Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 08:27   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Imran, whereas I am considering a SUV at a ~15L price bracket, my brother, who would be doing away with his Yeti is looking at SUV's in ~25L range.

We are considering the Pajero Sport, but...the dealership in Patna has just one Pajero Sport in red and they wish to sell it before ordering another and ordering another will take time.

Another dealership is in Calcutta, we can buy from there, but to get the Pajero Sport serviced, we would either have to go to Patna or Calcutta. Siliguri, which has most car manufacturers sale & service outlet doesn't have a Mitsubishi outlet.

I have spent ~18 months and ~68k with a SFX and know nothing will go wrong. I am not sure of the same with the Pajero Sport.

Mitsubishi's Pajero Sport is in a league of its own, but its time Mitsubishi entirely revamped its product line up and dealership/service line up. Else the sales will dwindle, company will bow out and existing customers will be left floundering.

Lancer and Pajero's brand name recognition is right there, but if the momentum is not maintained, it can't survive.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:27   #422
Senior - BHPian

I can say a few things about Scorpio VLX 4WD.

Last month on a trip to Aligarh we took the Taj Expressway from Greater Noida to Tappal exit.

I set the cruise control at 140 kmph which actually would have been about 132 kmph.

The car was perfectly stable, yes a high car and a boxy design would have a higher wind noise and all but the drive was excellent I would say.

Sheel - about this 1997 model India Pajero, the driver who drives it has been at our house for about 20 years now.
He hates it. I dont know the fuel consumption on highway but in urban Patna it will hardly be 3 or 4 KMPL. There was a time in 1986 when I was in 12th Std and a Maruti 800 used to drive 17 kmpl and my old Fiat ( PP ) did 14.4 kmpl on Patna to Barh / Begusarai stretch.

Those days are gone.

But this guy keeps complaining that Pajero has a bigger turning radius, consumes more fuel, seat headrest is not good etc. etc. because he wants to go back to a scorpio. He used to drive a black Scorpio M2DI earlier and wishes to be given the new White mHawk Scorpio that I have there. No idea why he hated this Pajero so much.

We went offroad two moths ago at night in this black Pajero and a brand new Gypsy.

I had gone ahead in the open Gypsy and told him to follow me in the Pajero. The ground was ruts and slush. THe Pajero got stuck. He did all kind of antics. I just watched. My brother called me from the Pajero that he is stuck. I said sit inside the car I am coming this car cannot be stuck in this terrain it has some good gizmos.

But impatient nuts. They dug it in further.

I went back in the gypsy, made a survey, walked around the car, asked a guy to lift me through the slush into the Pajeros driver sit.

Sat in the Pajero, engaged central diff lock shifted into low range 2.

Steered left and right a bit, cleared the path. Rocked the car back and forth a few yards at a time. On the fourth run gave it a bit of power and it popped out. Drove it twice through the slush again to a sea of gasping heads.

By this time a tractor arrived that had called to tow them out from the village.

The car is good. The best offroader availabe in India at the moment.

Last edited by desertfox : 20th December 2013 at 11:40.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:53   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Imran, whereas I am considering a SUV at a ~15L price bracket, my brother, who would be doing away with his Yeti is looking at SUV's in ~25L range. We are considering the Pajero Sport, but...the dealership in Patna has just one Pajero Sport in red and they wish to sell it before ordering another and ordering another will take time. Another dealership is in Calcutta, we can buy from there, but to get the Pajero Sport serviced, we would either have to go to Patna or Calcutta. Siliguri, which has most car manufacturers sale & service outlet doesn't have a Mitsubishi outlet. I have spent ~18 months and ~68k with a SFX and know nothing will go wrong. I am not sure of the same with the Pajero Sport. Mitsubishi's Pajero Sport is in a league of its own, but its time Mitsubishi entirely revamped its product line up and dealership/service line up. Else the sales will dwindle, company will bow out and existing customers will be left floundering. Lancer and Pajero's brand name recognition is right there, but if the momentum is not maintained, it can't survive.
Greetings
Well tell the dealer you'd pick up another vehicle and under no circumstance will you pick up a red from them. If they want to they get the vehicle within 2 weeks . In my case it was a matter of days where they got it for me!
I ll tell you now with the anniversary edition I even told them I want everything but the stickers and they managed it .
My dad was in Castleton Tea garden he was the manager a few years back and we bought our lancer from chandigarh got it driven down to Siliguri and then we took it for its services to Calcutta. Shah automobiles if I am correct ?
Well if you are happy with the Sfx you'd be happier with this. I've still retained my Glx but the sport is a big improvement. Be it road behavior or acceleration and most importantly the mileage. Neither the Glx or the Sfx have ever returned over 9 but this gives me much more. With Mitsubishi it's a product built to last if you want to retain it . I am happy with my dealer and have always driven out with a smile
I think they're concentrating on the SUV line and have an auto PS, outlander and a premium Montero coming in next year.
I trust Mitsubishi whether it be their vehicles or the company and know they'd survive and still remain the best as per product quality and refinement. Isn't practical but if you're up for the drive I can arrange any colour you'd want.
Regards
Imran
Old 20th December 2013, 16:58   #424
BHPian

Is the Ford Endeavor an option?
Old 20th December 2013, 18:09   #425
BANNED

Quote:
I believe it is because you have got used to it
Could be, but then, so has Hariya and has not complained till date. So I guess it is not very bad, given the VFM equation that I currently have.

Quote:
As far as I have observed, a diesel cruising at revs around 2,000 to 2,200 feels relaxed. Over it, it feels hyper (not strained) but you can feel the engine spinning.

On that front, Yeti is comfiest. 2,000 revs at 120kmph.
How?
Yup, but for 120kmph @ 2000-2200rpm, one would need a Safari 3.0 or a Fortuner, both of which have other drawbacks.

Yes the Yeti is a very competent highway cruiser but its lack of road presence, space for 5 with luggage and its iffy service reputation with costly spares puts me away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The main reason is that the T-Fort has a much more powerful engine so the gearing is tall and at 120 rpm is much less than that of the Pajero Sport.
Did you mean the SFX or the Sport, because the Sport's power is higher than the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Compare the seats, the feel of the steering everything.
While I agree with most of what you ve said Imran, I feel that the middle row of the Sport is not as good as the Fortuner. It is narrower, has lesser under thigh support and is kind of flat. What do you think?

Quote:
We are considering the Pajero Sport
I can help you buy one from Bangalore of the color of your choice, with discounts and I can drive it down to Purnea too, if you are too busy to do it, that is.

Quote:
I have spent ~18 months and ~68k with a SFX and know nothing will go wrong. I am not sure of the same with the Pajero Sport.

Mitsubishi's Pajero Sport is in a league of its own, but its time Mitsubishi entirely revamped its product line up and dealership/service line up. Else the sales will dwindle, company will bow out and existing customers will be left floundering.
I had a chance to drive a 2011 SFX last evening and I must say that I was impressed. The drive was confined to the city and was a 20 km drive but it left me grinning. The torque of the DI engine is simply addictive, the vehicle is so chuckable, and its ride quality too was great.

I do not think that Mitsubishi will shut shop in India but yes, they need to get up and do something, fast.

Quote:
Well if you are happy with the Sfx you'd be happier with this.
How many kms has your Sport done? What is the FE you get? Can you post a few pictures please?
Also, one of the reasons I do not like the Anniversary Edition is because they removed the MID and put that mediocre double DIN ICE. The Sport does not have an MID now and that kinds of makes it even more boring and over priced.
Old 20th December 2013, 18:41   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Could be, but then, so has Hariya and has not complained till date. So I guess it is not very bad, given the VFM equation that I currently have. Yup, but for 120kmph @ 2000-2200rpm, one would need a Safari 3.0 or a Fortuner, both of which have other drawbacks. Yes the Yeti is a very competent highway cruiser but its lack of road presence, space for 5 with luggage and its iffy service reputation with costly spares puts me away. Did you mean the SFX or the Sport, because the Sport's power is higher than the Fortuner. While I agree with most of what you ve said Imran, I feel that the middle row of the Sport is not as good as the Fortuner. It is narrower, has lesser under thigh support and is kind of flat. What do you think? I can help you buy one from Bangalore of the color of your choice, with discounts and I can drive it down to Purnea too, if you are too busy to do it, that is. I had a chance to drive a 2011 SFX last evening and I must say that I was impressed. The drive was confined to the city and was a 20 km drive but it left me grinning. The torque of the DI engine is simply addictive, the vehicle is so chuckable, and its ride quality too was great. I do not think that Mitsubishi will shut shop in India but yes, they need to get up and do something, fast. How many kms has your Sport done? What is the FE you get? Can you post a few pictures please? Also, one of the reasons I do not like the Anniversary Edition is because they removed the MID and put that mediocre double DIN ICE. The Sport does not have an MID now and that kinds of makes it even more boring and over priced.
Greetings
Well personally maybe I am biased but when I had the Fortuner I felt that there wasn't enough headroom when I compared it to my Innova or other cars. Even the seat felt a little slippery and the so called leather began to crack. When we did Chandigarh - Dharuheda - Chandigarh in a day the backseat passengers complained of a back ache which is not the case with the Pajero sport ( touchwood )
My Pajeros done nearly 9000 km. I get above 11 and below 12.2 so that's what it's been . I ll do an ownership review at the earliest . Haha requested them hence they gave me an MID. I have that near the empty box there usually is.
Regards
Old 20th December 2013, 19:15   #427
BANNED

Quote:
Haha requested them hence they gave me an MID. I have that near the empty box there usually is.
Regards
This is interesting. The MID, when fitted near the empty box in the centre console robs the vehicle of the following from the installations that I have seen:

1. The On/Off switch of the rear parking sensor.
2. The cigarette lighter/cell phone charger.
3. The foldable ash tray/utility box doesn't open/close.

Also, the fitment is pretty raw. I d rather have a single DIN sound system with the MID fitted where it originally used to be.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:39   #428
Senior - BHPian

The new Pajero is a crossover vehicle. Plugged in to compete with Toyota Fortuner in the 25 - 30 Lakh bracket.

Trace the pedigree. What goes around as Indian Pajero SFX which is 3 generations old 1997 to 2000 model Pajero is a genuine off roader for the mid level SUV market.

The new Pajero launched in India is not. It is derived from a twin cab Mitsubishi 4x4 farm truck similar to a Toyota Hi Lux.

Atleast Toyota has seen some development in this category from a Hi Lux to Surf, Surf to Fore runner and Fore runner to Fortuner.

This Pajero is a hastily put up piece, with little development and is very basic and spartan.

Yes the new one called Montaro here is the 5th generation Pajero but way too expensive.

This new Pajero one needs to check out the ride quality, looks, reliability off road and real off road ability.
Old 21st December 2013, 10:14   #429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The new Pajero is a crossover vehicle.
is all I can say.
Old 21st December 2013, 14:15   #430
BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting. The MID, when fitted near the empty box in the centre console robs the vehicle of the following from the installations that I have seen: 1. The On/Off switch of the rear parking sensor. 2. The cigarette lighter/cell phone charger. 3. The foldable ash tray/utility box doesn't open/close. Also, the fitment is pretty raw. I d rather have a single DIN sound system with the MID fitted where it originally used to be.
Greetings
Well I can take a picture and send you. Mine has the MID and the on and off switch of the radar , also the cigarette lighter and the foldable ashtray. I would not say the the fit and finish is perfect but it isn't bad either.
I didn't choose the single din for the fact that I didn't like the empty slot on top !
Guess sometimes you can have the cake and eat it too
Regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 14:54   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The new Pajero is a crossover vehicle. Plugged in to compete with Toyota Fortuner in the 25 - 30 Lakh bracket. Trace the pedigree. What goes around as Indian Pajero SFX which is 3 generations old 1997 to 2000 model Pajero is a genuine off roader for the mid level SUV market. The new Pajero launched in India is not. It is derived from a twin cab Mitsubishi 4x4 farm truck similar to a Toyota Hi Lux. Atleast Toyota has seen some development in this category from a Hi Lux to Surf, Surf to Fore runner and Fore runner to Fortuner. This Pajero is a hastily put up piece, with little development and is very basic and spartan. Yes the new one called Montaro here is the 5th generation Pajero but way too expensive. This new Pajero one needs to check out the ride quality, looks, reliability off road and real off road ability.
Greetings
I don't think it was just to compete with the Fortuner. Every manufacturer makes vehicles according to the demand of the market.
There are other vehicles in the market apart from the Fortuner and the Pajero like the endeavour , captiva etc etc.
Well with the same super select gearbox and maybe better angles for offroading I don't know how we've come to the conclusion that the Sfx was better ?
I have had both wouldn't I be able to compare both also ?
So the discussion on both being derived from pickup trucks stands because it is so but that doesn't help determine whether any of them is less capable than they should be . Isn't it ?
Well if you see it the other way it didn't take mitusbishi 2 vehicles in the middle to come up with a perfect SUV !
Again the hastily put up piece ? How do we conclude to that ?
Quality of the material on the Pajero is better whether you see the dash or the seats or anything as a matter of fact! Since I drove the new Fortuner for quite sometime hence I make that comparison although to each his own.
Ride quality is great it absorbs bumps way better than the toyota and certainly better offroad since I drove both on my farm.
Looks are subjective I prefer the PS ANYDAY. The thing is you see so many Fortuners that it is a common sight so no one gives it a second look. Now again that may vary state to state. Guess it isn't bas liking sometime outside the box . Haha
Here earlier it was a safari then endeavours and now the Fortuner there are far too many. When I bought it it got second looks because it was rare . Not the case now. It's a never ending debate. In my case I have 0% regret doing away with the Fortuner. If not compared to the Pajero it's a good car .
Regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 16:28   #432
BANNED

Quote:
Guess sometimes you can have the cake and eat it too
In that case, I am eagerly waiting for your pictures here, or even better, a complete ownership review of the Sport.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:38   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Is the Ford Endeavor an option?
A new version as per rumors should debut and if it solves its bounciness as well as the middle row's comfort, then yes, it can be considered.

Quote:
Yes the Yeti is a very competent highway cruiser but its lack of road presence, space for 5 with luggage and its iffy service reputation with costly spares puts me away.
You know why am I not retaining the Yeti?

The seat height. I have got used to a SUV seating and second being, the inability to clamber over road divider on a highway in case I am stuck in that lane, which in my case happens often.

Service is okay. But the car is bulletproof. 13 months and 37,000 kms and no issues, no rattles, squeaks, nothing.

BTW, from what I recall, Pajero Sport was supposed to come out earlier than the Fortuner, but it didn't happen.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:49   #434
BANNED

Quote:
The seat height. I have got used to a SUV seating and second being, the inability to clamber over road divider on a highway in case I am stuck in that lane, which in my case happens often.

Service is okay. But the car is bulletproof. 13 months and 37,000 kms and no issues, no rattles, squeaks, nothing.
Precisely. but...

Quote:
13 months and 37,000 kms and no issues, no rattles, squeaks, nothing.
Quote:
I have spent ~18 months and ~68k with a SFX and know nothing will go wrong.
The above sample sizes are miniscule, at least to my requirement and judgement.

The reason I am kinda stuck with the Japanese now (The Storme still has some ground) is because they have been proven to last more than 400,000kms abroad with normal maintenance and standard replacements for suspension parts, brake pads, clutch plates, batteries and tires.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:58   #435
Team-BHP Support

You would be better off with a Japanese. No need to ask anyone.

I have seen Qualis done ~4,00,000 kms and pictures of Qualis with close to 6L on the odo.

Don't even think of other cars.

Just for reference, a gent in US has an Accord done over 7,00,000 miles and his CBR over 2,00,000 miles & nothing has gone wrong & they are his daily rides.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed