Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 16:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Got loads of money and want a snob value go in for the Pajero.

Both are great suv's man, enjoy whichever you can buy.

With loads of money also, a new Safari 2.2 is better snob value than a used Pajero
Old 24th March 2008, 17:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_low_flyer View Post
I test drove the 2.2 4x2 Safari the other day. Since I already own an older Safari, the pulling power of the 2.2 really stumped me.

A 2.2 VX 4x4 with slightly wider rubber and an aggressive bullbar with 2 huge fog-lights. How does it sound? Sounds good to me!
people always relate the safari to the older TCIC....the safari has grown up from a sluggish , underpowered slumbering giant to an agile, capable softroader with the 3.0 and 2.2.
Old 24th March 2008, 17:22   #18
BHPian

Wrong question in an wrong forum - Every1 is biased here

Many of us have Safari running in our blood. It is indeed a powerfull beast.

As people quoted earlier, the interiors are "not all that great" in the pajero. Quite pricey I would say. Montero is much better, expensive again.

VFM - Safari all the way!!
Old 24th March 2008, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
people always relate the safari to the older TCIC....the safari has grown up from a sluggish , underpowered slumbering giant to an agile, capable softroader with the 3.0 and 2.2.
Errr, softroader?
Old 24th March 2008, 17:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Errr, softroader?
hmm obviously suman has a different opinion..well maybe i was wrong..havent really heard much about the off-roading capablities hence my opinion..would love to hear about your take on this..
Old 24th March 2008, 17:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
would love to hear about your take on this..
Well, my take on which would constitute "softroaders" - CRV, Captiva, Outlander, Forester, Tucson

And "off-roaders" with 4L option - X trail, Montero, Pajero, Gypsy, Endeavour, Safari (4x4) & Grand Vitara to name a few.

Now, if you are asking for my take on the Safari's off-roading prowess, well, have limited first hand experience but haven't been disappointed so far. Its not what you would call a "soft roader" by any stretch of the imagination
Old 24th March 2008, 17:52   #22
BHPian

An OLD Pajero or the new 2.2?? Where is the question? I dont see any.
That looks like NO NEW CAR or THE NEW CAR!

Go drive the 2.2 buddy, you will never want to return to an old Pajero's lap
Old 24th March 2008, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Well, my take on which would constitute "softroaders" - CRV, Captiva, Outlander, Forester, Tucson

And "off-roaders" with 4L option - X trail, Montero, Pajero, Gypsy, Endeavour, Safari (4x4) & Grand Vitara to name a few.

Now, if you are asking for my take on the Safari's off-roading prowess, well, have limited first hand experience but haven't been disappointed so far. Its not what you would call a "soft roader" by any stretch of the imagination
Have seen the likes of x trail, pajero, gypsy, MM540's take on terrains such as the ones in jeep thrills sections. To me these are real off-roaders, but yet to see a safari take on such a terrain..and if you have had such experiences and say that it is capable then i will take your word for this...BTW are u aware of any other threads discussing on this?..
Old 24th March 2008, 18:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW are u aware of any other threads discussing on this?..
Well, some of our Italian brethren have been doing some extreme off-roading with the Safari, its there on Youtube (the link is somewhere on the forum).

By the way, I haven't had any "Jeep thrills" kinda experiences with my beast so far. But you could PM Doctorkats cos he's done some real rough territory......or maybe Trancenut & Extreme_Torque, I know they've done a bit as well.
Old 24th March 2008, 18:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the sheer price diff , IMO the safari 2.2 is good VFM. Dont go by the older TCIC , the new dicor is really worth the money that u shell out. Also the Pajero is a much dated model than the safari. But if you are someone who likes snob value and have lot of money to shell out, just go ahead and try the pajero...but then it has nothing great to offer. For a little more than the pajero u could try the nissan, or the CRV.
Might be an old design but it still does not look as dated as the Safari design. A well looked after Pajero will last a long time.

The engine in the Pajero is also proven. If you have the money go for the Pajero. If you want a budget SUV then go for the Safari.

Last edited by bigman : 24th March 2008 at 19:02.
Old 24th March 2008, 19:22   #26
BHPian

Me getting a pajero and safari 2.2 weekend for testing. Pajero is an used one but well kept and 2.2 from the showroom. Will keep posted on the drive feel and final decision. Hopefully i will be able to get my new room mate soon. Decided to sell off my existing 1.9TD who provided good service for sometime though the side effect was the rattling
Old 24th March 2008, 20:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Me getting a pajero and safari 2.2 weekend for testing. Pajero is an used one but well kept and 2.2 from the showroom. Will keep posted on the drive feel and final decision. Hopefully i will be able to get my new room mate soon. Decided to sell off my existing 1.9TD who provided good service for sometime though the side effect was the rattling
I guess you will have to compare the used pajero to your 1.9TD and see how well the Pajero has fared compared to your 1.9TD. It will tell you which has the better build quality.

I doubt Tata have ironed out the rattles and squeeks in the 2.2. The new 2.2 will not have been broken in yet so the rattles and squeeks may not have developed yet.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:33   #28
BANNED

Sumit i am not agains Safari,

Pls visit my garage you'll find one there which i own.

for me anyday its the Safari 3L Dicor.

I am not against the Pajero as well.

VFM-Safari Rules
Old 24th March 2008, 21:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I love the Pajero blindly but then i need to ensure i look at more practical options considering i travel a lot. Plus I don't want my car to be another white elephant.
Go for it. Blindly.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:53   #30
rippergeo

Quote:

suman- this post gives me flashbacks and post traumatic stress disorder.

depends on what you are looking for
the pajero is a better off roader anytime. the safari felt more comfortable. and the 2.2 dicor has some scary straight line acceleration for the bulk it has. the pajero will find it difficult to match that.

the safari felt better on the highway. overtaking wise.
body roll was present in the safari, slightly worse than the pajero.

VFM- safari! easily!!!!!

Last edited by rippergeo : 24th March 2008 at 21:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks