Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 05:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

It seems well specced. But the reports here did not inspire confidence in its reliability. Throwing in all the 4x4 hardware does not necessarily make a good and reliable 4x4. I am open to changing my mind if I find any satisfied users though.
Old 25th July 2009, 06:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Niggles yes, but probably not more than a Safari. Barebones..yes, but thats a part of the charm.

Rhandle's ownership review should give you a good idea to stay ahead of the minor issues.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-done-2.html

...but for off road ability its right up there with the top dogs like Gypsy and M&M SWB jeeps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-road-too.html
Old 25th July 2009, 08:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Fascinating threads, thanks. I am not sure I want to spend time hunting down nuts and bolts though, I do want a reliable car in the smaller respects as well.
And I think the last post by rhandle has him hitting his head against the brick wall!

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th July 2009 at 08:12.
Old 26th July 2009, 01:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Fascinating threads, thanks. I am not sure I want to spend time hunting down nuts and bolts though, I do want a reliable car in the smaller respects as well.
And I think the last post by rhandle has him hitting his head against the brick wall!
its called Gypsy, MG413 W MPFI!
Old 26th July 2009, 06:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

I hear you, loud and clear!! No better alternative has come forth yet here.
Old 26th July 2009, 09:24   #36
BHPian

Hi Sawyer,

Just saw your post.

Having had two Gypsy's in the past, I thought I could enlighten you on a couple of things.

First of all - Gypsy's leak. Usually from the front where it drips on to the driver and passengers feet. Although it does not seem important, this can be a major irritant in the rains.

I had hard top's on both my Gypsy's. Metal body on the first one which was good but increased the weight a lot thus putting extra load on the already under powered 1000 cc engine. Apart from that no issues.

The next was an original fibre hard top from the factory. Yes! It did rattle a bit. Remember, if you keep taking it off and putting it back on, the rattles will get worse as the threads get looser each time.

I had after market A/C's fitted in both vehicles. No problems with the old Gypsy (1000 cc) but major over heating problems in the King. I think some one has already stated this.

Cougar was absolutely right when he says - after a while the "desire" disappears. Also, remember that at 50 one gets used to certain creature comforts which the Gypsy does not have.

Note that some spare parts may be hard to get.

If you are used to power steering, the Gypsy will seem like a truck. However, if you want to build up your biceps.....

Regards,

SS
Old 26th July 2009, 10:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
First of all - Gypsy's leak. Usually from the front where it drips on to the driver and passengers feet. Although it does not seem important, this can be a major irritant in the rains.
Very true. Mine does too: so badly that a cross bar/footrest type thing that runs just above the floor on the co-drivers side is completely rusted: on a 2 year old car! I think the main culprit is the clumsily designed air inlets. My mech was suggesting removing the dashboard, and covering the air intake in the grill type thingie ahead of the windshield with a layer of foam. This should also eliminate the problem of leaves getting in and blockign the air inlets and ducts: last time we pulled out close to half a kilo of dry leaves from the air vents etc.

Quote:
The next was an original fibre hard top from the factory. Yes! It did rattle a bit. Remember, if you keep taking it off and putting it back on, the rattles will get worse as the threads get looser each time.
I think the issue here is the temptation to repeatedly remove and refit the hard top. if left as it is, the hard top does good service actually. I have seen a HT gypsy used by the Commandant of the CME which had its interiors done up pretty luxoriously and doesnt rattle a bit! The ones that rattle are the ones that have had its top removed multiple times: each time it is fitted back on the joint fittings get that much looser. not a problem that cant be solved with some creative design!

Quote:
I had after market A/C's fitted in both vehicles. No problems with the old Gypsy (1000 cc) but major over heating problems in the King. I think some one has already stated this.
I think this problem of overheating at lower speeds/ilding is resolved by the fitment of an electric fan ahead of the radiator.

Quote:
If you are used to power steering, the Gypsy will seem like a truck. However, if you want to build up your biceps.....
With regular 205 Radials that come with teh civilian gypsy or the thinner 185P's that do duty on mine it is not too much of an issue: or mebbe we are just used to it. With thicker 215/235's u may need help from musclemen!
Old 26th July 2009, 11:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
My mech was suggesting removing the dashboard, and covering the air intake in the grill type thingie ahead of the windshield with a layer of foam. This should also eliminate the problem of leaves getting in and blockign the air inlets and ducts: last time we pulled out close to half a kilo of dry leaves from the air vents etc.
In nearly eight years of use, never had any leaves collecting in mine!
Because these vents had been sealed off on day 1 itself!!

Quote:
With regular 205 Radials that come with teh civilian gypsy or the thinner 185P's that do duty on mine it is not too much of an issue: or mebbe we are just used to it. With thicker 215/235's u may need help from musclemen!
I used 205 and 215 sizes with mine. It helped to keep my biceps well toned!
I don't think the 235s fit; they'll touch the mudguard liners at full lock.

In nearly eight years and 56000kms all that I had to get done was renewal of three 'crosses' in the driveshafts, after a trip to Spiti. The ultra-fine dust of Spiti has a way of working itself into sealed bearings!
The windshield wipers had to be serviced (became sluggish) about a year after the Spiti trip and what came out was again the fine dust of Spiti!
My aftermarket large size radiator (to provide for better engine cooling with retrofit AC) is the only item that gave 'trouble' - it developed minor leaks twice and had to be repaired/replaced.

All in all, the Gypsy is quite appropriately named - The King!
Though my experience was with the one litre model. Wonder if they make 'em like that anymore?
Old 26th July 2009, 12:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
All in all, the Gypsy is quite appropriately named - The King!
Though my experience was with the one litre model. Wonder if they make 'em like that anymore?
its much better now da!

difference between te 1.0->Carb King-MPFI King? its the same as foreplay-2nd base and S*X!
Old 26th July 2009, 12:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
difference between te 1.0->Carb King-MPFI King? its the same as foreplay-2nd base and S*X!
LOL, I'd probably settle for 2nd base!
Am rather wary about new tech with the attendant sensors and all the on-board electronics! To my mind there are more negatives than pluses with ECU controlled engines.
Good to remember that for the most part these are required mainly to meet emission norms and not entirely to increase real-world performance. Of course they are made to look very good on paper.....
Old 27th July 2009, 07:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sawyer,

I was in similar predicament before buying the Bolero. My requirements were primarily for a vehicle which would be able to take the bad roads and go off road into jungles regularly without too much of a fuss. Having been driven around in a Gypsy in my formative years, I had a special spot for it and had always wanted to own one. I went to two MUL dealers here in Hyd and was told that the following:
  1. Waiting time can be anywhere between 1 - 3 months based on the order lots
  2. MUL is only selling Soft Tops and that also in White Colour.
  3. Since Gypsy A/C Kit is not coming from Subros or any other MUL approved supplier, after market fitment of A/C will need to be done which can be arranged by MASS but will void the warranty on electricals and engine. I got this cross checked through my link in MUL and found to be true.
Since I wanted a new vehicle and also A/C without voiding the warranty, Gypsy wasn't for me.

Having said the above, I feel Gypsy is a very competent offroader and go-anywhere vehicle. If you want a 4X4 in the similar price range, the only other alternative you have is Mahindra Major.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2009, 09:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hi Sawyer,
  1. Waiting time can be anywhere between 1 - 3 months based on the order lots
  2. MUL is only selling Soft Tops and that also in White Colour.
  3. Since Gypsy A/C Kit is not coming from Subros or any other MUL approved supplier, after market fitment of A/C will need to be done which can be arranged by MASS but will void the warranty on electricals and engine. I got this cross checked through my link in MUL and found to be true.
1. Waiting time can stretch to a year as well. Here is what they do: MUL awaits a bulk order (say 100 units+) and take that lot up at a stretch. This could mean a month or even 10!
2. Gypsy is actually available in 4 colors: dark blue, red and white (non metallic), and Silver (Metallic).
3. Hard top option is standard.
4. True about the AC fitment.
Old 27th July 2009, 09:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey Cougar,

My responses in Bold

Quote:
1. Waiting time can stretch to a year as well. Here is what they do: MUL awaits a bulk order (say 100 units+) and take that lot up at a stretch. This could mean a month or even 10! I agree. I was looking in March and there was a lot of Army Gypsy's getting made
2. Gypsy is actually available in 4 colors: dark blue, red and white (non metallic), and Silver (Metallic). As I said in March there was a batch getting made and MUL is doing only ST and White even for the Armed Forces
3. Hard top option is standard. Not Any more. The RM confirmed now its only ST
I actually wanted to get the Gypsy because of two main reasons
1. Its a 4x4 go anywhere vehicle
2. Its a good 1.5 Lakh cheaper from my Bolero even with AC fitment.
And to add to the reason, wifey has also kinda smitten by it. So I went to great lengths to see if I could get one. The only issue that made me drop it like a Hot Potato was the warranty issue.

PS: For Gypsy one needs to pay the full amount to the dealer along with the booking and then only will they order the vehicle for you. And only SBI finances the vehicles.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2009, 10:05   #44
BHPian

@MileCruncher: I paid 50k to book the vehicle and another 2 l odd 8 months later when i was told the vehicle was ready for despatch. This was Sai Service. Its another matter, that the car came in only 3 months later!

I was told the exact same thing: that it is only avail in White. But i actually managed to get mine in a diff color which is not even in the list of regulars: ICY BLUE!

Also isnt the Bolero Sportz a lot ocheaper than the Gypsy. Back in 2007, the BS3 version sold for 4.88 OTR and BS2 ver for 4.34l.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@MileCruncher: I paid 50k to book the vehicle and another 2 l odd 8 months later when i was told the vehicle was ready for despatch. This was Sai Service. Its another matter, that the car came in only 3 months later!
Could one not ask to see the Maruti confirmation of readiness to despatch with chassis number, before handing over the full amount, to avoid this 3 month delay? Waiting 3 months after paying the full amount seems to be of another age!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks