Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 15:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In nearly eight years of use, never had any leaves collecting in mine!
Because these vents had been sealed off on day 1 itself!!

I used 205 and 215 sizes with mine. It helped to keep my biceps well toned!
I assume that the vent sealing off was done knowing this problem - what else did you do on similar lines to the car in anticipation?
I plan to switch to Geolandars on day 1 - in the 205 section OE size. Is there anything significant to be gained in ride comfort via the larger 215/70 tyre?
Old 10th August 2009, 13:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I assume that the vent sealing off was done knowing this problem - what else did you do on similar lines to the car in anticipation?
Ah, Sawyer, sorry for the late response!

I was planning to fit AC, so the thermostatic valve assembly was also removed and a large size radiator was fitted. Bought from Rajdhani radiators in New Delhi. This radiator is about the only component that gave me trouble over the next 7 years! Found small leaks twice and had to get them brazed.

The larger tyres did not offer any tangible benefit that I can recall. Only the bling factor!

And yes, the fresh air intakes were sealed off because my regular garage knew this leads to problems later!

Last edited by anupmathur : 10th August 2009 at 13:24.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Great Anup, thanks! I hear you about the replacement radiator experience, loud and clear. As I have posted elsewhere, I intend to start with just a fan in the cabin pointed at me and see how that goes.
And for now, I will stick to the OE size when I retyre. No more interest in bling.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great Anup, thanks! .....
No more interest in bling.
You're welcome, Sawyer!
You've read my post right.
I too am no longer the least bit interested in bling! Age? Older and wiser .....
Old 10th August 2009, 13:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Age? Older and wiser .....
You said it right brother, the first part for sure, the second is often a two steps forward a step back kind of a thing!
Old 10th August 2009, 14:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

Sawyer, go ahead with the Gypsy and 'learn' to enjoy it. You will!
That's a machine that has left a soft corner in the heart of anyone that ever used one! Early love or first love perhaps, but my Scorpio 4WD does not evoke the same emotions that Gypsy did!
Again, age, perhaps, LOL!
Old 11th August 2009, 18:08   #67
Senior - BHPian

My Gypsy experience starts with Sai Service now saying that what they told me last week was a mistake and all Gypsies take 45 days from the date of booking! So now I have to again decide between HT and ST, and not look for the virtues of the HT because that is available ex stock! I have sent Maruti a missive for advice on availability on their contact us part of their site, and hopefully, I will get some fact based advice from them on this subject. I guess in the meantime it makes sense to have the clock start by putting down the Rs 50k.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The larger tyres did not offer any tangible benefit that I can recall. Only the bling factor!
Here is the choice available - the Geolandars are available in the 205/70/15 OE size only, in Pune. A very handsome looking all terrain BF Goodrich is also available, but only in the 215/75/15 size. The BFG fitted stock wheel would be significantly larger in overall diameter. Question I have is will it result in any kind of fouling with the wheel arches, at full lock or in any other position? I realize that it will make the steering more of an effort, and knock back the FE a bit, but is there any other down size to that size for the Gypsy? Because I suspect that it may do the ride some favors in addition to a little better off road performance.
And here is a new twist in the tale of availability. I am told today that a soft top in harvest green color is shown to be available today on the Maruti intranet. Sai does not have a clue as to how a car other than one in the 4 colors supposed to be the range has been made in the first place, but it shows up on their screen. Harvest green is very close to the Army olive green, but is more of a purer green shade, that was common in the 800s a decade or so ago. Both on the basis of availability, and the memory of that colour, I have asked Sai to grab that car. Fingers crossed, but there may still be twists in the tale.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:06   #69
Sha
BHPian

Green color funda even i heard when I want to book it but later it was said no stock, so better check out again. Now onwards you will hear all type of stories.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Green color funda even i heard when I want to book it but later it was said no stock, so better check out again. Now onwards you will hear all type of stories.
Don't go away, I will be sure to keep you posted!
PS:Just got a call from Sai to confirm the change from the booked white to the green, so that they can formally indent the car. So far so good!

Last edited by Sawyer : 12th August 2009 at 15:34. Reason: PS
Old 12th August 2009, 15:58   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I used to have Fat 215 75 R 15 Ceat Rhino Radials on my Gypsy when I upgraded from the standard HT75 Nylon tyres. I had also changed the steering wheel to a smaller racing type - all this was about 7 years back.

My own experience was that since Gypsy doesnt have Power Steering, it was pretty difficult to turn especially while trying to do a U Turn in crowded traffic conditions.

I ve found that the best for deep slush and swamp driving will always be those old stock nylon jeep type tyres - largely because the footprint and area in contact with the surface is much less and therefore, much less likely to get bogged down.

I ve not driven with All Terrain Tyres or Mud Terrain Tyres in such conditions but I hear from some experienced friends that the Mud Terrain Tyres are awesome for serious slushy conditions.

Ref the colour - that Dark Green is really quite nice - and the hard top will invariably be white so you will have a nice dual tone Gyp.

According to me the Dark Green Body is better than the White.

Cheers

Shankar

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th August 2009 at 16:02.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I used to have Fat 215 75 R 15 Ceat Rhino Radials on my Gypsy when I upgraded from the standard HT75 Nylon tyres. I had also changed the steering wheel to a smaller racing type - all this was about 7 years back.

My own experience was that since Gypsy doesnt have Power Steering, it was pretty difficult to turn especially while trying to do a U Turn in crowded traffic conditions.

I ve found that the best for deep slush and swamp driving will always be those old stock nylon jeep type tyres - largely because the footprint and area in contact with the surface is much less and therefore, much less likely to get bogged down.

Shankar
I am not going to lose leverage by downsizing the steering wheel and the OEs are 205 already, so would the 215s make a huge additional impact on steering effort? My bigger concern on this aspect is fouling.
And would a wider section not spread the load to reduce the psi pressure on the ground, thereby leading to lesser chances of being bogged down? Isn't that why sand driving is done on reduced tyre pressures?
Am no expert in all this, so the questions are to solicit input. I would love to go with the BFGs that are a great deal as well, but if I am advised to stick to the OEs by folks here, I will do so. But instinctively, I also know that a 235 section is a bad idea for me at least.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:51   #73
Sha
BHPian

Go for 215 size I use the same size and no problem in city traffic also. I prefer Geo's excellent tires driven almost 25K no issue at all. done many OTR's, Ladakh trip and Higways no issue.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

In the tyre shop I checked, the Geo available was in 205/70 only. BFGs were in 215/75. In size, your 215/70 Geos would fall in between the two. After hearing from others about the use of the BFG, I will take a call.
Thanks for your input.
PS: Were the OE tyres tubeless radials? MRFs?
Old 12th August 2009, 17:55   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

cool:
my take
in SAND yes - they usually reduce pressure and reduce pressure on the ground too - however i havent seen a similar thing being done in SLUSHY MUD conditions which are the only conditions I am familiar with.
While I have sat in a Toyota LandCruiser on Sand, I have never driven in Sand except on the Madras beach in my old Gypsy so I am not an expert on that. However I ve done a reasonable amount of slush and mud driving so I was sharing my experience on that.
Yes i also agree, better to keep the original steering wheel - no point fiddling with that.
To answer your query - I never found any fouling to happen with my 215 75 R 15 tyres - I had the wide track Gypsy but mine was not a King. However, it had the flared wheel arches etc. (had posted some pics elsewhere on another thread - forgot that thread's name though)
You could check if you like on this Forum.

Cheers
sb

Quote:
I am not going to lose leverage by downsizing the steering wheel and the OEs are 205 already, so would the 215s make a huge additional impact on steering effort? My bigger concern on this aspect is fouling.
And would a wider section not spread the load to reduce the psi pressure on the ground, thereby leading to lesser chances of being bogged down? Isn't that why sand driving is done on reduced tyre pressures?
Am no expert in all this, so the questions are to solicit input. I would love to go with the BFGs that are a great deal as well, but if I am advised to stick to the OEs by folks here, I will do so. But instinctively, I also know that a 235 section is a bad idea for me at least.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks