Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 09:49   #46
BHPian

Captiva, C-RV, Outlander, Endeavour or Soon to be launched Toyota Fortuner

Hi Bhpians,
I was collecting money from a long time to buy a car of my dreams: an SUV, but when I started to research the market there are too many bloody options available, and at has become very confusing to decide on one.

I am confused between the Captiva, C-RV, Outlander, Endeavour or Soon to be launched Toyota Fortuner

All look good, have good features and at this point they cost the same to me.

I liked Captiva's diesel edge over others, Outlander's good looks and killer sound system, Endeavour's imposing size, and C-RV's fun to drive nature and refined engine, and somehow it seems that the soon to be launched Fortuner will be able to slay them all, just like what innova did to its segment!
Help Required
Thanks in advance
Old 5th December 2008, 12:04   #47
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

If you are looking for a diesel then definetely Fortuner will be the best choice.But no idea when it is going to be launched,might be by Jun 2009.If you want to buy immediately then go for Endeavour thunder plus.Eventhough it lacks features and ride quality compared to the others but you will get a SUV feel and great road presence in Endeavour when compared to CRV,Captiva and Outlander.

You can also consider Pajero.Eventhough it is outdated it is a true SUV.IMO wait till Fortuner arrives.It will be a great vehicle with good road presence and will be the best in the segment.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:55   #48
BANNED

Though Fortuner would be the best when it comes next year, but don't bank on just one product as one never knows what Toyota really does then, it could price it stratospherically or may even delay it further.
Taking cues from your Avatar, I guess Endeavour would appeal most to you! Try out the Thunder variant & create lightening on Lawrence road!
Captiva/CRV/Outlander are all softroaders, you would miss the ulttra macho/SUV appeal in them.
In case you get carried away by on paper specs,etc., then focus on Outlander out of the rest.
There are fair amount of Pajero's in Amritsar already, charm of uniqueness will be lost!
Old 5th December 2008, 15:01   #49
BHPian

You could probably wait for the Captiva Diesel Auto, which will be launched with a 4WD option by next year. The economy of a diesel and ease of an auto..
Old 5th December 2008, 15:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on what you need. If you are planning 4 X 4, then among what you have mentioned, Endy is the best option ( Fortuner is not considered right now ).

If 4X4 is something you can do without, then leave Endy and from the rest, you decide if you want diesel or not.

If 4X4 and diesel : Endy as of now. Fortuner will join in.

If diesel irrespective of 4X4 : Captiva, Forutner, Endy.

If 4X2 and diesel : Captiva, Fortuner.

If 4X4 and petrol : Outlander. It does almost everything as good as CR-V and at many places it is better than CR-V. Other option is CR-V.

If petrol irrespective of 4X4 : Well, again its Outlander. Other option is CR-V.

From all of the above, try getting some information from Toyota dealer about Fortuner. If I were in your place, I would rather wait for Fortuner. Endy also seems to be in good. Remember GM is nearing bankruptcy, and Ford is in te best condition out of the big three in US.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:15   #51

Hello my dear expert friends.... I also harbour a desire to buy a "SUV like" vehicle that I can eaily drive on Delhi - Gurgaon roads. I normally travel about 80-90 kms every day between Delhi & Gurgaon. I currently have a Honda Civic, but my biggest problem with CiVic is the height of the Car. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall and do not really enjoy my ride in Civic.
Given my budget ~ Rs 14 - 15 lakhs, and a need for a small but tall SUV, I am thinking of Grand Vitara. My family is very small so I do not need a lot of seats in the Car. I have never sat in a Vitara and surprisingly did not find it at 2 of the Big Suzuki showrooms that I visted. Can you guys please advise me if Vitara is worth buying? Any expereinces would be very useful. Thank you Guys
Old 10th December 2008, 19:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Welcome to the tribe of all those who are waiting for Fortuner. If autocar is to be believed, Toyota is planning to launch it in June 2009. Fortuner will fulfill all your requirements.
Called my old contact to inquire about safari GX. Well, he is now working for Toyota. He mentioned that Toyota fortuner is coming in June next year.
I am waiting.
Old 10th December 2008, 20:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Consider the VW Tiguan as an option, IF the third row of seats is not a pressing priority or compulsion.

Considering rural Punjab, my list would read as follows :
# Toyota Fortuner
# VW Tiguan
# Toyota Innova
# Chevy Captiva

You would need to take a call on service centers of the respective brands in your area.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Old 11th December 2008, 18:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hai PPL,

I drove a fortuner back in 2007, Indonesia, have posted the pictures here on this thread, post No.5.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...singapore.html

The pictures are here:

Picasa Web Albums - ramky - KL,Singapore#

The one I drove was 2.7L D. Lots of room; but I was expecting the kick in lines with a Scorpio (I am not comparing anything else, only the engine response) was disappointed. It's a great cruiser and swallows, holes, bumps and off roads like velvet. I had to go of narrow roads to give way; Fortuner did that with a shrug. A truck that size could do with 1000 CC more to make it sprint instead of a lumbering giant.

Don't know what variant will hit India eventually.

--Ramky
=======
Old 11th December 2008, 21:26   #55
BHPian

The Fortuner,Captiva,CRv,Endy,Outlander,X-trail,GV all might come and but the Pajero soldiers on.This is a vehicle built for a liftime.You cant go wrong with it.
Old 11th December 2008, 22:51   #56
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai PPL,

I drove a fortuner back in 2007, Indonesia, have posted the pictures here on this thread, post No.5.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...singapore.html

The pictures are here:

Picasa Web Albums - ramky - KL,Singapore#

The one I drove was 2.7L D. Lots of room; but I was expecting the kick in lines with a Scorpio (I am not comparing anything else, only the engine response) was disappointed. It's a great cruiser and swallows, holes, bumps and off roads like velvet. I had to go of narrow roads to give way; Fortuner did that with a shrug. A truck that size could do with 1000 CC more to make it sprint instead of a lumbering giant.

Don't know what variant will hit India eventually.

--Ramky
=======
That was disheartening to read. Maybe I should keep my hopes pinned on the Endy 3 litre when it comes out in the used car market 2-3 yrs down the line.

I reaaally like the Endy's directional stability and ease with which it can be chucked around corners, and the 2.5 litre TDCi is my favourite engine so far.
The 3 liter endy engine is said to be even more peppy and refined and supposedly gives better mileage too.

The front seats are comfortable and the car is really "built like a tank"
Every time I drive it, I want one for myself. If my bro's endy wasnt a 2WD, I would've bought it off him, I'm the one driving it around anyway

Old 12th December 2008, 15:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Rippergeo,

With competition heating up, if they have to make a mark in the Indian market, they'd have to inroduce a 3L engine. The 2.7 would, IMO, be a mistake, if they want people to buy it, the price point has to be very attractive.

Posting some pictures which I took, I was too excited when the driver allowed me to drive it (tipped him plenty) to take pictures of the interiors, did'nt know the pictures would come in handy.

Endeavor 3.0 vs CR-V AWD vs Outlander vs Captiva vs Pajero-dsc06683.jpg

Endeavor 3.0 vs CR-V AWD vs Outlander vs Captiva vs Pajero-dsc06686.jpg
Old 12th December 2008, 15:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

We have a Fortuner in our Bangladesh Office & my first impressions were quite good. Was driven around in it for a couple of days when I was there last time around & I must say the middle row comfort was better than an Endeavour's & overall ride comfort was pretty good. You do unconsciously try to compare the interiors etc with the Innova but that's more of nitpicking than anything else
Old 14th December 2008, 09:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal M View Post
Hello my dear expert friends.... I also harbour a desire to buy a "SUV like" vehicle that I can eaily drive on Delhi - Gurgaon roads. I normally travel about 80-90 kms every day between Delhi & Gurgaon. I currently have a Honda Civic, but my biggest problem with CiVic is the height of the Car. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall and do not really enjoy my ride in Civic.
Given my budget ~ Rs 14 - 15 lakhs, and a need for a small but tall SUV, I am thinking of Grand Vitara. My family is very small so I do not need a lot of seats in the Car. I have never sat in a Vitara and surprisingly did not find it at 2 of the Big Suzuki showrooms that I visted. Can you guys please advise me if Vitara is worth buying? Any expereinces would be very useful. Thank you Guys
Here are the two threads about Grand Vitara long term ownership.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...70-000kms.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html

Fortuner as others have mentioned, can be expected in 2009. For your options, if you are not keen on petrol, also consider Endy and Safari,Scorpio.
Old 14th December 2008, 11:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

Posting some pictures which I took, I was too excited when the driver allowed me to drive it (tipped him plenty) to take pictures of the interiors, did'nt know the pictures would come in handy.
Fortuner has undergone a facelift and these pictures belong to the previous look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks