Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 11:15   #346
BHPian

Re: How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Forum members - any idea how to repel this miscreant's actions. I applied Gandhiji principles (aka Munnabhai part 2) but it's not working
Maybe try dousing the area with pepper spray. The dog might find it uncomfortable and associate that area with a no-go zone.

I love animals as much as any normal human being. But when some low life (meant as an attack on his character not his financial or social status) has no qualms about using his dog as a tactical poop weapon, I would forget that the dog is an unwilling accomplice.

Besides, like one other member mentioned it might actually be the dog that gets you out of this conundrum.

Obviously try this after you have exhausted other means like talking to the individual in question one on one, publicly asking him to stop doing it on your apartment WhatsApp group(people like these tend to care about their public image more than trying to be decent human beings) and then lodging a formal complaint (if possible) with the apartment MC.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:59   #347
BHPian

@ Krishna, Axe, Sheel, Jithin

Our building underground parking lot is quite big and does not have enough cctv cameras. The spot where I park my bikes has none. (I installed one previously - that story is in another post above)

Security guards told me that the only dog owner + dog they have seen enter the basement car park is the German Shepherd.

I have never met the owner before, and I don't know what time he comes to walk his dog. Usually dog owners walk their dogs at an open playground near our building complex.

I have taken it up with building management already. I do not have any video evidence showing that particular dog is the culprit. I even checked to see if any stray dogs have entered the basement car park before I accuse someone.

Jithin - The pepper spray is a last resort idea. I am an animal lover, and not too fond of using this method, but you are correct. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 16:07   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

no_fear, could it be stray cats?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 06:56   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
no_fear, could it be stray cats?
No Neil, dog and cat poo are different in smells and size. I have had both dogs and cats before in my household. Before the thread devolves into a forensic investigation of animal poo, latest update - security staff have told off the offender not to carry out such nuisance. Let's see how long this holds for.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 09:40   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
The pepper spray is a last resort idea. I am an animal lover, and not too fond of using this method, but you are correct. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
Dogs are not too fond of pleasant scents. After the next clean-up, try spraying a generous amount of diluted scented cleaning lotion around the bike and over the bike cover. Keep a car perfume under the bike cover too. Preferably citrus/orange scents and need not be too strong a scent.

They tend to excrete wherever they smell excreta.

Last edited by crdi : 16th June 2021 at 09:48.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 18:22   #351
BHPian

How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India-20220116_134723.jpg

Got this used 2018 690 Duke for 5100$ + taxes. 5000km on the odo. Ordered all the parts to replace what is a bit scratched. 70hp on the wheel and a dry weight of 148.5 kg. Phenominal power to weight ratio.

Another relic along side my DR650SE and a blast to ride.
iron.head is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:17   #352

Hey guys,

So I was seeking some help, I was planning to buy a new bike. I have a KTM 390 and now wanted to move to a slightly higher CC motorcycle.

I was confused between the Ducati Scrambler con and the Triumph Street Twin. They have a limited edition Ec1 version available with a showroom near me.

I test rode both the vehicles, while the Scrambler feels more peppy and fun to ride, has a slightly upright posture the Street twin is more relaxed and comes with some advanced electricals like rain mode etc.

Staying away from the Trident as it did not feel as good as the 2 bikes mentioned above. The Street twin scrambler was a choice that I had made before I visited the showroom. The guy at the Triumph showroom told me that the exhaust position of the street scrambler makes it very uncomfortable and quite risky for the pillion as the heat cover does not quite extend to the entire length of the exhaust.

I would love to hear from you guys as that would help me make a decision.
astrik.treks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:56   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrik.treks View Post
Hey guys,

I ride a Street Twin and here's my take:

The Street Twin is an absolute gem of a motorcycle and will keep the rides interesting. While it may be interesting, it may not be as exciting as riding a Scrambler 1200, T120, even a Ducati Scrambler or a Versys 650.

It is very easy to outgrow the Street Twin and the itch-to-upgrade grows fast on You.

My suggestion would be to take longer test rides (+50 or 100kms) and choose which suits Best for You.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 24th March 2022 at 15:00.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 19:48   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I ride a Street Twin and here's my take:

The Street Twin is an absolute gem of a motorcycle and will keep the rides interesting. While it may be interesting, it may not be as exciting as riding a Scrambler 1200, T120, even a Ducati Scrambler or a Versys 650.

It is very easy to outgrow the Street Twin and the itch-to-upgrade grows fast on You.

My suggestion would be to take longer test rides (+50 or 100kms) and choose which suits Best for You.
Yes a longer ride on both the motorcycles would be something that will get me closer to making a decision.

Was just a bit skeptical about the Ducati icon as it misses on the modes and lack of traction control.

Though I understand that off-roading would anyway require me to switch off traction control, but I would be riding on tarmac more than off road is what I know.

So the missing traction control is playing on my mind when it comes to assisted safe ride. But having said that may be not having traction controls makes the ducati scrambler more exciting.

But thank you for your inputs, will try to check if I can borrow a friend’s bike for a longer ride.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2022 at 06:52. Reason: i—> I & other minor typos.
astrik.treks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 22:18   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I was seeking some help, I was planning to buy a new bike. I have a KTM 390 and now wanted to move to a slightly higher CC motorcycle.

I was confused between the Ducati Scrambler con and the Triumph Street Twin. They have a limited edition Ec1 version available with a showroom near me.

I test rode both the vehicles, while the Scrambler feels more peppy and fun to ride, has a slightly upright posture the Street twin is more relaxed and comes with some advanced electricals like rain mode etc.

Staying away from the Trident as it did not feel as good as the 2 bikes mentioned above. The Street twin scrambler was a choice that I had made before I visited the showroom. The guy at the Triumph showroom told me that the exhaust position of the street scrambler makes it very uncomfortable and quite risky for the pillion as the heat cover does not quite extend to the entire length of the exhaust.

astrik.treks, welcome to the forum! We already had a very detailed discussion on the Ducati Scrambler vs the Street Twin (vs the Royal Enfield twins) earlier on the forum. Do give that a read.

The Street Twin Scrambler is not a practical option. It would be prudent to stay away from it, unless you are looking at a pure lifestyle motorcycle.

From my experience, if it isnt a big 100+ BHP motorcycle, you probably dont need to worry too much about riding modes, or not having them. Ive been riding my Triumph Street Triple 675 for 3.5 years, without having the ability to switch between any modes. Not once have I ever found myself wishing that my bike had different riding modes.

If you do buy the Scrambler, keep aside some money for the eventual wallet busting Desmo service. Other than that, it can easily come down to which bike makes you smile more. Happy shopping!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 00:56   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Yes a longer ride on both the motorcycles would be something that will get me closer to making a decision.

Was just a bit skeptical about the Ducati icon as it misses on the modes and lack of traction control.

Though I understand that off-roading would anyway require me to switch off traction control, but I would be riding on tarmac more than off road is what I I know.

So the missing traction control is playing on my mind when it comes to assisted safe ride. But having said that may be not having traction controls makes the ducati scrambler more exciting.

But thank you for your inputs, will try to check if i can borrow a friends bike for a longer ride.
Out of the two motorcycles I have only ridden the Street Twin. It was a bit too small for me but I loved the torque on offer. The engine was well behaved and never heated up badly even though I rode it only in the city. That said I doubt you will miss modes on such bikes as they don't have a scary power delivery.

The Ducati is a bit different from what I read. It has a more aggressive power delivery with a rather snappy throttle response and is a bit of a hooligan to ride. The main issue with the Ducati is that it's an air cooled engine which will roast your legs unless you have good quality riding pants.

Oh yes as Neil mentioned at around 30k kms mark you will need to do a desmo service which will set you back around 50k!
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 04:11   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
astrik.treks, welcome to the forum! We already had a very detailed discussion on the Ducati Scrambler vs the Street Twin (vs the Royal Enfield twins) earlier on the forum. Do give that a read.

The Street Twin Scrambler is not a practical option. It would be prudent to stay away from it, unless you are looking at a pure lifestyle motorcycle.

From my experience, if it isnt a big 100+ BHP motorcycle, you probably dont need to worry too much about riding modes, or not having them. Ive been riding my Triumph Street Triple 675 for 3.5 years, without having the ability to switch between any modes. Not once have I ever found myself wishing that my bike had different riding modes.

If you do buy the Scrambler, keep aside some money for the eventual wallet busting Desmo service. Other than that, it can easily come down to which bike makes you smile more. Happy shopping!
Thank you so much for the welcome and for helping me with the link to the post that almost gave me all answers to what i was looking for..gonna spend some good time reading the all the posts on that thread.

Going by your words, I think that the riding modes should not be a deal breaker.

I think the Ducati Scrambler did get me wanting to ride more. I am slowly kind of discovering my inclination towards the Ducati Scrambler.

Yes, Desmo A to be done after 12000kms and Desmo B to be done after 24000kms. I am trying to understand how much would these cost. Though I have factored this (to some extent) so not really a worry expect for the fact that I will have to pit it in the service station quite frequently as other than the Desmo services the interval for time services remain to be 12 months (which i guess is quite standard across all brands now).
astrik.treks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 04:19   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Out of the two motorcycles I have only ridden the Street Twin. It was a bit too small for me but I loved the torque on offer. The engine was well behaved and never heated up badly even though I rode it only in the city. That said I doubt you will miss modes on such bikes as they don't have a scary power delivery.

The Ducati is a bit different from what I read. It has a more aggressive power delivery with a rather snappy throttle response and is a bit of a hooligan to ride. The main issue with the Ducati is that it's an air cooled engine which will roast your legs unless you have good quality riding pants.

Oh yes as Neil mentioned at around 30k kms mark you will need to do a desmo service which will set you back around 50k!
Yes! I completely concur with your thoughts on the power delivery and throttle response of both the bikes.

Again thanks, a good reassurance that ride modes won't be something I would miss, so I am letting go that criteria.

Yes, air cooled vs oil cooled will be a key factor, especially for riding in the city (though I must mention I already have a KTM).

Desmo service does it really cost 50k that probably what I end up paying for my BMW GT (4 wheeler)? I have asked the guy at the Ducati Showroom to give me an update on this. Will update here once I hear from him.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2022 at 06:56. Reason: Minor formatting; Capitalising I.
astrik.treks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 07:24   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes, air cooled vs oil cooled will be a key factor, especially for riding in the city (though I must mention I already have a KTM).

Desmo service does it really cost 50k that probably what I end up paying for my BMW GT (4 wheeler)? I have asked the guy at the Ducati Showroom to give me an update on this. Will update here once I hear from him.
Welcome to the forum Astrik.

Let me break this down into a few parts.

Requirements: what you’re looking for

I think it’ll be instructive to understand what you’re looking for in your upgrade from your KTM. The KTM 390 is a very rewarding bike to ride in itself. While I understand you’re looking for a bigger capacity bike, the Street Twin is a very different character than a KTM. So a few questions will be instructive before you decide what’s the best fit for this upgrade - this will better help forum members to provide more specific advise as well as help you narrow down what works well.

1. What usage:

City vs Highway vs on road touring vs off road adventures. What kind of riding mix do you see yourself undertaking. Solo vs pillion (in city vs touring) are other relevant factors in this regard.

If you’re looking for a purely city bike a scrambler style motorcycle may be quite impractical. If you’re off roading then that’s another matter - even there you should be aware that it can be quite pillion unfriendly. I think you mentioned later that you’ll be mostly Tarmac based but if you could list the overall usage in one place that would help.

If you’re touring, again, the Street Twin is perhaps more luggage friendly for long days of packing than a Scrambler.

Personally, I would enjoy riding a KTM 390 a lot more than a Street Twin. So please do consider what you’re really looking for through this upgrade. A street twin doesn’t have a visual standout factor, its very torquey but in its own way much calmer to ride than a KTM - will you really feel like you’ve moved to a “big capacity bike” in comparison depends on what you were looking for. I’d say even a Trident or sparingly used Street Triple would feel like proper big capacity upgrades coming from the KTM - more so than a Street Twin unless you’re consciously looking for a different type of motorbike.

2. What bike:

Every engine and bike set up has a different characteristic and what bike connects with you is an exclusively personal choice - and one that can never be made from paper specs but only a test ride. Once you’re past the above check point (usage), test ride and decide what works for you.

3. Budget.

Superbikes are generally expensive to own compared to many similar priced cars - that’s a fact. Some are cheap to buy and expensive to run; some expensive for both; some expensive to buy and cheap to maintain. Do assess whether your final choice lines up with the upkeep cost.

Ducatis I can definitely say will be far more expensive to maintain than a Triumph. From some recent conversations with the service team for my Multistrada, I can confirm that a Desmo service (required every 30k kms as per my understanding) can indeed cost an eye watering 60k or so. I haven’t inquired specifically for the Scrambler but it could well be in the 50 / 50k+ region I’m pretty sure - please do check on the service intervals and cost for that.

Look forward to getting more comprehensive insights into your usage in particular so more specific advise can be provided.

Some other bits:

Air cooled vs oil cooled: IMO I don’t believe this is as big a deal as its made out to be. Most manufacturers have factored their cooling requirements based on the bike they’ve built and I think if you like a particular bike overall, let oil cooled vs air cooled not be the reason to move to something different. Yes, some bikes heat up more than others (Ducatis for instance) so if you’re going to be doing a lot of riding in heavy traffic then only its worth considering but otherwise if this is a weekend machine, don’t let it have a disproportionate influence on your ultimate decision.

Riding modes:. I agree its not super critical on most bikes and again don’t let it unduly influence your decision if you otherwise like a bike. I do like whatever selectable options I can get and all things being equal its nice to have. But again, if you’re into normal road touring, then selectable riding modes on these entry level big bikes (specially when its mostly just rain vs road) isn’t a real deal breaker.

Hope this helps and happy shopping.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2022 at 07:26.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 12:30   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Let me break this down into a few parts.

Requirements: what you’re looking for

I think it’ll be instructive to understand what you’re looking for in your upgrade from your KTM. The KTM 390 is a very rewarding bike to ride in itself. While I understand you’re looking for a bigger capacity bike, the Street Twin is a very different character than a KTM. So a few questions will be instructive before you decide what’s the best fit for this upgrade - this will better help forum members to provide more specific advise as well as help you narrow down what works well.
Look forward to getting more comprehensive insights into your usage in particular so more specific advise can be provided.

Thank you so much for the detailed help. I will ponder on these questions for a couple of days. Perhaps, also meeting a friend who is lending me his Ducati Scrambler for a day.. so would get to ride for longer time.

Once again thank you so much for the help.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2022 at 14:30. Reason: Trimming quoted text.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks