Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:20   #16
BHPian

I am sure that once it's ready, the urge to hit the road and feel the wind in your face will be overwhelming!
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I have stopped accounting the expenses . Will never think about RTO registration etc, for me the very thought of having a harley parked in my driveway build by me from scratch is overwhelming. I don't mind if its not road worthy or registered.
and i wish that you'll get it registered and 'll be seen riding all over bangalore soon once the project is completed. come on we are tired of seeing sports bikes zipping around on the streets : bring out the custom HD. and of-course all the very best.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:41   #18
BHPian

Wow, I really admire you to even think of doing something all on your own. It definitely is possible, it's just that most people won't try taking on such a large and complicated project. I have no doubt though this bike will be wonderful. Congrats!!

Just a few questions:
1) How does the suspension system work? The fat boy wasn't a hard-tail (though it looks like one) was it? Please explain. Also do tell us a little about what suspension you plan on using in the front as well as rear.

2) What did you fabricate the frame out of? Seamless MS pipe or an alloy of some kind?

3) A few details on the engine please. Where and how did you procure it? What did it cost and what was it originally meant for? I am not really a Harley enthusiast, so I am a little ignorant on the subject.

Thanks and all the best.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post

Just a few questions:
1) How does the suspension system work? The fat boy wasn't a hard-tail (though it looks like one) was it? Please explain. Also do tell us a little about what suspension you plan on using in the front as well as rear.

2) What did you fabricate the frame out of? Seamless MS pipe or an alloy of some kind?

3) A few details on the engine please. Where and how did you procure it? What did it cost and what was it originally meant for? I am not really a Harley enthusiast, so I am a little ignorant on the subject.

Thanks and all the best.
1. The fatboy rear is a softail suspension, the swingarm is attached to the frame using two shock absorbers. The front is hydraulic suspension.

2. The frame is made out of DOM tubing (drawn over mandrel, seamless)

3. The engine procurement is a long story which was procured for some other work, i will not divulge the detail on the forum. In nutshell its available for use on the project now.
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:20   #20
BHPian

Pics of some parts: Transmission, Motor, Frontend, Handlebar/Triple trees. Excuse the poor quality of images.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-img00262.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-img00264.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-img00267.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-img00268.jpg  

Old 5th August 2009, 18:41   #21
BHPian

Day 18: Jig Leveler

Took apart the jig today to install the levelers. Machined flats to fit on the bottom of the square tubing, Hex head M10 bolts to go on the centre, will be used to adjust the level and will weld onto a circular flat which would be in contact with the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-faboy_build_5aug09_jigdismantled1.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-faboy_build_5aug09_jigwithoutleveler1.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-faboy_build_5aug09_jigleveler1.jpg  

Old 5th August 2009, 19:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Luky_13 good to read about your ongoing project. I wanted to something like this since long. Wonderful job mate. Just one doubt; How are you going to get it registered?
Old 5th August 2009, 20:46   #23
BHPian

Dont think he is going to bother getting it registered, from his post in the previous page.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice! what else are you fabbing other than the frame? Looks like you got an original front end too.
Old 5th August 2009, 22:08   #25
BHPian

As of now only the frame and the swing arm, the frame design is that of a 2005 harley fatboy, the engine is of a touring edition, the transmission is a 2001 manual 5 speed. The biggest challenge is to get these things to work together, because we are doing the frame in house it is one big variable.

Once its done we will spend a lot of time doing mock trials for alignment and component mating, before we go for the final assembly and frame powder coating. The other major challenge is the electricals.

Plan to go step by step, carefully.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:38   #26
BHPian

whats the update on your progress?
Old 10th August 2009, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Dreams finally taking shape Congs Mate keep-up you efforts !
Old 10th August 2009, 20:52   #28
BHPian

Able to finish most of the parts required for the frame welding today. Small list
1. Stanchions - back from jig boring
2. Gussets - laser cut and ready to use
3. Neck - cnc machined and ground to K6 bearing tolerance
4. Frame tubing - downtubes, seat post, backbone etc all shot blasted and ready
5. Seat post mating clamp - ready
6. Backbone mating clamp - ready

Did a mock up on the jig today, tomorrow's plan is to finish all the coupe cuts and fish mounting checks on the tubing.

This is turning out to be more challenging than i thought, but i sleep with immense amount of satisfaction every night.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_5.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_4.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_3.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_2.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_1.jpg  

Old 10th August 2009, 22:24   #29
Team-BHP Support

luky_13,

Interesting project! And you seem to be doing it with a very close eye on quality / precision.

Can you tell us what the major differences between the original frame and your frame are likely to be? For one it will probably be slightly heavier right?

Keep the pics coming!
cya
R
Old 10th August 2009, 22:53   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Awsome!!!

Amazing project! Eagerly looking at it. And once it's done, the century old question. "bhai, Mileage kya hai?"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks