Kia Carens 9 1.39%
Toyota Innova Crysta 111 17.13%
Mahindra XUV700 253 39.04%
Others (please specify in your post) 6 0.93%
Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:20   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Both the Mahindras beating the king the segment (Innova) hands down, that's new!
They have positioned themselves well in SUV segment. Super response for their last 3 launches Thar / XUV700 / ScorpioN all of them will have huge waiting period. Thats job well done and Honda needs to learn how to engage audience and create a niche.

Now its time for them to enter 4.4M segment, I think XUV 500 will come in the new avatar targeting Creta / Seltos

Last edited by Asoon : 3rd August 2022 at 19:21.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:21   #47
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

Voted for Crysta.

Between Xuv700 & Crysta, for me it's mind vs heart decision.

Mind says go for Crysta despite expensive but trouble free ownership. Less features, but more comfort.

Heart says, now is the time all fancy features like Panoramic sunroof, bigger screen are mandate given you're spending close to 30 big one.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:25   #48
BHPian

Being in the market for a car in this segment, I can say that there is no best or worst option. Except for the Alcazar, which looks like a wart on Indian auto world's butt.

Each one caters to a different audience:

Kia Carens: Strictly family car. For serious people with kids and responsibilities but at the same time a disregard for safety.

Scorpio N: It's not about the third row. It's about the driver's seat. Boss Of The Road car.

Tata Safari: Nostalgia and a chance to admire new Mahindras on the road as they zip by.

Innova: The Ultimate Chauffer Driven Transport.

Hector Plus: Comfort, comfort and comfort. Everything else takes the rear-most third seat.

XUV700: Complete package.

Last edited by naru80 : 3rd August 2022 at 19:27.
naru80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Voted for others !!

None of these cars satisfy me 100% and justify their pricing. They are just big from outside only and has good engines but none of them is true 7 seater and don't have sufficient luggage space. In fact some of them have hardly any space for third row and has pathetic boot space with all rows up which is just ridiculous. After spending 25-30 big ones also you have to compromise a lot which is so frustrating.

Last year I bought Ertiga which I got only for 11.3 Lakhs on road for Zxi+ model (top end). It offers good amount of features too. I am 100 % satisfied with it and really enjoying it. In fact I am more than just happy and it has delivered me more than I expected. It has very good ride, smooth engine and offers very good FE. In last one year, haven't spent a single rupee till now on maintenance, not joking (its just under 10 K kms and first service will be doing soon). It offers 7 seat option + some luggage carrying capacity like above list, in fact does better than some of the above cars in terms of space. It has sliding middle row, if adjusted properly can get good space for 3rd row as well. I didn't get big engine but when I paid so less I am not complaining at all. Plus I get peace of mind it being Maruti which is cherry on top.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by aniketi : 3rd August 2022 at 19:46.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:15   #50
BHPian

XUV 700 - literally 007 :-)

Amazing product balancing the urban and SUV traits. Even the height of XUV 700 is less than Innova, not too boxy and not too low. Amazing engine options across segments. Amazing pricing across customer preferences. Amazing security features across variants.

If Mahindra could maintain the quality and service satisfaction, nothing stops XUV
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:39   #51
BHPian

Heart says Safari, mind says XUV700. Voted for the XUV700. What a package it is. When it comes to reliability or ASS, XUV700 may not be very different from that of Safari, both are handsome looking as well. But as a package XUV700 wins - hands down.
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:17   #52
BHPian

I have booked the Safari.

But I would vote for XUV700, because I think that offers the best overall package among the options listed. It is better on the driving dynamics part, from what I could make out from whatever short distance I was allows to test drive it.
I opted for the Safari because of the insane waiting period for the XUV700. Waiting for 18 months is impractical.

Not listed here is the Jeep Compass. The main reason I didn't go for the compass is the price (the diesel AT version with specs similar to Safari / XUV700) as well as the lack of space. If price was not a consideration & if not in need of a spacious second row, I would pick the Compass any day over Safari / XUV700. Less space; but Build quality, driving dynamics, safety and the interior quality are much better.

Hector looks 'different' in not a likeable way (subjective), the service network is patchy and is not known for its driving dynamics.

Innova has less features and is much more expensive for a (somewhat) similar spec version of a safari or XUV700. And is badly due for an update. Reliability is unmatched, as is resale value. But it couldn't win the heart.

Carens is probably not in the same league.
Alcazar not as good in the driving dept, build quality and in looks (subjective) as Compass/XUV700/Safari.
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:25   #53
BHPian

I will pick Scorpio any day. Especially, if I am picking it as a family car for long travel and exploring new areas. I had multiple instances in the past, where in long trip, I had to put 4X4 L to come out of some unknown terrain, that we got in to. (Without our knowledge). Just because of 4X4, I pick Scorpio over XUV.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:49   #54
BHPian

Voted for XUV700. From the top 2 contenders,

Innova crysta meets most of the requirements for the most trustworthy car from this list, but the crazy cost premium and recent increase from Toyota plays spoilt sport.

While the current generation of XUV700 has some issues, but going by the history from Mahindra, most of them should be fixed in the future generations. This, along with the Mahindra DNA to bring in newer technologies like ADAS, and AWD for the off-road enthusiast in this segment, definitely helped my decision to vote for the XUV700
Old 4th August 2022, 01:18   #55
BHPian

The Innova makes the best choice for today. It's not the first choice if all things were equal.

Why not these,
1. Scorpio-M : I don't see this as a car that I can keep for 5 years. It's changed to make it relevant, but there is generational change in what it is. It's still in the scorpio but refreshed. It's bigger, but does not translate to better sitting comfort or space in the middle. Has some new electronics, but I don't see that making it relevant with how Mahindra has delivered it. The ride is a little better, but the construction shows in the drive, handling passenger comfort etc. Everything else is just a little here and there but not something I makes is a must buy. Over all its a a little improvement on each aspect, but not a generational change. Will already start to feel dated in a couple of years. The rate of change in this industry is higher than it was a decade ago. Personally, don't see how this can be a proud buy a couple years from now, or feel practical for all purposes a little into the future too.

2. Safari: This is already dated. The name only takes you into the showroom and for a drive. The only place where this wins is in the space and middle row comfort, in all all other areas its already two years old and it shows. At the asking rate this is not where I would put my money in. This is a 80% car, for what I would like, maybe XUV has spoilt this segment. This could have been so much more with such little effort and would have been a segment leader. It has the right size, the right build, the right looks and its positioned so correctly, but it just falls 20% short is every other metric.
To start with, the ride and handling, the steering is too hard, hydraulic, could have been better. I am not a purist with mechanical v/s electric, but this is just too old tech and basic. The driver ergonomics are bad with all the interior shaping, such a waste, on something that need not have to be spoiled. Engine, no effort made by TATA to make this really correct for its size. Should have been 2.2 atleast, why? Not because it's a 20L+ car, just because there is an ideal ratio of CC to weight plus gear mapping that will get the best performance and economics. The XUV is bigger in CC and gets better milage, why because it's just the right engine size for that car. This size of the car has to be either rear wheel drive or AWD. Even though majority people buy FWDs in this segment, I am not sure many people even look for this when they buy. For a 1.5 Ton+ car and 300+ NM FWD has its own restrictions on drivability and stability. You can feel the torque steer. While the XUV is also sold in FWD, I would not buy that version anyway.
The electronics is a catch up game, when market moved ahead the safari is constantly moving with what it can, a little touch screen here, one there etc. Still below today's acceptable standards. Lastly, the suspension, for a car this size and the comfort of the seating for a car built on the D8 platform no multi link? That changes the entire passenger experience. Everything else in the new safari is so correct, including the price. I almost bought this, but then just stopped short. This would be the No.1 choice if that last crucial 20% was different. I don't think TATA is looking this way, they seem to have wanted one car in the 7 seater and then they just modified the harrier.

3: Hector : Don't trust the brand, the car, enough to pay 20L+.

4: Alcazar : This is really not in this segment, its just a Creta with some additional seats. Too small, too cramped, too under powered. Its just a budget buy. Would seem practical on the day you bought it. Might feel like a smart 7 seater buy, but would not meet so many requirement a month down the lane.

5: Carens: Smart car, makes a lot of sense. It's actually an ertiga with the right relevant features. Like, if I would take the ertiga and say what are the changes that I would like to see to make it the perfect car? since ertiga has the right value for what is offers at the price point, I get the Carens. I would first take the NA engine and get the Turbo in there for better output per drop of fuel, check. Would get better size tyres, check. The size is ideal would not change it, check. Would add a sun/moon roof just for the heck of it, check. Would add ventilated seats, check. Get a better drive train, maybe a DSG, check. Get today's electronics, some digital dash etc, check. Get more than average sound system, check. Get better braking, add all disc, check. And Hey, presto we have the ideal Ertiga, err...I mean the Carens to drive. This is a very practical amazing value for money car, maybe my beater car for next 5 years, but still if this takes the parking space for a real 7 seater, maybe we will wait on this one and come back if nothing else fits.

6: XUV 700 : Its like buying an apartment now. You pay a initial deposit, then watch it getting build, see some price hike, change a couple of houses and then you get an OC. I see no point in waiting for this when you want something in a reasonable time. Everything ticks, maybe a little of M&M's philosophy on letting the customers do the final 10% testing of the vehicles is a grouse, it's just window shopping only now. It might as well have been a concept car. For those who have this in their garrages, lucky!

7: The Innova : The current most practical choice.
This has been around for so long, yet big T has tried to keep it relevant to a large degree. This is how the other T (TATA) should have handled the Safari. Does not fit my basic requirement of a middle bench seat (any one with little kids will knowhow critical that is) but then what ever it looses is not a deal breaker if the right seating option was available. The 2 WD Fortuner is 30% more for just a bench seat, with the same usable features, like space etc, and does a little more. Its not motivation enough to add 10L more just for that. The innovation is the rightly engineered car for that size. Right amount of space, height, sitting comfort including the last seat (this is similar to the safari, so the safari is the loser here), power/torque to weight/wheelbase size, the tyres could have been a size bigger and maybe a rear disc would insprie more confidence, but its not a deal breaker. Its RWD, multi link and long wheelbased. The electronics is old, some additions like LEDs, charging etc, are just to keep it relevant, but when you buy and drive and Innova you will get an Innova mindset and not a Jeep Meridian mindset so you think differently of who you are as a driver of this car, and expect both the ownership and for those who care the outlook of being an owner of this car differently from a SUV owner/driver. So just from a practicality if you need to put 25L+ I would put it here. (may be the Carens will save a lot of money here, hence its still on the N-1 list).
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 05:08   #56
BHPian

Though they are priced same or similar, which we were all expecting will be different (which is not the reality now), My preference is Scorpio with an "N". They could have chosen Scorpion simply but no, we all know how Mahindra follows the naming of their vehicles. They wanted to preserve the "O" and have a suffix too.

Scorpio has 4WD unlike XUV700 and ladder on frame will be build more tough for abuse across bad roads/no roads across Himachal Pradesh. Plus I do a lot of traveling on those roads and I also feel that the spare parts will be a little bit cheaper than for the Ultra modern XUV700.

I personally feel that too many gadgets down the road might be a little more troublesome though ScorpioN is also equipped with new tech. d

Only other cars that I'll consider will be Tata Safari and Toyota Innova Crysta but they are not 4WD, otherwise they are indeed good competitors for ScorpioN.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:12   #57
BHPian

Voted for XUV700!

It will be the overall winner for me if I have to put my money down. Anyways if I have to choose with my heart, I would choose Safari any day. Innova is a proven work-horse but its too old for my liking. Alcazar's face, though it is up to the current trend, it is a turn-off for me. Carens is a nice 7 seater option and would consider it if I am going for an MPV. Hector, somehow I never loved its looks.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:29   #58
Team-BHP Support

Has to be the ScorpioN amongst the choices.

# Has a 4X4 with a low-range.

# Good GC, approach / departure & break-over angles.

# Decent OE music systems and par for the course gadgets.

# Should be having good safety ratings.

# Drives well, rides good, handles okay, is competent, has good poke for expressway cruisabaility and still can go where a tractor goes.

# Tried & tested 2.2 M-Hawk. I am driving the same engine (in the S-10 4WD) and its flawless mechanically, stock clutch even after 1L kms.

# Decent AT GB, just wish it had paddle shifters as I frequent hills often, while descending it's useful.
Old 4th August 2022, 12:20   #59
BHPian

It is Xuv700 over Scorpio N.

But my vote will be for Safari any day for the better ride quality and that Hyundai sourced AT gearbox. XUV 700 looks very weird to my eyes (especially those headlamps in a combination with the front grill)

*Could not vote since I am a newbie*
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 14:27   #60
BHPian

Voted for Scorpio N.

I currently have Harrier 2020 XZA+ model. While it has loads of space, however it misses and falls short on quite a few features. Similar issue with Safari.

XUV 700 is a close second for me. In fact I am still confused whether I should go for XUV 700 or Scorpio N as replacement for Harrier.

MG Hector Plus - Chinese lineage with questionable company ethics.

Hyundai Alcazar - Slightly larger i20 with triple the price.

Toyota Innova Crysta - Reliable..however is becoming dated and seems overpriced for the top variants.

Most Viewed