Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, now launched at 8.49 lakh

The Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R was unveiled earlier this year. It is the brand's newest 4-cylinder sportbike and if the latest reports are anything to go by, it could be launched in India soon.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, now launched at 8.49 lakh-2023_kawasaki_ninja_zx4r_31176x588.jpg

The ZX-4R is powered by a 399cc 4-cylinder engine that revs to 15,000 rpm and produces 76 BHP @ 14,500 rpm and 37.6 Nm @ 12,500 rpm. The engine is mated with a 6-speed gearbox.

The ZX-4R features an upside-down fork at the front and a mono-shock at the rear, while braking is handled by dual 290 mm discs at the front paired with Nissin 4-piston calipers and a 220 mm disc at the rear. The bike comes with dual-channel ABS.

The ZX-4R comes equipped with a 4.3-inch digital instrument console with Bluetooth connectivity and has four riding modes: Sport, Road, Rain and Rider. A bidirectional quick-shifter is available as an option on the base model.

The report states that Kawasaki is unlikely to offer the ZX-4RR and SE models in India.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 13:06   #2
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, now launched at 8.49 lakh

Hard to tell if this one will do well or not .

Its going to be priced way above the other 400/500cc sports bikes. But India loves its inline-4s. And since the Benelli TNT600 is no longer on sale thanks to BS6, the ZX-4R will become the cheapest bike with that sweet sounding inline-4 engine.
lordrayden is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 13:44   #3
BHPian

This is not going to be a top seller, but it's going to be one of those niche products that will strike the chord with motorcycle enthusiasts. I was just reading some reviews online and it looks like this motorcycle is not like those regular 400cc bikes built to a price, but it's a proper track machine with the rear suspension almost similar to the zx 10r and even has superbike like brakes and feel. Thanks Kawasaki for still developing and producing low capacity 4 cylinders engines.
ChetanM6 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 14:27   #4
BHPian

This bike will be nuts (given smaller capacity in-line 4) - a hoot to ride on highways, with a potential to become collector's item in future. I'm betting on kawasaki to mess up the pricing though (given the record with ZX6R and the amount of duties this bike will attract being an import).

How I wish Kawasaki brought ZX25R (250 cc inline 4) to india - that bike is awesomeness personified.

Link to a short clip for screamer
LordSharan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 14:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
How I wish Kawasaki brought ZX25R (250 cc inline 4) to india - that bike is awesomeness personified.

Link to a short clip for screamer https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=K6c7RgXURS4
Yes, I too wish they brought the ZX-25R to India. Even with high duties, the smallest ZX-R could have been priced at around 5L, making it by far the most accessible 4 cylinder engine, and would have had a better chance at getting volumes.

Also, Kawasaki could have tried the CKD route to make it a bit more accessible. With the regular twin cylinder Ninja 400 priced above 5L, I expect this one to cost 8L when launched.
Old 5th September 2023, 15:34   #6
BHPian

This is going to be weirdly priced and an ultra niche product imo. Those low torque figures mean that the only place it'll feel like an inline 4 is on the highway, much like the CBR.
Who is the intended audience for this, I wonder?
There are a lot of twins available at the price point I'm expecting for this, and they're all much more well rounded than this one.
That howl at 16k rpm with an aftermarket exhaust would be to die for though I'm sure.
Aakarsh Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

6 lakh on the road, and this could fly off the shelves. If wishes were horses...

PS: At 9 lakh, why would anyone buy this? CKD this, Kawasaki!

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 5th September 2023 at 17:28.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 18:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
This bike will be nuts (given smaller capacity in-line 4) - a hoot to ride on highways, with a potential to become collector's item in future. I'm betting on kawasaki to mess up the pricing though (given the record with ZX6R and the amount of duties this bike will attract being an import).
You think the ZX6R pricing was messed up? It was 10.49 lacs ex. That is as cheap as it gets. Its sad how people did not buy it when it was on sale and have started buying only in the second hand market at inflated prices.

Coming to the ZX4R- Think about it- Its got more HP than the Triumph Street triple 675 variant that was in India. And it weighs a Kilo less with a cylinder more. The street triple sold for 10.5 lacs on road last.
The nearest competitor to the ZX4R if launched in India is the CBR650R whose power to weight ratio is poorer than this bike and in general the CBR is boring at best. (At least to me) and it retailed at 9.34 lacs ex.

Suddenly a 9 Lacs ex showroom for the ZX4R is not looking that bad for such an unique motorcycle no?

PS- I own a ZX6R that i exclusively ride at the racetrack and is amazingly reliable, and would love to own a ZX4R at whatever price south of 9 lacs.
jackofsome is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 19:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
6 lakh on the road, and this could fly off the shelves. If wishes were horses...

PS: At 9 lakh, why would anyone buy this? CKD this, Kawasaki!

Cheers,

Jay
6 lakhs on the road! Not even the Ninja 400 is for so less as its a bit more than 6 lakhs in most states.

This bike is almost 10k USD which is 8.3l in India. This will cross 10l on road if it's launched here
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

We are lucky that such a engineering marvel still exists in this day and age and the possibility of this being made available in India is just surreal especially if you look a little over a decade ago what were our options when it came to big displacement motorcycles.

With an Akra can this thing will sing all the way to it insane redline. Happy Days

SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
6 lakhs on the road! Not even the Ninja 400 is for so less as its a bit more than 6 lakhs in most states.

This bike is almost 10k USD which is 8.3l in India. This will cross 10l on road if it's launched here
I hope Kawasaki pull a Triumph with this one and surprise us pleasantly in that case.
Aakarsh Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 21:09   #12
BHPian

Comparing to prices between Thailand and India for Kawasaki Bikes,
  • Z900 is priced at 9.6LK INR in Thailand and 9.2 in India
Going by similar comparison,
  • Zx 4R is priced at 7.4LK INR in Thailand, we should be expecting the it to be priced around the same ballpark.
motorpsycho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 13:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh Gupta View Post
I hope Kawasaki pull a Triumph with this one and surprise us pleasantly in that case.
The Triumph scenario is completely different. For one the Triumph is made by Bajaj which is known for making inexpensive motorcycles. Second there are no duties on the Triumph because it is made here.

The Kawasaki Zx4r isn't made in India and has no localisation so it is subject to heavy duties which translate into much higher costs.
Old 6th September 2023, 13:56   #14
BHPian

I would expect this to be priced in the vicinity of the Ninja 650. Perhaps a tad bit higher in the high 7s ex-showroom. Anything lower than that would be a pleasant surprise in my opinion considering this will be a CBU.
Old 6th September 2023, 16:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
The Triumph scenario is completely different. For one the Triumph is made by Bajaj which is known for making inexpensive motorcycles. Second there are no duties on the Triumph because it is made here.

The Kawasaki Zx4r isn't made in India and has no localisation so it is subject to heavy duties which translate into much higher costs.
True. CKD route is the way to go then. No way anyone is buying this over a Z900 for instance, as this is expected to be priced in and around this ballpark.
Kawasaki would be competing with itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks