Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:17   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
A lot has changed on this thread from its original days. Sumo Grande though looks good and is comfortable, may I take this opportunity to confuse you more by suggesting the Xylo. It is nice, well packaged, comfortable and certainly a winner.
I do agree a lot has changed, but I test drove Scorpio, xylo and Grande in a span of 20 hours and for some reason, I am not pulled towards xylo.

Scorpio comes across as the sturdiest of all. Feels solid to drive, gears slot fine, suspension seems good, it seems to have the better dash among the three and the steering response and roadgrip is also better

Grande feels huge. But for that huge body, it moves quite well and gears also slot fine. In my experience, better than xylo. The seats are comfortable too with lots of space. I felt that the suspension could have been a little stiff. If only they improved the steering response and roadgrip, it would have been a solid choice inspite of the fit,finish and interiors.

Overall, if I buy Grande it would be for economical reasons (only if the dealer gives a good discount). Otherwise it is going to be scorpio SLE.
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Overall, if I buy Grande it would be for economical reasons (only if the dealer gives a good discount). Otherwise it is going to be scorpio SLE.
Don't forget to click some pics of the Grande if you are again going to the showroom. For me! I just love the Grande.
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Gshanky,

1) A word of advice from a banker. In the current scenario, its always better to go for a loan against FD. All banks are wary of unsecured lending, and hence will push for secured loans. You'll pay much lower interest rates, and the sanction will be easy to come by. Bargain hard!

2) All dealers should be offering discounts on the Sumo Grande. Dont think there will be any on the Scorpio. However, to concur with what others have said earlier on this thread, Scorpio will be a much better choice on all parameters - if you have the cash.

3) You should always try for insurance from external sources. Its much cheaper than dealer insurance, and comes with no hidden costs. Road tax however is better done through the dealer. Registering the car involves too much running around, which the dealer is in a better position to do thanks to his network and rapport with MV department. Dont think of handling registration on your own unless you have contacts in the MV department and plenty of time!
Thanks for the advice! I am pushing my relationship manager to give me a personal loan off of my deposit.

My brother knows an insurance agent and I'll talk with him to find out how much he can reduce from the dealer quoted insurance.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:13   #49
BHPian

The buying experience is more involving than I thought.

I was able to secure the funds through HSBC smart money - overdraft on my FD at 2% more. But then it so happens that the MD at the Mahindra dealer seems to be an old acquaintance of my dad. My dad is scheduled to meet with him today and I am waiting to see if this translates to any discount.

Let me see how this goes.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:38   #50
BHPian

Booked a Scorpio SLE today.

I was looking for some booking guidelines but got the pre-delivery checklist. When can I get the Engine no. and Chassis no. from the dealer?

Any information regarding that would be helpful.

@Mods
Could you change the title to "Safari or Sumo Grande orrr... what?? Finally it is a Scorpio"

Thanks
Old 15th April 2009, 18:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was looking for some booking guidelines but got the pre-delivery checklist. When can I get the Engine no. and Chassis no. from the dealer?

@Mods
Could you change the title to "Safari or Sumo Grande orrr... what?? Finally it is a Scorpio"

Thanks

congrats buddy. good choice.
instead of requesting the MODS through posts, click on the 'report post' tag below your display pic.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

@gshanky : Congrats on your selection. Im sure you ll never regret it.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:19   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Roughly 2-3 days prior to actual delivery. They will get wind of this when M&M puts them on the truck to your dealer. Get that and get your insurance sorted out, without which you cannot pull your vehicle out of the dealership.

However, if you're a rich kid, then doing it all with the dealer will entail a couple 10's of thousands more but you can laze around in your very own jacuzzi.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Roughly 2-3 days prior to actual delivery. They will get wind of this when M&M puts them on the truck to your dealer. Get that and get your insurance sorted out, without which you cannot pull your vehicle out of the dealership.

However, if you're a rich kid, then doing it all with the dealer will entail a couple 10's of thousands more but you can laze around in your very own jacuzzi.
Yes, I am planning doing the insurance separately with an agent. The Scorpio is for my brother and parents who are in bangalore. My brother currently owns an omni and he is selling it and transferring/upgrading the insurance to scorpio. I am not sure if that would save me couple 10's of thousands. But if you could suggest something, please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
@gshanky : Congrats on your selection. Im sure you ll never regret it.
Heh, thanks. If it were me, I would have gone for more challenging options and enjoyed regretting , but since the car is primarily for my parents, I don't want them to regret. Scorpio seems a safer choice with indian reliability (whatever that means??) and indian price without the Japanese premium.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th April 2009 at 20:49. Reason: Posts merged (20 minute rule).
Old 15th April 2009, 23:26   #55
BHPian

Insurance amount is - Rs.32748
Road Tax - Rs.116071

Not sure if this is the best I can get. Any suggestions?
Old 16th April 2009, 10:15   #56
BHPian

@gshanky

friend the insurance quote that u have is from dealership itself its the same here in gurgaon and delhi the company is royal sundaram.
u can get insurance from reliance and another company for 20000 but i would suggest u to get it from National Insurance for 24000 its much better.

regarding road tax and RC i dont know why is that price so exorbidant here in delhi its 34000 in Gurgaon its 15000 only may be its something to do with state govt laws.

also remember to tell your dealer to get the scorpio with bridgestone and not jk tyres.

all this info is authentic coz even i am planning for a suv/uv for me gurgaon registered scorpio sle on road is for 8,50,000 on road including discounts (corporate)
Old 16th April 2009, 10:20   #57
BHPian

Hi buddy,
It doesnt matter which insurance you get but make sure anyone you get has a cashless facilty and is accepted at the nearest workshop.
I can tell because i have been through the insurance people and believe me its not easy to get the money from their pocket.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:25   #58
BHPian

i knew the issue hence i have got it confirmed that National Insurance has cashless facility at all Mahindra ***
Old 16th April 2009, 10:37   #59
BHPian

So is it decided that it would be national insurance..?
Old 16th April 2009, 10:49   #60
BHPian

@garry.brant

yaar i have literaly had a hassle free insurance experience with national i have recently claimed complete set of front and rear bumpers along with left and right fenders all together in the same claim without any Q asked for my Esteem VXi 07 model

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks