently and also to source the lower fairings. One more problem is I will need the Full stock system Exhaust of 1299 as Y midpipe of 959 is shorter.

Quote:
If I was in your shoes I'd just go with the bar ends you have and forget that I ever have the stock mirrors with me. This just looks so much better than the stock, but then again you need to be sold on the visibility factor too.
I am personally a fan too and like the clean front look, I also hope visibility is decent. Otherwise would have to wait for travel to open and then there are few decent options which definitely works.

Quote:
So true I have had this happen at one of my morning rides, I parked to get a coffee, I had a complete line of sight with the bike. A tempo traveler full of some families going to some event stopped. Naturally, kids and adults equally were taken aback at the bike and one of the kid wanted to climb on the bike and the parent without even a seconds hesitation put him on top of the bike, poor fellow but himself a bit by touching the frame of the bike and while dismounting he got off the opposite way and ended up moving back and snapped off the indicator from its place. And I was watching this whole thing happen right while sipping coffee.
I decided not to make a fuss about it because the indicators on the R1 are the same as the one on the R15 and cost Rs.150 or so to replace so I just went along with my day, albeit with a hanging/dangling front indicator.
That indeed is a lucky break, unfortunately Ducati one cost around 15K as they are integrated into mirrors, so it will be quite an expense, and worst still they snap much more easily.

Quote:
That's an extensive mod list, love that you are taking the time, money, and effort into making the bike your own. And do try to keep the thread up to date. Nothing more awesome that reading update posts on threads like these
The first set of mods only arrive by July, I hope the condition improves and my brother is indeed able to travel, it's been long I met him too.

Quote:
At times like these, we need to see more of these words. Hope that day comes soon.

Once again, congrats AtheK. Hope you have a wonderful time with this best and maybe someday we can ride together once I am back in Bangalore.
I agree, and my prayers for everyone impacted, we shall see through this. Definitely Looking forward to ride with you in near future and see the mighty R1 in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjot37 View Post
Absolutely smashing ownership review! The most enjoyable one, yet! I have to say that your writing style kept me hooked till the end.
Seeing the photographs reminded me of my childhood days of drooling over superbikes! Although, I'm a car nut now, your thread rekindled something.
Wish you all the very best, and a happy ownership experience! Munch on!
Thanks a lot and i am Glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Krishna, AtheK.

How do you guys handle this situation generally. If I go somewhere, I usually tip the parking attendant or valet a bit extra and ask him to watch over the bike.

I do not mind if people, and especially kids want to sit on the bike, touch it, or take pictures, while I am around. We all had similar dreams to own such bikes when we were kids.

But what makes me a bit mad are those who just go up and sit on the bike or lean against it, as if it belongs to them. Asking the owner is just good etiquette and I feel that is often lacking.

And then there are the insta influencers who will start a vlog without any permission whatsover.
I am doing the same I either tip the attendant 100 bucks or make sure I only park at places where I have direct line of visibility of the bike.

I don't mind kids taking photos as well, they love it, specially the village kids. I have also had instances in which petrol pump attendant have requested for a photo, I always oblige, as they asked. It was amazing to see one such chap not able to control his excitement when I let him sit on the bike on his request. I am not losing anything, just appreciating the fact that he respects some one else property and took proper permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Am on the same page with you. Damage to my bike done by someone else’s recklessness is something I just can’t live with.

Plus these guys don’t understand the dangers they are putting their young ones in by making them sit on big bikes for a photo without close adult supervision. Firstly, these bikes are not on on a main stand (minus the adventure bikes) making these 200 kg plus monsters highly unstable if the weight is suddenly shifted in the opposite direction. The kid will not be able to do anything to arrest his fall leading to serious injuries.

The other danger is of getting serious burns if they sit on one which has just been parked after a long ride and the kid ends up touching the wrong place.

Adults need to develop more sense and respect others property. I don’t see them doing such things in an open car or entering someone’s house without permission to take a picture. So what gives them the right to do the same by sitting on someone else’s motorcycle. If its a kid can still be understood as we would have done the same when we were young.
Absolutely my view, a machine can be fixed, it can be catastrophic for the kid. Just not Kid even as you mentioned the Adults behave crazy sometimes, we have had heard of fights breaking out just because some one wanted to sit on the bike and the owner objected. We really need to learn to appreciate some one else property.

I literally had my heart in my mouth when my kid was on the bike to click pics, he is extremely naughty and the way he was excited, I had to be constantly on my toes. Now when ever he wants me to click his pics on the bike I put it on paddock.

I had once accidentally dropped a friend bike while trying to reverse, and it ended up snapping his brake lever, luckily it had frame sliders so fairing was saved. I could not sleep properly for next few days. The bike ultimately got fixed and I paid for the entire damage, but that feeling still haunts me.

Quote:
Sns, I am sure the Busa gets a lot of attention, especially as its the Dhoom bike. One of my friend's Busa got scratched in traffic, when a rider on a Splendor tried to race him and then ended up losing control and hitting the Busa. Sheer idiocy!!!

I feel Busa riders have it harder than others. Simply because its the Dhoom bike, every Activa and Splendor rider wants to race against a Busa to inflate ego.

Another time a group of us were out - all of us on Kawasaki + Busas. 2 riders, one on a Dominar and the other on a Pulsar tried to race us / show off. Popped wheelies on a freaking flyover, lost control and fell under a truck. Both died.
That is tragic, and also a known trait. Moment some of these guys see big bikes they for some reason want to race, just to prove something, maybe that they are better riders. I just let them pass and slow down even more.

Busa has it's own legend, and we have two in the group I ride, they are always crowd pullers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
This is particularly true for bikes with exposed exhausts that run very hot (like a Harley) and are close to the leg.

When I ride in a group, there's always someone in the group that hangs around the bikes, at least for a few minutes after we park and when the public "appreciation" is at its peak, warning people about hot exhausts, etc. We've had made up stories of test machines, army machines etc., as well, all calculated to try and deflect attention up close.

When I ride solo, taking off the gear, and getting some "fresh air from ITC" for about 10 minutes seems to be one way of dulling the interest.

Other strategies include parking the bike within constant visual range, the extra "tip" , and parking out of sight in a safer and less accessible place.

However, chrome (in my experience) and size seems to attract people and one does needs to be careful.

Of course I'm lucky enough to ride in a group with Harleys that are bigger and have more visual appeal, or ADVs that seem monstrously large, so mine happily goes unnoticed (much to the chagrin of the owners of these more appealing machines).
That is a good approach, and followed by us too. One other way is that we generally take pit stops in places which are less crowded. I have now made it a big No to go to usual morning ride destinations. I prefer finding something much more clam, and with the times we live in avoiding crowd is anyway a necessity. Have a calm breakfast in a remote place, having your meal and appreciating the bike at the same time, is time well spent.

Quote:
That's 100% true. In a sea of superbikes everyone easily identifies a Busa and that too people of all age groups. Hence, I always end up looking at the bike than the food I am eating on the breakfast rides

Hence, I never take my bikes including my RX and RD to any place where it won't be in my line of sight. My dad especially says that I should carry a chain with the RX due to the fear of it getting robbed with the kind of attention it gathers especially when he rides it. I have taken the Busa only once to work and I carried my bike cover along with me and it was parked in my office building premises. Parking is a challenge in Nariman point, Mumbai where I work and especially motorcycles are always pushed to be parked out on the road.

Still, I have seen many ride their expensive bikes to work and park them in public parking space something I will never develop the courage to do ever. With a Ducati though, I would have even had my breakfast on the bike on a Sunday morning ride with friends.
I shudder to park my bike in public parking, in an office parking probably it makes sense and much more safe, but imagine parking your bike in a mall. I am sure something would be missing or broken by the time you return. Car is your best friend to go to public crowded places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift87 View Post
Congratulation on your new motorcycle. Great write up, its very palpable. Its one of the few ownership reviews that I really enjoyed reading and glued me to the screen. And a lot of insights on owning a brand like Ducati. Wishing you lots of happy miles and experiences.

Cheers
Thank you dear Sir, Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Athek, congrats on the Ducati Panigale 959.

I have had the pleasure of riding one, albeit briefly inside the city and I must say, one really needs to be fit to manage the committed ergonomics. It looks so good in person!

The power is fairly bonkers and right up there in liter class territory.
Thank you for your kind words. It might sound funny but I lost around 9 kgs before I picked up the bike. Since I had decided to buy the Panigale, I wanted to lose as much bulk of me as possible and was on Intermittent fasting. I would not obviously like to have my belly making my already aggressive position even more aggressive.

Quote:
You could consider investing in a tent system to put up next to the bike in the parking area. It'll make it much more convenient to admire the bike during this WFH situation.
If I had my way I would move the dining table to a corner and park the bike in my Living room

Quote:
Used to ride to work on the GSX S750 atleast a couple of days in the week, especially during winter/summer. Used to be a 35km one-way commute through some nice twisty back-roads to escape the shitty Pune traffic.

After having parked the bike in the office parking, the level of apprehension used to be so high that atleast 3-4 trips to the parking to "check on the bike" used to be the norm

Thankfully being a parking dedicated to office folks, didn't have to face damage/issues
True the office parking definitely helps.

Quote:
What they have not learned/taught when they are kids they are not gonna learn now. They have bigger problems than to worry/respect other people's property, sadly for most people that's how they act.

Cheers
Krishna
Very well said.

Last edited by AtheK : 30th April 2021 at 14:41.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
This is particularly true for bikes with exposed exhausts that run very hot (like a Harley) and are close to the leg.

When I ride in a group, there's always someone in the group that hangs around the bikes, at least for a few minutes after we park and when the public "appreciation" is at its peak, warning people about hot exhausts, etc. We've had made up stories of test machines, army machines etc., as well, all calculated to try and deflect attention up close.
I generally ask people to take pictures by just standing next to the bike and not sit on it. People who do without my permission always get an earful from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
I have been guilty of this offence

Used to ride to work on the GSX S750 atleast a couple of days in the week, especially during winter/summer. Used to be a 35km one-way commute through some nice twisty back-roads to escape the shitty Pune traffic.

After having parked the bike in the office parking, the level of apprehension used to be so high that atleast 3-4 trips to the parking to "check on the bike" used to be the norm

Thankfully being a parking dedicated to office folks, didn't have to face damage/issues.
If its a closed parking space where outsiders have no access then I am ok. But not in the open view where it constantly attracts unwanted attention. Plus riding to work is a much bigger pain in Mumbai's crazy traffic. Hence, did it only once in the last four years.

In fact many big bike owners just take it out anywhere without caring much about the bike. There was one incident when I was with my wife and a few friends at a CCD in Mahavir Nagar in Kandivali (Mumbai). That place is always buzzing with people and a complete no parking zone with towing vans doing the rounds frequently. Among all the bikes parked on the street was a Ducati Monster and I saw the owner park it and walk in with a female friend/wife maybe. After a few moments I see a towing van pull up and three guys literally lifting up the Ducati with their hands ( they did not have the hydraulic crane back then). I was taken aback as that was the first time I saw a superbike getting towed away in that fashion and I had my heart in my mouth thinking that they might drop it or grab a delicate part and break it.

I told my wife I am going to walk up to the owner to alert him and as I approached the guy I asked him are you the owner of the Monster to which he acknowledged and I told him that it is getting towed away. To my surprise the guy was relaxed as if I was playing a prank and was like ok and continued sipping his coffee. Maybe he would have thought that no way they can lift up such a heavy bike when there are so many other smaller bikes to be towed. But he did give in to the curiosity later and got up to check on his bike by when it had already been taken away and he was really confused thinking and trying to digest the fact that his Monster was actually towed away.

Quote:
What they have not learned/taught when they are kids they are not gonna learn now. They have bigger problems than to worry/respect other people's property, sadly for most people that's how they act.

Cheers
Krishna
Yes, that's true. But making them aware of their foolishness will always be better for everyone and hence I always go and speak up to such people.
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 17:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I told my wife I am going to walk up to the owner to alert him and as I approached the guy I asked him are you the owner of the Monster to which he acknowledged and I told him that it is getting towed away. To my surprise the guy was relaxed as if I was playing a prank and was like ok and continued sipping his coffee. Maybe he would have thought that no way they can lift up such a heavy bike when there are so many other smaller bikes to be towed. But he did give in to the curiosity later and got up to check on his bike by when it had already been taken away and he was really confused thinking and trying to digest the fact that his Monster was actually towed away.
Wow I also thought they wouldn't touch superbikes. Maybe only something like a gold wing is safe. Any tow truck guy risking lifting such a bike probably deserves compensation.

My friend had a Harley 883 and while that's the cheapest Harley he used to boast to me that no tow company dared touch his bike. Though thanks to the low seat height was a magnet for kids wanting to take selfies and for all sorts of people sitting on the bike.

However his luck has run out these days as tow guys now put a yellow clamp on your bike and any bike or car no matter how expensive is fair game. He has since switched to his Activa now for short runs.
bf1983 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 17:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
. He has since switched to his Activa now for short runs.
I am laughing so much on reading this comment. I am literally using my friend's Activa for past few days. Given the current situation in Delhi + the heat, for any urgent work, the Activa is my new baby. Rest of my bikes are snoozing in the garage, and my Hypermotard, I think I will get back in June or July. Depends on when the dealership opens up.

Last edited by no_fear : 30th April 2021 at 17:47.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@No_fear and @neil.jericho and other experienced riders, does anyone have experience with clip on handle bar raisers in a bike like Panigale which has handling as one of it's major positive.

I was checking on internet and came across this product, it raises the handle bar by up to 6 inches and would actually help during touring. It is a bit expensive, but I am guessing should make the bike easier to ride on highways.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
@No_fear and @neil.jericho and other experienced riders, does anyone have experience with clip on handle bar raisers in a bike like Panigale which has handling as one of it's major positive.

I was checking on internet and came across this product, it raises the handle bar by up to 6 inches and would actually help during touring. It is a bit expensive, but I am guessing should make the bike easier to ride on highways.
Wouldn't this mess up the rider's triangle? The legs/rearsets also need to be adjusted then I guess.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 19:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Wouldn't this mess up the rider's triangle? The legs/rearsets also need to be adjusted then I guess.
AtheK, Yes I will recommend it, as it helps in turning. Your fingers wont get caught between the headlight fairing and the handle bar. However Krishna is right, you will need to adjust your rearsets.

The product you sent a link for, it has the handle bars too. Instead of paying for the bars also, you can just get the clamp for cheaper and re-use the Ducati factory bars. You may have to search online for just the clamps.

Do note that if you want to take the 959 to the track, then I do not recommend using the raised handle bars. It doesn't suit the rider geometry and you will have difficulty tucking in. It's just uncomfortable.

However if you are not planning track days, buy the whole package, and sell your factory handle bars to Ducati dealer. They can re-use it any other rider who will need it.

Last edited by no_fear : 30th April 2021 at 19:07.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 19:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

AtheK, 6 inches seems to quite a big jump and will change your rider triangle substantially.

Woodcraft is pretty popular with the Street Triple community for thier lowered clip-ons that makes track going easier. Their products are supposed to be really good. If you go to their site and do a filter on the 959, you do get a few products like a clip on riser and a couple of spacer kits. Prices seem reasonable.

I dont know of anyone who has used it on the 959 though and how it has impacted handling.

krishnaprasadgg's suggestion of rear sets is quite good. Again, Woodcraft has you sorted with a full set. There are only 2 issues. It is possible only with the GP shift. And the eye watering price. I hope your better half isnt keep track of this thread!
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 19:07   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Krishna
Agreed the rider triangle will take an impact, as the rear set is still at same place, but how bad would it be when it comes to the fact that we are talking only cruising speeds. In this scenario you are not looking to attack corners, but go easy with the intent being to give the back some rest.

I have no idea working with handle bar raisers as I generally like to stick to Stock setup. This is not a deal breaker, but we were discussing to do a ride to Goa, and with around 650 KMs to cover, eventually the back will require some rest. Now the usual morning rides are not an issue at all, just looking at ways how this can be made even more versatile. The description also states that some modification might be required based on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
AtheK, 6 inches seems to quite a big jump and will change your rider triangle substantially.

Woodcraft is pretty popular with the Street Triple community for thier lowered clip-ons that makes track going easier. Their products are supposed to be really good. If you go to their site and do a filter on the 959, you do get a few products like a clip on riser and a couple of spacer kits. Prices seem reasonable.

I dont know of anyone who has used it on the 959 though and how it has impacted handling.

krishnaprasadgg's suggestion of rear sets is quite good. Again, Woodcraft has you sorted with a full set. There are only 2 issues. It is possible only with the GP shift. And the eye watering price. I hope your better half isnt keep track of this thread!
Thanks Neil, I shall definitely take a look. Yes 6" is extreme but they have different settings. Maybe a compromise can be found by trying different riding settings. This thought process is now again being sowed in due to Lockdown and a relatively free Friday evening. Guess no harm to discuss. I tried searching on YouTube, but something specific to Panigale does not seem to have been tried.

Luckily wife is not tracking this site, and I hope it stays that way

Quote:
AtheK, Yes I will recommend it, as it helps in turning. Your fingers wont get caught between the headlight fairing and the handle bar. However Krishna is right, you will need to adjust your rearsets.

The product you sent a link for, it has the handle bars too. Instead of paying for the bars also, you can just get the clamp for cheaper and re-use the Ducati factory bars. You may have to search online for just the clamps.

Do note that if you want to take the 959 to the track, then I do not recommend using the raised handle bars. It doesn't suit the rider geometry and you will have difficulty tucking in. It's just uncomfortable.

However if you are not planning track days, buy the whole package, and sell your factory handle bars to Ducati dealer. They can re-use it any other rider who will need it.
Thanks no_fear, let me research a bit on this. The advantage of the one I sent was that we can set it back to factory setting pretty quickly, so going to track or moving back to old setting should be fairly quick. Let me do some more research on this topic. Food for weekend.

Quote:
Athek, with the raised handlebars, you are not hunched forward and leaning into the bike. Your body is a bit more upright and your shoulders are relaxed. However if the rearsets are not adjusted, you are now putting more weight on your lower body and the legs with the new setting. You end up getting thigh cramps on long rides.
Guess you will quickly make me change my plans to think of something else for the weekend.

Last edited by AtheK : 30th April 2021 at 19:23.
Old 30th April 2021, 19:20   #40
BHPian

Athek, with the raised handlebars, you are not hunched forward and leaning into the bike. Your body is a bit more upright and your shoulders are relaxed. However if the rearsets are not adjusted, you are now putting more weight on your lower body and the legs with the new setting. You end up getting thigh cramps on long rides.

Apologies but wanted to add in a few notes. I forgot about this. If you want to do track days, do note the added costs.

1. You need to change the coolant to distilled water. It helps with the circulation and heat dissipation. Regular coolant is not suitable for track use. Plus, if the coolant leaks onto the track, then it causes the track to get slippery and poses a danger to riders. You then need to flush out the distilled water and add regular coolant at the end of track session.

2. You will need to do a full desmo service after each track day. The Ducatis in India get into bad shape because owners take them to the track, race several laps and then don't do the desmo service.

The costs add up significantly, so bear this in mind if you become a track regular.

Last edited by no_fear : 30th April 2021 at 19:37.
no_fear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 19:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will need to do a full desmo service after each track day. The Ducatis in India get into bad shape because owners take them to the track, race several laps and then don't do the desmo service.

The costs add up significantly, so bear this in mind if you become a track regular.
Wow, this is something new to me. That would easily push a track day cost to a lac+ if you include tyres/pads as well.

But, what is the interval for a Desmo service or depends on usage? Any especially after a track day? Because of the constant limits the bike is ridden at? Can you please expand further...
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 20:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. You need to change the coolant to distilled water. It helps with the circulation and heat dissipation. Regular coolant is not suitable for track use. Plus, if the coolant leaks onto the track, then it causes the track to get slippery and poses a danger to riders. You then need to flush out the distilled water and add regular coolant at the end of track session.

2. You will need to do a full desmo service after each track day. The Ducatis in India get into bad shape because owners take them to the track, race several laps and then don't do the desmo service.

Wow, that as noted by SnS_12 is quite a bit of expense. Where as coolant expense is not too much to digest a Desmo service after every track day seems to be quite a deterrent. That as noted below is going to make a Single track day really expensive. I would maybe in such a scenario better off hiring a bike, then push my own bike to such limits, with an obvious danger of crashing the bike too. A small fall might push the overall cost of a track day upward of 2+ lacs in such a scenario.

Quote:
Wow, this is something new to me. That would easily push a track day cost to a lac+ if you include tyres/pads as well.

But, what is the interval for a Desmo service or depends on usage? Any especially after a track day? Because of the constant limits the bike is ridden at? Can you please expand further...
Interval of Desmo is 24,000 KMs in case of Panigale, but the above information is quite a bit of eye opener. Waiting to hear more about the same as well.

Last edited by AtheK : 30th April 2021 at 20:11.
Old 30th April 2021, 20:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I would maybe in such a scenario better off hiring a bike, then push my own bike to such limits, with an obvious danger of crashing the bike too. A small fall might push the overall cost of a track day upward of 2+ lacs in such a scenario.
Sorry, I did not mean to scare you guys, let me elaborate below.

1. Desmo service is every 24,000 km as AtheK says. It used to be every 15,000 km or every 5 years, but now its every 24k.

2. Track days have several connotations. They are the following

a) A rider experience, where you ride for 15 - 20 minutes and get a good overview of what track riding is all about. Ducati markets this as DRE (Ducati Riding Experience) at Buddh Circuit in Delhi. That's about 3 - 5 laps, depending on your bike speed. No desmo service needed here due to the short span.

b) You have a track experience, where you ride for 1 hour (each session is 15 mins). A bit more exhaustive. This is what most riders participate in.

c) You have a half or full day track - ride in the morning, have lunch, ride in the afternoon.

C) is where you need to do a full Desmo service at the end of the session. It is needed because of the high strung nature of the L twin engine + the added wear and tear from the track day session. You are riding the bike for a good 1000 - 2000 km in a day in race settings and throwing everything at it.

I am assuming that if you do track days, you will do option b) or c).

With B) you do not need to do a Desmo service every time, but you will have to do a Desmo service after 5 - 6 sessions. You can push it a bit more, but not advisable.

Furthermore, the 899 / 959 / 1199/ 1299 series has one niggle. The water pump gearing is made of composite and wears out if you do continuous track days. The gearing + water pump assembly costs about 15k INR, but the water pump assembly is tucked deep inside, so you have to dismantle the entire bike to replace the parts. That service costs 50k INR. Those who take the Panigale to the track purely for race use switch to a metal gearing to avoid this.

I have taken a picture from the internet to show how the sprocket looks and the damage on it.

I hope this helps. Also you will need to get new tires as the Super Corsa wear out fast on the track.

My friends living overseas specifically use thrashed or damaged bikes purely for track purposes, so as not to harm their regular ones. If you take the Panigale to the track regularly, yes the costs will add up very fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold-water-pump-damage.jpg  

Last edited by no_fear : 30th April 2021 at 20:50.
no_fear is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 21:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Furthermore, the 899 / 959 / 1199/ 1299 series has one niggle. The water pump gearing is made of composite and wears out if you do continuous track days. The gearing + water pump assembly costs about 15k INR, but the water pump assembly is tucked deep inside, so you have to dismantle the entire bike to replace the parts. That service costs 50k INR. Those who take the Panigale to the track purely for race use switch to a metal gearing to avoid this.

I have taken a picture from the internet to show how the sprocket looks and the damage on it.

I hope this helps. Also you will need to get new tires as the Super Corsa wear out fast on the track.
Man. This is really some Big $$$ knowledge that you have let loose on this thread. People think buying an Italian two wheeler is a real challenge (buying cost) but clearly that is the easy part when you look at the maintenance/running cost and doing a 1 hour track session means you are really experiencing owning a Ferrari on two wheels cost wise ��

And, here I used to think of only tyre and brake pad cost over and above booking a track day and transporting the bike.

Guess, its better to do track sessions to improve your lines and use them to ride these track focused beasts on the streets unless one has really deep pockets and the heart to spend that kind of $$$.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st May 2021 at 07:25. Reason: Mod note attached.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 21:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I did not mean to scare you guys, let me elaborate below.

b) You have a track experience, where you ride for 1 hour (each session is 15 mins). A bit more exhaustive. This is what most riders participate in.

I am assuming that if you do track days, you will do option b) or c).

With B) you do not need to do a Desmo service every time, but you will have to do a Desmo service after 5 - 6 sessions. You can push it a bit more, but not advisable.
This is an amazing post.

I have to definitely start at A and then switch to B eventually. I have never been to a track before. Thanks for clarification.

Quote:
1 hour track session means you are really experiencing owning a Ferrari on two wheels cost wise ��
Guess now we know why so many call Ducati an equivalent of Ferrari in cars

Quote:

And, here I used to think of only tyre and brake pad cost over and above booking a track day and transporting the bike.
That was my thought too, but the post has been an eye opener and in a good way too. Thanks to this information, I will not sound like a total idiot if I get pulled into any such discussion.

Last edited by AtheK : 30th April 2021 at 21:50.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks