Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: what is a better option
brand new shining comet 24 47.06%
7-10 year old 400 or a 600 cc (good condition ) 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2005, 01:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

What would you choose? New Comet or Old 400?

hey ppl ,
wassup ? just been lookin mildly for a decent 400 or a lill older 600 cc bike since sometime ( plan to get one sumtime in april ) .

and just today i happened to read rtech's review on the COMET again and thought for a while this might just be some GREAT PACKAGE considering it has a decnt amt. of power , standard looks ,extremely clean paperwork and all that !

then went on to bikepics.com and viewed some pics of the bike and ohhlalala its looked pretty nice for 1.7 lakhs . Don't really know abt the fit and finish as i haven't seen it in person .

so basically now i m thinking what is a better buy : a 7 to 10 year old 400cc or a 600 cc ( well kept ones ofcourse) bike for 2.75 - 3.35 lakhs , the options could be a ZZR , KAWASAKI 7R , HONDA STEED 600 , SUPERFOUR , e.t.c
or a comet for max 1.9 lakhs (on road mumbai ) ?

i know most of you will think how can i compare a comet to the above (infact even the engine is a 75 degree win ) but thats the best premium bike we have in india , so there aint much of a choice !

what do you guys think is better value ? any reasons ?
and do you guys think that the comet will have enough to thrill me for a couple of yrs ? (say min. 2 years )

manson .

Last edited by manson : 1st March 2005 at 01:05.
Old 1st March 2005, 01:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

and are the bookings yet open by any chance ? or can i get it theu sum multibike dealer like premji s or something ?

manson .
Old 1st March 2005, 02:06   #3
BHPian

The comet is definitely much better than the currently available indian bikes but you cant really compare it with the 600. I too was in the same dilemma about 5 months back but then I ultimately bought a CBR 600 F2 after waiting for almost an year for the comet. (pics on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4069 )

I have riden the comet. The finish of the bike leaves a lot to be desired. It has a very big bike feel and looks almost like a 1000 cc. All the same the power available is very less and your expectations are let down. It manages just 26 bhp as compared to the 60 of a 400 cc and 100 bhp of a 600 !!

It is highly unlikely that its power could keep you happy for long especially if you r a guy who dreams of a 1000 rr and does 180 spins on a Zen. The bike is all show and no go !! For all you know, a yamaha RX with a good & light rider could beat you at the signal (power to weight ratio !). It's exhaust note is also quite sad.

You can't really compare a Hyosung engine with a Honda or a Kawasaki !!
As far as parts are concerned, getting spares for a 'common' bike like CBR 600 is no big deal. For that matter, parts of the comet will also have to be imported as and when required. And a few years down the line when the model changes, you'll have a tough time. Also remember a very important thing . . . . . . . because of which the sales of the comet did not take off . . . . . . . Kinetic dealers & service centres are notorious for their lackadaisical attitude & lack of resources. Frankly speaking the japanese bikes don't need much maintenance. You just need to warm the bike for a moment before the first ride of the day and regularly change oil.

Soon the comets would be 'relatively' common and not exclusive as a ZZR or the CBR.

The bike was still available till last month and may still be available which shows that the response to it has been far from satisfactory. When it was launched, they repeatedly announced that the bookings would close in 3 weeks ie before 20th November. The 3 weeks became 3 months because they were not successful in getting enough bookings to be able to place the order with Hyosung.

Oh yes, one more thing. There are strong rumours of more powerful bikes being launched from the bajaj & hero honda stables which would probably be in the same range (250 - 350 cc with about 20 - 30 bhp). They r expected to be priced at around 1.25 lac. Now once these are on the roads, the comet would lose all its charm and not to mention its resale value too.
Old 1st March 2005, 10:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

dude watt did youn pay for u re bike , and what year is it ?
the reason i ve been thinkin of a comet is that i m not getting something good in my budget of arnd. 3 lakhs , do you know of anything ?
and thanks a lot for your views on the comet ,

manson .
Old 1st March 2005, 10:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Manson,

If you read my review of the Comet, you probably also read my final conclusion i.e. I decided NOT to get the Comet and instead get an older but more powerful 400 or preferably a 600.

I went through the same thought process. Infact, I nearly placed my order for the Comet, but, it's just not got the power. If it had just 10Hp more, i would probably have bought it.

As bikefreak has rightly said, it would actually be easier to get parts for common imports such as the Super4 or most of the 600's. And, if you get a good bike and look after it properly, you shouldn't need anything aside from the consumables such as filters etc.

Although the bikes in our price range may be 7-10 years old, they are still F-A-S-T and reliable. Well, that was my reasoning anyways.
Old 1st March 2005, 10:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

the super four i would gladly put my money on rather than a steed. reliable, fast and usable on a daily basis
Old 1st March 2005, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for a 400/600

I'll just write the cons & pros of both poll options

1st - Comet

Benefits:

1) Brand new, can be bought for 1.7 off the shelf (good feel factor)
2) Nice cheaper spares ( i assume tha the 400/600)
3) Will get warranty (biggest benefit)
4) Insurance wud be easier than on 400/600
5) Cheaper than the 400/600 & u'll still be able to pull crowd & smoke all of the Indian bikes
6) Very easily flickable in traffic too( wrt to the 400/600s)
Disadvantages:
1) Top speed only 140 kph (aftre spending 1.7 this is not what u expect)
2) If ur spending that kinda money better stock some more & geta bigger bike

2nd- 400/600

Benefits:

1) Nothing beats the sound & growl of a 400 (not so much in a 600)
2) Much more power for ur buck (1.7 for 27bhp, 2.5-3.0 for a 40-60Bhp & arnd 3.5-5.5 (for a gud 600) 100+ Bhp
3) Better machinery, more power & best is the Exclusiveness
4) Amazing top speeds (moe adrenalin rush )

Disadvanteges:

1) Very difficult to get spares (this is less for honda & more for kawasaki)
2) Expensive to maintain.
3) City riding is not so good as the engine heats up a quite a bit & city's stop & go traffic makes it a lot difficult to ride.

Now the choice is yours & dude no matter what u choose, remember, with more power comes more responcibility

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st March 2005 at 11:27.
Old 1st March 2005, 11:56   #8
BHPian

Rt and bikefreak feels spares/maintenance wont be a problem and techno feels it will....

There was a pic of a black comet in an 'Overdrive'.. Just loved that.. But me thinks it isn't worth going for the comet.. top speed simply makes it look worthless...
Like the aquila, even bike this might not sell much....

But there was an article about the 650cc,6 lk aquila(Dont know if the numbers are correct)..Wonder how good that would do??
Old 1st March 2005, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

@vinsanity : dude i said that part availability for comet wud be more than the 400/600 but it doesn't mean that 400/600 u wont get easily.

The best part abt the 400s/600s is that u can buy ur part staright off from ebay which is shipped very fast sometimes even within 24-36 hrs, the only problem being getting it cleared from customs :(
Old 1st March 2005, 17:19   #10
BANNED

new comet , used is always used and new is new. have the money for new 400 or 600 put it. in a new bike if u keep it well u know what maintainence ull pay. old bikes u cant say nothing no matter how good it looks. same with cars i guess. im too scared for a used car. never bought one as yet.
Old 1st March 2005, 17:44   #11
BHPian

Hey Techno,
Ok i get that..
I know, u probably know it all cos u'r there.. But i some how am dead against buying a new comet(except if given for free).. just dont seem to impress.. Top speed!!
Old 1st March 2005, 19:27   #12
BHPian

I was speaking with one of the Kinetic showroom managers, he said that the Comet 650 will be launched here, that is TWO YEARS from now, could be worth the wait and hopefully by then atleast!!!! our markets will have some large capacity bikes.
Aprilia is supposed to launch the RSV1000R at 6.5lakhs, hopefully other manufacture will follow suit and bring some multi-cylinder bikes. Hero motors is supposed to a launch 330cc bike by the year end. Lets see what bikes come by!!!!!!!
Old 1st March 2005, 19:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

can;t wait for two more years and i don't think there s any ineresting bike to be launched this year except the 200 plus pulsar which will be on terms with the karizma !

manson .
Old 1st March 2005, 19:47   #14
Team-BHP Support

the poll is tight maaaan . 7 for the imp. bike and 6 for the comet ! keep it coming .

manson .
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:41   #15
BHPian

Akkiben, hope we get to see more hot machines come here at cheaper rates.....
But RSV1000R at 6.5lakhs would be awesome man....... Is it really true??!

The 3.6 lk 650cc cruiser(the new aquila).. When is that coming man??!! Looks pretty good in the pic that was in Overdrive.. And the price too seems pretty good......

_Its raining bike, alleluia.. It's raining bikes.. Wait a min, it'l take time. grrrrrr_

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks