Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Back to MV, how was your experience with Motoroyale Bangalore when you went shopping for the F3. I am interested to know.
This was several years ago, so my memory is a little hazy. As far as I can recall, the experience was exactly what I expected it to be. The salesperson was polite and said that he would help arrange for a test ride later. He never did. I obviously didnt fit into their typical customer profile of having big pockets, flashy cars, friends with litre class superbikes and active social media accounts.

The lack of a service center in Bangalore was a complete deal breaker for me. So, I never really pursued it further.

To put some context to this, Kawasaki, Ducati, BMW and Suzuki dealers in Bangalore never used to give out test rides at that time. If you want it, buy it was the mantra. So it was par for course for the, then prevailing, market conditions.

I wouldnt read too much into my solitary experience with MV though. I was probably the only potential customer who had walked into their showroom all week.

Quote:
The reason I am asking - I found out that MV has service and afterparts contract with Motoroyale, and if I want to bring a new MV bike to India, I have to do it through Motoroyale.

We discussed in the motorcycle thread that Motoroyale went belly up, but the Pune office is still functioning. I have never dealt with Motoroyale, and have only heard unpleasant things, so I would like to know the firsthand experience. You are the only person I know who has set foot in the Bangalore dealership, so it will be good to get unbiased feedback.
Didnt MV Augusta completely cut off ties with MV? I thought they did. Here is an excerpt from an Autocar India article from June 2020.

Quote:
"Timur Sardarov answered some questions. One of them was about its presence in India, to which he responded saying, "We broke our ties with MotoRoyale as there was constant misinterpretation of the contract. And we didn’t think they represented us in the right way. We are right now appointing a new partner to work with us.”
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
A unicorn in the city
What a stonker of a write up.
I literally read the opening post 4 - 5 times, while opening each picture in a separate tab. Thanks a ton for this write up and sharing the history of MV and your experience of plant tour and living with your F4RR.

That guy in Nirvana state shows how much passion flows through each component of MV bikes. Respect for the company !!

Though I have a soft corner for Aprilia, I think MV is now going to move up several notches in my aspirational buy list.

Over to the bike, I just love those pipes. The side stance of the bike looks just delicious. Wishing you many miles on this rare beauty and keep us posted on the updates.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was probably the only potential customer who had walked into their showroom all week. Didnt MV Augusta completely cut off ties with MV? I thought they did.
Ok seems to go with what I heard. Polite but useless.

Yes MV cut off ties, but Motoroyale still has an arrangement to provide after sales service for a few years. That is what I found out from the Pune dealer after contacting him initially for the OEM cam chain tensioner.

But if I were to buy a new bike from MV again, (the new SuperVeloce looks fantastic), I would have to import through Motoroyale, if MV doesn't enter India through another partner. That's what I think though. But this is just an academic exercise, I am not buying anything now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
I literally read the opening post 4 - 5 times, while opening each picture in a separate tab....keep us posted on the updates.
@nitinbhaskar - many thanks and glad to convert you from one religion (Aprilia) to the other. I will post updates. Still stuck waiting for the cam tensioner as customs hasn't cleared my package.

Last edited by no_fear : 2nd July 2021 at 11:48.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:54   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But if I were to buy a new bike from MV again, (the new SuperVeloce looks fantastic), I would have to import through Motoroyale, if MV doesn't enter India through another partner. That's what I think though. But this is just an academic exercise, I am not buying anything now.
I assume that MV has the after sales agreement with MotoRoyale as a place holder. The moment they get the right dancing partner, they will hand over end to end operations and completely cut all ties with the MotoRoyale group. I would wait for the cards to fall on the table before looking at a new MV.

Meanwhile, an Aprilia will be a very tasty addition to your garage. Both the Tuono and the RSV4 are proper riots. Just saying.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I assume that MV has the after sales agreement with MotoRoyale as a place holder.

Meanwhile, an Aprilia will be a very tasty addition to your garage. Both the Tuono and the RSV4 are proper riots. Just saying.
Spot on to both Mr. madman. I am a big Aprilia fan but have had no luck finding a decent Aprilia in NCR.

Aprilia sold more in Bangalore, and a few in Mumbai. So if I have to look for one, it means looking very exhaustively in Bangalore. If you find any leads, do tell me. There were a few good ones in Delhi, but I missed them out.
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
PS; need better pics than the ones at the tea shop mate! Let's do that soon too.

Cheers
Rohan
I just get so excited when someone talks about pictures!
Let me know will join you guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
This is an elite club supermodel!!

Rachit
you are such a magician with words, love it!
contact.nitin7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 13:37   #52
BHPian

The small pleasures of life.

1 month after ordering my manual chain tensioner, it has finally arrived at the FNG shop. It spent 2 weeks traveling from US to India and then another 2 weeks spinning across various post offices in NCR due to incomplete address. I was tracking it daily and had to go to the Delhi Foreign post office to provide the correct address and get it redelivered. Had to pay Rs 2,400 as customs duty. Still far cheaper and a better product than the factory OEM part. Now need to work on replacing the tensioner. Total cost was USD 145 + Rs 2,400 = Rs 13k. OEM is above Rs 30k.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img20210714wa0010.jpg

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-usps.jpg

Last edited by no_fear : 14th July 2021 at 13:45.
no_fear is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 18:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
The small pleasures of life.

1 month after ordering my manual chain tensioner, it has finally arrived at the FNG shop.
OT: Can we use such manual tensioner's in all bikes? I didn't know about this & just googled it. I believe it is an easy way out for bikes during a long ride where the chain gets slack in every 1000 to 1500kms.

Noob question: Can I install in my Ducati Multi 1260S? If so, it would really be a boon on my expeditions.

Also does it not cause power loss and what's the life of this component?

Too many questions, but me being me, please bear it.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 19:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sweet pipes of mine

Once you move past the rider and pillion seats, your eyes rest on that oh my lord sweet tail pipe. That is just pure s**. The F4 is the only bike where the factory exhaust is almost never switched out for custom pipes. The under-seat 4 organ pipes are a defining feature of the bike. Coupled with the single side swing arm, they make the bike look svelte, a sharp contrast from the bulky features on the front. This ying and yang becomes one juicy package. The pipes used to be cylindrical in the first generation models, but underwent a design change and are rectangular now. Opinion is sharply divided on the pipe geometry, but I like the new look, especially from the sides.
Man, I can never get enough of the organ pipes of the F4. The current pipes probably suit the angular and timeless design of the MV better. But phew, once you've seen the organ pipes, its tough to think about anything else.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-2008mvagustaf4r312d.jpg

I actually love the execution of that on the F3 800 better than the F4. Thats a story for another day though.

P.S - Happened to see an Aprilia Tuono for the first time, this week. It is amazing how its barely bigger than my Street Triple and yet is a litre class bike. An underrated marvel of modern engineering. Just saying .....

P.P.S - Is it too early to request for the next ownership thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
Ever since I saw one in the 2001 issue of BS Motoring, where it was unveiled at the Intermot Munich Motorcycle Show, the MV Agusta F4 750 Senna has been one of my dream bikes. Your bike is on another planet in terms of raw appeal.
I completely forgot about the Senna edition. What a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
But for me the most beautiful bikes ever built are in this order the F4 > Ducati 999 > Ducati 916. It might sound like sacrilege to many but hey what can you do!
How in the world did you squeeze in that 999 in between two all time legends? Complete sacrilege, to say the least.
neil.jericho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 20:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
OT: Can I install in my Ducati Multi 1260S? If so, it would really be a boon on my expeditions.
@Vasuki,

Ducati Multistrada engine uses timing belt and not chain. You replace the belts every 5 years or every 25000 km. The Desmo engine uses belts for power delivery and its very efficient.

Btw, I am talking about engine timing chain / belts. Not the chain that goes from the transmission shaft to the rear wheel.

You can use manual cam chain tensioner if your bike engine uses timing chain. A lot of dirt bikes and all the professional race bikes use manual cam tensioners.

Now, for the drive chain, which I believe you are talking about, for your Multistrada, if the chain is slack after 1000 km of riding, I have attached a step by step instruction for Multistrada DIY. If you have the tools with you, you can tighten the chain yourself.

https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/ducati-...ent-indexb146/

Quote:
Man, I can never get enough of the organ pipes of the F4.......

I actually love the execution of that on the F3 800 better than the F4. Thats a story for another day though.

P.S - Happened to see an Aprilia Tuono for the first time, this week. It is amazing how its barely bigger than my Street Triple and yet is a litre class bike. An underrated marvel of modern engineering. Just saying .....

P.P.S - Is it too early to request for the next ownership thread

How in the world did you squeeze in that 999 in between two all time legends? Complete sacrilege, to say the least.
@Neil

You are a hard man to please. I am writing a restoration piece on the 1199R. Hope to get the first bits out soon. That should keep you happy.

The F3 truly has awesome pipes. I like the F3800 RC pipes and the Brutale Dragster ones.

Aprilia Tuono is one of my favorite bikes. I know that Bangalore has the most Tuonos in India, and I want to visit Bangalore to check out any Tuono for sale.

About the 999, I love that bike. Pierre Terblanche got a lot of hate for designing it, but that is one sexy puppy. It broke away from the usual cat eye Ducati look. It was way ahead of its times when it was released but is now definitely a looker. I have been looking out for a good 999 / 749 to buy but that's like finding a needle in a haystack. Sorry Neil, I share Krishna's view on this one. The 999 is truly a stunner.

Last edited by no_fear : 14th July 2021 at 21:02.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 20:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
OT: Can we use such manual tensioner's in all bikes? I didn't know about this & just googled it. I believe it is an easy way out for bikes during a long ride where the chain gets slack in every 1000 to 1500kms.

Too many questions, but me being me, please bear it.
I think you misunderstood it. He is talking about the cam chain tensioner and not the drive chain tensioner. Drive chain tensioners are also a thing but not really required unless you are running a dirt bike. If you need a tensioner for your drive chain for every 1k km you are much better replacing the chain/sprocket set itself.

Quote:
C'mon!! 999 is not a beautiful bike? I am ready to fight anyone who says it's not.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:59   #57
BHPian

Well the last 24 hours were eventful.

I kept the F4 with my FNG as I will get the tensioner replaced. I had to go to work yesterday (past few days WFH), so decided to ride the Brutale 1090RR. I had not ridden it a few days, and on cold start, it was being a bit whiny. Rode the bike to work. All was well. 12 hours later, when it was time to go home, I went down to fire the bike. And nothing........

Bike turns on, fuel pump gets primed, instrument panel runs all checks and then the bike doesn't crank. What happened!! I cannot figure it out. Panic set in. The battery is brand new and lights + signals all turn on. I was stumped. I tried a few times but nothing.

Ran a few scenarios in my head and started hoping its possibly some connection gone loose, issue with fuel line, or some electrical fault. The battery can also be a problem but its remote. The bike was working 12 hours ago and now nothing. It was already late, so I kept it in the office, and asked a friend if I can crash at his place for the night. Told my parents, I won't be back home.

My FNG arranged for a tow truck, and it came today morning. Rode with the guy to my FNG. It was the ride of shame, with my Brutale at the back. I was really morose. In my heart I felt it was a major issue and now I have to shell out some serious $$$$.

My 24 /7 on call bike guru, aka, my older brother was consulted pronto.

Diagnosis in 5 minutes...

Me: These Italian bikes are so finicky. I am really stressed, haven't slept well.
My brother: Om shanti!! Its one of the joys of owning a tempestuous Italian. Seen this fault before. It's either the clutch switch or the starter relay. Check those. Clean them out, put in new fuses, add in dielectric grease and you are golden.
Me: Can't be that easy. This is a big problem. Why do I keep buying these bikes. MV makes poor quality bikes... (keep ranting)
My brother: Chill dude. All bikes have issues. I have told you the solution. Go tell the FNG to check those 2. My money is on the clutch switch. It's loose. You have to pull the clutch even in neutral to start the bike, so the ECU is not sensing the complete circuit is closed, hence it won't let the bike start.
Me: Let's see... I am doubtful, can't be that simple a solution. This will be a complex issue.
My brother: Sigh, whatever. Peace out.

(My tiredness manifests in this selfie)

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img20210715wa0024.jpg

The shame of seeing the bike on a tow truck

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img20210715wa0025.jpg

One hour later, I pull up at the FNG. Started the checks. I was a bit skeptical of what my brother told me, but asked the FNG to check the clutch switch.

Lo and behold, the connector points were rusted. He pulled out the points, cleaned them out, changed the fuses, and bike fired up. Halleujah!!!

The connector points had rusted.

Since I was there, I added engine ice, checked the battery, checked the wiring. All is well.

FNG diagnosis: Bro, you need to ride your bikes more. They don't like moisture and sitting. The more you ride, the better they are.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img20210715wa0026.jpg

What pleasant words to hire from the bike doctor. I am guilty. Lockdown, summer, monsoon, it has all added up to inertia and lethargy for me. I will shake it off and go out for a long ride. I take back the statement that MVs are finicky. They are rock solid bikes that need massive TLC. Now I need to go home, take a shower and sleep. And say thanks to my brother.

Will start work on the F4 this weekend. For those of you following this thread, owning an Italian bike is harder work than marriage. At least that's how I feel.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img20210715wa0027.jpg

Total damage: Rs 5,000 (1,500 for towing; 3,500 for engine ice. Bike check complimentary. Still cheaper than a dinner date )

This is a bit of a sidetrack as the thread is for my F4. The Brutale has the same engine so the maintenance and the TLC will be similar to the F4.

Last edited by no_fear : 15th July 2021 at 15:13.
no_fear is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 15:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

I hope you don't plan to marry soon, as with so many temperamental Italians in the garage, you would need to have a 7 day weekend

Before marriage most weekends and at times even on weekdays I used to spend time at my friends workshop, working and trying new stuff on my two strokes. My RX especially used to get serviced every month as I used to do close to 3k kms a month and this continued for 4 years at a stretch before my work location changed and commutes were strictly in the local train.

Riding has now significantly reduced over the years and these two strokes especially the ones with an extra cylinder (RD) don't like standing idle and after every monsoon I just pray I am able to ride it to the workshop for some TLC and not like this.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img_0282.jpg

Hence, I have given up my dream of owning a RD 350 as I don't want any temperamental two strokes anymore, because I can't ride them often. And since I don't ride in the monsoon for big bikes I stick to Japanese, which are ok with engine idling every fortnight for those four odd months to keep the engine internals lubricated and battery healthy.

When I have the time to ride I just want to ride my bikes peacefully, which is only possible on the Busa and the RX as the RD's you have to keep checking both cylinders are firing, any unusual sound, smoking adequately and most importantly no fuel leaks. But when that parallel twin is in its element the feeling is like nothing else

P.s - Looking at your ownership threads the ones reading it who take the Italian plunge, would definitely need the contact details of your elder brother. Also, what's happening with the Busa in the background?

Last edited by SnS_12 : 15th July 2021 at 15:38.
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I hope you don't plan to marry soon, as with so many temperamental Italians in the garage, you would need to have a 7 day weekend

Looking at your ownership threads the ones reading it who take the Italian plunge, would definitely need the contact details of your elder brother. Also, what's happening with the Busa in the background?
Sachin, not married unfortunately. I was seeing someone, but it didn't work out. Apparently I spend too much time on bikes and not on her. That's the excuse. And it's ok. I tried to meet some ladies from Mumbai but they told me they don't want to move to Delhi. If you know anyone who doesn't mind meeting a bike mad bald guy, I am game. Maybe team-bhp can offer matrimonal services too.

The Busa also getting it's annual service done. The owner is having the throttle body checked, fluid changed and I think also forks + some accessories. Didn't ask much as I was really too tired.

It's always a sorry sight to see a bike on a truck. Something about that image, the helplessness of the bike, it eats me up. I am being overly dramatic but that's my 2 cents. I know how you feel. This whole keep turning engine on to keep the bike in working condition is sheer pain. Especially when you have lockdown, threats of more lockdowns, monsoon, scorching summers. I understand why people want hassle free rides. Who in their right mind wants to be bff with tow truck wala, FNG and spend a whole weekday at a garage.

My brother spends more time on stocks and his dogs. Doubt he would have the patience to join a forum. If Italian bike owners need help, I can be the messenger. Always good to learn about new problems and the solutions.

Last edited by no_fear : 15th July 2021 at 16:25.
Old 15th July 2021, 16:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sachin, not married unfortunately. I was seeing someone, but it didn't work out. Apparently I spend too much time on bikes and not on her. That's the excuse. And it's ok. I tried to meet some ladies from Mumbai but they told me they don't want to move to Delhi. If you know anyone who doesn't mind meeting a bike mad bald guy, I am game. Maybe team-bhp can offer matrimonial services too.
Oops.. My friends always use to tell my wife before our marriage that motorcycles will always be his first love .. Also, I am not that good at playing cupid, but maybe you might want to try getting a conversation going with some female moto vloggers to keep the Single Sided Garage (S.S.G) intact and growing. Getting a partner who would understand this passion is of utmost importance for a healthy marriage/garage.

Quote:
The Busa also getting it's annual service done. The owner is having the throttle body checked, fluid changed and I think also forks + some accessories. Didn't ask much as I was really too tired.
On the Busa too you need to pull in the clutch to start it up and I am always careful, while cleaning the handle not to damage the sensor or the delicate wiring around it. Other thing to clean and check is the side stand switch as the bike will cut off when put in gear if its not able to relay the correct position of the stand. Maybe a can of WD40 is what you should apply to keep the moisture and rust at bay?

Last edited by SnS_12 : 15th July 2021 at 16:38.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks