Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 13:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio SLE- final shorlist after much consternation- wise move?

cross posting from the technical issues thread

Folks, after lots of waiting for the Merlin, and its inrodinate delays, I have decided to junk my wait for buying another Safari and have decided to go in for the Scorpio SLE. (No sedans for me!)

Going thru teh technical issues thread on the Scorpio, one thing that strikes me is that a majority of issues in the newer scorpios are in the top end VLX and that too with the electircals. So am I correct in assuming that the SLE should be a tad more reliable?

Am I correct in assuming that as a machine, the Scorpio is inhenrently a reliable car even today? I know the earlier DI Turbo and the CRDE were very reliable beasts, but is that alo the case with the mHawk (given its higher dependance on sensors and elctricals?).

One of the primary reasons I am going in for the scorp over the Safari is the presence of ABS at this price point (my budget is 10LOTR Delhi, non extendable). Is the ABS in the SLE effective? the website does not clarify if ABS is on all four wheels or only in the front and whether it is a 4 channel ABS.

Lastly, is it a good decision to buy a scorpio SLE? Any inputs will be higly appreciated since I need to buy the car very soon (by Dusshera)

Thanks!

Himanshu
Old 4th September 2011, 14:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Scorpio SLE- final shorlist after much consternation- wise move?

Hi,

I own a SLE - bought in Feb 2010. Except for one minor issue of power windows occasionally not working, I haven't faced any other. Love it. Wishing you good luck.

Chandra
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 15:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why not wait for the XUV-500? I think it's not far away.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ EARTHed, i used to own a Safari 3.0 Dicor till about a coupleof years back and it was a mixed eperience. Whne the car ran fine, it was matchless but then it used to give me regualr moments of tearing my hair out in frustration. Despite that, iwas willing to go in for another Safari given its wesome comfort, hoping that hte issues will be sorted out to a large etent in the Merlin.

But what i am hearing about the pricing of the Merlin, coupled with no clarity on the launch date means that I have to nix the idea of the Merlin for now at least. My only other option is the Scorpio SLE.

I am not the kind of guy who redlines his vehicles and top speed is purely academic for me. As it is neither the Safari of teh Scoprio are built for high speed driving, so higher top end of the Safari means nothing to me. I prefer to cruie at 90-110 on our highways.

yes, teh safari is faaaar more comfy than scorp, but from what I hear, teh Mhawk has a vastly improved ride and handling and I am hoping some existing Scorpio owners shed some light on that.

oh, and please let this not become yet another Scorp vs Safari thread
Old 4th September 2011, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Himanshu
I have been driving Scorpio SLE since May 2010,and it has 20K on odo now.Other than the regular services she hasnt visited Mahindra after sales even one(***touchwood***).
And Safari is more comfortable and better for highways
And regarding top speed,i have managed 165,and no Safari has outdragged it
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 18:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Going thru teh technical issues thread on the Scorpio, one thing that strikes me is that a majority of issues in the newer scorpios are in the top end VLX and that too with the electircals. So am I correct in assuming that the SLE should be a tad more reliable?

Am I correct in assuming that as a machine, the Scorpio is inhenrently a reliable car even today? I know the earlier DI Turbo and the CRDE were very reliable beasts, but is that alo the case with the mHawk (given its higher dependance on sensors and elctricals?).

One of the primary reasons I am going in for the scorp over the Safari is the presence of ABS at this price point (my budget is 10LOTR Delhi, non extendable). Is the ABS in the SLE effective? the website does not clarify if ABS is on all four wheels or only in the front and whether it is a 4 channel ABS.

Lastly, is it a good decision to buy a scorpio SLE? Any inputs will be higly appreciated since I need to buy the car very soon (by Dusshera)

Thanks!

Himanshu
I own a scorpio SLE which will be almost 1 year old this month end. The
car has never had any major issues. There are niggling issues of seats making a sound and an incident where the driver side power window would not wind back up. This was fixed at home at no cost the next day.

The FE is consistant at 10.xx kms if I drive hard and about 13 if I drive around 90 on the highway. In city is about 11.xx though I hardly use it in city.

I have completed 25K KMS service this week and I think that it was an overall great decision to go with the Mahindra. I am comfortable with the car and also confident that I can leave for a 3000 km trip tomorrow with zero preparation, if required.

I have done about 13-15 trips of around 1200 kms each and one long one of about 3000 km and a lot of smaller ones in the last year and they all have been totally event free (also puncture free)
Old 4th September 2011, 18:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The proportion of VLX Scorpios in the Scorpio issues and solutions thread is more for the simple reason that they sell more than the LXs & SLEs, on our forum as well as outside it. Also, as you said, the probability of issues cropping up in the VLX is more because it has more gadgets in it. So yes, the SLE should give you less headaches.

Quote:
Here, I will quote my ownership experience in brief and you can decide if it fits your definition of reliability. Bought my Diamond White SLE on Feb 28, 2010, completed 28k kms till date. Daily commute of 50 kms [to and fro], out of which 35 kms is highway and 15 kms of city driving. In this, I get a FE of 12 - 12.5, depending on traffic density, AC usage etc. Never calculated FE for exclusive city driving, but only highway drives give me a FE of 14 - 15 [like you, I am a sedate driver and rarely cross 110 kmph]. Have done 3 1000+ km/day drives and several 400+ km/day drives without any discomfort to me or co-passengers. Apart from the scheduled servicing, the only time I took my vehicle to the service centre was to get 2 issues resolved: 1. Driver side power window not working occasionally [fixed FOC] 2. Brake light always staying on. Both were resolved to my satisfaction.

A huge ****TOUCHWOOD**** here!

Quote:
Is the ABS in the SLE effective? the website does not clarify if ABS is on all four wheels or only in the front and whether it is a 4 channel ABS.
Sorry, can't help you here. I haven't had too many instances where I've had to brake hard at high speed [and I hope it stays that way], so can't comment on the above.

Quote:
If the fancy gizmos in the VLX aren't important to you, then yes, SLE is the best buy among the Scorpio variants. That's not to say that all the extra features in the VLX are of just cosmetic value. The micro hybrid and cruise control are quite useful in city and highway driving respectively. However, IMO, the rest [TPMS, parking assistance, rain & light sensors, OEM music system, audio controls on steering, alloys, decals, bluevision headlights, illuminated footboards] are of novelty value at best.

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 18:51   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the M&M vehicles have lovely engines there is no doubt. they are pretty reliable too.

I am deeply concerned about the consistently bouncy ride and suspension and its ability to brake and stop in adverse conditions. Its top heavy, high bodied nature is another big deterrent in terms of handling over pot holes, bumps and other irritants.
Indeed, 3 years and 5 months into Scorpio ownership I am told I might be tending towards spondylitis on account of the constant bouncing about - and I always sit in the driving seat!! The passengers at the rear suffer the worst in this vehicle. No peace at all, being rattled about like dice when the vehicle is at speed and one comes upon sudden bad stretches. It shivers, skitters and shifts when going over rumble strips and such!
Plus even in the top versions with alloys etc the wheels are designed to sit quite considerably within the wheel arches and body structure which tends to pronounce the body roll.
I am also unable to bring myself to trust the quality and execution of the heavily electronics loaded versions because somehow I feel these are the first things that will go boom!
Having considered all this - the only version of the Scorpio that makes sense financially is the mechanical version. But I really wish they would give it to consumers with the options of atleast the safety features like airbags and ABS. They really should introduce disc brakes at the rear too to improve its stopping power.
I find the top end 4WD (MT and AT) versions considerably over priced at 14 -15.6 lacs on road. They should be more realistic in their pricing given what they offer. Their fit and finish overall needs a lot of work even now, to be worth it!

But for the most part 2WD is enough and costs about 14 for the top end VLX.

The vehicle is capable of taking tremendous abuse and hard usage - overall decent value, relatively inexpensive to run and maintain and a reliable, no frills workhorse.

Personally though, Ive had my fill of the Scorpio and would not consider buying another one to replace the current one whenever Im ready to upgrade/ change. I would certainly want a better handling, more modern and ergonomically designed, well finished machine, which the Scorpio is not!
Old 4th September 2011, 19:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Folks, after lots of waiting for the Merlin, and its inrodinate delays, I have decided to junk my wait for buying another Safari and have decided to go in for the Scorpio SLE. (No sedans for me!)

Thanks!

Himanshu
As I understand is you would probably prefer a Safari, but your budget doesnt allow for a Safari with ABS. Thus as the Scorpio SLE has ABS, you are leaning towards it, or may be decided to get it.

I will just make one crazy suggestion. The main issue is there is no guarantee that it will work.

The idea is to buy a Safari GX, ie the one with ABS, after the Merlin has been launched. At that time your should get good enough discounts on what will be a discontinued model, of course depending on the factor that you can actually track one down that has left the factory but has gone unsold. If you get really lucky, may be Tata will drop the prices of the GX model after Merlin lauch.

Like I said, crazy crazy idea, but I think it would be a sort of utopian scenario for you.
Old 4th September 2011, 19:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin has a <1.5 year,60000kms old Scorpio VLX(2wd). Having driven significant distances in it both in city and highway, all i can say is Scorpio=brilliant engine(mHawk) but horrible handling. Its light steering is a boon in the city as is the peppy engine. Brakes are pretty good too.

On the highway its a different story altogether. Engine remains praiseworthy but handling proves spoilsport, the light steering spoiling it further. The brakes are good but under hard braking, car pitches forward(poor handling). Smooth roads are ok but mild undulations unsettles the car. Anything above 80kmph and i feel nervous if road is not 'perfect'(though engine is capable of double the speed easily). Rear seat comfort is even poorer in such roads.

Reliability: Since he bought the car,he has had a leakage in the fuel pump and the MicroHybrid failed. Both were replaced under warranty. Parking sensors and tyre pressure sensors malfunction sometimes. NO other problems till date,hasn't broken down ever. Quite inexpensive to maintain, rugged and seeks little attention for care.
FE: 11-12 in city, 14-15 in highway

PS:I drive my cousin's car occasionally but have driven >2k kms. May be if one drives it regularly,he/she may get accustomed to its handling characteristics and feel more confident than i do.
Old 4th September 2011, 20:01   #11
BHPian

Once on the belur - hasan road, when I was doing 100+, a kid on a cycle darted in suddenly into the main road from the side, slammed the brakes so hard and much to my surprise, the vehicle stuck to its line and stopped admirably well. Frankly my scorp saved the day for me. Bottom line abs works quite well. Ofcourse I too learnt the lesson that our highways are never safe for speeds exceeding 100 kmph.
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 20:36   #12
BHPian

Hi Himanshu:

I acknowledge that the final decision is your prerogative but let me share my experience of owning a Scorpio SLE for one year from Sept 2009 till Sept 2010. The only reason I sold it was because I bought a Pajero.

In my view, the Scorpio is a very good option at that price point. I rate if better than a Safari as I extensively test drove both vehicles before deciding on the Scorpio...despite Safari being far more comfortable and I personally finding the Safari better looking.

There was not a single place where the Scorpio cause me trouble on my Leh trip via Lahaul. There is a lot of body roll but surprisingly when I took the Chang La pass at a slightly higher speed, the vehicle seemed to just glide over the potholes. It handles reasonably well so long one is cognizant of the fact that after all it is a SUV and not a X5 or a Cayenne. From Tanglang La to Leh not once did I feel that the Innova of my friend following me was being terribly slowed down because of me leading the way at 10.30 in the night.

In terms of engine refinement I found the Scorpio to be miles ahead of Safari. I also found it more fun to drive than the Safari.

During safaris inside Corbett park I did not much miss not being in a Gypsy because the view was quite clear and wide. I once put a steel almirah after folding the last two rows of seats and transported it over 3 kilometers albeit at a very slow speed.

And lastly, somehow the traffic seems thinner in a Scorpio (compared to Sedans).

All the best.

Cheers!!
Deep_Shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 20:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

We currently own a 2.2 VLX in our family and earlier owned 2.6 SLX CRDE. I have driven both these cars extensively over the past few years time, please find some comments below

Though we havent faced any major issues with the 2.2 VLX so far, it continues to give us small niggles, but those aren't show stoppers.
this car has run 40k kms till date - mostly highway trips.

The earlier 2.6 SLX started giving us big issues once it was past 1 lakh kms on the odo and we sold of it at around 1.4 lakh kms on the ODO since it was breaking down too very often for our comfort.

I would not hold the current one for more than 1 lakh kms for sure due to the experience we had with the earlier one.

Quote:

ABS is a 3-channel system. There are 2 sensors seperately for the front wheels and the 3rd sensor is present on the rear differential. This car doesn't have EBD, but trust me, ABS works just brilliantly in this car. I have had more than one instance where the ABS kicked in and the car held its line. I have had a bad crash in my 2.6 SLX when the wheels locked up, so I know the difference this makes, trust me on this!

Quote:
One of the primary reasons am going in for the scorp over the Safari is the presence of ABS at this price point (my budget is 10LOTR Delhi, non extendable). Is the ABS in the SLE effective? the website does not clarify if ABS is on all four wheels or only in the front and whether it is a 4 channel ABS.
I think the SLE variant is priced pretty well, whereas the VLX variants are priced a little high IMO. Only thing you will miss in the SLE will be the airbags and apart from that, I feel this is a very good option for someone who is in strict budget. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Hope this helps.

Quote:

Last edited by bala80 : 4th September 2011 at 21:00.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 21:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Himanshu Bhai, since everybody is saying their vehicle is the best , let me advise you to buy the Getaway 4X4 because
  • 4X4
  • Below 10L OTR
  • Hardly any body roll due to longer wheelbase torsion bar setup upfront!
  • Taller than the regular Scorpio
  • No bouncing as well as the cabin is fairly interior from teh wheels

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 22:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

damn!!!! n then my wife wonders why i am hooked to Team-BHP....first up, a heartfelt THANK YOU to all you folks for your wonderful inputs.

As some of you rightly guessed, my heart leans towards the Safari, but there are times in life when one needs to listen to the head and the voices of sanity around you (first time for me, to be honest )

I went to a dealer in Mumbai today and took a test drive. The engine is a gem and clearly more refined and peppy compared to the Safari. The interior plastics are pretty crap though to be honest, but so long as everything stays in place, i wont complain since i have to compromise on something. One weird thing though was the glovebox- the damn thing refuses to shut and the sales man was candid enuf to admit that it is a design flaw in the "catcher"-hmmmm, will hae to figure something out here.

I did experience some body roll while driving over mumbai's infamous moonscapes, but not really a show stopper. I felt the ride at par with my Safari at speeds around 50 KPH. and the fron seats were pretty comfy for my 6 foot frame

All these responses has given me confidence to go in for the Scorpio SLE.
so, I'll be booking one this week and am told it will take three weeks for delivery, which works just fine for me since i will be moving to Delhi around then only.....now for the Colour

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 4th September 2011 at 22:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks