Tata Safari 422 68.95%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier vs Tata Safari

I can’t vote on this.

But I would have voted the Safari.

Just yesterday, I booked my Tata Harrier. But I very well would have gone for the Safari if I could have stretched my already stretched budget by 1.5 lakhs (got discount on Harrier due to Safari launch). Also we are a family of 3 so the extra 2 seats were not a huge deal for us.

Keeping fingers crossed and hoping to upgrade from a Harrier to the Safari in a few years time.
CarGuy_DM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I've not seen both of them up close, I've voted for the Safari.

If I was in market for a comfortable 5 seater, I would have still considered Safari between these two as I get 2 extra seats for occasional use as well as all disc brakes plus a few more things. Suppose I need to do a 100 km trip with 6 people, with Harrier I'll have to take another vehicle but not with Safari. My only wish would be to get the Adventure Persona option in XZ and XZA variants too (I'm not a fan of sunroof).
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:47   #33
Team-BHP Support

I would pick the Safari over the Harrier principally for the following reasons:

1. The 2nd row (whether captains / bench) reclines and therefore adds hugely to back seat comfort.
2. Option value of accommodating extra passengers - its a nice to have.
3. It opens up luggage bearing space at a whole new level. Lovely for someone who frequently loads up his car with big items like bicycles etc.

Above three are THE clincher factors for me which would make me choose a Safari over a Harrier and despite the points I have listed below which are mostly pros to the Harrier.

Harrier PROs

1. External Size: In a perfect world, I prefer the smaller dimensions of the Harrier. The additional footprint the Safari commands is actually a downside to me since it would never be my flagship car and for a second car, I much prefer a Creta like footprint. It’s one thing to go beyond Creta into Harrier territory but Safari just makes it a full size big car.

2. Interior colors: I simply DO NOT care for the all white interiors of Safari. If I were to ever buy a Safari it would only be the Adventure version for the more maintenance friendly interior and the reduced chrome. Harrier interior seat color options are far better - both mocha and black.

3. Exterior colors: Safari exterior color options are too limiting. And if you want to avoid the white interior, you have ONLY one color options. Which is nice but it still doesn’t give you options for another color. Compare that to Harrier which has more colors, dual tone, regular color, black edition and camo. Multiple tasteful options to choose from.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:52   #34
BHPian

This is an easy one, as can be seen from the results already. The Safari offers everything that Harrier does and much more for a very small price. As someone mentioned, just 5%. The flexibility it offers in term of space usage is simply unbeatable.

Naturally, those who already bought or booked a Harrier will tend to pick that one over the Safari!
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:03   #35
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier- I'd never need a 3rd row of seats. The 3rd row in most cases is impractical and unusable anyway, it's like putting a couple of plastic stools next to a sofa set. That Harrier black is awesome, only wish they bring rear disc brakes to the Harrier too.

Side note- does the Safari suffer from the same issues with GNCAP testing as the Harrier, due to the positioning of the footwell? That could be a bummer for safety-oriented buyers.
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:20   #36
BHPian

They key difference between the Creta/Seltos crop of SUVs and the Harrier/Safari/Hector bracket is the difference in comfort levels over long distances. For long distance trips, every additional space counts a lot in improving practicality.

Furthermore, I found the third row of the Safari better than the 2nd row of a lot of budget hatchbacks, even though I measure 5'11". If you are just 5 people travelling, one person can always relax in the last row while also making the 2nd row comfortable for the other two.

The features and the brand are an icing on the top. My emotional journey till date has been:

Harrier is an okay car with too many niggles -> (Post a long trip) This is the perfect car for Indian roads but it's a bit too expensive -> (After seeing the Safari in person) Damn, I want the Safari!
nimishlalwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:38   #37
BHPian

Never considered the Harrier then. Never was planning to consider a Gravitas either...until they called it Safari which makes the vote simple .

However, I will agree with GTO and call out that the VFM tag of the Safari is perceived only because of the already overpriced Harrier which we see as datum for baselining the Safari against.

Showrooms are rejoicing with the bookings for the Safari and are confident of it's initial success. Once the euphoria dies down we will see how there is still some fat margins that can be cut. Especially with XUV launch we will see some definite price corrections in terms of offers, bonus etc.

Things that are worrying me before plonking my second kidney on my second Safari.

-Tata still has to sort out basic QC for its first ever 25 lakh car.
- GNCAP ratings please , this silence is very fishy.
- Am I brave enough again for beta testing another V1 Tata.? Or should I wait for the impending inevitable V2?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:15   #38
BHPian

Safari is an excellent value for money SUV. It offers a lot more for <1L premium compared to Harrier. Most likely that Tata is selling Safari at a lesser profit margin compared to Harrier. Safari will cannibalize Harrier sales and Tata will be glad about it.

It will be interesting to see over next few months if Tata will be able to dent Innova's sales.
Old 23rd February 2021, 22:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Harrier was always an extra large vehicle, well above the sweet spot of the Creta/ Seltos/ Compass - so it makes sense to have it in the 7 seater configuration, which the Safari offers.
That point right there. I too always felt the Harrier was too big for a car that essentially seats only 5. Call it middle class mentality but i nearly fainted when I saw a landrover sport autobiography edition was configured for 4!!!

For me a "big car" has to seat at least 6 in comfort. The way my family abuses the bootspace of my old Honda City, I will be more than happy to sacrifice that aspect for extra seats.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:22   #40
BHPian

Even though I'm a 2021 Harrier owner, I voted for the Safari!

The reason being Safari is the car I would've wanted, but Harrier is the one which suited my needs better. My needs were 90% city + suburb use. A car bigger than Harrier would've made things more cumbersome.

Although I must admit, things might have been different had I known that the Gravitas would be later known as Safari, at the time of purchase of my Harrier. I would've maybe waited a couple of months just for that nameplate!

As of yet, I don't regret the decision one bit. But given a choice between Harrier & Safari, I would choose the Safari.

(Now that my mind has received this food for thought of Safari, my mind is just beginning to toy with ideas of replacing my 2nd car )

Last edited by Big Smoke : 23rd February 2021 at 23:30.
Big Smoke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Safari.

Reasons, in priority order:-
  • The name. There would be hardly any "SUV-blooded soul" in India who will not feel that rush, just with the mention of the word "SAFARI"
  • The superb value for money it offers - both in absolute terms vis-a-vis its competition (Hector, Compass) and also in terms of its younger sibling (Harrier).
    XUV500 is perhaps the only mystery angle, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Planning to test drive in the coming days to see if the above holds true, in flesh.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 00:29   #42
Team-BHP Support

Just thinking about it, Tata seems to have positioned the Harrier wrongly and looking at this thread, the Harrier is nowhere in contention anymore.

What Tata should have done is position the Harrier as the urban, younger version appealing to lower genx, millenials. The Harrier should have had the larger 18 inch wheels, the electric handbrake and connected car tech which appeals more to the younger buyers. This would attract the Kia/Hyundai younger age buyers.

The Safari should have been the more mature option with the 17 inch wheels for rugged appeal and bit old schooled. The Safari clientele would have been the more family, mature but outdoorsy buyer.

Basically, look at the Harrier as the Evoque of RR and the Safari as the Disco Sport of LR.

This way demographic of buyers of both would be different and both would have different appeal. Right now Safari and Harrier have same appeal and almost all are picking Saafari over Harrier.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 04:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Safari by a long shot. 7 seats, better looking, nice interiors, more practical, all wheel disc brakes and that Safari name. I have had beautiful memories with a best friend's Safari who is also on the forum and he bought it after he casually asked me a question one day about choosing between Honda Civic and Octavia RS!

I also remember how I lusted after one when I saw it for the first time in 1998 in a Tata showroom. There was no other car that I wanted more. I wish it had some sort of all wheel drive if not a proper low range gearboox but its still a special car with special memories for me.
Old 24th February 2021, 04:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

The Safari any day. I've not seen both cars in person, but the extra seats, rear disc brakes, TPMS, e-parking brake, auto-hold are itself worth the price difference. I'd say the car is best used as a 4/5 seater on long highway journeys. I expect Harriers to have fat discounts now as people will be lining up for the Safari.

Tata has made tremendous strides in engineering - I would guess a more established brand if you don't show me the Tata logo. I hope TML improves quality too. More good products are best for customers.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th February 2021 at 04:34.
Old 24th February 2021, 06:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with you. But the Millennials/GenX are not Tata clientele. They're more with Kia/Hyundai (Sonet/Seltos/Creta), due to the youthful image. Tata appeals to the mature buyer in the 35-45 and onwards, age group. To reduce price dissonance between Harrier and Safari they certainly need differentiated positioning. A concept of chunking/grouping/friends for Harrier, while Safari is for the family, joint or otherwise. Tata's SOUL program should be for Harrier only, and not for Safari I feel. Create internal differences as well. 'Transactional Utility' can be played up to ensure consumers felt good and find value in Harrier even
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just thinking about it, Tata seems to have positioned the Harrier wrongly and looking at this thread, the Harrier is nowhere in contention anymore.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks