Toyota Innova Crysta 111 17.13%
Mahindra XUV700 253 39.04%
Others (please specify in your post) 6 0.93%
Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 18:15   #121
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

Voted for XUV700

would have voted for Harrier/safari Just for the perfect mechanicals, especially the automatic ones, and adequate gizmos but they look old in front of XUV. May be upcoming facelift will make the change.
Old 29th July 2023, 23:36   #122

Which SUV/MUV(with big boot) to buy under 25 lakhs?

Hello BHPian's,

Firstly I would like to thank you all for contributing to this wonderful platform. Even though I am an avid reader and have a habit of going through Forum on a daily basis, this is the first time I am starting a new thread. Will try and be more active in the coming days.

Background-Currently we have a 2015 Ford Ecosport titanium diesel and 2009 Corolla Altis GL petrol. Due to business related work our daily running is very high plus occasionally we go on cross country road trips. As a result our Ecosport has clocked about 260k and Altis is about to touch 200k. Both Cars have served us very well but due to the NGT ban we will have to retire them soon.

Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others-ecosport.png
Ecosport at Gurudongmar Lake, Sikkim

Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others-altis.jpg
Enjoying a snowy day with Altis

So we are looking to add another car to our garage. Originally my plan was to buy a used diesel sedan of MY 2018-20 with a budget of 10 lakhs that can be used mostly for official purposes, and then in the next couple of years add a SUV which can fulfill our travel goals. But my dad is a little skeptical about used cars and even after showing him a some good options he was not convinced.

So I modified the search and started looking for a new SUV/MUV under 25 lakhs

Our average monthly running is close to 3000- 4000kms.
We are a family of 4 + our pet Dog.

The car will be used for both office and personal work. 60-70% running will be on Highways, rest will be in the city. Occasionally we take it on cross country road trips.

Our requirements-

- Reliable(As our running is very high we want a car that can be trusted upon)
- Fuel efficient (again very important as our running is high)
- Big boot ( Office work requires big boot space, would appreciate something bigger than Altis's 500lt boot)
- Feature rich, comfortable and safe (general to what is expected at this price point)
- Primarily we are looking for a 7 seater as with the 3rd row is down it will have a bigger boot, but can also consider a 5 seater
- Ok with both manual and automatic options

The auto enthusiast inside me craves for good handling and punchy engine but as this will be used mostly for official purposes, I can keep these wants on low priority.

Below are the some options we have checked in the past few weeks-

Innova HyCross VX(O)- Ever since my dad saw it on the road, this was his prime contender. It ticks all the boxes i.e. its reliable, very efficient, most spacious inside and seats are also very comfortable. Can't ask for anything more but there are few issues. Firstly the price- Currently VX(O) in Delhi is costing roughly 33 lakhs on road. It is considerably more expensive when compared to the other options plus the waiting period is more than 1 yr (Our Altis will retire before it gets delivered ).
What has also annoyed me is that we had visited two separate showrooms in Noida, none of them had it on display, all we could do was peep inside the cars that were there for service.

XUV 700 AX7 MT Diesel - As HyCross seems to be a bit out of reach, this is my prime contender. On road price is under 25 lakhs. It offers the best overall package and comes under our budget. Has a plethora of features and looks very imposing. Only negative is that fuel efficiency is less when compared to others on the list. Also we have doubts about the long term reliability

-Hyundai Alcazar Platinum MT Diesel- The platinum MT diesel trim costs around 23 lakhs on road Delhi. I have enquired with a few dealers if I can get a good deal on the same. There are few positives and negatives when compared to the XUV

- Kia Carens- Luxury plus imt diesel- I don't like its exterior design much, but it's the most value for money car. The on road price is under 21 lakhs. What I also like is that KIA offers the best extended warranty of 5 yrs unlimited kilometers.

Other options in consideration-
-Grand Vitara/Hyder Hybrid- Great car but the boot is too small.
-Invicto- HyCross with less warranty and waiting period.

So based on our requirements, does it actually makes sense to spend an extra of 7-8 lakhs on the HyCross? Or Can we stick to XUV 700 or any other options on the list. I am open to other suggestions also.

Please kindly share your expertise.

Any and all help on this will be much appreciated.
GH0ST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 20:41   #123
BANNED

Re: Which SUV/MUV(with big boot) to buy under 25 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST View Post
Hello BHPian's,

Background-Currently we have a 2015 Ford Ecosport titanium diesel and 2009 Corolla Altis GL petrol. Due to business related work our daily running is very high plus occasionally we go on cross country road trips. As a result our Ecosport has clocked about 260k and Altis is about to touch 200k. Both Cars have served us very well but due to the NGT ban we will have to retire them soon.

So we are looking to add another car to our garage. Originally my plan was to buy a used diesel sedan of MY 2018-20 with a budget of 10 lakhs that can be used mostly for official purposes, and then in the next couple of years add a SUV which can fulfill our travel goals. But my dad is a little skeptical about used cars and even after showing him a some good options he was not convinced.

So based on our requirements, does it actually makes sense to spend an extra of 7-8 lakhs on the HyCross? Or Can we stick to XUV 700 or any other options on the list. I am open to other suggestions also.
Any and all help on this will be much appreciated. clap:
Congratulations on your first post. You have got a good set of cars there and looking at the kilometers they clocked you put them to good use.

1. Given your usage and requirements, Hycross or Invicto can be your best bet.

2. If they are a stretch, then give XL6 and Ertiga a try.

3. If they are small for your purpose then consider XUV700.

4. If you are considering Grand Vitara, then you can give upcoming Honda Elevate a try.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2023 at 15:19. Reason: You are making very SERIOUS allegations & assumptions. Please avoid. You are trolling
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st August 2023, 09:07   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPian's,

Please kindly share your expertise.

Any and all help on this will be much appreciated.
Hello. Hope you're doing well!!
IMHO the perfect option for you is XUV700. It has incredible road presence, plethora of features and a reliable, robust safety and fun to drive engine. Diesel engines of Mahindra have been one of the most competent and fun to drive. Plus nothing can beat the fun of driving a manual gearbox and a diesel engine. There are a few niggles which you can live by and most of them are sorted. IMO you should totally go for it. My parking doesn't allow me or else I would have bought XUV700 in a flash. Sadly have to settle for a smaller car.
ssoni.1411 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 22:21   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Congratulations on your first post. You have got a good set of cars there and looking at the kilometers they clocked you put them to good use.

1. Given your usage and requirements, HyCross or Invicto can be your best bet.
Thank You for your kind suggestions. I also feel that Hycross/Invicto is the most suitable car for us. But stretching an additional 7-8 lakhs will be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
Hello. Hope you're doing well!!
IMHO the perfect option for you is XUV700. It has incredible road presence, plethora of features and a reliable, robust safety and fun to drive engine. Diesel engines of Mahindra have been one of the most competent and fun to drive. Plus nothing can beat the fun of driving a manual gearbox and a diesel engine. There are a few niggles which you can live by and most of them are sorted. IMO you should totally go for it. My parking doesn't allow me or else I would have bought XUV700 in a flash. Sadly have to settle for a smaller car.
Yes XUV700 feels to be the right option. I really like the overall package that Mahindra is offering. Only was a little confused about reliability, but thank you for your suggestions.
GH0ST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 08:56   #126
BHPian

Quote:

Yes XUV700 feels to be the right option. I really like the overall package that Mahindra is offering. Only was a little confused about reliability, but thank you for your suggestions.
Reliability is not an issue. A few niggles but all of them have been sorted by now and Mahindra has improved their ASS. Just take maximum warranty and you will be safe
ssoni.1411 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 19:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

Let my Scorpio S10 4WD MY 2015 go, Now which replacement

Hi all
I recently let my Scorpio 4WD go. I am looking for a replacement that I can really keep for 15 years.
  1. I live in Delhi, and so as you all know that means a Petrol motor.
  2. I need 4 WD Low range capability. That's as much a must for me as a Petrol motor.
  3. I also need good boot space after seating my family of four quite comfortably.
  4. And I need imposing presence on road - the scorpio's overbearing size served me so well on so many occassions that I got used to it, and miss it sorely when navigating congested streets in a puny Glanza.

I have ruled out Thar Petrol in current avatar. I could not compromise on space and comfort.

I had (as a dilution of 4WD Low range requirement) test driven the Urban Cruiser with AWD , but it just does not have an imposing enough frame.

I did not bother to test drive the Jimny, One look, and I walked away because it seemed too insubstantial, compared to my Scorpio standing next to it.

My budget can stretch to 25 lakhs. Will be grateful for suggestions from this forum.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th August 2023 at 08:13. Reason: Please do not … write with dots … like this.
Old 11th September 2023, 22:30   #128
BHPian

Need advise on car purchase

Friends,

I am officially settled in Mumbai and had been waiting for my posting for changing my car since I wanted to have BH registration. I had used following cars since I started driving
1. Maruti WagonR(VXI)- 2008 bought 2012 sold
2. Maruti Suzuki Swift(ZXI)- 2017 bought 2020 sold
3. Hyundai Creta(SX)- 2020 bought 2022 sold
4. Mahindra Thar- 2022 bought 2023 sold

Every time I followed this wonderful forum for my purchase decisions. Now after recently been admitted as a member, I got the opportunity to seek experienced members' advise.

I was just taking my decisions by heart while buying / replacing my vehicles and I never regretted it since I drove it to the max in short span of time. For example Creta I drove 142000 kms and Thar 74500 before I sold. I allways drove unplanned trips and most trips were only meant for driving pleasure.

So now coming to the point. I want to have a new vehicle preferably a 7 seater(5 seater can also be considered). I have an allocated budget of 20 lacs which can be extended a bit. I am a fan of manual transmission but would not mind an automatic this time.I would like to drive under pure comfort. We are a family of four with me, wife, daughter and son.Unlike my previous vehicles which I drove 60000 kms per year on an average, the new car to be purchased is supposed to have a bit limited usage of 30000 kms a year maximum.

I have shortlisted Hyundai Alcazar Platinum (AE), Kia Seltos HTX Petrol IVT, Honda Elevate(ZX). My preferences while shortlisting are;

1. Driving comfort
2. Should have 6 airbags
3. Hastle free service post purchase
4. A family cruiser(plans for 2 to 3 Mumbai-Kerala trips in a year)
4. Features rich
5. Immediate possession, since I can't live without car(sold my Thar a couple of days before)

I allmost finalised Hyundai Alcazar Platinum (AE) but somehow could not convince myself from rejecting other two. Need advise from fellow experienced BHPians on finalizing..
Old 17th September 2023, 12:50   #129
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

Hi friends

I have finalised Creta SX O IVT AE DT (Khaki plus black) and paid booking amount through dealership Sharayu Hyundai, Turbhe, Navi Mumbai. Found dealership service excellent, especially from Mr Swapnil who was helpful from introduction to arranging a TD in short notice. I have two queries to experienced members here;

1. I am looking for BH registration. My employer gave form 60 as per the format given in Government Gazate. But the dealership seems not comfortable with it and insist on some another format. They communicated to me that if RTO rejects, then I only have to take care of consequences. Wondering how the parties involved in the BH registration process are ignorant on forms which itself is available in public domain? Anyways I asked my delaershhip to go ahead with form which my employer provided.

2. As accessories, I opted only for underbody anti rust coating. Dealer advised me to avail floor lamination too which I am not comfortable with. I am afriad of on whether such lamination may result in bad smells going ahead inside car.

Any one having experience in above two things kindly advise
Old 18th September 2023, 01:39   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalvittaladas View Post

1. I am looking for BH registration. My employer gave form 60 as per the format given in Government Gazate. But the dealership seems not comfortable with it and insist on some another format. They communicated to me that if RTO rejects, then I only have to take care of consequences. Wondering how the parties involved in the BH registration process are ignorant on forms which itself is available in public domain? Anyways I asked my delaershhip to go ahead with form which my employer provided.

2. As accessories, I opted only for underbody anti rust coating. Dealer advised me to avail floor lamination too which I am not comfortable with. I am afriad of on whether such lamination may result in bad smells going ahead inside car.

Any one having experience in above two things kindly advise
1. There is a standard format which is uniform across all RTOs which basically needs a form 60 with your name , employee ID and your organisation's 4 addresses across 4 states with their GSTIN number I believe. It should have a stamp of your organisation on its letter head. That's what I submitted.

2. A new car doesn't really need anti rust undercoating and it's a mere gimmick by these dealers to extract money. I understand Mumbai is humid but a new car is good for an year or two before you will need anti rust coating on it. Floor lamination is upto you, i personally don't see a need for it untill and unless the car has bad NVH levels or you aren't satisfied by it. Also aftermarket solutions are better and cheaper. You can get good mats for your car and it should suffice.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 18th September 2023 at 01:40.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 23:28   #131

Confused between the Scorpio N diesel AT and the Kia Carens diesel IMT. Family of 5, so want a 6 seater with captain seats for comfort since this will be a highway car mostly.

Does anyone know if the Scorpio N is available in a 6 seater diesel automatic, but also with 4WD? And if so, any idea on the third row space vs the Carens? They look the same to me but I'm looking for advice here.
Old 2nd October 2023, 23:46   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Let my Scorpio S10 4WD MY 2015 go, Now which replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Hi all
I recently let my Scorpio 4WD go. I am looking for a replacement that I can really keep for 15 years.
  1. I live in Delhi, and so as you all know that means a Petrol motor.
  2. I need 4 WD Low range capability. That's as much a must for me as a Petrol motor.
  3. I also need good boot space after seating my family of four quite comfortably.
  4. And I need imposing presence on road - the scorpio's overbearing size served me so well on so many occassions that I got used to it, and miss it sorely when navigating congested streets in a puny Glanza.

I have ruled out Thar Petrol in current avatar. I could not compromise on space and comfort.

I had (as a dilution of 4WD Low range requirement) test driven the Urban Cruiser with AWD , but it just does not have an imposing enough frame.

I did not bother to test drive the Jimny, One look, and I walked away because it seemed too insubstantial, compared to my Scorpio standing next to it.

My budget can stretch to 25 lakhs. Will be grateful for suggestions from this forum.
That’s quite a conundrum. Sadly, there are only 2 options if you want a petrol 4WD - Thar and Jimny.

If you are ok with an AWD, you have 2 more options (or just 1 depending on how you look at it) - Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and Maruti Grand Vitara.

Don’t know if Mahindra is planning to launch a petrol 4WD with the Thar 5-door, but, might be something to keep an eye on.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 14:50   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That’s quite a conundrum. Sadly, there are only 2 options if you want a petrol 4WD - Thar and Jimny.

If you are ok with an AWD, you have 2 more options (or just 1 depending on how you look at it) - Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and Maruti Grand Vitara.

Don’t know if Mahindra is planning to launch a petrol 4WD with the Thar 5-door, but, might be something to keep an eye on.
Yes , Dry Ice
I have my sights on the Thar 5D (there's promise of a petrol version). But let's wait till March '24.
But,even if available at spec, I will probably delay acquisition for two reasons
1. Iffy Mahindra quality - and allow them a year to rule out bugs, then consider revamped model in '25
2. Wait for Jimny killer, rumours doing the rounds of a Toyota Mini Landcruiser, which may be launched globally in '25. If that is the case, I might as well wait till '26 until it percolates to India.
3. Test drove the Toyota Urban Cruiser with the AWD option. It's a great buy, but ultimately a suave gentleman's cruiser, suited booted types. Hardly the kind of vehicle that the Scorpio 4WD was, where I could chuck it on any road, or no-road, and expect it to deliver.

So , biding my time.
Old 13th October 2023, 15:33   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

The Jimny can be made into quite a substantial looking vehicle with a lift kit, meatier tyres and a bunch of tasteful mods. Of course at a substantial expense.

See this video, for instance.

Old 13th October 2023, 16:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
The Jimny can be made into quite a substantial looking vehicle with a lift kit, meatier tyres and a bunch of tasteful mods. Of course at a substantial expense.

See this video, for instance.

https://Youtu.be/gQzSM_Gs4WM
Expense is the operative word Haze
Besides that the terrible turning radius, the underpowered engine etc. seems to be too much of a compromise from the get go. So am passing it over, unless they have something that is a truly serious attempt for our country.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks