Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

View Poll Results: what is a better option
brand new shining comet 24 47.06%
7-10 year old 400 or a 600 cc (good condition ) 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2005, 10:39   #46
BHPian

What would the cost of owning a Comet be in comparison with that of an imported 400.

I'm asking the ownership costs, and servicing. I think a Comet would win that part easily, but would it really make for ease of ownership?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm seriously considering the comet.

Ravi
Old 14th April 2005, 13:56   #47
BHPian

i think it depends on how willing you are to take a risk .. with the comet you know exactly what you are getting. its brand new. its got warranty. its perfectly legal. its got great technology - vtwin engine, USD front forks, fat tyres, etc.. and i think its a STEAL at that price. with a 7 year or older bike there will always be a question mark.

Hyosung R&D team is basically engineers from japanese cos like honda, suzuki etc. its in hamamatsu japan. i read this in overdrive; and worldwide now hyosung is called the hyundai of 2 wheels. so i think its ok.

i know 3 people who are thrilled with their Aquilas. no prob.

so i vote for the Comet anyday.
Old 14th April 2005, 14:01   #48
BHPian

Thanks Sunil.

Getting off track a little, but are USD forks such a big deal? I think all bikes in the 1980s had them, my Suzuki Supra (1988) model has them!

How about an opinion about the Comet maintenance and upkeep from guys like RTech and others who own imports? Does any1 here own a Comet?
Old 14th April 2005, 14:02   #49
Team-BHP Support

Lets put it this way. If you are not really knowledgable about bikes and don't know what to look out for, then forget any used import in India. Atleast in the 3 lakh price range. You will end up with a lemon that looks ok but will give you nothing but problems.

The comet is a great bike for the price. If only they actually deliver it to their customers!!
Old 14th April 2005, 14:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Getting off track a little, but are USD forks such a big deal? I think all bikes in the 1980s had them, my Suzuki Supra (1988) model has them!
No, your Supra did not have USD's! They had plastic covers over the stancions to prevent dirt/dust from accumulating. Underneath they are regular RSU forks.

Also, the USD's on the Comet are there to add a bit of style to the bike. The forks themselves are basic ones with no adjustments. It would have made no difference if they are RSU or USD forks. But they sure look cool don't they!

Quote:
How about an opinion about the Comet maintenance and upkeep from guys like RTech and others who own imports?
Maintenance for all vehicles is the same. Parts for the Comet will be imported, just as parts for a 400 are. Things like brake pads, oil filters and other consumables are readily available and at reasonable prices.

For example, an oil filter for my 400 costs Rs.300. Brake pads Rs.900. I'm sure if you buy these same parts for a Comet from the dealers, they will be the same if not twice that amount.

But, the key here is to find a good bike. Like I mentioned, if you end up with a lemon, you're out of luck.
Old 14th April 2005, 15:06   #51
BHPian

if in good condition i would anyday prefer 600/400cc bike...
Old 14th April 2005, 16:19   #52
BHPian

like i said, i know 3 aquila owners., not comet owners but it should be indicative. i believe the spares are pretty inexpensive and nobody has yet made a complaint about maintenance. here s some indicative numbers i got:

oil filter - 50 odd rupees
pads - front and rear sets of 2 each - under 700
air filt - under 700

any comet owners here can reply?
Old 14th April 2005, 16:58   #53
Team-BHP Support

Which make are those filters and brake pads? I was quoting prices for good, branded makes.
Old 14th April 2005, 17:00   #54
BHPian

Thanks sunil and Rtech! This helps.

Any more details on the Comet is welcome. Read your review Rtech and found it quite interesting.

Sunil, could you ask your friends to post an ownership review of the Aquila? A review of bike ownership, costs of service, Kinetic's attitude towards Aquila/Comet ASS, would be quite useful and interesting I must say.
Old 14th April 2005, 17:15   #55
Team-BHP Support

hey sunil can you throw some light on the avalability of the parts as i have always heard that the kinetic after sales service is nothing to boast about .

ravi if you like the naked bike look and don't mind the sound of a inline four being ABSENT then just go in for the comet , i see no reaso for thinking twice .

even if you go for any of the vtwin imports a good condition one say about a decade old will not be below 2.5 lakhs , so just go in for this one blindly , but before you book your bike just make sure tey give you something in writing about the delivery schedule .

manson .
Old 14th April 2005, 17:25   #56
BHPian

Manson - generally service for any brand varies from dealer to dealer. the idea is to try n find a good dealer. IMHO, based on experience and feedback from others, the two wheeler manufacturers rank like this in service - 1. TVS/Kinetic 2. LML 3. BAJAJ AUTO 4. HONDA 5. HERO HONDA. Its true, Honda and Hero Honda service is the worst.

The good thing about kinetic is that you have a problem you can send them an email through their website and they are very good about responding. my friend had a problem with his scooter and the company immediately sent a service engineer and fixed it.
Old 14th April 2005, 17:50   #57
BHPian

I really would be confused if i was to decide between a comet and an older 400. If it were me, i would probably lean towards the older 400 though. Only if i could find a good condition one though.

And going a little off topic here but sunilbakshi... I dont believe you rated TVS #1 when it comes to ASS. My brother has a fiero and we have tried every dealer in bangalore and still havent been able to get his problem fixed. The service personnel at the authorised service centres are complete duds and know nothing, they are impolite, unprofessional and would not replace parts even though it was well within the warranty period. Took a little screaming at the manager from my side to get it done.

We have even mailed TVS regarding the problem and sent them faxes as well, but received no response. So i would have to disagree with it being rated as #1. If their service is like this i cant imagine what it would be like with the other companies.

And once again sorry for going completely off topic here.
Old 15th April 2005, 02:32   #58
BHPian

man r u in bangalore?and u saying TVS has no good service....u must be kidding man!TVS offers the best CRM among 2 wheelers and I know it myself...if u didnt find a good dealer in bangalore, havent u heard of ZEN TVS on bull temple road....they r the best in service...drop in there and u will know the difference....wanna know more about that place...call me at 9886051522.......i'm always there most the time!

Last edited by Rtech : 15th April 2005 at 10:31. Reason: Don't quote full posts.
Old 15th April 2005, 12:51   #59
BHPian

umm.. no havent heard of Zen TVS. will try them out the next time. will also give you a call before going there. Thanks.
Old 15th April 2005, 16:09   #60
BHPian

as i said, service varies from dealer to dealer. its sad though that TVS,as a company, did not respond to your emails and faxes... maybe we have to revise the ranking of TVS!

Fieroid - you are there almost all the time means the TVS service center? do you work there or is your bike always there???

Most Viewed