Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 12:22   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

try buying the latest issue of What car?

indeed it appears that used Pajeros are around at about 12-13 lacs and i feel these would be a great bet.

used Tucson also would be good based on some of the earlier posts here where people have spoken well about the way some of them have stood up to 5 years of use.

but Forester in my opinion would not be such a great idea because of the fact that it is out of production, spares are unavailable and expensive, it is a petrol driven car and therefore would work out quite expensive to run and maintain plus the fact that Chevy India's after sales service is not all that renowned for high standards of service delivery.

suggest you pick up the What Car? mag and go over some of the data available in it. Since the Tucson shares its platform and engine and many other parts with the Elantra you could read what they've written about buying an used Elantra as well - this will serve as a good indicator for you, before you take the plunge.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th October 2009 at 12:23.
Old 13th October 2009, 10:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Forrester is totally out of the question. A friend recently actually almost donated his car as it was frightfully expensive to retain & run.

Pajero makes sense in the 12-14L bracket, many are available.

Tucson is available at near 17L from the Showroom (on road). There are used ones in the range of 7-9L depending on mileage & general condition.

I have found out from Hyundai about part prices etc. To my surprise, it is fairly affordable to completely refurbish including fresh paint etc. So - thus far, this is the situation. Looking at a decision soon.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2009, 11:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

why not Terracan

Terracan is based on Pajaro (if I understand correctly) but it still looks lot more contemporary compared to the Pajaro sold here. I was going through some international reviews and they had rated it very high, especially he engine and offroadability part. Since it is also a seven seater, it may be worth taking a look.
Old 14th October 2009, 17:38   #49
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So we are deviating from the Tucson, Frankly the advent of Fortuner at 18.5 L has brought down the true value of used Endy (even the new one for that matter), the Pajero, Captiva, tucson, Terracam etc.

To me it does not seem to make sense to plonk Rs, 12-14 L in a used Pajero with a new fortuner comming in for just 5-6l more.

Tucsons around 7 L seem about right, as do the Terracams, even the absurdly low priced forrester (for lack of parts) seems sensible. How much do you loose even if you throw away the car in 2 years buy for 3L and throw away for 40K - Loss 2.6L, instead buy a pajero or endy for 10-12 L and in two year find it at 7L - that is a worse deal and a loss of 5L.
Old 14th October 2009, 19:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So we are deviating from the Tucson, Frankly the advent of Fortuner at 18.5 L has brought down the true value of used Endy (even the new one for that matter), the Pajero, Captiva, tucson, Terracam etc.

To me it does not seem to make sense to plonk Rs, 12-14 L in a used Pajero with a new fortuner comming in for just 5-6l more.

Tucsons around 7 L seem about right, as do the Terracams, even the absurdly low priced forrester (for lack of parts) seems sensible. How much do you loose even if you throw away the car in 2 years buy for 3L and throw away for 40K - Loss 2.6L, instead buy a pajero or endy for 10-12 L and in two year find it at 7L - that is a worse deal and a loss of 5L.
Tucson and Pajero are entirely different cars. While Pajero can never match Tucson's performance, refinement and on road manners with Tucson you can never expect Pajero's offroad ability and capacity to take abuse.

At the price they are available i would suggest you to go in for Tucson.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

For one I never really liked the Terracan. Parts for it are a major problem even today (Hyundai Dealer's words). The Tucson may lack the snob value for which I really never cared, but it does the job VERY well.

Right now I am swinging between the used option & the brand new one. I think I may loose money on the new one in loads if I sell in about 4-5 years, but the pleasure & reliability of a new car (kind of) makes up for it.

Head says used - heart says new !

Thanks all you guys for the advice.

Cheers
Old 14th October 2009, 22:46   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Rather than buying a new Tucson you can try out Chevy Captiva manual, you may miss the AWD but will serve your purpose well. Plus it will depreciate less than a Tucson.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Rather than buying a new Tucson you can try out Chevy Captiva manual, you may miss the AWD but will serve your purpose well. Plus it will depreciate less than a Tucson.

I did a TD of the Captiva LT. Inside the car is great, everything feels nice, but the turbo lag is serious. I had to get the car out of a basement parking on a ramp where my Octy crawls even without accelerator, the Captiva was well (to put it mildly) miserable. Nothing happened till I revved it upto 2000 RPM & then she crawled out.

That did not give me a very nice feeling. Tucson on the other hand, has no such issues. Or maybe it is just me.

Cheers
Old 15th October 2009, 10:37   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Again my Rs0.02 worth - VFM proposition is way off. It is really not meant for (soft)off road as it has very limited (though capable) AWD potential. And it does not sell so resale is a value loss trap. IMHO a bit dated looks.
That said however home is where heart is.
Old 15th October 2009, 22:43   #55
R_R
BHPian

Buying a used 4x4, would'nt one have to worry about messed-up transmission, with the previous owner (or more likely, some driver chappie who does'nt know any better) misusing the 4x4? How does one check for such kind of damage? Any 4x4 gurus here have advice for novices like me?
Old 19th October 2009, 10:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Take the SUV in question to the A.S.Center & have it checked, infact I'd take a written estimate of the work that needs to be done - that way you have a fairly precise idea of the money needed to get the vehicle back into top form.

Cheers
Old 20th October 2009, 17:28   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Take the SUV in question to the A.S.Center & have it checked, infact I'd take a written estimate of the work that needs to be done - that way you have a fairly precise idea of the money needed to get the vehicle back into top form.

Cheers
Works on paper but somehow not in reality, infact once I even paid for the total service of the car myself and spoke to the service centre guy about the possible expenses, in the near future and the vehicle was in warranty, and yet there were issues both within warranty and soon out of warranty.

That said, I would again do the same next time when I pick up a used car.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:37   #58
BHPian

Tucson 5 seater or 7 seater

A bit OT. But I like to know whether Tucson is 5 seater or 7 seater.

I think it is a 5 seater and can be converted to 7 although not recommended.

Why I am having a confusion. As carwale is mentioning it as a 7 seater.
Hyundai Tucson CRDi Details - CarWale.com

Somebody Please confirm.
Thanks
Old 20th October 2009, 21:12   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Tucson is a 5 seater, converting it to 7 seater is not a practical option, although you can place a seat in the boot but high floor will ensure that it wont be comfortable.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Tucson is sold as a five seater. The boot as it is, is small. At best you can put an improvised bench on one or both sides. Will leave no space for anything else. Not a good idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks