Kia Carens 9 1.39%
Toyota Innova Crysta 111 17.13%
Mahindra XUV700 253 39.04%
Others (please specify in your post) 6 0.93%
Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 18:45   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

Voted for XUV700. Second choice would have been Scorpio-N and third Tata Safari.

XUV700 appears perfect for Metro/Urban and Expressway/Highway use and for occasional soft-roading. However, I disliked the distribution of functional features among variants, they are not as progressive I was expecting.

I hate excessive electronics (resulting in niggles, errors, failures) and certain features I rarely use, to be pushed into a vehicle. XUV700 mid variants are flooded with things like subscription Navigation, AdrenoX, Alexa, sunroof, 3rd row AC, apps etc while important features e.g. cruise control, reversing assist camera, physical controls for audio, auto wipers/headlamps, auto-dimming IRVM etc I use very often are missing.

The functionality/feature distribution seem to be designed to push potential buyers to highest variants (most profitable), but not to increase addressable market size with affordability and comfort for larger target base, making customers loyal. Mahindra missed some popular functional features in mid variants which are available in some mass-market, significantly lower priced cars.

BTW, although I cancelled my booking (manual booking after repeated failures of booking at introductory prices on both days, and I was really overall, with no Mahindra dealer or workshop nearby as in the past), I still voted for XUV700. It was still a great package at introductory prices compared to it's rivals. If I have to pay these increased prices, I would prefer a niggle-free vehicle and early availability, else will prefer to keep all options open.

I noticed, Scorpio-N has slightly better distribution of features compared to XUV700, less electronics/features (so hopefully less niggles), macho feel, abuse friendly (as in semi-urban markets and interior highways), less polarizing on looks (except rear), but no ADAS even in highest variants. However I was surprised to see maintenance costs significantly higher compared to XUV700 on the www.withyouhamesha.com portal.
Old 4th August 2022, 20:32   #62
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

I would go for the Tata safari. Recently, a person I know booked the top end XUV 700. Quoted delivery time- March 2023. It's insane, if anyone wants the car now. Mahindra Scorpio N , Hyundai Alcazar, have cramped third row seats. And where I live, I don't think there is a Mg service centre within 15 km. So Mg hector is not a feasible option. And though Kia carens, has excellent safety features, with six airbags,right from the start, but it's measly ncap rating deters one from buying it. And the proven ring leader , Toyota Innova, is way too expensive.😑
Old 4th August 2022, 22:53   #63
BHPian

If one is on a tight budget, the Carens is THE best option out of all of them. It is also the cheapest in the lot, is quite feature rich and spacious enough for a family of 4 to 5 members.
Reliability wise, we all know the issues faced by the XUV and the Safari. I feel the voting is happening more on emotions rather than on people actually putting their money where their vote is.
If I had 25L budget then the consumer is spoilt for choice but if the budget is about 15L, then honestly there is absolutely nothing but the Carens.
Old 4th August 2022, 23:41   #64
BHPian

In the current market scenario XUV7OO looks like the most VFM package.

1. Safari is loved by all but bought by selected few. Safari seemed dated at launch. TATA could have used this opportunity to upgrade Harrier & Safari with following must haves:
a. LED headlamps.
b. 360 camera.
c. Ventilated seats.
d. Slicker Infotainment system.
e. A more responsive steering (read lighter at low speeds). I believe the current setup is Hydraulic?

2. Alcazar / Carens - more of MPVs & less of SUVs.

3. Hector -

4. ScorpioN - Drove the petrol auto & it blew me away. Smoot power delivery & composed ride on Highway are the highlights. I think it will appeal to a different set of buyers. ScorpioN is actually a utility vehicle built to last.

5. Innova Crsyta - overpriced. Outdated.

My vote is for ScorpioN.
Old 4th August 2022, 23:50   #65
BHPian

I've voted for the XUV7OO. It's an extraordinary vehicle with an awesome ride & handling balance, optional AWD and loaded with useful tech that's unheard of even in segments couple above it.

The 7OO is a "complete package" for someone who's looking for an all-rounder - as useful for daily commutes as it is for l-o-n-g highway drives. It's suspension is very very well tuned (Thanks Skoda, Ahem! Kodiaq!!) for our road conditions and glides over most imperfections while maintaining it's composure cornering at triple digit speeds. The AWD, if opted, only makes the package that much more enticing. It'll help you dart out of a corner and also take you further into the wilderness than anything else in the price bracket while seating 7 - all of whom will enjoy the view out of the massive panoramic sunroof on an overcast or rainy day. Providing segment-first tech like ADAS is compelling other manufacturers to follow suit (new Tuscon launched with Level-2 ADAS). Honestly, I assumed that the ADAS will not work flawlessly for our roads, but I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. It was able to follow a path even when the lane markings were faint, almost non-existent. Braking is extremely well calibrated and is reassuring, especially thanks to the brake pre-fill mechanism. I can go on singing praises about a Mahindra (which I never expected I would) but you get the gist.

Everything else in this comparo is either 2WD (mostly front) with a non-independent rear suspension, has less power and/or doesn't have AWD. Some even make do with drums at the rear.

No wonder it was the Team-BHP COTY of 2021 - making history by beating it's next rival by a thousand votes.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 4th August 2022 at 23:56.
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
. However I was surprised to see maintenance costs significantly higher compared to XUV700 on the www.withyouhamesha.com portal.
So the Scorpio has multiple differentials and I bet a transfer case that needs oil changes as well. It's also a segment above the Thar so the pricing on the service side will reflect it. The ex showroom for a Z4 4x4 D may be close to that of a thar HT AT D, but regardless, this is the way it is, everywhere. Segmentation is key.
Old 5th August 2022, 18:34   #67

Hello Everyone.
Interesting poll in which I wanted to participate.
Wanted to vote for XUV700 but could not since the feature to vote is not enabled.
Or maybe I've yet to figure out how to cast a vote.
Got home the "Knight" on 22nd July. So far so good.
Shall share the initial impressions in coming days.
Happy motoring till then.
Shitij Pasricha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 23:27   #68
BHPian

Posting a pic with Safari and XUV700 next to each other in a side view, if it helps for anyone in comparison

Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others-safarivsxuv700sideview.jpg
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:20   #69
BHPian

It's an easy choice for me out of the ones you specified - Toyota Innova. Others are Indian and Korean rip offs and just don't offer the quality or the fit and finish that I'm looking for in my vehicles. Poor workmanship, poor performance, poorly setup suspension and lack of R&D is what makes Indian Brands the worst on the market. Korean brands are better than Indian brands but still nowhere close to the Japanese or German for that matter.

Always remember:

Japan - Reliability.
Germany - Quality/Over Engineered Vehicles.
UK - Somewhat close in terms of Quality and overall reliability as Germans.
USA - Still behind brands from the countries above. Ford came close but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Korea/China - They only COPY cars from their Japanese counterparts. Lack of 'Actual' Innovation, just playing by offering cheap fancy features that makes customers happy.

India - Sadly at the bottom of the pyramid, can't even copy properly. Even worse than Korean/Chinese brands. Only selling due to their strong marketing (They choose to spend money on marketing than actual R&D, lol) and huge population base. Since cutting corners is their bread and butter they can offer cars at cheaper rates as well!
Old 7th August 2022, 11:46   #70

Will go with Scorpio-N, it does what it is supposed to better than any other
When it comes to justifying your SUV badge, Scorpio does it better than any other on the list.
Innova comes second and XUV comes close third for me.
Safari has a very good underpinnings but misses that last 10-15% finesse.
Alcazar is a good luxury MUV (not SUV).
Old 12th August 2022, 13:46   #71
BHPian

I am in the market for a new car and all the ones in this Poll, I am evaluating currently. Here are my observations:

1. ScorpioN - good package. Robust build and has all the markings of a good car. Having been a classic Scorpio customer for the past 13 years, am thinking if I should continue my association with Scorpio or look for options elsewhere. Also their AT pricing turned out to be on the higher end, probably on the realization that they are getting more AT orders.

2. XUV700 - Optimum package for majority urban usage. I like the build, safety kit and all. I am still not convinced with ADAS from any of the manufacturers and MandM has reserved all the features for the AX7L variant thus robbing of potential customers for their AX7 variant without the ADAS package.

3. Tata Safari - The design looks good and the DARK editions are absolutely wow. I would like to listen to safari customers about the reliability aspect. Also it is more than 24 months since the launch of the Safari and it is due for some sprucing up. If I can get over the reliability worries then this could be one of the options I could go. Also I don't have to wait for 2 years to get my new car

4. Innova Crysta - ZX AT is going way over INR 30L while the GX AT is touching nearly 27L in Bengaluru. For the feature options it provides, I don't see any value with that pricing. As much as I like to consider seriously, the old design factor and price makes me think

5. Others - MG I don't consider it a British brand, it is essentially a Chinese car and Hectorplus doesn't even get AT for the diesel. The Hyundai family of Alcazar and Carens just doesn't tickle me to even look for a test drive.

My options are getting narrower and narrower now. I am hoping something interesting or new will come up in this segment
Old 13th August 2022, 21:26   #72
BHPian

Test drive scorpio n and your perception of Indian manufacturer will be history
Old 14th August 2022, 02:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
Test drive scorpio n and your perception of Indian manufacturer will be history
Did that already, but sadly it's the same story with these Indian manufacturers. They keep cutting corners as usual. Missing zinc coating on the underside, exposed undercarriage metal in some places, same use of vintage bolts, poorly finished interiors, cheap plastics, panels gaps still uneven, bad paint quality, ergonomics still screwed up, aerodynamics still pathetic, ride and handling still not up to the mark (and it's 2022), steering feedback still vague and useless, engine still unrefined.... And the list goes on.

Once you get a taste for the good German and Japanese stuff, it's impossible to 'Settle' for cheaper rip offs. And if you're a quality analyst and Enthusiast like me, well it's impossible to overlook quality control issues in something you plan to drive everyday
The Rainmaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 03:48   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Did that already, but sadly it's the same story with these Indian manufacturers. They keep cutting corners as usual. Missing zinc coating on the underside, exposed undercarriage metal in some places, same use of vintage bolts, poorly finished interiors, cheap plastics, panels gaps still uneven, bad paint quality, ergonomics still screwed up, aerodynamics still pathetic, ride and handling still not up to the mark (and it's 2022), steering feedback still vague and useless, engine still unrefined.... And the list goes on.

Once you get a taste for the good German and Japanese stuff, it's impossible to 'Settle' for cheaper rip offs. And if you're a quality analyst and Enthusiast like me, well it's impossible to overlook quality control issues in something you plan to drive everyday
That's a huge list and it is interesting to see that people are ready to spend almost 2 million on a Tata or Mahindra SUV where quality and service seems to be a hit or miss rather than a standard. I think it comes down to the lack of enough competition. I work in quality too and the way people closed their eyes for quality issues in the Thar is fit to be taught in business schools. Sadly when there's no competition then a unique product can get away with it. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post

Always remember:

Japan - Reliability.
Germany - Quality/Over Engineered Vehicles.
UK - Somewhat close in terms of Quality and overall reliability as Germans.
USA - Still behind brands from the countries above. Ford came close but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Korea/China - They only COPY cars from their Japanese counterparts. Lack of 'Actual' Innovation, just playing by offering cheap fancy features that makes customers happy.

India - Sadly at the bottom of the pyramid, can't even copy properly. Even worse than Korean/Chinese brands. Only selling due to their strong marketing (They choose to spend money on marketing than actual R&D, lol) and huge population base. Since cutting corners is their bread and butter they can offer cars at cheaper rates as well!
I would humbly disagree with this. Especially in the context of this thread.

Japan:
  • Japanese cars are reliable. Sure but let's not paint a picture that every carmaker and automobile that comes out of Japan is the pinnacle of reliability at all times. They have issues too.
  • The Innova Crysta has its own "Niggles and issues" (Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta) thread.
  • Do search for Toyota/Subaru's engine issues with the new GR86/BRZ or the wheels coming off the Subaru Solterra or the DPF issues.
Germany:
  • What part of the DIESEL-GATE would relate to over-engineering and quality? If anything it was the opposite of that. They couldn't engineer a diesel car to handle the emission norms and wrote software to cheat the test equipment.
  • The Golf MK8's infotainment system would enter the automotive museum under the section for worst designed and implemented UI. User-experience is a key pillar of success for infotainment systems.
  • I won't disagree that a BMW, Porsche are brilliantly engineered vehicles but I would not say the same about everything that comes out of the VW-Skoda India.
UK:
  • I'm not sure which company we are talking about here. Lotus or McLaren?
  • What's the point of this comparison?
Korea:
  • I think the Hyundai-KIA group don't benchmark (copy in your words) them against just the Japanese.
  • They are so bullish that they pretty much benchmark the best in every segment and go about building their cars to match the best. Examples: Their N range, IONIQ EV range and the Pallisade SUV.
  • However, Hyundai-KIA India seems to be like a different budget/sub-brand of the global one. It is not the same.
USA:
  • The Ford Endy was a good SUV and I don't recall any major/on-going quality or reliability issues with it. Sadly that option isn't available in India anymore.
Coming to this specific thread, I think people can only pick from the available options and it will be useful if we stick to listing out the pros and cons of the vehicles in question rather than use blanket statements at a country level.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 09:54   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
That's a huge list and it is interesting to see that people are ready to spend almost 2 million on a Tata or Mahindra SUV where quality and service seems to be a hit or miss rather than a standard. I think it comes down to the lack of enough competition. I work in quality too and the way people closed their eyes for quality issues in the Thar is fit to be taught in business schools. Sadly when there's no competition then a unique product can get away with it. It is what it is.
Very True!

Quote:

Japan:
  • Japanese cars are reliable. Sure but let's not paint a picture that every carmaker and automobile that comes out of Japan is the pinnacle of reliability at all times. They have issues too.
  • The Innova Crysta has its own "Niggles and issues" (Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta) thread.
  • Do search for Toyota/Subaru's engine issues with the new GR86/BRZ or the wheels coming off the Subaru Solterra or the DPF issues.
I'm sure they do have issues. But then it's not a given everytime like Indian companies. Those I would call exceptions, specific to certain models or sometimes areas, not across the range. Whenever a new vehicle is launched I happen to go and test drive it. And I always go as a clean slate without any preconceived notions. But Everytime I go and TD any vehicle by an Indian Manufacturer, I'm utterly disappointed. I don't understand how can someone pay such prices for these vehicles. Even if they're cheaper than competition, they're still not worth somebody's hard earned money IMHO

Quote:
Germany:
  • What part of the DIESEL-GATE would relate to over-engineering and quality? If anything it was the opposite of that. They couldn't engineer a diesel car to handle the emission norms and wrote software to cheat the test equipment.
  • The Golf MK8's infotainment system would enter the automotive museum under the section for worst designed and implemented UI. User-experience is a key pillar of success for infotainment systems.
  • I won't disagree that a BMW, Porsche are brilliantly engineered vehicles but I would not say the same about everything that comes out of the VW-Skoda India.
Diesel-gate was an overambitious attempt by their Ex CEO to continue to reap the benefits of an existing tech without spending huge money on a new tech, not that they can't. They did after that and still have that. That's on them, yet it doesn't affect the consumer in any way other than the fact that your vehicle may not meet the emission norms. That's a legal flaw, not a technical/mechanical flaw with the vehicle per se. I won't go to the infotainment systems because VW is not the only one guilty of that. In fact, a lot of other brands have been bashed for that as well and trust me Indian and Korean manufacturers are no pioneers either. So, that will keep varying from model to model and gen to gen. I mean the brands want to show that they've implemented a digital display and MID, but to be honest, I don't like it from any brand. Some may think they have improved over time, but I still find all of them laggy. In fact now even the buttons are gone, so that's the final nail in the coffin for safe driving.

Quote:
UK:
I'm not sure which company we are talking about here. Lotus or McLaren?
No. I was referring to Jaguar and Land Rover mate. Lotus and McLaren are in a different league. I won't be comparing sports/super cars to sedans and SUVs.

Quote:
Korea:
  • I think the Hyundai-KIA group don't benchmark (copy in your words) them against just the Japanese.
  • They are so bullish that they pretty much benchmark the best in every segment and go about building their cars to match the best. Examples: Their N range, IONIQ EV range and the Pallisade SUV.
  • However, Hyundai-KIA India seems to be like a different budget/sub-brand of the global one. It is not the same.

Yes that's true. If you have a strong marketing, you can sell almost anything. Hyundai Verna and Creta are prime examples of that in India. We all know how poorly Verna handles, the suspension setup is very sloppy and the body roll is so evident that even a kid can tell something's wrong. Still people bought it after taking a test drive and are still happy because many of them don't even know the whole purpose of a TD. For most, it's all about just those cheap fancy features that don't cost a thing to the manufacturer but help to sell these vehicles. I'm not into fancy features at all. I like my cars analog, with tactile feedback and communicative chassis. Handling will always take precedence over sheer power. I think our market will take time to mature to understand these concepts. Right now, they're more interested in sunroofs, 'n' number of extra speakers, apple car play, led lights etc.

As for being the benchmark, let me assure you they're NOT. That's what the websites/YouTube makes you believe. I've worked on a lot of Hyundai vehicles over the years and the quality of their filters, components, hoses, etc. are not even close to their Japanese counterparts that they copy. The designs are uncannily similar but still they leave a lot to be desired.

Just like Intel, Hyundai has kept a budget aside. A guy leading their marketing team (a close friend) once told me they have "x" billion dollars kept aside just to ensure that all magazines, YouTube vloggers, and websites write glorious reviews for them. Intel does the same with computer manufacturers - Intel used to pay 2 billion dollars every years to the computer brands just to use their processors (This is a figure from 2016, now it may be even more). This is way bigger than us. That's why I would never trust the internet but get my hands dirty (Pun intended ) if I want to know the complete truth.

Quote:
USA:
  • The Ford Endy was a good SUV and I don't recall any major/on-going quality or reliability issues with it. Sadly that option isn't available in India anymore.
  • Coming to this specific thread, I think people can only pick from the available options and it will be useful if we stick to listing out the pros and cons of the vehicles in question rather than use blanket statements at a country level.
Sure I do respect your opinion, but a little extra info doesn't hurt. Especially given that this same thread may be read by a lot of visitors as well. A bird's eye view on various brands makes people aware and they can make an informed decision irrespective of the models they're looking at. And yes, I had to mention all that in order to give the OP a rough idea on what to expect based on the country of origin. After all, were all here to help each other out

Last edited by The Rainmaker : 14th August 2022 at 09:59. Reason: Fixed Formatting Errors
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks