Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2023, 18:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, now launched at 8.49 lakh

8.5! Phew! But I suppose for those who must have it, the price won’t be of any consequence really. Plus it’s figures play in the same territory as the CBR so I suppose it actually comes in a little cheaper. Nice that there are more options these days. I do wish the Transalp and/or the Tenere would be introduced though. It’s certainly the fastest growing category of leisure biking. One can dream..
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 23:14   #32
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki ZX4R breaks cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
If Kawasaki gets this bike to India they will never be able to justify its pricing. The high revving engine will be impractical to ride in most of our cities, even for weekend rides I am not sure it will bring in that much fun factor.
Actually, 4 cylinder engines with their continuous firing, can be ridden at extremely low speeds.
I'll give you a comparison between:-
ZX-25R (4 cylinder) vs Duke/RC 390 (single).
Both do a 0-60 in around 2.5 secs and 0-100 in around 5.5.
Both have a top speed of around 170 kmph.
The similarities end here.

With its single cylinder "torquey" engine, the 390 can't maintain anything below 65-70 kmph in top gear.
ZX25R does 25 kmph in top gear, all due to the continuous 4-cyl firing.

I admit, ZX25R is quite undergeared as it has more revs overall, while the 390 is geared higher, but still, we often underestimate the potential of multicylinder engines, we often consider them high revving tools with nothing in the bottom revs.
ZX 4R is launched and I hope it does great in the market, where Kawasaki is trying to find itself, far from Bajaj Auto.
Samarth 619 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

8.49 Ex-Showroom price might make it a very tough sell, though enthusiast will definitely be interested, seems will be a tough sell over Z900 which is just 70K expensive. In India displacement means a lot for a new superbike rider, and while ZX4R will be more fun to ride, thre is no doubt that Z900 is much more powerful bike and more versatile compared to ZX4R.

That said I hope it does well as I will be happy to buy one in the pre owned market, so more Kawasaki is able to sell them, higher the chance for me to get one.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 11:12   #34
BHPian

This bike is absolutely insane! With the RAM Air Intake, it makes the same amount of power as a Trident 660. Almost the same as the 4cyl Honda 650 (while being lighter).

It is priced in the stratosphere but if you look at it objectively, it will probably offer similar performance at similar price to the 2 above while making a noise thats soo soo good!

In a nation obsessed with Low-End Torque, this bike is the anti-thesis of what the majority prefers and loves (Guilty as charged). But I really hope I could at least get to ride one in its full glory just to experience what we have been missing out on all this while.

The 400cc segment has been cracked open starting from the 25HP Himalayan/Scram on one end of the spectrum and the 80HP ZX4R on the other with the KTMs/Ninja/Triumph/Aprilia(/Sherpa?) somewhere in the middle. There was a time not too far back when we bikers on our 2XXcc bikes desired and lusted after the possibility of having even a single option between those capacities, now we have so many that it feels a Buffet! What a time to be alive!
antz.bin is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 13:26   #35
BHPian

Nation obsessed with low end torque? Are you sure? To me, in this segment, it's a nation obsessed with the 'vroom vroom' sound, aka the inline 4 motor. The ZX4R has got this covered.
I think this bike won't appeal to a first time superbike buyer. That buyer would surely gravitate towards the bigger displacement options like the Z900 or the Street triples. This would appeal more to people who have had supersports before and have now moved on to the advs or bigger nakeds as they understand how utterly pointless the supersports are in India. However, they still long for that occasional guilty pleasure of hunching down tucked behind the flyscreen, throw their knee around on the occasional sweeping bends they encounter on their big burly advs so they know the stretch is smooth with no potholes/gravel. This bike may be a good nice addition to their stables for a once in a while brekker ride with their adv/tourer buddies on a supersport for a change

Last edited by doga : 12th September 2023 at 13:28.
doga is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 14:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
More then the ZX4R, they need to relaunch ZX6R here at a starting price of maybe 9.99 lacs.
ZX4r will be dead on arrival even at 7.99 Lacs price point, hardly anyone will buy it. This product is not for indian markets, there is no placement and no market.
You mean they should launch it at a discount for essentially a more expensive motorcycle? The ZX6R was launched at 10.49 ex in 2019. They should launch it at 12.49 ex realistically and still be doing numbers. Now Indians have woken up to the ZX6R, the used market is on fire if you know for the bike.

Coming to the ZX4R its launched at 8.49 ex as you would know. Most of the 'junta' would say it as overpriced, I will give a couple of perspectives-
1. It very well undercuts the CBR650R (and the 4R its a more desirable and fun bike as well)
2. The Street triple 675 when discontinued in 2017 produced 80ps and weighed a Kilo more than this bike and costed 10.5 lacs on road in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
The ZX6r has joined the rest of the 600cc super sports and has been permanently discontinued. It's still sold in countries that don't follow Euro 5 or BS6 emission standards. So the Yamaha R6, Honda CBR 600RR, Suzuki GSX-R600 and the Daytona are all discontinued in Europe thanks to higher emission norms.
Kawasaki has bought back the ZX6R for EU and rest of the world in 2023. It makes less HP than the earlier bike at 122hp but its not discontinued. Rather the ZX6R has an all new face. And Kawasaki may very well launch this bike here in India. Soon.
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 15:52   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post

Coming to the ZX4R its launched at 8.49 ex as you would know. Most of the 'junta' would say it as overpriced,

And it is the Junta which will eventually vote by there wallet, emotions one side and our love for bikes one side, business are run by numbers which this bike will most probably fail to achieve.

Yes it will be a collector and would hold it's value in resale market, that will mainly be fuelled by the fact that very few will sell to begin with. This will probably go the same route as ZX6R.

That said Kudos to Kawasaki to getting it our shores, this will be an amazing buy for who ever does buy it, I personally would have been happy if they had tried to atleast launch it at Introductory price of 7.49 or at best 7.99.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 19:17   #38
BHPian

Oh, I am so buying this! All the arguments about it being over priced are by the wayside. In the late 80s the Japanese big 4 went all out to showcase their technology prowess by introducing ultra tricked out (for that time) 4 cylinder 250cc bike; CBR250, FZR250, GSXR250, ZXR250. Yamaha also introduced the FZR400, which was universally hailed by the biking press as the finest handling sport bike in the world. We drooled over the pics of these bikes and wished we could own one. ZX4R is an echo of the bikes of that era. Own it will be owning a very special bike whose heritage can be traced back 35 years.
PratikPatel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 19:24   #39
BHPian

I wish Kawasaki launched the zx4rr at this price point ! At 8.49 lakhs, adjustable suspension on both ends would have made a good value proposition. Also the lime green color adds more bhp (just joking)
ChetanM6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 21:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Oh, I am so buying this! All the arguments about it being over priced are by the wayside. In the late 80s the Japanese big 4 went all out to showcase their technology prowess by introducing ultra tricked out (for that time) 4 cylinder 250cc bike; CBR250, FZR250, GSXR250, ZXR250. Yamaha also introduced the FZR400, which was universally hailed by the biking press as the finest handling sport bike in the world. We drooled over the pics of these bikes and wished we could own one. ZX4R is an echo of the bikes of that era. Own it will be owning a very special bike whose heritage can be traced back 35 years.
I am with you on this. This bike has a very strong shot at becoming a future classic. If I had the money and a spot for a 2nd sport bike, this would be right on top of my list. I for some reason do see myself ending up getting this at some stage of my life. This bike is about thrill, experience and fun at slower and saner speeds which works so well for our riding conditions. People who have scratched their bigger bike itch, this would make a lot of sense.

I really wish Kawi is able to sell a few of these.

The fact that it is here is a great thing and I personally have huge gratitude to Kawasaki for this.

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 23:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Good pricing IMHO - Just above the 68ps, twin cylinder Ninja 650 priced at 7.16L.

4 cylinder, 77ps and an absolutely unique Supersport- this one is totally worth it for fans. Its not for everyone anyways!

Even from competition- there is nothing available at this price bracket. With the Triumph Trident 660 priced at 8.12L, the 81ps Daytona 660 is likely to be priced around 9.5L ex showroom, I guess, when it becomes available next year.
Absolutely agree with you on the pricing, Dr CD.

A few weeks ago, when I heard little birdies chirping about this rumoured on-road pricing of Rs 10 to 11 lakhs, I half expected the majority of the motorcycling community to come out with the usual TBHP trope of "Dead on arrival", "DOA", "What is Kawasaki smoking" etc. But, I was happy to note that across different segments of the riding community, so many enthusiasts have come out saying the pricing is fair and that Kawasaki should be commended for not just producing the ZX4R but bringing it to India, as well.

This thought process reflects a maturity in the community, which to be honest, is often hard to find.

The Cochin showroom has already announced that they have received the 1st two bookings, pan-India. Im sure the other showrooms will have already started getting serious enquiries and bookings, as well.

In time, the ZX4R will likely mark a historic turning point in the evolution of the Indian motorcycling enthusiast community.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 09:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
At 8.49 lakhs, adjustable suspension on both ends would have made a good value proposition.
With you on this. For sure the pricing is on the higher side, but there is literally nothing like this in the market, so it is cool by me. But they should have given fully adjustable suspension for this on both ends for this market placement.
man_of_steel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 20:33   #43
BHPian

I look at this a bit differently. The base stock model gives an excellent platform to really trick this bike out. A rudimentary suspension will allow me to replace it with Ohlins aftermarket parts or even get a custom built & tuned suspension from K-Tech. The bike has tremendous potential. This bike has a very subdued tuning, a good FFE and ECU flash could yield as much as 10 to 15PS increase. With proper application one can reduce the kerb weight by about 15 kgs without any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
With you on this. For sure the pricing is on the higher side, but there is literally nothing like this in the market, so it is cool by me. But they should have given fully adjustable suspension for this on both ends for this market placement.

Last edited by PratikPatel : 13th September 2023 at 20:34.
Old 13th September 2023, 23:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
I look at this a bit differently. The base stock model gives an excellent platform to really trick this bike out. A rudimentary suspension will allow me to replace it with Ohlins aftermarket parts or even get a custom built & tuned suspension from K-Tech. The bike has tremendous potential. This bike has a very subdued tuning, a good FFE and ECU flash could yield as much as 10 to 15PS increase. With proper application one can reduce the kerb weight by about 15 kgs without any problem.
Not sure how is that a good thing. It means spending a lot more to get basic adjustability and the overall cost would run into used 6r and 10r prices.

I don't think this bike is overpriced by a big margin. It is on par with the pricing in different markets. For example in US, the RR is priced within 500USD of a Z900. It is certainly a heart buy than a head buy and I'm happy that it exists in our market. But at this price point they certainly could've given us at least the SE variant with fork preload adjustability. Since they are taking the effort to import it to our market.
Old 14th September 2023, 17:58   #45
BHPian

I applaud Kawasaki for getting this to our shores.
The pricing in my opinion is what we can expect for these enthusiast bikes, which is best used for track days, to extract the maximum bang for buck. It is powerful, light, fast, flickable and an in-line 4 will scream like a banshee when pushed, it would scream shriller than a 6R or a 10R.
I do not think its fair to compare this to a 650 or a Z900. The people who go for these 400, 600, 1000 R, bikes are of a different league.
Track day, track day is what comes to mind. Would love to see one of these used by other bikers on one of the track days at a Kari or MMRT, in the near future.

Cheerio!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks