Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 01:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Isnt designing the frame/chassis a very tough job, because of all the stress points and stuff? In any case hats off for taking up this project. Please do retain the original rim design. Its what makes the FatBoy look so terminatorish. I've seen/ridden one briefly in the flesh. The ON/OFF/LIGHTS knob on the tank should be retined as well. God did the earth shake when that thing used to be cranked!
Old 11th August 2009, 07:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Can you tell us what the major differences between the original frame and your frame are likely to be? For one it will probably be slightly heavier right?
R
Major differences are:-
1. Marginally raked out front end (by 2 degrees)
2. Fatboys come with balanced Twin cam engines - TC88B (B stands for balanced), mine is not balanced. So the frame had to be suited to fit the TC88A motor. Motor mounting holes had to be relocated.
3. My frame will have an additional centre post that connects the downtubes to the centre of the seat post, this is used as a reference for motor rear mount also. OEM frames do not have these, in fact the motor mates directly with the transmission.
4. Few adjustments here and there to suit custom built stuff, like foward controls.

If my model simulations are correct then the frame would be heavier by 14 kgs as compared to the OEM Fatboy one.
Old 11th August 2009, 10:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
Amazing project! Eagerly looking at it. And once it's done, the century old question. "bhai, Mileage kya hai?"
Mat pucho to aacha hai ! This bike is not being built with mileage in mind. Now that you have asked it would be around 20 kpl.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:58   #34
BHPian

hey lucky_13,
you surely are doing a great build up,it takes in alot to build a replica of HD fatboy,i would like to know a few things,
is the front suspension with fork OE fitment?
is the tyre & the wheel made for HD fatboy?
what are you doin to bolt on the engine to the chassis?i am asking you this because HD engines are very torquey,if the fitment is not according to the company specification you are going to have alot of vibrations which will make it difficult for you to ride.i know of a replica of HD in bangalore,which has a chinese make v twin engine,trust me it is no where close to a HD,also what exhaust system are you planning to use,stock or after market(scream eagle certified by HD)?
i can share my HD's workshop manual with you if you want to know step by step fittment of you bike,(share means photocopy )
Old 11th August 2009, 17:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nandish which HD do you own/ride?
Old 11th August 2009, 17:57   #36
BHPian

luky 13 best of luck with the project. I have some files i downloaded from the internet on building frames for a choppers. I got it from a torrent file PM me if you need i'll send you the link or mail you the .torrent files
Old 11th August 2009, 18:19   #37
BHPian

hey quickdraw,
i ride the softail deuce
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Nandish which HD do you own/ride?
Old 11th August 2009, 23:02   #38
BHPian

great stuff man.
The questions have all been asked i guess, but nandish's question has got me curious as well. The engine is an HD make, or a chinese twin?
Old 11th August 2009, 23:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrider View Post
great stuff man.
The engine is an HD make, or a chinese twin?
Pure american blood, Harley Davidson vTwin TwinCam 88A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
hey lucky_13,
is the front suspension with fork OE fitment?
is the tyre & the wheel made for HD fatboy?
what are you doin to bolt on the engine to the chassis?i am asking you this because HD engines are very torquey,if the fitment is not according to the company specification you are going to have alot of vibrations which will make it difficult for you to ride.i know of a replica of HD in bangalore,which has a chinese make v twin engine,trust me it is no where close to a HD,also what exhaust system are you planning to use,stock or after market(scream eagle certified by HD)?
i can share my HD's workshop manual with you if you want to know step by step fittment of you bike,(share means photocopy )
Front suspension is OEM, wheels are OEM.
As mentioned in my earlier post I'm using a unbalanced engine on a frame design that holds a balanced one, keeping my options open on the motor mounts. In all probability they would be rubber mounted studs with a stabalizer bar. Thanks for the user manuals though, i have parts and service manuals from 2002 ~ 2007 on all softail and touring harley models.

Keep telling people that tbhp is full of surprises, never knew someone was driving around on a Deuce in Bangalore !
Attached Thumbnails
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_6.jpg  

Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-fatboy_build_10aug09_7.jpg  

Old 11th August 2009, 23:31   #40
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

No offence luky, but those Duro tyres dont suit the image of a Harley Davidson. Would suggest you go for a better brand / pattern of tyres.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
No offence luky, but those Duro tyres dont suit the image of a Harley Davidson. Would suggest you go for a better brand / pattern of tyres.
None taken, OEM Dunlop's are enroute, Duro were available cheap in delhi. Picked them up for 4K. Needed something to do a mock-up.
Old 12th August 2009, 00:19   #42
BHPian

thats exactly what i wanted to say,i thot the supension wasn't OE as the chrome is not like OE & also the tyres,the OE dunlop tyres cost a bomb,your engine is definitely an OE HD,
You would be surprised to know we also have a dyna low rider limited edition & 2 knight riders in bangalore.
Old 12th August 2009, 04:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Nandish why not some pics of your Softail here. only if Luky does not mind you hacking his thread.

i was trying to watch the thread silently but just could not resist
Old 12th August 2009, 08:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
You would be surprised to know we also have a dyna low rider limited edition & 2 knight riders in bangalore.
Now you see thats what i'm talking about, another surprise just walked into this thread. Would love to meet you guys sometime.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:58   #45
BHPian

thats me with my softail deuce,if required will post good close ups in the weekend,
Attached Thumbnails
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-dsc00807.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks