Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 22:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scorpio SLE- final shorlist after much consternation- wise move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Himanshu Bhai, since everybody is saying their vehicle is the best , let me advise you to buy the Getaway 4X4 because
  • 4X4
  • Below 10L OTR
  • Hardly any body roll due to longer wheelbase torsion bar setup upfront!
  • Taller than the regular Scorpio
  • No bouncing as well as the cabin is fairly interior from teh wheels
Cheers
Ani, u r incorrigible, u know that na
Old 4th September 2011, 22:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Ani, u r incorrigible, u know that na
Well I could have suggested you to buy the THAR which would have made a nice statement outside JMC/LSR/MH et al especially given that its an awesome two seater vehicle with zero body roll during suspension testing :P.

But I didn't!

Because I have your greater interest at heart.

Cheers

P.S: Congrats on booking the Safari errrr Scorpio (Still can't believe it)

P.P.S: Do you want Anand Mahindra's personal number
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 23:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now for the Colour
Congrats on the decision! If the delivery period is the same irrespective of the colour, then please please choose Rocky Beige! It is pure C-L-A-S-S! I wanted it myself, but it would have meant being vehicle-less for 2 weeks more than if I chose the Diamond White.

Looking forward to your TD & initial ownership report.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th September 2011, 23:57   #19
BHPian

Hi Himanshu,
At the outset let me congratulate u on ur decision to pick up the SLE .Indeed most of us r constrained by the budget which dictates most of our buying decisions.I picked up my SLE last oct and have 28,000 km on odo.My main consideration was ABS rest i could do without,for a veh this heavy ABS is a must.My driving has been mostly on highways,since my purchase have driven in MH,HR,CH,PB and RJ.The veh behaves exceptionally well on flat tarmac and is fairly well behaved on broken potholed roads (you do have a considerable bodyroll though).It gives around 13+ on highways with AC on all the time.Max speed I have driven is 140 KMPh enroute to Jaiselmer.On highways otherwise i prefer to stick to 100 KMPH though.

The only problems I have faced over this period is
-The dvr side window not working at times the problem was rectified during servicing ,but it did reoccur a few times more.
-The glove compartment has a problem of not clicking in place in the first instance but that is also sporadic.
-Body roll is very pronounced for the rear passangers.

Other than above there is nothing to worry about.Looking fwd to the pics.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your choice buddy. Just recently, I had to part with my mHawk you have NO idea how much I miss it. That SUV was simply awesome.

I still maintain that if you drive yourself, then scorpio is the best vehicle below 12 lakhs. Of course, high speed drivers who like prefer low slung sedans will laugh at me but the joy of driving an SUV even at sedate speeds is something else!

coming to the safari, i think you made a good decision by avoiding it, mainly due to the fact that safari is a very comfortable car but it is more suited to back seat owners rather than self driven. also, as you must have read, both cars are not super reliable like the innova but scorpio has relatively lesser issues, especially the SLE.

Scorpio is much more refined & peppier to drive although power specs on paper say something else, real world driving experience is way better in the scorpio, if you can live with the slight bounciness at high speeds.

Quote:
One weird thing though was the glovebox- the damn thing refuses to shut and the sales man was candid enuf to admit that it is a design flaw in the "catcher"-hmmmm, will hae to figure something out here.
you have to literally slam the glovebox lid to shut it. dont worry, it wont break off!

Quote:
I felt the ride at par with my Safari at speeds around 50 KPH. and the fron seats were pretty comfy for my 6 foot frame
i have said this repeatedly that low speed ride in both safari & scorpio is similar. it is only at highway speeds that the safari outshines the scorpio. within city limits, the scorpio is comfortable but sadly, many people here, still associate the scorpio with the bounciness of it's older leaf spring setup. the current coil spring setup is many times better, though not the best in class.

In case you buy one, I am sure you will have a blast driving it! I also wish that you have a trouble free ownership experience...
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 11:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vikram, Ramanjit and Raj.

Raj, your passionate ownership of the Scorpio is something I have followed with interest over the years and revisited those threads in the last week, primarily because you also own a Safari and an Innova (IIRC) so your views on the Scorpio would put a lot of things in perspective.

If all goes well, I plan to pick up a black scorp- I have a thing for black cars and my Safari was black as well, just IMHO, but i feel black brings out the brutish character of an SUV well and since I am moving back to Delhi, where might is right, i would do well to go with the flow

Thanks for all your wishes, will keep you guys updated on my progress.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:54   #22
BANNED

Hi friend,
Scorpio is the best.im using since 2002 then 2007 & now 2011 VLX+AIRBAG.Never let me down in any terrain and always on time when committed, during long drives.
Happy motoring.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Update:

called up a couple of dealers in Delhi and the following two are the best quotes I got:

Koncept- 10,26,000 (OTR) plus free 3rd and 4th ys EW
Bhasin- 10,20,300 (OTR) please free 3rd n 4th year EW.

Good quotes or room for improvement still?

Mahindra dealers are very reluctant to offer any sort of deals!
Old 5th September 2011, 12:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

called up a couple of dealers in Delhi and the following two are the best quotes I got:

Koncept- 10,26,000 (OTR) plus free 3rd and 4th ys EW
Bhasin- 10,20,300 (OTR) please free 3rd n 4th year EW.

Good quotes or room for improvement still?

Mahindra dealers are very reluctant to offer any sort of deals!
Breakup please!

Would help us to cut the flab out.

Cheers
Old 5th September 2011, 13:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Breakup please!

Would help us to cut the flab out.

Cheers

Ex showroom- 932130
Road Tax n regn- 70,419
Insurance (40% offer)- 21,000

what is interesting is that no dealer quoted things like handling charges, depot charges etc- Kudos to M&M for that
Old 5th September 2011, 13:43   #26
BHPian

Himanshu,

My Scorpio Mhawk is almost 2 yrs old. I didnt face any major issues. If you can live with the mediocre ride and handling then i can vouch of scorpio. Engine is a gem and it is very easy to maneuver in city, I never get worried with huge traffic. You will be more relaxed in scrop than any other sedan or suv in the traffic. Though you cannot compare with innova, it is still good in highways if you cruise in 110-120 kmph.

My odo is 44000 in 21 months. I use it for daily commute of 50kms(to-fro) .

Last edited by klassics45 : 5th September 2011 at 13:46.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:46   #27
BHPian

Himunshu Bhai!

Congrats on your descision. I parted with my SLE about a month back after 16 months of ownership. Buy it for its awesome engine and great after sales service and support( AML Hyderabad).

The handling and bobbing bit has been discussed by some of the members here and I leave it to your discretion to adjust to it as I guess you are currently owning an SX4..by the way I couldn't.

The ABS worked perfectly under one most certain scrape and full marks to its effectiveness.

Happy motoring and my guess is that you would buy a black SLE.

Cheers!!
Old 5th September 2011, 13:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ex showroom- 932130
Road Tax n regn- 70,419

what is interesting is that no dealer quoted things like handling charges, depot charges etc- Kudos to M&M for that
Road Tax seems to be high.

I think you can closer to the day of the booking/purchase ask for 10k Cash Discount and 7-10K Corporate Discount. This is over and above of free extended warranty and insurance!
Old 5th September 2011, 13:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ex showroom- 932130
Road Tax n regn- 70,419

You're right, M&M dealers hardly give out any freebies, unless it's year end time. You are at least getting free EW, I only got a 4k corporate discount and the savings on getting insurance done independently.

I feel there may be still scope for reduction in the insurance quote, if you get it done outside. I did that, and got it done for approx Rs.19k. Of course, the ex-showroom price for my vehicle was way less than what you've written above. Also, if you work in some well known firm, then bargain hard for a corporate discount.

Quote:
Road tax seems to be okay to me. 7% of 932130 = 65,250/-. I got this % figure from Delhi Govt hikes road tax, pay more for cars

Not sure about the reg'n charges.

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:
Road tax seems to be okay to me. 7% of 932130 = 65,250/-. I got this % figure from Delhi Govt hikes road tax, pay more for cars

MODS: Back to back post, please delete. Sorry for the inconvenience [have already reported it].

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2011 at 11:06. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Thanks for reporting!
Old 5th September 2011, 14:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Cheers,
Vikram
What I meant was the 4-5K for broker fees.

When I bought my cars, I just paid Rs.250/- for Temp Registration and the Road Tax. Took the car to the RTO, paid the fees of Rs.650/- and was out in 30 Minutes. The RC came to my house in 5-6 days.

Also I got 47K Discount on a made to order vehicle. Here is the breakup
10K- Dealer Cash Discount
7K - Corporate Discount
15K - 50% Insurance
15k - Loyalty Bonus

So I'm sure you can do better!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 5th September 2011 at 14:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks