Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 11:29   #61
BANNED

Re: Scorpio SLE- final shorlist after much consternation- wise move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Having said all of this, it is still a very tough vehicle, capable of taking tremendous abuse. Overall a very good VFM option if a hard riding ute is what one wants.
Possibly I am getting a bit older and more evolved and consequently my expectations are changing, which is why I want a better handling, monocoque, car like SUV now for greater comfort in my daily drive.
This is what it boils down to. Apart from the slightly bouncy ride there is little/nothing to find fault with, in the Scorpio, which is why it sells almost as many numbers as the Innova, month on month.
Its reliability, serviceability, and VFM quotient are impossible to beat in its segment.

Of course as our expectations and wallets increase, we all aspire for better things in life, don't we?
Old 7th September 2011, 12:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
the trouble is though that I am looking at the complete package and definitely want my SUV to have ABS since the braking on my Safari (LX) was scary! and given my budget constraint of 10L, that takes the GX out of the picture, so it is the Scorp for me.
Dont ever think of Scorp without ABS. It is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Black scorpio looks killer... especially since white is too common now. Try getting some dark tints if you can & you will end up with a "gangsta" vehicle.

Please done fit any ugly chrome guards in front & rear. Instead get some nice alloys & your SUV would be drool worthy.
Yes sir. Black looks killer!! No chrome guards please. That just kills the look and does not add anything from safety perspective.

Quote:
Raj, no guards for me whatsoever. I quite like the front end design of the Refresh, though am not too hot on the rear. I like to keep my cars stock, but will certainly go for alloys some time down the line (maybe smoked black/matt silver combo ones) and will get tints before the delhi summer kicks in.

On teh tyres, teh SA informed me that all SLEs are now being shiped only with JKs. but he will try to get BS for me, but i am not too optimistic. Apparently BS come only on VLX now. BTW, the VLX now comes with a new alloy design that is much better than the earlier one.....
Agreed on guards - No pls. Alloys look great on Scorp. Wait for pictures of my beast by end of day today. It has gone for servicing. Insist on BS tyres. I was talking to HVK who has just come from gruelling trip to Ladakh - Lahaul - Spiti etc. He says Scorp is the best VFM SUV you can get and Yokohamas are best. Specially in wet conditions. If you can exchange by paying few more rupees make sense - that in case you dont get BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have seen some new SLEs with MRF Wanderers and Apollo Hawkz too. Ask the SA if he can manage them at least. JKs are pathetic man; I am just waiting for my Scorp to complete at least 40k kms so that I can change them after that.

Cheers,
Vikram
JK - Avoid if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
My gripes against the JKs are mainly the noise levels during highways drives [above 70-80 kmph] and grip in wet conditions. That's not to say that the grip on dry tarmac is fantastic, but in wet conditions, it's downright scary, IMO. Also, the feedback from some of the technicians at the ASC that I go to is that the JKs contribute to a firmer ride quality [compared to a VLX with Bridgestone Duellers].

The only positives are no punctures in 28k kms yet [touchwood!], and with a 10k kms alignment/balancing/rotation schedule, they still have quite a bit of life left in them [at least 15k by my amateur judgment].
Good to hear that, Vikram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
himanshu considering the fact that you are hooked onto the scorpio now, please note this vehicle has its own share of niggles.
  • The mundane power window's mood swings
  • the occasional creaky noise from the last row of seats
  • the Odo's plastic panel vibrating et all.
However keep these aside it's one heck of a 2.2 power mil to drive around.

I have fairly driven the Dicor 2.2 also, comfort wise the Dicor scores over the Scorp'. The 2nd row seats of the Dicor is any-day better than the Mhawk. Heck who cares about the middle row when you are the one driving . I love the stance and the space the Dicor has, miles ahead of the scorp. I don't want to be biased here, but each vehicle has its own share of niggles.
Check the under thigh support of both the vehicles and you will know what I am talking about.

Getting the BS duelers should be a fairly easy job man. Ask the sales guy to swap them for you while doing the PDI. Good luck and drive safe.
I have had minor issues with windows. That's it. Yes, the second row seat drive may not be great compared to Safari. but on good highways when the beast cuises, you wont feel much diifference. It is only in city like Bangalore - specially when you have to manouver so many humps, you get frustrated!!

Quote:
I do understand that the newer ones - 2.2 Mhawks of 2009-2010-2011 vintage, are better in terms of handling but I have not been able to discern all that much difference between my 2008 model and these.
Hence my thoughts are running in the direction of change as Im beginning to get hassled by the "bounce factor" even though I very rarely sit at the back. The vehicle is inherently top heavy and tall and this does affect its handling and comfort. It is not a point and shoot machine - one does have to wrestle the wheel around bends which in turn causes bounce at the rear and in the front passenger seat.
Having said all of this, it is still a very tough vehicle, capable of taking tremendous abuse. Overall a very good VFM option if a hard riding ute is what one wants.
Possibly I am getting a bit older and more evolved and consequently my expectations are changing, which is why I want a better handling, monocoque, car like SUV now for greater comfort in my daily drive.
Well said sir. One will be amazed at handling which is smooth for such a big car. It is a tough vehicle and tremendous VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is what it boils down to. Apart from the slightly bouncy ride there is little/nothing to find fault with, in the Scorpio, which is why it sells almost as many numbers as the Innova, month on month.
Its reliability, serviceability, and VFM quotient are impossible to beat in its segment.
Well said Devdath. This is the best VFM SUV in the country.

I have driven the Scorp for 31K KMs in last ten months and have not faced any issues - touch wood - and hope it will remain so. In fact my car met with bad accident and took all the brunt and saved us!! After repairs, it is a beauty again!!

Dont go for Micro Hybrid version. Not worth paying extra money for cosmetic stuff.

Last edited by Fauji : 7th September 2011 at 12:18.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Insist on BS tyres. I was talking to HVK who has just come from gruelling trip to Ladakh - Lahaul - Spiti etc. He says Scorp is the best VFM SUV you can get and Yokohamas are best. Specially in wet conditions. If you can exchange by paying few more rupees make sense - that in case you dont get BS.
The BS in discussion are H/T (Highway Terrain) whereas the Yokos that HVK is referring to are A/T (All Terrain) tyres. There is a massive difference in traction between both the tyres. Both Yoko's are slightly softer compound so they will wear out faster.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 14:39   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Himanshu. So is the Scorp decided? Having driven both the Safari (your's too) and Scorp, the Safari felt much more stable and steady at higher speeds but, M-hawk felt a lot peppier over the CRDe engine.

Where Scorp fails to impress is in its stance and interior room. The handling leaves a lot to be desired not to mention the constant bobbiness that's inherent to its nature.

Btw, does the base version come with ABS? I hope it does, it should made a mandatory feature now in all cars.

Would be interesting to know your Top 5 points for choosing the scorp over not waiting for the Merlin ( Keeping the expensive part aside)
Old 7th September 2011, 14:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Himanshu. So is the Scorp decided? Having driven both the Safari (your's too) and Scorp, the Safari felt much more stable and steady at higher speeds but, M-hawk felt a lot peppier over the CRDe engine.

Where Scorp fails to impress is in its stance and interior room. The handling leaves a lot to be desired not to mention the constant bobbiness that's inherent to its nature.

Btw, does the base version come with ABS? I hope it does, it should made a mandatory feature now in all cars.

Would be interesting to know your Top 5 points for choosing the scorp over not waiting for the Merlin ( Keeping the expensive part aside)
Hey Avi,

Yes, the scorp is pretty much finalised, unless tata srpings a surpirse by launchng Merlin in the next 10 days and at under 10 L (both unlikely)

I agree that the Safari has a better sorted handling, but the Mhawk is pretty close and a vast improvement over the earlier Crde. What i will certainly miss is the comfort of the Safari, but what i willc ertainly not miss is the interior finish and fittings- here the current Scorpio is at least half a generation ahead of the Safari. Given my sedate driving style, i should be OK. I realise that the Scorpio is a compromise and this is a Head over Heart decision, but such decisions are necessary in life....atleast it is an SUV and its Black

I am going in for the SLE that has ABS- the prime motivator since the ABS equiped Safari is a couple of lakhs over my budget.

I have asked my new office in Delhi to get the bookings done and hoefully, the car should be delivered the day I land in Delhi (6th Oct).

O.T. i am visitning Hyd on the 2nd Oct to the 5th to sell of the SX4- meet you and the gang then......
Old 7th September 2011, 16:01   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes the Scorp needs ABS badly.
I didnt say it was a good handler at all, but yes the engine is smooth.
Yes it is tough and great VFM.
Micro Hybrid is not cosmetic by any stretch of the imagination. It is a good technology which to some extent at least, helps reduce emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Dont ever think of Scorp without ABS. Well said sir.

One will be amazed at handling which is smooth for such a big car. It is a tough vehicle and tremendous VFM.
Well said Devdath. This is the best VFM SUV in the country.

Dont go for Micro Hybrid version. Not worth paying extra money for cosmetic stuff.
Old 7th September 2011, 16:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Avi,

I am going in for the SLE that has ABS- the prime motivator since the ABS equiped Safari is a couple of lakhs over my budget.
Wise decision!! This was one of the reasons which made me opt for Scorpio over Safari - apart from all plusses and minusses - and i don't regret a bit.
Old 7th September 2011, 16:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Micro Hybrid is not cosmetic by any stretch of the imagination. It is a good technology which to some extent at least, helps reduce emissions.
Agreed. I should have worded correctly to say "high end version" which also comes with Micro hybrid and other cosmetics. However, one can switch off the engine manually even now which i do many times. Do we need to pay more for that? That is the question.
Old 7th September 2011, 16:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

During my recent Orrisa trip, I had traveled in Scorpio for more than 500 KMs in a day. Scorpio was one month old and LX version with mHawk engine. We had two Scorpios other was M2DI. I am not comparing with M2DI.

Being a Safari owner here is fair comparison between both the vehicle.

Handling:
Scorpio: Scary on turns and on quick maneuver.

Safari: It is also scary but little less.

Space Inside:
Scorpio: I am 6 feet tall. For me it is like lack of space everywhere in Scorpio. Whether passenger seat of middle seat.

Safari: All seats are very very spacious. All seats are sofasets in Safari (except jump seats).

Comfort:
Scorpio: I can say recent Scorpio improved its suspension to many degrees compared to old. My ride on one month old Scorpio was comfortable than my bumpy experience with previous gen Scorpios.

Safari: Very very comfortable in all roads and space inside add more comfort quotient.

Engine:
Scorpio: Gem of an engine and peppier like petrol engine. ( Am I saying more?)

Safari: Very nice engine but due to huge weight of Safari it is little slow compared to Scorpio.

----------------------------------------------------------------
There are many finer points also, but these are main points I can say.

Last edited by anujmishra : 7th September 2011 at 16:42.
Old 7th September 2011, 16:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
During my recent Orrisa trip, I had traveled in Scorpio for more than 500 KMs in a day. Scorpio was one month old and LX version with mHawk engine. We had two Scorpios other was M2DI. I am not comparing with M2DI.

Being a Safari owner here is fair comparison between both the vehicle.

Handling:
Scorpio: Scary on turns and on quick maneuver.

Safari: It is also scary but little less.

Space Inside:
Scorpio: I am 6 feet tall. For me it is like lack of space everywhere in Scorpio. Whether passenger seat of middle seat.

Safari: All seats are very very spacious. All seats are sofasets in Safari (except jump seats).

Comfort:
Scorpio: I can say recent Scorpio improved its suspension to many degrees compared to old. My ride on one month old Scorpio was comfortable than my bumpy experience with previous gen Scorpios.

Safari: Very very comfortable in all roads and space inside add more comfort quotient.

Engine:
Scorpio: Gem of an engine and peppier like petrol engine. ( Am I saying more?)

Safari: Very nice engine but due to huge weight of Safari it is little slow compared to Scorpio.

----------------------------------------------------------------
There are many finer points also, but these are main points I can say.
Anuj, I hear you my friend....and concur.

Like I said, my heart still wants to go for Safari, but the damn GX is way beyond my bidget....and I will certainly not want to buy yet another non ABS Safari- once was enough (BTW, have you ever felt the need for ABS on your Safari?). ABS at the 10 L price point, along with better quality interiors is the only reason I am going for scorpio.

I will be driving the car at most times with only my kid in the back seat, so should be OK. I found the drivers seat to be quite OK for my 6 foot frame, the only issue being the slightly less shoulder room towards the right.

Even though i was not happy with A.S.S. of TML, from what i am reading on the Scorpio issues thread, Mahindra A.S.S. is pretty pathetic as well. So that would be the same for both.

I had my heart set on the Merlin but given that it will likely be launched at Auto expo and will be priced significantly more than 10 L, i have to let go for now with a heavy heart!
Old 7th September 2011, 17:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anuj, I hear you my friend....and concur.
BTW, have you ever felt the need for ABS on your Safari?
Thank you. Both are good car and certainly Scorpio has edge over refinement section.

To be honest. I never felt need for ABS in my Safari. Just now I completed my 3600 Kms trip in all rains (Bangalore - Nagpur - Shirdi - Mumbai - Bangalore). It was very comfortable drive even on some non existent sections between Hyderabad and Nagpur and bad roads between Nagpur and Shirdi.

In all roads, I faced loads of rains and in those rains, I had to further control my speed. Even my family was traveling and their comfort & safety are above anything.

The reason what I felt is, I am sedate driver and I keep my speed limited to 100 Kmph in very good section and at the max I go 110 Kmph in very clean and wide roads. Never rush (In teamBHP terms RedLine) with my Safari knowing its capability (nor I want to do with any sedans also). In normal roads for me 60 - 80 Kmph for me is sufficient.

With this speed also I am able to do Bangalore - Nagpur in 16.5 hours.

Also, I had never got chance to do panic breaking during past 1 year of ownership.

This is my summary of experience with my Safari.

Edit: My experience doesn't mean that ABS is not helpful. It is always nice to have safety feature.

Last edited by anujmishra : 7th September 2011 at 17:21.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Some update on the quote:

OTR is now 10.10 L with insurance now being offered at 10 K (70 percent discount!)

plus matting, mudflaps etc free.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:27   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
plus matting, mudflaps etc free.
hey, mudflaps are already standard with the car, isnt it?
Old 7th September 2011, 21:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey, mudflaps are already standard with the car, isnt it?
Yup....u have a point.....that didnt strike me....so time to get some more freebies off the dealer.

And to think all this negotiation is happening on the hone with me in Mumbai and the dealer in Delhi.....i havent even been to the showroom.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so time to get some more freebies off the dealer.
Get these scuff plates: Mahindra Scorpio Exteriors | Scuff Plate | Scorpio Brochure | Mahindra SUV India

Even though they appear ornamental, they are really quite useful in protecting the edges of the carpeted floor.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks